DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Black on Black II
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 30, (reverse)
AuthorThread
03/31/2010 12:26:27 AM · #1
Black on Black
03/31/2010 12:27:28 AM · #2
Really looking forward to this one. Should be a strong field.
03/31/2010 12:36:32 AM · #3
Originally posted by Lonni:

Really looking forward to this one. Should be a strong field.


i.e. YOU should do really well. :)
03/31/2010 12:41:04 AM · #4
Originally posted by vlado:

Originally posted by Lonni:

Really looking forward to this one. Should be a strong field.


i.e. YOU should do really well. :)


No pressure or anything! I don't even have any ideas - just looking at the last challenge the images are really striking - should attract some great entries I would think.
03/31/2010 01:03:16 AM · #5
Wait, so I am a little confused. The challenge description seems to imply that you take a picture of something black on a black background. But looking through the challenge entries for Black on Black 1, this clearly does not seem to be the case.
What is this challenge really asking for? Some clarification would be nice, before I bomb this :-P
03/31/2010 01:05:29 AM · #6
The previous description says use "low-key lighting" - which is basically very shallow light showing upon the subject. Heavily used in film noir. For film, it's typically classified by extremely dark and contrasting shadows, whereas medium-key has more grey tones and high-key is very bright.

I dunno how much that helps.
03/31/2010 01:25:12 AM · #7
Originally posted by Fiora:

Wait, so I am a little confused. The challenge description seems to imply that you take a picture of something black on a black background. But looking through the challenge entries for Black on Black 1, this clearly does not seem to be the case.
What is this challenge really asking for? Some clarification would be nice, before I bomb this :-P


I agree, looking at the previous challenge, it looks simply a "Black & White" to me.
03/31/2010 01:40:23 AM · #8
Yes, the previous challenge was mainly low key - very few true black on black images. But also, the previous challenge was 7 years ago. Meanwhile, the bar has been set a whole lot higher here. I would expect to see more actual black on black images, similar in style to what we would see in a white on white challenge.
03/31/2010 04:51:29 AM · #9
Im gonna try & shoot for this one. Im not great at low key, black on black type shots though so it will be an interesting excersice. Inspiration just hit & as that is rare at the moment im gonna go for it :)
03/31/2010 06:58:51 AM · #10
I saw absolutely no black on black in the top ten of that challenge. It all looked low key black and white.
03/31/2010 08:06:45 AM · #11
Originally posted by ragamuffingirl:

I saw absolutely no black on black in the top ten of that challenge. It all looked low key black and white.


Not true - 4th was definitely black on black.
03/31/2010 08:39:03 AM · #12
cover all of your bases and photograph something black, on black background, with low-key lighting.
03/31/2010 10:08:48 AM · #13
Originally posted by larryslights:

cover all of your bases and photograph something black, on black background, with low-key lighting.


... and await comments saying it's too dark, lol
03/31/2010 10:19:35 AM · #14
i know i'm easily confused....BUT...it looks like the rule set was called classic editing and didn't allow dodge and burn, but that's exactly what was done with the winning shot? am i reading something wrong?

Joe

Message edited by author 2010-03-31 10:20:39.
03/31/2010 10:25:51 AM · #15
Originally posted by hMan:

Originally posted by Fiora:

Wait, so I am a little confused. The challenge description seems to imply that you take a picture of something black on a black background. But looking through the challenge entries for Black on Black 1, this clearly does not seem to be the case.
What is this challenge really asking for? Some clarification would be nice, before I bomb this :-P


I agree, looking at the previous challenge, it looks simply a "Black & White" to me.

Agreed not black on black but stuff on black....
03/31/2010 10:28:26 AM · #16
or low key! grrr
03/31/2010 10:35:28 AM · #17
Originally posted by FourPoint7:

i know i'm easily confused....BUT...it looks like the rule set was called classic editing and didn't allow dodge and burn, but that's exactly what was done with the winning shot? am i reading something wrong?

Joe


They had a special rule in effect for that challenge, flagged:

Extra Rules: For this challenge, please ignore the "Post-shot Adjustments" section of our challenge rules.

R.
03/31/2010 10:37:09 AM · #18
Originally posted by ragamuffingirl:

I saw absolutely no black on black in the top ten of that challenge. It all looked low key black and white.


In general you're correct, but this one's actually B on B, the woman's wearing a black latex bodysuit: ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/108/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_25436.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/108/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_25436.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

R.
03/31/2010 10:37:28 AM · #19
This is really gonna depend on monitor calibration I fear.
03/31/2010 10:42:11 AM · #20
In "today's DPC" you'd be wise to ignore who/what did well in the first B on B challenge; given the description, which emphasized low-key lighting, and the general willingness of the site, in the early days, to take a liberal view of the challenge topic, they got away with stuff there and then that would get hammered here and now. That's MY opinion.

Shoot something black in front of something black, is MY advice. And do it in color, too :-) Assuming a ribbon's your goal, of course; if you're a crazy, self-indulgent artist, you can always shoot white on white and process it inverted :-)

R.
03/31/2010 10:59:37 AM · #21
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

...you can always shoot white on white and process it inverted :-)


I don't another white egg and a feather on a white background in my portfolio. Even if it is inverted. :) (That being said I have plenty of room in my folio for a lump of coal on a black background)
04/02/2010 04:47:02 AM · #22
Some ideas and examples of black on black
//images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=black+on+black&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
04/02/2010 06:09:25 AM · #23
Originally posted by ThingFish:

Some ideas and examples of black on black
//images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=black+on+black&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=


Im liking the black lab idea, i have a black lab....hmmmm :)

Message edited by author 2010-04-02 06:09:35.
04/02/2010 07:13:14 AM · #24
So is the general feeling that the rank and file will consider any picture that contains any colour will be a DNMC or would
this type of shot meet the challenge

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/95000-99999/99506/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_864554.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/95000-99999/99506/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_864554.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
04/02/2010 07:35:34 AM · #25
Originally posted by Lutchenko:

So is the general feeling that the rank and file will consider any picture that contains any colour will be a DNMC or would
this type of shot meet the challenge

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/95000-99999/99506/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_864554.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/95000-99999/99506/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_864554.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


In my opinion, which is almost never the majority's opinion, is that it's a great example of what to expect in this challenge. Great shot.

Message edited by author 2010-04-02 07:35:50.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 05/27/2022 02:15:48 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2022 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 05/27/2022 02:15:48 AM EDT.