DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Canon 50D
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 15 of 15, (reverse)
AuthorThread
05/28/2009 07:27:29 PM · #1
Seriously thinking about getting a 50D this weekend. I shoot alot of motocross races, vacations, etc... I guess a little of everything. So overall will a 50D be a good choice? Also any concerns or tips on this camera? Thanks for your help.
05/28/2009 07:47:34 PM · #2
i had a 40D for about a year, and let me tell you, i loved that camera. i say go for it.
the important part though, which lenses are you considering?
05/28/2009 07:52:36 PM · #3
I love my 50D. I shoot mainly wildlife and when I'm shooting I shoot a lot of frames quickly. This is my favorite thing about the 50D, it is quick. With my sandisk extreme III, I don't have to worry about filling my buffer and I can shoot off good bursts. I also use it for landscape and I have no complaints. Just make sure you get good glass!
05/29/2009 03:44:44 AM · #4
k4ffy, the lenses that come with the kit I am looking at are the canon 28-135mm and the 70-300. Are these good choices for my first DSLR lenses and for what I shoot?

scottieham, one of the big reasons I am looking at the 50D is because of the speed. Shooting motocross takes as much speed as I can get and the bursts will be just what I need.

The shop that I am looking at getting it at is closed until Sat. night so I have time to "stew" on my choices...hahhaha

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Message edited by author 2009-05-29 03:45:21.
05/29/2009 03:54:05 AM · #5
i just got a 50D and its great, the speed is awesome, sometimes too awesome :P
05/29/2009 05:29:37 AM · #6
50D is AWESOME! As far as lenses - the kit you mentioned with the 2 lenses has good range coverage. I used to have the 28-135 USM IS (great lens!), so I believe that would suit your needs very well. You can always sell off the lenses and get L glass in the future. Best of luck.
05/29/2009 06:23:42 AM · #7
I have shot a lot of motorsport with my 40D and completely love it. With your kit lenses you might suffer a little in low light/indoors. I got the body only then added Sigma EX F2.8 lenses, wonderful stuff.
05/29/2009 08:07:36 AM · #8
Originally posted by lonewolf:

k4ffy, the lenses that come with the kit I am looking at are the canon 28-135mm and the 70-300. Are these good choices for my first DSLR lenses and for what I shoot?

scottieham, one of the big reasons I am looking at the 50D is because of the speed. Shooting motocross takes as much speed as I can get and the bursts will be just what I need.

The shop that I am looking at getting it at is closed until Sat. night so I have time to "stew" on my choices...hahhaha

Thank you so much for your help!!!!


the ranges are certainly good, but i am not so sure about the quality of the lenses. i hear the 28-135mm is above average, so go for that, but i hear bad things about the 70-300mm lens. maybe skip that, save up a bit and buy a 70-200mm f/4L IS?
05/29/2009 11:41:34 AM · #9
i'd suggest if your shooting a lot of mx that you look at the 70-200 L as it is sealed and you won't end up with dust inside the lens! a seal;ed lens in this environment will make you happy much longer than a 70-300 I know!
05/29/2009 12:37:33 PM · #10
I got it, I love it!!!
05/29/2009 12:46:58 PM · #11
Originally posted by k4ffy:

...i hear bad things about the 70-300mm lens...

Are you sure you're not confusing this lens with the older 75-300? From everything I've heard, the 70-300 is extremely good, and sometimes called a "hidden L" lens.
05/29/2009 12:51:05 PM · #12
Originally posted by scalvert:

Originally posted by k4ffy:

...i hear bad things about the 70-300mm lens...

Are you sure you're not confusing this lens with the older 75-300? From everything I've heard, the 70-300 is extremely good, and sometimes called a "hidden L" lens.


i have the older 75-300mm and can personally verify that it sucks :)

i guess i'm wrong about the 70-300 then.
05/29/2009 03:11:20 PM · #13
Heres what I think I will do, let me know if this makes sence....Being that this is my first DSLR/different lenses etc...I think I will get the 50D kit with the 28-135mm and the 70-300mm, knowing that they are not "L" glass. While I use these and learn as much as I can with them I will save up for good/better lenses.

Sound like a good plan?

Thanks again for everyones help!!!
05/29/2009 03:50:20 PM · #14
Originally posted by lonewolf:

Heres what I think I will do, let me know if this makes sence....Being that this is my first DSLR/different lenses etc...I think I will get the 50D kit with the 28-135mm and the 70-300mm, knowing that they are not "L" glass. While I use these and learn as much as I can with them I will save up for good/better lenses.

Sound like a good plan?

Thanks again for everyones help!!!


sounds like a good plan! get some test shots up after you pick it up.
05/29/2009 05:05:16 PM · #15
Just for another option... If you shoot moto a lot... Look for a 2nd hand 1-series... something like the classic 1D or maybe a 1d2 (you won't get a 1dmk2 for the price of a 50D I don't think but worth a look). You get the far better build and focus of the 1-series which might be better...
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 07/05/2020 12:41:55 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 07/05/2020 12:41:55 AM EDT.