DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Cover of the New Yorker done with Iphone
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 17 of 17, (reverse)
AuthorThread
05/28/2009 11:41:39 AM · #1
Can you believe it? New Yorker cover done on iPhone app.
Source: www.tuaw.com
Looking at the cover of the June 1 New Yorker Magazine it is pretty hard to believe that it was created with a US$4.99 app on an iPhone.The app is Brushes [App Store] and it allows painting on the iPhone /iPod touch screen using your fingers and a variety of brush styles. ...

Message edited by author 2009-05-28 11:42:35.
05/28/2009 11:49:52 AM · #2
WOW!
05/28/2009 01:40:10 PM · #3
Geeze, I have that issue and I was thinking "Cool cover!", and had no clue it was an i-phone app... Amazing!

R.
05/28/2009 01:55:47 PM · #4
Fascinating. And am I right in guessing that he did this without starting with a photo?
05/28/2009 02:19:10 PM · #5
Originally posted by citymars:

Fascinating. And am I right in guessing that he did this without starting with a photo?


Yup. Drew it like an artist would paint it. Started with the BG, then layered the other stuff over it one by one. Of course, the guy IS an artist, this is just a new medium for him to draw/paint in.

R.
05/28/2009 02:19:18 PM · #6
Wow. I'm due for a phone upgrade. I really must get an iphone!
05/28/2009 02:28:58 PM · #7
Originally posted by tmhalling:

Can you believe it? New Yorker cover done on iPhone app.
Source: www.tuaw.com
Looking at the cover of the June 1 New Yorker Magazine it is pretty hard to believe that it was created with a US$4.99 app on an iPhone.The app is Brushes [App Store] and it allows painting on the iPhone /iPod touch screen using your fingers and a variety of brush styles. ...

Thank you so much for posting this. Like Bear, I have the issue, but after appreciating the usual good NewYorker art, just went on to the content with never another thought to the process.

Now, I can hardly wait until Monday when they post the "how to" video on the website.
05/28/2009 02:33:01 PM · #8
How inspiring. Because of this iPhone has dropped it's price on the Brushes app for a limited time.

Heres a youtube video on a speed portrait done on the iphone [url]//www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iv5dDGjUXI[url]
05/28/2009 02:39:08 PM · #9
The iPhone is a pretty capable computing platform, and a pretty good 2 MP camera. My Free Study entry for May was shot with an iPhone. I'd love it to blue ribbon just so there would be an iPhone blue.

It's too bad, really, that the iPhone + AT&T's broken 3G network make such a lousy telephone platform, but I digress.

So get the iPhone for the apps, the browser, the mail, the twitter, the texting, the always with you camera ... but beware poor telephone performance.
05/28/2009 03:52:57 PM · #10
Originally posted by pixelpig:

Wow. I'm due for a phone upgrade. I really must get an iphone!


I'd wait a few weeks...
05/28/2009 03:55:58 PM · #11
FWIW - the samsung omnia has a 5mp camera, and i have a photoshop like app for it. costs more than $4.99... but there are other options. i am on verizon.

there is more to life than apple products :)

cool article though. read it yesterday.


05/28/2009 04:01:02 PM · #12
I have the iPhone and I can't stand the camera in it - no zoom takes forever for shutter to happen. But LOVE everything else about it.
05/28/2009 04:21:37 PM · #13
Originally posted by Gordon:

Originally posted by pixelpig:

Wow. I'm due for a phone upgrade. I really must get an iphone!


I'd wait a few weeks...


haha my contract ended about 2 years ago & this stupid free candybar phone just won't die! I use ATT. So, what am I waiting a few weeks for?
05/28/2009 04:32:12 PM · #14
3rd generation iphone release/announcement some time next month rumors abound.

Message edited by author 2009-05-28 16:32:46.
05/28/2009 04:36:03 PM · #15
Originally posted by freakin_hilarious:

3rd generation iphone release/announcement some time next month rumors abound.


oh. maybe worth the little wait, then!
05/29/2009 01:03:01 AM · #16
Originally posted by Dr.Confuser:

The iPhone is a pretty capable computing platform, and a pretty good 2 MP camera. My Free Study entry for May was shot with an iPhone. I'd love it to blue ribbon just so there would be an iPhone blue.

It's too bad, really, that the iPhone + AT&T's broken 3G network make such a lousy telephone platform, but I digress.

So get the iPhone for the apps, the browser, the mail, the twitter, the texting, the always with you camera ... but beware poor telephone performance.


The irony of a phone that does everything other than be a phone excellently is truly too much for me.
That is pretty cool with the app though.

Also, fixed link for youtube video from project365

Message edited by author 2009-05-29 01:03:19.
05/29/2009 03:41:29 AM · #17
Thats awesome. I would be aweful with that app, when typing texts i usually hit the wrong letter so trying to draw would be a nightmare for me : )

I love my iphone, wouldnt be without it!! Also in the UK it works superbly as a phone, I did have a nightmare with network coverage when in Vermont over xmas though.

Message edited by author 2009-05-29 03:41:46.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 10/24/2020 11:10:06 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 10/24/2020 11:10:06 PM EDT.