DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Lighting 4 ... Scores
Pages:  
Showing posts 26 - 50 of 77, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/15/2009 12:43:14 PM · #26
I never really understood all this talk about bad scores being a sign that one should take a hiatus. For me, if I don't do as well as I would like in a challenge, it lights a fire under me to enter again as soon as I can so I can try to redeem myself. Not that I ever redeem myself. But I always want to ;) I guess it depends on the person too. After all, a 5.6 would make me giddy for the rest of the day! :D
04/15/2009 01:11:14 PM · #27
Originally posted by smudgeSMJ:

I never really understood all this talk about bad scores being a sign that one should take a hiatus. For me, if I don't do as well as I would like in a challenge, it lights a fire under me to enter again as soon as I can so I can try to redeem myself.


It's easy to understand: Taking a break from entering challenges, after all else seems to fail, is preferable to being frustrated to the point of getting angry about being wrong time and time again and having your expectations about what the results of all your hard work and time should be stomped on.

The fire has been lit, trust me. But just when I think I'm going to burn down the house the voter's fire brigade shows up and douses the flames. When challenges get this discouraging (for me) I prefer to take a break from them.

I still pursue my photography and I still sell my prints. By the way, this challenge entry that is scoring well below my average has sold this week for an average of $55.00 for a 12 x 18" (three sales) and for $25.00 for an 8 x 12" (one sale). So it's reassuring that this image is appreciated by people who take the time to look at it instead of bragging that they just accomplished voting 100% on challenge entries mere hours into the voting period.

Message edited by author 2009-04-15 13:13:33.
04/15/2009 04:52:49 PM · #28
well my light started shining fairly bright but is swiftly dimming... hopefully someone finds the switch and turns it back up :)
04/15/2009 06:58:14 PM · #29
Originally posted by smudgeSMJ:

I never really understood all this talk about bad scores being a sign that one should take a hiatus. For me, if I don't do as well as I would like in a challenge, it lights a fire under me to enter again as soon as I can so I can try to redeem myself. Not that I ever redeem myself. But I always want to ;) I guess it depends on the person too. After all, a 5.6 would make me giddy for the rest of the day! :D


I never really was that good to begin with, so it's not that big of a dropoff, but it's just so discouraging to come up with a shot, submit it, and go through the anticipation only to see initial scores in the 3's and 4's. The worst part is coming back from a longish break, thinking I had it figured out (it being the ability to score above average, i.e. 5+), and then come out of the box with 4 straight 4's.

It does light a fire in me to come back strong in the next challenge, but there's only so much of that that can happen before it becomes a bit grating.
04/15/2009 07:05:30 PM · #30
urrrk 6.5 down to 6.1

04/15/2009 07:10:58 PM · #31
Ummm - also got slapped by that stinky dead fish - dropped down from 5.5 to 5.3 in the last few votes.... down down down...
04/15/2009 07:14:47 PM · #32
I swear I can hear the Titanic song
04/15/2009 07:34:59 PM · #33
Since 10am I fell from 6.6 to 6.0

I really wish you ppl would make up your minds. :P
04/15/2009 07:37:51 PM · #34
someone got lots of loose pennies... giving 1s to everybody
04/15/2009 10:23:28 PM · #35
yakatme, I can't help but think that at the end of the day, most people just vote for the prettiest photo. Regardless of creative flair, originality or the obvious effort that went into making it relevant to the topic. Not everyone of course, but I suspect the majority.
Except those sad wretches who deliberately give the competition low scores to boost their own chances.
04/16/2009 04:37:51 AM · #36
Originally posted by surlybiff:

I have often wondered if people take points off a photo for being off subject, even if it's a great photo. For me it was the winner of the last textures contest. As lovely as it was, I'm sure that same fruity image comes up again and again in every contest, regardless of the topic. I guess points for originality must be in scare supply.

**emphasis mine

One of the reasons why I decided to use that little Kiwano in the first place is because it was used only once before and that was back in December of '04. I'm a big believer in submitting unique shots when possible. You'll never see another Kiwano in my profile again. Even if a Fruit challenge came up next week, there's no way in hell I'd do another version of it simply because it worked once before. Besides, if I did do another one, the voters would punish it the next go around. That's starting to be the trend around here lately. If you keep submitting the same type of shot over and over again or are recognizable in some way, check the vote counter in the end and see how many 1,2,3 votes you get. It doesn't matter how perfect the shot may be.

For lighting:
Votes: 84
Views: 114
Avg Vote: 5.4643
Comments: 4

p.s. if you ever see a Kiwano in the store, buy it and take it home. Once you hold it in your hand and then cut it open you might change your mind about its texture(s).
04/16/2009 06:38:31 AM · #37
Yeah sorry I must clarify, it wasn't a personal attack on you. What I meant was very similar images of fruit taken with the same cropping and same lighting appear again and again, by different people. It's no doubt a beautiful image and I can see why you used that fruit. If I thought I could get a shot like that I might well try too.
It was more a comment on the question of voting for prettiness vs voting for originality and/or relevance.
But congrats, it's a wonderful shot and well worthy of a ribbon in any case.

Message edited by author 2009-04-16 06:41:26.
04/16/2009 07:47:48 AM · #38
Originally posted by surlybiff:

I have often wondered if people take points off a photo for being off subject, even if it's a great photo. For me it was the winner of the last textures contest. As lovely as it was, I'm sure that same fruity image comes up again and again in every contest, regardless of the topic I guess points for originality must be in scare supply.

**emphasis mine

I would think there should be some penalty, afterall it would make challenges of different subject matters rather pointless if it were ignored. There will always be the debate of how much? Did the voter miss the interpretation etc.

Wonder whether there has been any theory offered around East vs West Hemisphere voting trends?

Someone's whistling that Titanic tune again.

Message edited by author 2009-04-16 07:48:55.
04/16/2009 04:29:29 PM · #39
Originally posted by yakatme:

Votes: 40
Views: 65
Avg Vote: 5.6500
Comments: 0
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 04/15/09 12:30 pm


I'm sick of this crap! I don't think that anybody slows down to take the time to really understand and appreciate the creativity that went into my new found style of photographing my subject. I just thought that this challenge would be perfect because the challenge details specified "Use lighting in a creative fashion this week" and that's exactly what my entry is all about.

This is my third attempt at this type of photography in a challenge and nobody has caught on yet to how I light my subjects, even though I decided, this time, to spell it out in the title.

Or....maybe it's me. Maybe I think too much of this entry and two others in the same style in the past year and they are not as wonderful as I think they are. My last Free Study entry (my 49th challenge entry) ended up being my worst score ever and I thought that it would easily be in the top 10%. Boy, was I way off! So, again, maybe it's me that needs to have my head and judgement recalibrated.

Maybe I need to just take a break from here. I would really prefer to truly understand where it is that my expectations are so misguided.

Okay, I'm done ranting for now. Thanks for you time.


It warms the heart when someone sees the light in the same post they started to ask why they haven't seen the light ;)

Message edited by author 2009-04-16 16:46:19.
04/16/2009 04:35:38 PM · #40
Originally posted by K10DGuy:


It warms the heart when someone sees the light in the same thread they started to ask why they haven't seen the light ;)


Well..... I'm still left in the dark :)
04/16/2009 04:46:43 PM · #41
Originally posted by keegbow:

Originally posted by K10DGuy:


It warms the heart when someone sees the light in the same thread they started to ask why they haven't seen the light ;)


Well..... I'm still left in the dark :)


I meant 'post' not 'thread', of course.

I'm still in the dark myself.
04/16/2009 04:50:35 PM · #42
I haven't had a single vote all day...

04/16/2009 06:16:32 PM · #43
Originally posted by Kelli:

I haven't had a single vote all day...


Likewise, several updates and my score has not moved.
Anyone else experiencing this?
04/16/2009 08:59:53 PM · #44
Is it me or are there some people in this challenge that didn't even try to meet it?
04/16/2009 09:38:17 PM · #45
Votes: 90
Views: 150
Avg Vote: 5.7778
Comments: 3
Favorites: 0

Mediocrity is SO boring! :(
04/16/2009 10:21:15 PM · #46
Originally posted by K10DGuy:

Originally posted by yakatme:

Votes: 40
Views: 65
Avg Vote: 5.6500
Comments: 0
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 04/15/09 12:30 pm


I'm sick of this crap! I don't think that anybody slows down to take the time to really understand and appreciate the creativity that went into my new found style of photographing my subject. I just thought that this challenge would be perfect because the challenge details specified "Use lighting in a creative fashion this week" and that's exactly what my entry is all about.

This is my third attempt at this type of photography in a challenge and nobody has caught on yet to how I light my subjects, even though I decided, this time, to spell it out in the title.

Or....maybe it's me. Maybe I think too much of this entry and two others in the same style in the past year and they are not as wonderful as I think they are. My last Free Study entry (my 49th challenge entry) ended up being my worst score ever and I thought that it would easily be in the top 10%. Boy, was I way off! So, again, maybe it's me that needs to have my head and judgement recalibrated.

Maybe I need to just take a break from here. I would really prefer to truly understand where it is that my expectations are so misguided.

Okay, I'm done ranting for now. Thanks for you time.


It warms the heart when someone sees the light in the same post they started to ask why they haven't seen the light ;)


Boy, you're a clever one aren't you? I'll bet that you felt a little tinge of excitement and satisfaction when you finished crafting your one-liner and hit the enter key...and then the disappointment that it wasn't perfect because you had to edit it to change "thread" to read "post". Damn, it was almost perfect.
Originally posted by K10DGuy:

;)


No, I'm not seeing the light that you are implying that I am seeing. I was just backing off a little bit from my rant of sorts and toning it down a little. I don't really think that it's me.

Here's my honest opinion: It's not me. It's voters who care more about looking at pretty pictures than considering how well an entry meets a challenge that directed us to use lighting in a creative way. They just don't see it even when it's spelled out for them in the title.

It's voters who rush through all the entries in a challenge so that they can brag about voting 100% at the expense of truly judging what they barely see.

It might be voters who don't know enough to intelligently judge anything about a photo other than, again, how pretty it is. Maybe they just don't know enough to be a decent judge of photography. This is DPChallenge, a digital photography contest, not pretty picture share group.

It's what countless other threads have covered regarding the difference between 1) being able to take a good picture and/or produce a great image that tackles the challenge presented and 2) being able to produce the overprocessed, oversaturated pretty pictures that the average voter likes. I've proven that I can do both. My Rainforest blue ribbon entry was crafted to appeal to voters who don't know what they are looking at...and it worked. Not to say that many others didn't like it too, but my goal for that challenge was solely to accomplish #2 above.

Since then, I've gone back to strictly following the challenge description (mostly) and I have seriously accepted the challenge description to be a test of my ability to produce an image as assigned. Too bad for me that this is not how entries on DPChallenge are judged today.

Yeah, I see the light. Just not the light that you thought I was seeing.
04/16/2009 10:24:37 PM · #47
Originally posted by ragamuffingirl:

Is it me or are there some people in this challenge that didn't even try to meet it?


Thank you.
04/16/2009 11:12:08 PM · #48
I feel like posting scores instead of the same old debate of why people score low.

Votes: 94
Views: 163
Avg Vote: 6.319
04/16/2009 11:14:49 PM · #49
Votes: 92
Views: 148
Avg Vote: 5.1848
Comments: 6
Favorites: 1
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 04/16/09 11:12 pm

After submitting your requests, vote assuming the entry did not violate any rules. seriously voters REMEMBER THAT!
04/16/2009 11:17:33 PM · #50
Originally posted by mgarsteck:

I feel like posting scores instead of the same old debate of why people score low.



But that’s why I read the score threads. They attract the “voters don’t understand me sect” and the “challenge description fanatics club” makes interesting reading not to mention a good laugh as well.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 05/21/2019 08:44:13 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 05/21/2019 08:44:13 AM EDT.