DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> photojournalist challenge
Pages:  
Showing posts 26 - 50 of 92, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/18/2002 03:42:58 PM · #26
nevermind this post...gone

* This message has been edited by the author on 11/18/2002 4:03:41 PM.
11/18/2002 03:56:12 PM · #27
You guys..... Your newspaper is on the web! My newspaper comes out once a week and tells who had Sunday dinner with whom, and who is visiting from out of town..........................
11/18/2002 04:00:50 PM · #28
I was sitting at a stop light today waiting to turn right, I was thinking that this challenge was too funny, we're going to get arrested for chasing ambulances this week. No sooner than I thought that, than a fire truck went speeding by me to the left. I turned left from the right turn lane just to chase the fire truck! A car pulled out in front of me and I lost the fire truck. I then drove around for 45 minutes trying to find the fire. I finally found it. A house!! I was so excited. (for the challenge, not the people who were out a house) However when I drove near, trying to take some snaps, I got chased away by a very angry guy in uniform. *sigh* all I got was a couple pics of fire trucks. Wish me better luck on my next high speed chase.
~Heather~
11/18/2002 04:02:07 PM · #29
Originally posted by boyte1:
You guys..... Your newspaper is on the web! My newspaper comes out once a week and tells who had Sunday dinner with whom, and who is visiting from out of town..........................

My paper may be on the web, but it seems to be following the same format as your paper. It's nice to know who is visiting from out of town. Where everybody knows your name..da da da. =-)

11/18/2002 04:02:44 PM · #30
Advanced Photojournalism at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill:
Check it out
11/18/2002 04:03:39 PM · #31
Originally posted by boyte1:
You guys..... Your newspaper is on the web! My newspaper comes out once a week and tells who had Sunday dinner with whom, and who is visiting from out of town..........................

LOL. MINE TOO!! Does yours list the blood donors who have donated a gallon or more lifetime? And the local bowling scores? Would you believe, front page news this week (front page, out of all 8 pages) was that a swan died on our pond. For gosh sakes, our "Pets of the week" are repeating!!
~Heather~
11/18/2002 04:06:04 PM · #32
Originally posted by hbunch7187:
I was sitting at a stop light today waiting to turn right, I was thinking that this challenge was too funny, we're going to get arrested for chasing ambulances this week. No sooner than I thought that, than a fire truck went speeding by me to the left. I turned left from the right turn lane just to chase the fire truck! A car pulled out in front of me and I lost the fire truck. I then drove around for 45 minutes trying to find the fire. I finally found it. A house!! I was so excited. (for the challenge, not the people who were out a house) However when I drove near, trying to take some snaps, I got chased away by a very angry guy in uniform. *sigh* all I got was a couple pics of fire trucks. Wish me better luck on my next high speed chase.
~Heather~


*sigh* I guess that's why I'll never be a photojournalist. I'd feel like I was getting in the way, but that's part of the job, isn't it?
11/18/2002 04:09:25 PM · #33
LOL. MINE TOO!! Does yours list the blood donors who have donated a gallon or more lifetime? And the local bowling scores? Would you believe, front page news this week (front page, out of all 8 pages) was that a swan died on our pond. For gosh sakes, our "Pets of the week" are repeating!!
~Heather~
[/i]

My paper used to have the blood doner's listed whenever there was a blood drive, but not anymore. They do have the local bowling scores. Front page news for this week: A couple is opening a Chinese restaurant (and that is pretty damn exciting).
11/18/2002 04:38:20 PM · #34
When I worked at my hometown's local radio station we used to break into local programming to bring the location of fires when the whistles blew downtown! And, if that's not funny enough, this announcement was sponsored by a local insurance company.

I know this story isn't exactly photography-related, but some of the small town photos you've mentioned in this thread have reminded me of this practice at good ole WPXZ, Punxsutawney, PA! :)

As a PS -- I did indeed shoot my share of blood drive photos when I worked for the local paper, too. Considering some of the scary stuff I see in the big newspapers around here, I have to admit I kinda miss the small town stuff...

* This message has been edited by the author on 11/18/2002 4:37:04 PM.
11/18/2002 04:49:26 PM · #35
Forgive me if this was already said, because I didn't read all the entries in this thread, but.. is photojournalism also about a story pertaining to society as well as news worthy photos? Ex. teen pregnancy, domestic violence, Church Lady Quilters Night, Bingo Night, etc? You don't necessarily have to get out there and chase ambulances. Here's a chance to be really creative. :0)



* This message has been edited by the author on 11/18/2002 4:46:45 PM.
11/18/2002 05:00:52 PM · #36
Heather, You better be careful, I heard that you will get a big fine for following a fire engine or ambulance. I am not saying don't do it. but just be careful. I do the same when there is a fire or a tornado warning. My whole family jumps in the van and play detectives or storm chasers. Here are some pictures of a fire that was about 10 miles north of our town. I was told to leave after about 10 minutes of taking pictures.
Fire pictures

Originally posted by hbunch7187:
I was sitting at a stop light today waiting to turn right, I was thinking that this challenge was too funny, we're going to get arrested for chasing ambulances this week. No sooner than I thought that, than a fire truck went speeding by me to the left. I turned left from the right turn lane just to chase the fire truck! A car pulled out in front of me and I lost the fire truck. I then drove around for 45 minutes trying to find the fire. I finally found it. A house!! I was so excited. (for the challenge, not the people who were out a house) However when I drove near, trying to take some snaps, I got chased away by a very angry guy in uniform. *sigh* all I got was a couple pics of fire trucks. Wish me better luck on my next high speed chase.
~Heather~


11/18/2002 05:30:51 PM · #37
In order for photojournalism to be successful it has to touch a significant amount of people. It needs to be an important event or discovery or whatever.. for more than just the photographer. If you can manage to take a photojournalistic shot that appeals to most people you're set.
11/18/2002 05:40:15 PM · #38
Originally posted by carsten:
Advanced Photojournalism at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill:
Check it out


Wow. Great site. see? a beautiful candid that tells a story.

11/18/2002 05:53:58 PM · #39
Originally posted by jumpn2it:
but then all those questions from the police, "Why did you have your camera in a bank sir?" I'd reply, "Here's my DPChallenge media pass."

any possibility DPC can issue us media credentials? that would be great! :o)
11/18/2002 06:05:36 PM · #40
Originally posted by Anachronite:
Originally posted by jumpn2it:
[i]but then all those questions from the police, "Why did you have your camera in a bank sir?" I'd reply, "Here's my DPChallenge media pass."


any possibility DPC can issue us media credentials? that would be great! :o)[/i]

I'll work on a design. If I make it an Acrobat PDF form folks can download it, fill in their info (in their own fonts -- I'll see if there's a way to drop in your photo), and print it out. Unless I'm told not to...
11/18/2002 06:11:12 PM · #41
Originally posted by Sonifo:
Heather, You better be careful...My whole family jumps in the van and play detectives or storm chasers. Here are some pictures of a fire that was about 10 miles north of our town. I was told to leave after about 10 minutes of taking pictures.
Fire pictures


Someone's gonna have to go to court or jail to protect OUR First Amendment rights...One advantage of shooting from a moving car is the police are less likely to be telling you to "move along" if you're already doing 70mph...
Forest Fires, Southern Oregon
11/18/2002 06:20:37 PM · #42
Originally posted by GeneralE:
Originally posted by Anachronite:
[i]Originally posted by jumpn2it:
[i]but then all those questions from the police, "Why did you have your camera in a bank sir?" I'd reply, "Here's my DPChallenge media pass."


any possibility DPC can issue us media credentials? that would be great! :o)[/i]

I'll work on a design. If I make it an Acrobat PDF form folks can download it, fill in their info (in their own fonts -- I'll see if there's a way to drop in your photo), and print it out. Unless I'm told not to...[/i]

Great idea. I've said something like it to folks, but no one really believes it. If you could also make a MS Word or PPT version, I think the photos will drop in easier.
11/18/2002 06:21:27 PM · #43
LOL, your to funny. Hey great pictures.

Originally posted by GeneralE:
Originally posted by Sonifo:
[i]Heather, You better be careful...My whole family jumps in the van and play detectives or storm chasers. Here are some pictures of a fire that was about 10 miles north of our town. I was told to leave after about 10 minutes of taking pictures.
Fire pictures


Someone's gonna have to go to court or jail to protect OUR First Amendment rights...One advantage of shooting from a moving car is the police are less likely to be telling you to "move along" if you're already doing 70mph...
Forest Fires, Southern Oregon[/i]

11/18/2002 06:49:40 PM · #44
Originally posted by GeneralE:
Originally posted by Anachronite:
[i]Originally posted by jumpn2it:
[i]but then all those questions from the police, "Why did you have your camera in a bank sir?" I'd reply, "Here's my DPChallenge media pass."


any possibility DPC can issue us media credentials? that would be great! :o)[/i]

I'll work on a design. If I make it an Acrobat PDF form folks can download it, fill in their info (in their own fonts -- I'll see if there's a way to drop in your photo), and print it out. Unless I'm told not to...[/i]


hey great! if we had these there's no telling where we could go... most of the rent-a-guards are fairly lax and would probably hardly give it a second glance... you'd be amazed at the places you can go just by telling someone you have the right to be there... lol.. I had a friend that had an uncanny knack for this... he got us on the field for several professional football games. We would get in the VIP parking lot for free.. sometimes telling them we were with NBC or whatever, and once when he told them I was "so and so" the 3rd string quarterback... the guard smiled and said "hello mr. so and so, ya'll go right in"... lol and with no ID check! We even went in the locker room once... lol was funny... it's been years since I tried anything that crazy, but with a pass to legitimize things, we could probably get into some neat places... the skys the limit!
11/18/2002 08:02:23 PM · #45
Originally posted by hbunch7187:
I was sitting at a stop light today waiting to turn right, I was thinking that this challenge was too funny, we're going to get arrested for chasing ambulances this week. No sooner than I thought that, than a fire truck went speeding by me to the left. I turned left from the right turn lane just to chase the fire truck! A car pulled out in front of me and I lost the fire truck. I then drove around for 45 minutes trying to find the fire. I finally found it. A house!! I was so excited. (for the challenge, not the people who were out a house) However when I drove near, trying to take some snaps, I got chased away by a very angry guy in uniform. *sigh* all I got was a couple pics of fire trucks. Wish me better luck on my next high speed chase.
~Heather~


Heather, I'm glad to see your post. I hadn't seen anything from you in a while and hoped everything was ok. Ya get used to seeing people around here.
Also...wondering about RedRuthAnn. Haven't seen her around here lately. Heyyyyy Ruthann.....where are you???

11/19/2002 12:50:31 AM · #46
My favorite photojournalist (maybe 'cause I've known him over 20 years and help design his first two books) is
Lonny Shavelson.

His approach is usually quite different -- an in-depth look at a subject
using primarily portraiture and interviews; only occasionally
documenting an occurring event. His subjects are those usually
spurned or ignored by the "mainstream" media, including drug addicts,
toxic waste, people in (and out of) mental institutions, and people
contemplating assisted suicide.
He used to work all in B+W in his home darkroom, but I think he's
gone digital for a couple of years at least. Here's direct links to some of
his books, but there's a bunch of other interesting links to his work
there too.
HOOKED
I'm Not Crazy, I Just Lost My Glasses
Toxic Nation

He also (somehow) works a "day job" as an emergency room physician...

* This message has been edited by the author on 11/19/2002 12:50:01 AM.
11/22/2002 04:42:29 PM · #47
As an excuse for bumping this to the active area I can report that I spent most of yesterday afternoon listening to radio reports of an armed bank robbery and a separate gunman/hostage situation within 2 miles of each other, and about 5 miles from me -- I decided my current submission is "good enough!"
11/22/2002 06:47:20 PM · #48
Originally posted by GeneralE:
As an excuse for bumping this to the active area I can report that I spent most of yesterday afternoon listening to radio reports of an armed bank robbery and a separate gunman/hostage situation within 2 miles of each other, and about 5 miles from me -- I decided my current submission is "good enough!"

Keeping the bump going.
Did you ever get a chance to outline a "media pass" ?
11/22/2002 07:24:55 PM · #49
Originally posted by jimmsp:
Keeping the bump going.
Did you ever get a chance to outline a "media pass" ?


I think I'll wait now a little and make it compatible with DPC2. Any idea what the "standard" size would be? I might start the layout this weekend if I finish voting.
11/22/2002 08:22:33 PM · #50
Originally posted by GeneralE:
Originally posted by jimmsp:
[i]Keeping the bump going.
Did you ever get a chance to outline a "media pass" ?


I think I'll wait now a little and make it compatible with DPC2. Any idea what the "standard" size would be? I might start the layout this weekend if I finish voting.[/i]

As for size, I would guess 3" wide x 5" long would be about right. Big enough to laminate and be seen from a few feet away, but small enough that if hung around the neck, would not be a big hindrance to the wearer.

As for voting, I have one more pass to do, plus more comments. If the weather is as poor as they forecast for here, or the Vikings play poorly, I'll get it all done on Sunday.

Jim
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/23/2020 06:46:23 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/23/2020 06:46:23 PM EST.