DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Mathematics!
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 50, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/11/2008 09:06:21 PM · #1
I'm thrilled about this one -- hoping I can bring something original to the table. (My degree's in math.)

For inspiration, I think the Pi challenges are the closest thing we've had:

Pi

Pi II
08/12/2008 02:25:30 AM · #2
Okay, here's my original idea, and I don't want anyone copying this novel idea:

"I see somebody standing in front of a chalkboard full of complicated looking algebra."
08/12/2008 02:35:07 AM · #3
Originally posted by scrybz:

Okay, here's my original idea, and I don't want anyone copying this novel idea:

"I see somebody standing in front of a chalkboard full of complicated looking algebra."


I thought of it first...hehehehe!
08/12/2008 02:36:36 AM · #4
and i see a guy in a wheelchair with a laptop
08/12/2008 04:27:02 AM · #5
Originally posted by bvy:

I'm thrilled about this one -- hoping I can bring something original to the table. (My degree's in math.)

For inspiration, I think the Pi challenges are the closest thing we've had:

Pi

Pi II

At least it's not a woody challenge!
08/12/2008 07:18:45 AM · #6
Originally posted by scrybz:

Okay, here's my original idea, and I don't want anyone copying this novel idea:

"I see somebody standing in front of a chalkboard full of complicated looking algebra."


Before you fill that chalkboard with "complicated looking algebra" make sure it's something substantial -- or at least correct! I see a lot of bad math going up just for the visual, and I suspect I won't be the only one put off by it. I'll be grading -- er, I mean, voting in this one.
08/12/2008 07:22:03 AM · #7
Wonder if a shot of my income tax form would count? Makes my brain hurt just to look at it.
08/12/2008 08:38:43 AM · #8
Math is not my strong suit, but there are some alternate numbering systems involved with computers and networks. I have (what I think is) a good idea for this one. I like it when I come up with my idea early in the week, so I have time to work out the details. It'll be another opportunity to work on improving my lighting skills.

Message edited by author 2008-08-12 08:39:13.
08/12/2008 08:40:38 AM · #9
lucky me

I can only count to 7 (I have three fingers missing)
08/12/2008 08:41:47 AM · #10
Originally posted by Oded:

lucky me

I can only count to 7 (I have three fingers missing)


Hey, that's a prime number.
08/12/2008 07:56:34 PM · #11
Originally posted by cutout:

and i see a guy in a wheelchair with a laptop


No pressure Jan, but I'm expecting something really good from you in this challenge.
08/12/2008 08:02:21 PM · #12
Personally I would like to see a quadratic equation
08/12/2008 08:54:30 PM · #13
I should warn you not to go too deep in math. Anything beyond Calculus would probably stretch it ;p
08/13/2008 01:08:57 AM · #14
Originally posted by bvy:

I'm thrilled about this one -- hoping I can bring something original to the table. (My degree's in math.)

For inspiration, I think the Pi challenges are the closest thing we've had:

Pi

Pi II


Also the School Days: Geometry challenge.
08/13/2008 01:10:29 AM · #15
Originally posted by Gotaka:

I should warn you not to go too deep in math. Anything beyond Calculus would probably stretch it ;p


Do you mean that people won't understand, and therefore mark your image down?
08/13/2008 02:25:09 AM · #16
Originally posted by Lonni:

Originally posted by Gotaka:

I should warn you not to go too deep in math. Anything beyond Calculus would probably stretch it ;p


Do you mean that people won't understand, and therefore mark your image down?

That's right. If I can't solve the equation in your entry, I'll go ballistic and slap it with a 1. ;-)

Just kidding. So was Gotaka I suspect. Just have fun with it. ...as fun as the subject of math can allow anyway. :)
08/13/2008 05:34:08 AM · #17
Oh, great. I have way too many 'good' ideas for this challenge, which seems to be a bad sign for me. I get attached to an idea, then when I don't have the skill to execute it I can't drop it (and submit anyway). My 'morning' result started with a 4!
08/13/2008 05:51:57 AM · #18
Errr...what does 1 + 1 = ?
08/13/2008 06:53:56 AM · #19
Originally posted by Judi:

Errr...what does 1 + 1 = ?


1+1=11 yea definately 11.... :)
08/13/2008 07:05:26 AM · #20
Originally posted by Judi:

Errr...what does 1 + 1 = ?

so simple 1 + 1 = 1
08/13/2008 07:11:50 AM · #21
Originally posted by bnilesh:

Originally posted by Judi:

Errr...what does 1 + 1 = ?

so simple 1 + 1 = 1


That's the problem with DPC voters... can't get clearer than this :/
08/13/2008 09:50:33 AM · #22
Originally posted by FocusPoint:

Originally posted by bnilesh:

Originally posted by Judi:

Errr...what does 1 + 1 = ?

so simple 1 + 1 = 1


That's the problem with DPC voters... can't get clearer than this :/


Well in Binary it would be:

1+1= 10 :)
08/13/2008 09:54:54 AM · #23
Originally posted by Hot_Pixel:

Originally posted by FocusPoint:

Originally posted by bnilesh:

Originally posted by Judi:

Errr...what does 1 + 1 = ?

so simple 1 + 1 = 1


That's the problem with DPC voters... can't get clearer than this :/


Well in Binary it would be:

1+1= 10 :)


In binary 1+1=1 again, 1+0=0 as does 0+0. Binary addition is very pessimistic.
08/13/2008 10:24:08 AM · #24
Here are some LEADS/IDEAS.
I hope this is the Forum-Thread to put them in.

There is a HUGE amount of math put into most everything around you.
Just ask a someone in the following professions:
Math teacher, Engineer, All Sciences, All Medical, Demographics (Presidential polls), Any professions/businesses that involved $$-Money (Finance/Stocks/Sales/Accounting).

Counting, calculating, accumulating, predicting.Don't count your chickens before they hatch. A penny saved is a penny not well invested. Your DPC averages are calculated mathematically, by microscopic "Calculating machines". Post-processing Pixels and calculation exposures.

It was started by the cave-men, and has continued since.
The world would barely exist without Mathematics.
08/13/2008 11:35:45 AM · #25
Originally posted by justamistere:

Here are some LEADS/IDEAS.
I hope this is the Forum-Thread to put them in.

There is a HUGE amount of math put into most everything around you.
Just ask a someone in the following professions:
Math teacher, Engineer, All Sciences, All Medical, Demographics (Presidential polls), Any professions/businesses that involved $$-Money (Finance/Stocks/Sales/Accounting).

Counting, calculating, accumulating, predicting.Don't count your chickens before they hatch. A penny saved is a penny not well invested. Your DPC averages are calculated mathematically, by microscopic "Calculating machines". Post-processing Pixels and calculation exposures.

It was started by the cave-men, and has continued since.
The world would barely exist without Mathematics.


I agree with you on that, but Mathematics was derived mostly from physics. Newton practically invented calculus with his physics equations.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 04/21/2024 12:44:56 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2024 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Current Server Time: 04/21/2024 12:44:56 AM EDT.