Camera: Olympus C-8080
Location: On porch
Galleries: Humorous, Studio
Date Uploaded: Aug 12, 2008
Favorites: 1 (view)
The day after the challenge is announced I told my husband several additional ideas that I had. He shook his head at practically all of them and said you need something better like....Ducktor Who. My jaw dropped. "BRILLIANT!" I said.
Luckily we have some friends and their children who are into Doctor Who - I am thankful that they let me borrow K-9 and the Dalek for the shoot.
Attempts at finding a royalty free space backdrop image (I wanted an Orion Nebula) did not pan out. I tried to create my own using the technique of plastic coated paper, several colors of paint, and water spray bottle. The attempt was an utter failure. It then dawned on me that I could possibly find something suitable at the fabric store. Went and found what I needed. The Doctor just would not be the Doctor without his Tardis. Sooooo....I built the darn thing. Materials used in making the Tardis was a Wood Bird House, several strips of balsa wood, THE GLUE GUN (geez, have been using that alot), blue spray paint, reflective 'glass'like paper, sharpie, computer to create Police Box signs & the bulleton pasted on side door, and small halogen light bulb for the top of the Tardis. Tardis could be better but it looks darn close. The Ductor's hat and hair was found in the Doll section of Michael's Arts & Crafts. The scarf I cut from white cloth and then colored the stripes on with markers after looking at Tom Baker's Doctor.
To those who love David Tennant or Christopher Eccleston's portrayl of the Doctor - I TRIED AND TRIED but I could NOT make a good looking leather duster jacket or pinstrip suit on the Duck. Plus I could not get the hair right for Tennant's Doctor. So, all told pre-production was 3 days.
The Photo Shoot
The first shoot I did on Saturday along with another Duck idea. After set-up and fiddling with lighting and positioning the two shoots took 4 hours.
After the shoot, I looked at them on the computer and found some flaws - mainly with lighting and composition. So back to the drawing board.
Monday's reshoot took just about as long as the first shoot. This time I arranged the Ducktor and to be more of the main subject by putting him front and center with the other elements in the backdrop as supporting cast.
Oh, and the conditions - it was bloody hot out on the porch where I set up the studio. Add lights and you have a real sweat bucket. Two hours later, a thunderstorm rolled in and the winds are blowing the rain in on the covered porch (blowing in at a 45 degree angle) and my whole back gets soaking wet while trying to protect the camera and the set with black curtain I held up.
Oh, and get this I decided to do a google search on my two Duckie ideas Sunday night....turns out that a UK company will be coming out with a Ducktor Who (Tom Baker's portrayl even!) September 15! Just too weird!
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks
. Current Server Time: 10/22/2021 12:14:40 PM EDT.