DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> I caught me a troll!
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 58, (reverse)
AuthorThread
06/02/2009 04:25:48 AM · #1
I've been watching my Still Life score rather closely of late (sad I know) and just got a 1. A quick look online revealed a new registered user with 227 votes (Still Life 164 + I Quit 63 = 227) and an average of 2.49. No entries, threads, portfolio or any other contribution other than to decimate your hard earned scores.

So if your Still Life or I Quit score has recently plumeted, I probably know who is to blame. I have informed the SC and I hope they act.

Grrr!
06/02/2009 04:31:14 AM · #2
Mmmmm - good catch - I hear they're good over a roasted fire! (Trolls that is, not SC!)

Message edited by author 2009-06-02 04:31:36.
06/02/2009 04:35:46 AM · #3
I just checked and the one I reported is different in as far as their average vote is 1.3906
06/02/2009 04:38:11 AM · #4
ummm and onlline now!
06/02/2009 04:40:47 AM · #5
Originally posted by TallPaul:

ummm and onlline now!

oh yeah....

I have resisted sending him a PM so far, but I will be monitoring my score in the next challenge and if I get another 1 whilst he is the only low voter online
I will PM him for sure
06/02/2009 04:43:18 AM · #6
I didn't do it! I'm just reading threads, I swear!
06/02/2009 04:47:09 AM · #7
Originally posted by aliqui:

I didn't do it! I'm just reading threads, I swear!


lol
06/02/2009 04:55:24 AM · #8
Originally posted by aliqui:

I didn't do it! I'm just reading threads, I swear!


I had you down as a definite Troll! But I see those last 10,000 odd votes have levelled your avg vote given out to an acceptable level ;)
06/02/2009 05:10:10 AM · #9
Originally posted by Mark-A:

Originally posted by aliqui:

I didn't do it! I'm just reading threads, I swear!


I had you down as a definite Troll! But I see those last 10,000 odd votes have levelled your avg vote given out to an acceptable level ;)


Eek! Don't look at my average... I haven't voted in forever (like a year), and when I did I didn't vote on many Freestudies which would have driven my average up. These days I just browse and comment.
06/02/2009 05:36:27 AM · #10
find something to do with your lives...
06/02/2009 05:37:15 AM · #11
I hope something is done about this and soon as well. I was found out to be 'friend voting' giving out high scores to my 'friends' and I was suspended for 3 months yet week after week we see this bogey acounts hammering down great photos. YES the vote scrubber gets the odd one or two but it is not good enough IMO, Troll voting accounts exist and they need to be sorted out NOW it really is starting to give me the shits.
06/02/2009 05:41:31 AM · #12
seriously, take a walk outside, read a book, listen to the radio. you guys need to realize that this is a virtual community. do low voters really make you feel that bad about your existence? so sad.
06/02/2009 05:58:38 AM · #13
Originally posted by ericwoo:

seriously, take a walk outside, read a book, listen to the radio. you guys need to realize that this is a virtual community. do low voters really make you feel that bad about your existence? so sad.


I think you made your point the first time however I don't feel I need to take advice on what to do with my time. Thanks for caring though.
06/02/2009 06:03:29 AM · #14
Originally posted by ericwoo:

seriously, take a walk outside, read a book, listen to the radio. you guys need to realize that this is a virtual community. do low voters really make you feel that bad about your existence? so sad.


This coming from the guy leading the angry march for larger image sizes at every given opportunity?
06/02/2009 06:11:55 AM · #15
Originally posted by iamwoman:

Mmmmm - good catch - I hear they're good over a roasted fire! (Trolls that is, not SC!)


lisa
only trouble with putting them on an open fire is there isnt a backbone to skewer them thru

hope alls good with you we have to catch up again sometime
06/02/2009 06:16:02 AM · #16
Originally posted by aliqui:

This coming from the guy leading the angry march for larger image sizes at every given opportunity?


Oooh you wouldn't believe how I had to bite my lip to stop me from posting almost the exact same thing LOL :)

Most of this thread is in jest anyway so nothing to get heated about, even though it's a pretty annoying subject it's something a popular site like this one will always attract.

Message edited by author 2009-06-02 06:16:25.
06/02/2009 07:20:45 AM · #17
Interesting stuff.

Personally I find that my scores are less affected by trolls than other participants. The score breakdown for participant / non-participant reveals that the latter have voted higher in 19 of 20 challenges that I have entered... sometimes by up to 1.5 points...

Interesting stuff. Perhaps (some of) the other participants feel that hammering other images helps their own?
06/02/2009 07:25:35 AM · #18
I've said this before and this looks like the thread to say it again, cause maybe the SC will then actually DO something about it - make voting here a privilege, not a given right. And you earn that privilege ONLY after having entered a minimum number if challenges. I think three should be adequate.

I think it's perfectly fair and will work because most trolls are cowards and shitty photogs who couldn't possibly take being trolled themselves. That's why they shoot down those of us who can get a good shot. With my proposed system in place, there is no way they could ever cast a vote!

Either that or up the scrubber, big-time, and seek out those who've never entered a challenge - and I mean NEVER, so that way those coming back from a few years away don't get tossed out - and simply block the votes from that account. Or just shut down the damned ghost accounts once and for all.
06/02/2009 07:32:41 AM · #19
Susan, I am not sure I would agree with your idea. I started off my viewing photos and voting on open challenges, and only after I had got a 'feel' of the site did I start enetering challenges myself. Also, I know of at least two people who love looking at photography, and have a pretty good eye for aesthetics, but either have no desire to take photos themselves, or who aren't (or don't see themselves as being) particularly good at it.
06/02/2009 07:55:44 AM · #20
Originally posted by SaraR:

Susan, I am not sure I would agree with your idea. I started off my viewing photos and voting on open challenges, and only after I had got a 'feel' of the site did I start enetering challenges myself. Also, I know of at least two people who love looking at photography, and have a pretty good eye for aesthetics, but either have no desire to take photos themselves, or who aren't (or don't see themselves as being) particularly good at it.


Hmm...good point, Sara, and we certainly need more people like you on the site! Just desperately trying to think of some way to curtail the trolls and the damage they inflict.

Howzabout someone whose overall voting average is suspiciously low, then? Or (out of curiousity) what would you do to control the trolls?
06/02/2009 07:57:39 AM · #21
Maybe it could be set up in the system that only members can vote on members challenges.
Maybe then we could see if low votes still continue in this section compared to the open sections.
Would be interesting to see.

Edited as I had quoted the wrong post above (ooops)

Message edited by author 2009-06-02 07:59:26.
06/02/2009 07:58:11 AM · #22
Originally posted by ericwoo:

seriously, take a walk outside, read a book, listen to the radio. you guys need to realize that this is a virtual community. do low voters really make you feel that bad about your existence? so sad.


practice what you preach Eric. I enjoy my life to the fullness, my existence on this planet is great and filled with love, I also enjoy moaning about trolls so why don't YOU go outside and leave this thread alone if it bothers you so much.
06/02/2009 07:58:37 AM · #23
Dunno what it is with today but having been sitting with a pretty sure fire top 10 score in still life I have just been hit with 2x 1s and a 2 super stuff :)
06/02/2009 07:59:03 AM · #24
Originally posted by FrankRobinson:

Interesting stuff.

Personally I find that my scores are less affected by trolls than other participants. The score breakdown for participant / non-participant reveals that the latter have voted higher in 19 of 20 challenges that I have entered... sometimes by up to 1.5 points...

Interesting stuff. Perhaps (some of) the other participants feel that hammering other images helps their own?


Oh definitely, some people are that petty and dumb enough to do that, and it doesn't even work. It doesn't bunmp up the troll's score at all, usually cause in turn they get trolled...quite a vicious cycle.
06/02/2009 08:18:25 AM · #25
Originally posted by Mark-A:

Dunno what it is with today but having been sitting with a pretty sure fire top 10 score in still life I have just been hit with 2x 1s and a 2 super stuff :)


Good grief in response to your post I checked out my score. Average of last 3 votes 2.667 !!!! Not exactly ruined my score but certainly taken the shine off a fair bit.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 03/25/2019 12:50:54 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 03/25/2019 12:50:54 PM EDT.