Wow, my first ribbon, and with a picture I'm very fond of.
A bit disappointed with the score, but I see the average for this challenge is extremely low.
Thank you all for the nice comments and votes!
Well, this one started out as a joke, like many other ideas of mine.
Both me and my girlfriend love post apocalyptic scenarios, so we started searching for a make-believe post apocalyptic place near here.
The original idea should have had zombies in it, but we didn't find any friend of ours available for the shooting (damn' monday sessions), so we tweaked the shot a bit.
The location wasn't quite like we expected, so we switched from a post-apocalyptic "modern" scenario to a "vintage" one, that's why I decided to go for a grungy, desaturated post-processing.
Anyway we got there, shot a couple ones and picked this for the challenge!
I have to thank my Giulia, as always, for her endless patience and her complicity - not to mention her beauty, expressiveness and skills, since she is a pretty darn good cosplayer.
I hope you'll appreciate the execution (no unnecessary gore) and the post processing, and hope you'll forgive me for the black nail polish: we were in such a rush that we completely forgot to remove it.
Place: 3 out of 54 Avg (all users): 6.1364 Avg (commenters): 9.0000 Avg (participants): 5.7826 Avg (non-participants): 6.3256 Views since voting: 1059 Views during voting: 134 Votes: 66 Comments: 12 Favorites: 3 (view)
Wow, I am very impressed. I would love to know how you put this together. I love this technique. Big Congratulations Woo Hoo!
Thank you Susie!
The idea came to mind pretty easily, since both me and my girlfriend are huge fans of the "post-apocalyptic", both litterature and film.
I was oriented to a "modern" post-apo scenario, at first, but then I switched it to a more "grungy" one.
The grungy texture I used is to emphasize the "danger" feel to the overall picture. My original idea had zombies in it, so... :)
I initially shot this with my 85mm, but I noticed I couldn't quite get the background I wanted; than I switched to the 24-70 at f/2.8, so that I could have the background gradually blurred; this is what I was going for, as I wanted to show the scene, but not making it distracting.
The post-processing is a bit "aggressive", but is what I though would have fit the picture best.
I played mainly with desaturation (shifted green to yellow) and clarity, but not overall clarity, since it would have ebitter the background.
Incredible work! Must have taken a lot of effort to pull this off. Well it paid off. Congrats!
Thank you so much Paul!
The worst part was driving to the location (1h drive) with a big chance of getting into a heavy rain.
We were lucky, since it rained during the whole trip and stopped just a few minutes before we reached the place, so the rain cleared up the air a bit and I could have the mountains on the background (blurred mountains) instead of a sea of fog and clouds, which would have been great for some nice landscape shots, but not for what I intended to achieve here.
I went to this place a few years ago to shoot something with alexkc, so I thought it would have been perfect for this kind of picture, but I couldn't remember it quite clearly, so I was pretty pleased to see that the background was actually what I needed for this :)