DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> iPad - first impressions
Pages:  
Showing posts 76 - 100 of 297, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/09/2010 03:03:24 PM · #76
Originally posted by Louis:

Originally posted by scarbrd:

Good in-depth review.

Bit of a fanboy article though. "The most annoying thing about iPad is that it will change your base expectation about computers. I now find myself trying to flick at the screen of my MacBook or attempting to touch a text field on the display so I can start typing. Once you get used to touch, the mouse feels archaic."


It's hosted on a site called AppleInsider. I would expect it to be pro Apple. :)
04/09/2010 04:28:57 PM · #77
Originally posted by scarbrd:

I'm looking at the ipad for photo viewing and sharing with potential customers but not having at least an option to sort my images is a big turnoff.

As David suggested, you can create albums and arrange photos any way you like within them on your desktop computer, then sync to the iPad for presentations. Piece o' cake.

Originally posted by Jac:

Originally posted by Louis:

Bit of a fanboy article though.."

It's hosted on a site called AppleInsider. I would expect it to be pro Apple. :)

In-depth reviews of an Apple product are most likely to be published on an Apple-centric site for obvious reasons, but even PC reviewers have shown uncharacteristic enthusiasm for the new gizmo.
04/09/2010 06:24:49 PM · #78
Originally posted by Jac:

Originally posted by Louis:

Originally posted by scarbrd:

Good in-depth review.

Bit of a fanboy article though. "The most annoying thing about iPad is that it will change your base expectation about computers. I now find myself trying to flick at the screen of my MacBook or attempting to touch a text field on the display so I can start typing. Once you get used to touch, the mouse feels archaic."


It's hosted on a site called AppleInsider. I would expect it to be pro Apple. :)


Take away from the article what you want, I thought it was pretty in-dpeth and spent 2 pages talking about what's missing. Calling AI pro Apple is like calling DPC pro digital. It is what it is.
04/09/2010 06:39:35 PM · #79
Originally posted by scalvert:

Originally posted by scarbrd:

I'm looking at the ipad for photo viewing and sharing with potential customers but not having at least an option to sort my images is a big turnoff.

As David suggested, you can create albums and arrange photos any way you like within them on your desktop computer, then sync to the iPad for presentations. Piece o' cake.

Originally posted by Jac:

Originally posted by Louis:

Bit of a fanboy article though.."

It's hosted on a site called AppleInsider. I would expect it to be pro Apple. :)

In-depth reviews of an Apple product are most likely to be published on an Apple-centric site for obvious reasons, but even PC reviewers have shown uncharacteristic enthusiasm for the new gizmo.


Well that's good news then. My enthusiasm has gone back up a notch, thanks. I sometimes use my son's itouch and must admit that I like the way it works and feels. If the ipad is even faster well I just may step into a store that sells them and take a good long look at this magical piece of technology.
04/12/2010 07:17:53 PM · #80
I picked one up on Saturday and absolutely love it. Been holding off on getting an iPod touch and a kindle for some time now and after playing with the iPad for a few minutes in the store had to have it. Right now it is just a shiny new toy but i hope it can be used with my photography in the near future.
04/14/2010 09:44:45 AM · #81
aaahhhhhhhhhhh ffs delayed in UK until late May.
If i bought one on ebay would it have any warrenty in the UK?
04/14/2010 11:21:12 AM · #82
Zen Bound 2...superb time waster and fun to boot!
04/14/2010 01:10:02 PM · #83
Here is a review by CNet News that points out a few of the iPad weaknesses in a humorous way.

iPad Porn Takes on a new ...
04/17/2010 11:39:45 AM · #84
So I am playing with someones iPad right now and went to vote on a challenge and was very disappointed to find I was not allowed. The picture shows a nice size and is big enough to appreciate. I understand the need to keep people from voting on small phones since that would be like voting on thumbnails. Is there a way to enable iPad users to vote?
04/17/2010 09:41:26 PM · #85
See my post above and the subsequent response. It has been requested and considered.

Message edited by author 2010-04-17 21:41:44.
04/17/2010 10:07:27 PM · #86
I have to say as and "extra toy" the Ipad is pretty cool. However, it surely doesn't replace a $600 laptop or a $39.00 flip phone.
04/18/2010 12:29:43 PM · #87
Originally posted by ltlmschrisss:

Is there a way to enable iPad users to vote?

FIXED.
04/18/2010 12:47:07 PM · #88
Originally posted by scalvert:

Originally posted by ltlmschrisss:

Is there a way to enable iPad users to vote?

FIXED.


Friggin' awesome!!!
04/18/2010 01:59:49 PM · #89
Originally posted by kenskid:

I have to say as and "extra toy" the Ipad is pretty cool. However, it surely doesn't replace a $600 laptop or a $39.00 flip phone.


That's the one question I'm asking myself. Should I fork over 700 bucks for an ipad that is cool or a laptop that is much more useful, in the long run. I'm not sold on the ipad yet, a laptop or even a notebook is much more useful than this screen is, for now. Even if it has a library of 36,000 apps, of which 35,996 are useless to me.
04/18/2010 04:11:25 PM · #90
Originally posted by Jac:

Originally posted by kenskid:

I have to say as and "extra toy" the Ipad is pretty cool. However, it surely doesn't replace a $600 laptop or a $39.00 flip phone.


That's the one question I'm asking myself. Should I fork over 700 bucks for an ipad that is cool or a laptop that is much more useful, in the long run. I'm not sold on the ipad yet, a laptop or even a notebook is much more useful than this screen is, for now. Even if it has a library of 36,000 apps, of which 35,996 are useless to me.


I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Apple isn't positioning it to be a laptop replacement, although I get what you mean. I have it with me on my current trip to Europe (stuck in Europe, actually) and it's great for book reading, web browsing and movie watching. The news apps are good too, but then I'm a news junkie. AP, NYT, USA Today, WSJ all have very good iPad apps. Those things I used to do on the iPhone when traveling, the iPad is much better.

I usually travel with my work laptop and I bring my MacBook for photo editing. I left the MacBook at home, now I'm stuck with the PC laptop for editing during this extended stay. I thought I'd be home by now. I left the MacBook because I didn't want to carry 2 laptops AND the iPad. I'll have to figure something out because editing on this HP notebook blows.
04/18/2010 05:03:46 PM · #91
Originally posted by scarbrd:

I left the MacBook because I didn't want to carry 2 laptops AND the iPad. I'll have to figure something out because editing on this HP notebook blows.

Install Windows on your MacBook?
04/18/2010 05:10:28 PM · #92
I got my iPAD last week, loaded 6.677 images into it already and find it to be wonderful. I have an iPAD touch too and I have them synced identically, so it is all very cool technology.

I have apps for new media, social media, RF engineering, aviation and now photography. Currently seeking cool apps for home automation and home energy management systems.

It is still struggling to work properly on DPC, the menus are displaced, but otherwise seem to function.
04/18/2010 05:17:36 PM · #93
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Originally posted by scarbrd:

I left the MacBook because I didn't want to carry 2 laptops AND the iPad. I'll have to figure something out because editing on this HP notebook blows.

Install Windows on your MacBook?


I have that, but being a senior IT manager traveling around the world, when I whip out the mac for a presentation, then the whole company would want one. That would be fine by me, but our CIO wouldn't go for it. We push for standardization in the IT groups globally, I guess it wouldn't look too keen to preach standardization while using a non-standard IT asset. If it were up to me, we'd support Macs, but it's not.

Plus the VPN software checks for the MAC (network card) address and it must be a company asset to be allowed on the network. Now, I know how to make all that work, but there'd still be the issue with using a non-company asset for company work. Too much politics.

But the thought crosses my mind every now and then. One more promotion and I should be able to get a way with it. ;-)
04/18/2010 05:19:13 PM · #94
Originally posted by Morgan:

I got my iPAD last week, loaded 6.677 images into it already and find it to be wonderful. I have an iPAD touch too and I have them synced identically, so it is all very cool technology.

I have apps for new media, social media, RF engineering, aviation and now photography. Currently seeking cool apps for home automation and home energy management systems.

It is still struggling to work properly on DPC, the menus are displaced, but otherwise seem to function.


The menu thing isn't new, not to me anyway. It does that on the iPhone, too. You get used to it. The dropdown menus jump to the upper left of the screen, sometimes. But they still work. I haven't figured out the pattern yet.
04/18/2010 05:38:04 PM · #95
Originally posted by scarbrd:

But the thought crosses my mind every now and then. One more promotion and I should be able to get a way with it. ;-)

I notice every time I see a science-based TV show (e.g. Nova) about five out of every seven computers/laptops those scientists are using are Macs ...
04/18/2010 05:46:20 PM · #96
Originally posted by scarbrd:

I usually travel with my work laptop and I bring my MacBook for photo editing. I left the MacBook at home, now I'm stuck with the PC laptop for editing during this extended stay. I thought I'd be home by now. I left the MacBook because I didn't want to carry 2 laptops AND the iPad. I'll have to figure something out because editing on this HP notebook blows.


Can't you just use your iPad as a magic carpet?
04/18/2010 06:09:15 PM · #97
Originally posted by yanko:

Originally posted by scarbrd:

I usually travel with my work laptop and I bring my MacBook for photo editing. I left the MacBook at home, now I'm stuck with the PC laptop for editing during this extended stay. I thought I'd be home by now. I left the MacBook because I didn't want to carry 2 laptops AND the iPad. I'll have to figure something out because editing on this HP notebook blows.


Can't you just use your iPad as a magic carpet?


I could but they rushed it to market without testing it going through volcano ash clouds. QA at Apple should have thought about that.
04/18/2010 06:39:37 PM · #98
Originally posted by scarbrd:

Originally posted by yanko:

Can't you just use your iPad as a magic carpet?

I could but they rushed it to market without testing it going through volcano ash clouds. QA at Apple should have thought about that.

If you ride a carpet through one of those clouds, you just wind up sitting on your ash... same as all the stranded air passengers are doing now.
04/18/2010 08:39:46 PM · #99
Originally posted by Morgan:

I got my iPAD last week... I have an iPAD touch too....

Told ya... :P
04/18/2010 09:29:01 PM · #100
I have an IPOD Touch. I visited the store to test an IPAD today. To me, the difference appears to be only the size, but it's significant. So much easier to type. So much better to see you with. I wish I had waited.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 08/01/2021 10:13:49 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 08/01/2021 10:13:49 AM EDT.