DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Hey, get your score Straight here...
Pages:  
Showing posts 26 - 50 of 69, (reverse)
AuthorThread
09/30/2009 09:16:18 AM · #26
Morning (EST) came with, apparently cranky voters and, low scores.
But I got a nice comment...

Message edited by author 2009-09-30 09:17:26.
09/30/2009 09:53:50 AM · #27
Originally posted by PennyStreet:

Ok, no twists...
I thought the challenge was to include ONLY straight lines!?!


Yup. Makes scoring them pretty challenging!

Message edited by author 2009-09-30 09:57:15.
09/30/2009 10:00:08 AM · #28
I see that most of the scores are moving straight down this morning.
46 Views
27 Votes
5.52
Still above my average, and one nice comment.
09/30/2009 10:00:26 AM · #29
Started with 10 after 1 vote and felt all elated. But reality soon came along and I'm heading for the bottom of the heap once again by the looks of it with a current score of:
Straight II
Votes: 25
Views: 41
Avg Vote: 4.9600
Comments: 0
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 09/30/09 09:54 am
:( :( :(
09/30/2009 10:19:45 AM · #30
"Details: Capture an image that includes only straight lines."

surprised at how few images follow this rule
09/30/2009 10:42:59 AM · #31
Votes: 27
Views: 44
Avg Vote: 3.1481
Comments: 1

OK Maybe I didn't follow the challenge as closely as I had thought. My score is still my personal worst but it is better than it was this morning. )-:
09/30/2009 10:43:29 AM · #32
Originally posted by Cuttooth:

"Details: Capture an image that includes only straight lines."

surprised at how few images follow this rule


I also think it had an unfair level of difficulty compared to "Capture an image that includes curved or twisted lines."

The other challenge is much easier to meet based on description. Don't know why the mismatch. I had originally entered this one, but swapped it out before rollover for a twisted entry instead.
09/30/2009 10:55:39 AM · #33
Damn grumpy morning folk

Votes: 29
Views: 50
Avg Vote: 5.2414
I just got hit by a one just a moment ago.
09/30/2009 11:16:43 AM · #34
This was my first challenge submission ever. I liked my picture, but apparently 23 people giving me a 4.9130 don't. And except for some clouds in the sky, every line in my shot is straight.

I'm hoping, as I'm seeing other scores being reported, that this is an abnormally low-scoring challenge and that my 4.9 is not *that* bad (relatively speaking).

Mostly though, I'd prefer that people who give "bad" scores leave a comment as to why it was so bad. That way, I can improve. I didn't join this community to get into a urine projectile contest... I'm entirely new to photography and I want to get better.
09/30/2009 11:37:55 AM · #35
DPC is wrong :)
09/30/2009 11:43:59 AM · #36
Originally posted by JayA:

DPC is wrong :)
... and mean -- but we still learn a lot from it... :~P
09/30/2009 11:45:52 AM · #37
Originally posted by dustingooding:

This was my first challenge submission ever. I liked my picture, but apparently 23 people giving me a 4.9130 don't. And except for some clouds in the sky, every line in my shot is straight.

I'm hoping, as I'm seeing other scores being reported, that this is an abnormally low-scoring challenge and that my 4.9 is not *that* bad (relatively speaking).

Mostly though, I'd prefer that people who give "bad" scores leave a comment as to why it was so bad. That way, I can improve. I didn't join this community to get into a urine projectile contest... I'm entirely new to photography and I want to get better.


Patience. If you don't get enough guidance from the people that do leave comments then you can always post the image in the forums and ask for additional critque.
09/30/2009 12:05:20 PM · #38
Originally posted by okiesisi:

I think I should take a screen shot!! hehehe
Votes: 1
Views: 1
Avg Vote: 8.0000
Comments: 0


Why did i have to get up this morning.... at least the first vote made for nice dreams. No comments yet, but wondering if I will get hit with "Lack of a strong subject" since the challenge is for ONLY straight lines. quite a quandary.
Votes: 29
Views: 48
Avg Vote: 4.5517
Comments: 0
09/30/2009 12:13:22 PM · #39
Originally posted by Five_Seat:

Originally posted by dustingooding:

This was my first challenge submission ever. I liked my picture, but apparently 23 people giving me a 4.9130 don't. And except for some clouds in the sky, every line in my shot is straight.

I'm hoping, as I'm seeing other scores being reported, that this is an abnormally low-scoring challenge and that my 4.9 is not *that* bad (relatively speaking).

Mostly though, I'd prefer that people who give "bad" scores leave a comment as to why it was so bad. That way, I can improve. I didn't join this community to get into a urine projectile contest... I'm entirely new to photography and I want to get better.


Patience. If you don't get enough guidance from the people that do leave comments then you can always post the image in the forums and ask for additional critque.


Thanks Five_Seat. I don't mean to be petty or complaining... just a rude awakening for a first submission. ;)
09/30/2009 12:45:44 PM · #40
I think you all LIKE giving out "low" scores, dontcha? It makes you feel good, dunnit? Come across an image that may or may not be "wow", and is open to interpretation on the challenge topic, and you're like "Yes! I can give this a crappy score! I HATE giving out 8's and 9's! I'm happier giving out 3's and 4's!" Right? Right??!?

Votes: 31
Views: 48
Avg Vote: 4.1613
Comments: 1

My understated genius is never fully appreciated. All of us great ones are.



Message edited by author 2009-09-30 12:46:22.
09/30/2009 12:45:52 PM · #41
Originally posted by gg3rd:

Originally posted by JayA:

DPC is wrong :)
... and mean -- but we still learn a lot from it... :~P
theres a lot of knowledge and valid individual opinion. As a collective though i think dpc is wrong.
09/30/2009 03:35:31 PM · #42
Originally posted by david_c:

I think you all LIKE giving out "low" scores, dontcha? It makes you feel good, dunnit? Come across an image that may or may not be "wow", and is open to interpretation on the challenge topic, and you're like "Yes! I can give this a crappy score! I HATE giving out 8's and 9's! I'm happier giving out 3's and 4's!" Right? Right??!?

Votes: 31
Views: 48
Avg Vote: 4.1613
Comments: 1

My understated genius is never fully appreciated. All of us great ones are.


Yeah what is with the 3's and 4's?!

What ever happened to 5's and 6's?

My guess is it other challengers in the challenge. "no one is gonna beat me, cause I am gonna give them all low scores, and my submission is better anyways"


09/30/2009 04:04:29 PM · #43
I gave you all low scores and I'm in the other challenge. Bwaaaahaaahahaha!!!!
09/30/2009 04:04:40 PM · #44
Votes: 43
Views: 66
Avg Vote: 3.3488
Comments: 1

Still my worst score to date but it is coming up some...lol
09/30/2009 04:06:08 PM · #45
tastes here have changed...
09/30/2009 04:06:28 PM · #46
(Just kidding.)

There were some very good interpretations of the challenge, some average ones, and some where the photographers need to keep in mind that just meeting the challenge won't net a good score. You also need to make the picture interesting. Now what constitutes "interesting" is very subject, I understand.

You have rated 111 of 111 images (100%) in this challenge.
You have commented on 41 images (37%) in this challenge.
You have given an average score of 5.7027.


Message edited by author 2009-09-30 16:07:24.
09/30/2009 04:07:09 PM · #47
Originally posted by Melethia:

I gave you all low scores and I'm in the other challenge. Bwaaaahaaahahaha!!!!


*Cries himself to sleep
09/30/2009 04:08:19 PM · #48
Originally posted by JayA:

As a collective though i think dpc is wrong.

We are the DPC. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
09/30/2009 04:09:39 PM · #49
Originally posted by Melethia:

(Just kidding.)

There were some very good interpretations of the challenge, some average ones, and some where the photographers need to keep in mind that just meeting the challenge won't net a good score. You also need to make the picture interesting. Now what constitutes "interesting" is very subject, I understand.

You have rated 111 of 111 images (100%) in this challenge.
You have commented on 41 images (37%) in this challenge.
You have given an average score of 5.7027.


You didn't leave a comment for me! Does this mean you gave me a low score?
09/30/2009 04:12:27 PM · #50
Oh. I'm a baghead. I meant to turn that off - I was sorta playing around with my settings while turning off and on my scores... If I go turn it off, will it then show my comments as me? And by the way, I did comment on all my "low" scores, but I'm a softy and don't usually score anything much below 4.

Message edited by author 2009-09-30 16:13:07.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 07/20/2019 09:04:16 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 07/20/2019 09:04:16 PM EDT.