DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Administrator Announcements >> DPL Season 2
Pages:  
Showing posts 26 - 50 of 123, (reverse)
AuthorThread
01/21/2010 09:23:23 PM · #26
I'm sure if I looked it up I would find the answers to these but 2 questions, how many teams will there be, and how do I join a team if I want to?
01/21/2010 09:26:21 PM · #27
Okay, one last question (maybe, don't hold me to it)
My team had a high average; some were very, very good, some (ahem) weren't quite so good.
We liked each other, and the good ones gave others the benefit of their experience. Is there any way, given these options, we can stay together - assuming the whole team wants to return to the arena?


01/21/2010 09:30:58 PM · #28
Sweet! Maybe I can get involved this time around?!
01/21/2010 09:39:03 PM · #29
time to kick the rust off my dpc skills :)
01/21/2010 09:52:35 PM · #30
What fun!! It's been ages!
01/21/2010 10:04:04 PM · #31
AWESOME! Just in time, my subscription was running out in 11 days and I needed a real good excuse to stick around.

Anyone interested in putting an all Marine or Military team together? Send me an email if your interested.

Message edited by author 2010-01-21 22:08:15.
01/21/2010 10:13:39 PM · #32
Can someone speak to last time and how the captains might feel about option 2?

01/21/2010 10:24:22 PM · #33
Not very happy about a survey with no option that I want. I don't want any team-tampering.

Free Market!!!
01/21/2010 10:30:03 PM · #34
Originally posted by PennyStreet:

Can someone speak to last time and how the captains might feel about option 2?


I'd be interested to know, too. Perhaps if the number of members were increased from 7 to 10, then option 2 would be a pretty good compromise. 5 of the captain's choice and 5 to work with.
01/21/2010 10:44:36 PM · #35
Can I suggest (if it already hasnt) A round robin style picking of team members by captains?
01/21/2010 10:47:30 PM · #36
Originally posted by sempermarine:

AWESOME! Just in time, my subscription was running out in 11 days and I needed a real good excuse to stick around.

Anyone interested in putting an all Marine or Military team together? Send me an email if your interested.

I'm Air Force, retired. I'm not entirely sure if that counts with Marines on the team, though. :-)
01/21/2010 10:50:27 PM · #37
I filled out the survey, but found myself looking for the "I don't care how teams are formed as long as I'm on one" option.
01/21/2010 10:51:02 PM · #38
Originally posted by Melethia:

Originally posted by sempermarine:

AWESOME! Just in time, my subscription was running out in 11 days and I needed a real good excuse to stick around.

Anyone interested in putting an all Marine or Military team together? Send me an email if your interested.

I'm Air Force, retired. I'm not entirely sure if that counts with Marines on the team, though. :-)


We've already tried to put a claim on you, Deb. Or so my teammate-to-be tells me anyway... Don't disappoint us.

R.
01/21/2010 10:53:03 PM · #39
I'm not committed, Robert. I have a tendency to let the team thing stress me out because I end up trying to please the team (and trying to score) rather than sticking with what I like. I'll give it some thought...
01/21/2010 10:56:43 PM · #40
So how does one sign up for this--through dpchallenge? By talking to SDW?

Or should I be simply waiting for something that hasn't happened yet?
01/21/2010 10:57:05 PM · #41
Well, regardless of the survey results, count me in.

Pick me! Pick me! Haha.
01/21/2010 10:57:40 PM · #42
if we're signing up..I'm in...
01/21/2010 11:01:38 PM · #43
Originally posted by K10DGuy:

Why, exactly, are we worried about 'fairness"? Shouldn't the best be allowed to get together and destroy people? Isn't that life? If you can't hack the heat, get out of the kitchen?

Are we so pussified that we're going to cater to mediocrity? Really?


I agree! We have become a society of "well that's not fair, everyone should get a ribbon so as not to hurt anyone's feelings or self esteem."

My son lost the bronze medal game last weekend in a basketball tourney and still got a medal! WTF! We are bringing up kids that will say "oh who cares we will still get something". They have no incentive because there is no disappointment.

I digress.

It is after all a challenge to catch those stacked teams.
01/21/2010 11:07:35 PM · #44
Originally posted by Melethia:

I'm not committed, Robert. I have a tendency to let the team thing stress me out because I end up trying to please the team (and trying to score) rather than sticking with what I like. I'll give it some thought...


Well. *I* enter what I like, so does Penny, I don't see where this is a problem :-)

R.
01/21/2010 11:08:39 PM · #45
Originally posted by LVicari:

Originally posted by K10DGuy:

Why, exactly, are we worried about 'fairness"? Shouldn't the best be allowed to get together and destroy people? Isn't that life? If you can't hack the heat, get out of the kitchen?

Are we so pussified that we're going to cater to mediocrity? Really?


I agree! We have become a society of "well that's not fair, everyone should get a ribbon so as not to hurt anyone's feelings or self esteem."

My son lost the bronze medal game last weekend in a basketball tourney and still got a medal! WTF! We are bringing up kids that will say "oh who cares we will still get something". They have no incentive because there is no disappointment.

I digress.

It is after all a challenge to catch those stacked teams.


Thank you, this is my feeling too. I believe, that if you have to even the playing field so as not to disappoint, or scare people off, or band-aid anyone feeling bad, then you probably shouldn't be running a competition to begin with. Just because it exists in other 'sports' or competition doesn't mean I have to agree with it here. This is coming from someone that doesn't have near the skill that most people have, so it's not like I'm disappointed because I can't make a Dream Team. I just think it's disappointing that we always seem to cater to the lowest common denominator when it comes to things like this.
01/21/2010 11:12:48 PM · #46
Originally posted by K10DGuy:


Thank you, this is my feeling too. I believe, that if you have to even the playing field so as not to disappoint, or scare people off, or band-aid anyone feeling bad, then you probably shouldn't be running a competition to begin with. Just because it exists in other 'sports' or competition doesn't mean I have to agree with it here. This is coming from someone that doesn't have near the skill that most people have, so it's not like I'm disappointed because I can't make a Dream Team. I just think it's disappointing that we always seem to cater to the lowest common denominator when it comes to things like this.


I don't see it that way at all. The original goal of WPL was that teams would be comprised of varying skill levels and that folks would be engaged in a learning experience. For me, the competition, such as it is, isn't the primary component of the experience, or ought not to be. Camaraderie and mentorship, that's the ticket :-)

R.
01/21/2010 11:13:48 PM · #47
Originally posted by sempermarine:

AWESOME! Just in time, my subscription was running out in 11 days and I needed a real good excuse to stick around.

Anyone interested in putting an all Marine or Military team together? Send me an email if your interested.


' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Lonni, ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' millsa and I are looking to put together a team of Aussies... if we're able to...
01/21/2010 11:16:33 PM · #48
dum dee dum...

Message edited by author 2010-01-22 08:32:13.
01/21/2010 11:19:37 PM · #49
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by K10DGuy:


Thank you, this is my feeling too. I believe, that if you have to even the playing field so as not to disappoint, or scare people off, or band-aid anyone feeling bad, then you probably shouldn't be running a competition to begin with. Just because it exists in other 'sports' or competition doesn't mean I have to agree with it here. This is coming from someone that doesn't have near the skill that most people have, so it's not like I'm disappointed because I can't make a Dream Team. I just think it's disappointing that we always seem to cater to the lowest common denominator when it comes to things like this.


I don't see it that way at all. The original goal of WPL was that teams would be comprised of varying skill levels and that folks would be engaged in a learning experience. For me, the competition, such as it is, isn't the primary component of the experience, or ought not to be. Camaraderie and mentorship, that's the ticket :-)

R.


I agree its not just about the competition. Competitions exist to help guage where you stand and learn from the experience along the way, and maybe bring out the best in those who want to climb that proverbial mountain. But first there must be a "mountain"!
01/21/2010 11:22:20 PM · #50
Originally posted by Jac:

Why am I seeing four seasons on the DPL page and this is only season two?

I'll play but if the teams are totally uneven I'm out.


ergo your profile pic ;)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 07/27/2021 11:32:33 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 07/27/2021 11:32:33 AM EDT.