DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Rural decay
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 30, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/11/2009 12:25:58 AM · #1
Wow good timing! I'm goin out on Saturday to shoot just this for a couple gifts.

So let's start bouncing ideas around.
12/11/2009 12:30:03 AM · #2
I sense a ribbon for ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' NikonJeb
12/11/2009 12:58:13 AM · #3
I can't agree with the Challenge Description. There is definately such a thing as Rural Decay, If you go out in the country in Wisconsin, You will find roads filled with Farms that are no longer in the farming business, Barns falling over, Silos with no tops, broken fences, unmowed yards, boarded up farm houses. Infact the way the things have been going for the Farmers over the past couple of decades, I think Rural Decay would be just as easy to find as Urban Decay...
12/11/2009 12:59:08 AM · #4
Originally posted by levyj413:

I sense a ribbon for ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' NikonJeb


I do too! Probably one for Urban Decay also!
12/11/2009 06:29:37 AM · #5
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

I can't agree with the Challenge Description. There is definately such a thing as Rural Decay, If you go out in the country in Wisconsin, You will find roads filled with Farms that are no longer in the farming business, Barns falling over, Silos with no tops, broken fences, unmowed yards, boarded up farm houses. Infact the way the things have been going for the Farmers over the past couple of decades, I think Rural Decay would be just as easy to find as Urban Decay...


I agree!
12/11/2009 07:55:55 AM · #6
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

I can't agree with the Challenge Description. There is definately such a thing as Rural Decay, If you go out in the country in Wisconsin, You will find roads filled with Farms that are no longer in the farming business, Barns falling over, Silos with no tops, broken fences, unmowed yards, boarded up farm houses. Infact the way the things have been going for the Farmers over the past couple of decades, I think Rural Decay would be just as easy to find as Urban Decay...

Everyone talks about "Urban Decay," but since nobody talks about "Rural Decay," "Rural Decay" as a term doesn't really exist. If rural decay itself didn't exist at all, there wouldn't be a challenge with it as a subject, would there?
12/11/2009 08:13:15 AM · #7
The description in the challenge meant the *term* "rural decay". It seems pretty obvious to me that they were not saying there is no rural decay.
12/11/2009 09:46:19 AM · #8
The challenge description says, "Since there really is no such thing as rural decay" Not, Since there really is no such term as rural decay. I guess it is all in how you read it. And now that the challenge is upon us, The Term Rural Decay has found existance also. Oh Well no big deal. I am in a place that has very little Urban or Rural Decay, So I may just have the week off. lol
12/11/2009 05:51:51 PM · #9
Are we allowed to enter a photo to both Urban AND Rural Decay? I just want to make sure before I shoot anything.
12/11/2009 05:55:53 PM · #10
Originally posted by DCNUTTER:

Are we allowed to enter a photo to both Urban AND Rural Decay? I just want to make sure before I shoot anything.


Yes. One is the Sunday challenge and the other is Thursday, both member only...
12/11/2009 06:15:31 PM · #11
Originally posted by kleski:

Originally posted by DCNUTTER:

Are we allowed to enter a photo to both Urban AND Rural Decay? I just want to make sure before I shoot anything.


Yes. One is the Sunday challenge and the other is Thursday, both member only...


Thanks Kevin for clearing that up.
12/11/2009 08:52:28 PM · #12
What a great challenge! Even though my picture isn't great, I had the perfect picture for this challenge (which I submitted).
12/12/2009 01:08:50 PM · #13
Rural decay? A picture of my garden, right now, will do just fine I think, LOL
12/12/2009 05:10:04 PM · #14
Would decay in a town fall under "Urban Decay" or under Rural Decay" Reason I ask is I entered my image in the "Urban Decay" and it was taken in a town not a city. It is not of a rural dwelling though but of a dwelling commonly found in towns and known as a house. Of course there are rural towns as well as industrial towns.The town I took my photo in is neither. It is more like suburbia in a town outside of the city limits.
Not being sure I am afraid voters will penalize images they feel fall into the wrong category.

Ps. There seems to be such a term as "Rural Decay" by the way. I did a google image search and this came up.
//images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=rural+decay&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Message edited by author 2009-12-12 17:25:20.
12/12/2009 05:47:24 PM · #15
There is a whole group for the subject on Flickr: Rural decay
12/12/2009 06:17:35 PM · #16
Figures......

I haven't had a chance to get out this week, and the weather report says sleet & freezing rain for tomorrow.....8>(
12/12/2009 06:32:35 PM · #17
Still don't know where my image fits in. Could fit into both I guess. Suburbia. Not a city, not a rural place. Maybe a different catagory altogether. Suburban Decay?
12/12/2009 06:43:46 PM · #18
Originally posted by ThingFish:

Still don't know where my image fits in. Could fit into both I guess. Suburbia. Not a city, not a rural place. Maybe a different catagory altogether. Suburban Decay?


I think suburbia would fit the urban category better. To me rural is more out in the countryside, and if you go by the challenge description the urban challenge says in or near a city. If it's the true suburbs then there is a city close by.


12/12/2009 06:44:55 PM · #19
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Figures......

I haven't had a chance to get out this week, and the weather report says sleet & freezing rain for tomorrow.....8>(


I'm having the same type of weather issues myself. I should catch a good day for the rural challenge, but the urban challenge will most likely be a no show for me. :(
12/14/2009 10:05:55 AM · #20
My entry's in......and I'm *really* happy with it!.....8>)
12/14/2009 10:35:30 AM · #21
If there was a house in a rural village, and the village became a city after years, and the house was still in the area but abandond, the house belong to "urban decay" or "rural decay"?

Message edited by author 2009-12-14 10:36:17.
12/14/2009 11:04:10 AM · #22
Originally posted by Deen:

If there was a house in a rural village, and the village became a city after years, and the house was still in the area but abandond, the house belong to "urban decay" or "rural decay"?

As long as there are no urban-style buildings in the shot, I think no DPCer would mind it being in the middle of a city.

Granted, you could take a shot with it surrounded by apartment buildings, but you may not get the highest scores. There's a lot of that in Romania, and I'm tempted to do that myself. But I'm thinking of going to the countryside instead because of the higher level of decay there, and because I don't wanna tick off any "purists" who don't want to see anything urban in a "rural decay" shot.

Message edited by author 2009-12-14 11:07:43.
12/14/2009 11:16:49 AM · #23
Originally posted by Deen:

If there was a house in a rural village, and the village became a city after years, and the house was still in the area but abandond, the house belong to "urban decay" or "rural decay"?

If you shoot a picture of a tiger in a zoo, is it still a wild animal?

If you speak, and your wife is not around to hear you, are you still wrong?.....8>)
12/14/2009 11:19:32 AM · #24
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

If you speak, and your wife is not around to hear you, are you still wrong?.....8>)

Yes, you are. She bugged your phone and is reading your old IMs and e-mails.
12/14/2009 12:17:26 PM · #25
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

If you speak, and your wife is not around to hear you, are you still wrong?.....8>)

Originally posted by george917:

Yes, you are. She bugged your phone and is reading your old IMs and e-mails.

Dude, you are *SO* going to be a good husband if you understand that at 20! LOL!!!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/15/2019 08:37:27 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/15/2019 08:37:27 AM EST.