DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Out and About >> Reagan funeral procession
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 51, (reverse)
AuthorThread
06/09/2004 08:29:55 PM · #1
I just got home from shooting at the Reagan funeral procession. I'm working them up now. What an amazing, amazing thing to see.

Keep your fingers crossed that I get some good shots!

Anyone else shooting this event today?

Clara
06/09/2004 08:36:08 PM · #2
(a moment of silence to compose myself)

With all the times that the tears came to me uninvited just watching this on TV, I can not fathom trying to actually shoot such an emotional event.

I hope some of your shots come out well!

God bless and be with Ronald Wilson Reagan and the United States!

(wiping away the tears again)
06/09/2004 08:47:23 PM · #3
I am most glad I was not there and yet at the same time wish I was. It seems to be the bane of those who love photography to be torn between preserving an event for posterity, or absorbing the event for its moment in time. I do not believe it is possible to do either of these at the same time.

It's strange that even though I was too little to even realize his presidency, I too am touched by the loss of him, and the legacy he left.

God Bless you, Mr. Reagan!

P.S. I hope your shots turned out great, can't wait to see them.
06/09/2004 08:50:30 PM · #4
The saddest moment by far has been just a little bit ago, when Nancy stood by the casket and ran her hand down the flag lengthwise several times, her eyes filled with tears, and mouthed "I love you, Ronnie." What a tremendous loss for her. She is still such a dignified lady in every sense. I hope she finds comfort during this difficult time.
06/09/2004 10:05:36 PM · #5
Okay. Not the best shots, but this was my first time shooting at this kind of event.

This is what I have for now. Might have more up this weekend. :)

//blemt.smugmug.com/gallery/136903/1/5000829/Large

There are 8 shots. Enjoy!

Clara
06/09/2004 10:13:35 PM · #6
Beautiful Clara -

I especially like 1-4
06/09/2004 10:14:07 PM · #7
Originally posted by blemt:

There are 8 shots. Enjoy!


Very nicely done! You must have gotten there mighty early to get such a good position!
06/09/2004 10:14:17 PM · #8
Originally posted by blemt:

Okay. Not the best shots, but this was my first time shooting at this kind of event.

This is what I have for now. Might have more up this weekend. :)

//blemt.smugmug.com/gallery/136903/1/5000829/Large

There are 8 shots. Enjoy!

Clara


incredible images! image #2 is very powerful
06/09/2004 10:16:20 PM · #9
Originally posted by alansfreed:

Originally posted by blemt:

There are 8 shots. Enjoy!


Very nicely done! You must have gotten there mighty early to get such a good position!


Thanks to all!We got there about 4:30. It was hot! And I do mean hot. Sailors and cops were all in danger of passing out from the heat.

Clara
06/09/2004 10:22:01 PM · #10
i really like 4.
06/09/2004 10:23:34 PM · #11
Given the circumstances you pulled them of nicely. I especially like 1,3, and 7.

Btw, how did you manage the heat? I heard that one of the service men (Airman I believe) lineing the route was so dehydrated that he threw up. 90+ degrees in full dress uniform would not be comfy.

Message edited by author 2004-06-09 22:27:02.
06/09/2004 10:24:23 PM · #12
Clara ........ Appreciate your excellent effort, and great shots.
06/09/2004 10:28:46 PM · #13
Thanks for posting your work....personally I really think highly of #2 and #7.
06/09/2004 10:38:00 PM · #14
Very powerful and moving images. Thanks for sharing with us! :o)
06/09/2004 10:43:55 PM · #15
Originally posted by Aaron:

Btw, how did you manage the heat? I heard that one of the service men (Airman I believe) lineing the route was so dehydrated that he threw up. 90+ degrees in full dress uniform would not be comfy.


There were service guys all over who were not happy. I got down there around 4:30. I very intelligently did not stand on the blacktop (which is hot) and brought a bottle of water with 2 parts Gatorade in it. Setzler did not bring his water bottle with him. By the time we were done, he was a seriously hurting pup.

Lesson of the day: when the area native says, "bring you water with you." it's a good idea to listen. ;)

Clara
06/09/2004 10:44:10 PM · #16
You brought another tear to my eye. Thank you for the emotion and braving the heat. I would have been there if I was within 8 hours of driving time...
06/09/2004 11:00:13 PM · #17
Originally posted by TooCool:

You brought another tear to my eye. Thank you for the emotion and braving the heat. I would have been there if I was within 8 hours of driving time...


Ron,
According to ABC there was a family that traveled all the way from Michigan overnight to watch the procession, and were planning to drive back tonight as to not miss work. That is a compelling sense of (for lack of a better word) compunction.
06/09/2004 11:02:35 PM · #18
ya know what I dont get? Everyone who says his death was a shocker. Thats all Ive been hearing. The guy was 93, or 92. Thats pretty damn old. Not much of a shock here.
06/09/2004 11:02:57 PM · #19
Originally posted by Aaron:

Ron,
According to ABC there was a family that traveled all the way from Michigan overnight to watch the procession, and were planning to drive back tonight as to not miss work. That is a compelling sense of (for lack of a better word) compunction.


I don't remember which channel I saw it on, but someone from MI drove from 3 hours further than from here! I can't afford the time or the gas...
06/09/2004 11:18:41 PM · #20
Originally posted by TooCool:

I don't remember which channel I saw it on, but someone from MI drove from 3 hours further than from here! I can't afford the time or the gas...


Completely understandable. But what is more is that your willingness to go that far puts my distance of less than 2 hours from the capitol to shame.
Additionally, I read that one lady from here in Virgnia flew cross country specifically to pay her respects at the Reagan Library.

Dedication like that is certainly a testimony to his character, legacy, and personality.
06/09/2004 11:18:52 PM · #21
Originally posted by blemt:

Okay. Not the best shots, but this was my first time shooting at this kind of event.

This is what I have for now. Might have more up this weekend. :)

//blemt.smugmug.com/gallery/136903/1/5000829/Large

There are 8 shots. Enjoy!

Clara


I like 2 and 7 the best, great shots. Wish I was there.
06/09/2004 11:47:53 PM · #22
Just wondering if your contrast settings are too high.
06/09/2004 11:50:51 PM · #23
Originally posted by blemt:

I just got home from shooting at the Reagan funeral procession. I'm working them up now. What an amazing, amazing thing to see.

Keep your fingers crossed that I get some good shots!

Anyone else shooting this event today?


I was just watching it on CSPAN. I didn't see anyone taking pictures however. But this was inside, so maybe cameras weren't allowed inside.

Reagan was the first President I voted for just out of high school (his first term). :) He was a very honorable President who did a lot for the USA. A great man. Very honorable.
06/09/2004 11:53:04 PM · #24
Originally posted by Olyuzi:

Just wondering if your contrast settings are too high.


I'm shooting into the sun, with 90% humidity, in a city lined with white buildings, trying to take pictures of black objects.

Yes, there's a bit of a contrast issue. :) Jokes aside, the first shot in that gallery is very contrasty due to the angle and background. That one was a bit of an artistic decision.

Clara
06/10/2004 12:01:02 AM · #25
I Like that first shot a lot...but I find it unusual as you've lost detail in both highlights and shadow areas...which way did you make your artistic decision, for the highlights or the shadows? To me, it appears that even with an artisitic decision made, that the camera may have applied too great a contrast?
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 04/02/2020 10:22:13 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 04/02/2020 10:22:13 PM EDT.