"On the night of February 1, 1877 John Gilson and his wife, who owned a farm on the valley plateau on northern Oak Hill Road, were returning home from visiting friends to the south. A winter storm had caused the waters of Furnace Run, which they had to cross, to churn furiously. As they reached the stream they "found a large cake of ice had washed into the road which so obstructed the driveway that they had to pass around it". In bypassing, Mrs. Gilson was thrown into the rapidly rising stream. John lost his footing and was dragged by his panicked horse into deeper water which was cold and swirling with ice. Mrs. Gilson was rescued by a local resident, but John's body was not recovered until four days later. The death of this prominent citizen led to the construction of the Everett Road covered bridge in 1878."