DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Crayon Art
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 29, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/09/2009 06:19:52 AM · #1
How Cool!

Crayon Art
04/09/2009 06:58:14 AM · #2
I refuse to go THAT far for a challenge! lol
04/09/2009 06:58:57 AM · #3
Originally posted by BeeCee:

I refuse to go THAT far for a challenge! lol


LOL
04/09/2009 07:00:27 AM · #4
That site is reallllllllly slow, but I managed to see a few pictures. Pretty cool. So who's going to do that for the challenge?
04/09/2009 07:09:55 AM · #5
Thats unbelievably good - did you see the b&w portraits?

I wonder how my Mona Lisa will compare ;-)
04/09/2009 07:24:57 AM · #6
I'm wondering if he used a computer program to tell him how to arrange the crayons. Then again, even if I had crayon-by-number I wouldn't have the patience to do it.
04/09/2009 07:45:06 AM · #7
Yes, I was thinking that he might have done something like reduce the size of a photo to very small, then blown it up to intentionally pixelate it so he has clear squares to fit crayons into. Then again, he could be using latch hook rug or tapestry patterns.......probably not nearly as difficult as it seems, just really really time consuming!
04/09/2009 07:48:11 AM · #8
Originally posted by BeeCee:

I refuse to go THAT far for a challenge! lol


I second that! Wow... must have taken forever!
04/09/2009 07:51:04 AM · #9
Looks like the Lite Brite I had as a kid, without the light. Not that I did portraits when I was 8, but same principal.
04/09/2009 08:12:05 AM · #10
There is text under each photo, here is how he does it:

He starts each work by scanning a photo into a computer and breaking the image down into coloured blocks
He then draws a grid that shows him exactly where to place each crayon
The finished artworks are packed tightly into wooden frames
In case you wondering, no, he doesn't buy thousands of boxes of crayons
...he actually makes the crayons himself...
...hand-casting each one in a mould
04/09/2009 08:27:13 AM · #11
Originally posted by KarenNfld:

There is text under each photo, here is how he does it:

He starts each work by scanning a photo into a computer and breaking the image down into coloured blocks
He then draws a grid that shows him exactly where to place each crayon
The finished artworks are packed tightly into wooden frames
In case you wondering, no, he doesn't buy thousands of boxes of crayons
...he actually makes the crayons himself...
...hand-casting each one in a mould


lol, this guy needs more kids.....or to concentrate on making more of them :-)
04/09/2009 08:44:07 AM · #12
Originally posted by KarenNfld:

There is text under each photo, here is how he does it:

He starts each work by scanning a photo into a computer and breaking the image down into coloured blocks
He then draws a grid that shows him exactly where to place each crayon
The finished artworks are packed tightly into wooden frames
In case you wondering, no, he doesn't buy thousands of boxes of crayons
...he actually makes the crayons himself...
...hand-casting each one in a mould


so he is essentially doing a paint by number then for each image,
and making his own crayons allows him to match colors
04/09/2009 09:28:50 AM · #13
780825.jpg
04/09/2009 09:30:03 AM · #14
I just wish I had some crayons lol
04/09/2009 11:03:52 AM · #15
he makes his own crayons !

pretty crazy

here's his website.
//www.christianfaur.com/crayons/crayons.html
04/12/2009 01:51:24 PM · #16
I'm in - after quite a break... sigh life is so busy and weeks go by between entering images lately. Anyway I have TWO in this week. Have defiantly stretched my interpretation of this challenge topic and the description so my image will turn round and bite me in the butt no doubt - but a fun way to spend Easter Sunday afternoon :-)

You'll see me on the comments and voting pages tomorrow morning!!
04/12/2009 01:52:09 PM · #17
can someone give me an opinion on my entry?
04/12/2009 02:00:31 PM · #18
Originally posted by JDubsgirl:

can someone give me an opinion on my entry?


I will not submit for this challenge so why not? I d like to help... you may email me (ikopanas@ote.gr)
04/12/2009 02:01:20 PM · #19
Somebody has a LOT of time on their hands!!
04/12/2009 02:01:31 PM · #20
Originally posted by ssocrates:

Originally posted by JDubsgirl:

can someone give me an opinion on my entry?


I will not submit for this challenge so why not? I d like to help... you may email me (ikopanas@ote.gr)


thanks! ill send it over asap
04/12/2009 04:39:53 PM · #21
if the time on my hands paid well - i'd take it !

Originally posted by heatherd:

Somebody has a LOT of time on their hands!!

04/12/2009 06:03:27 PM · #22
Wow, I love the idea behind the Forgotten Children series and spelling out their names with crayons.

ETA: And he makes his own crayons?? Wow.

Message edited by author 2009-04-12 18:04:23.
04/12/2009 07:26:32 PM · #23
Originally posted by rcollier:

Looks like the Lite Brite I had as a kid, without the light. Not that I did portraits when I was 8, but same principal.

It's also very similar to the painting technique of pointillism, which in turn forms the underlying framework for all digital and analog electronic image reproduction.
04/12/2009 07:47:44 PM · #24
some of the coolest paintings i have seen have been done with that technique.

very cool to look at the strokes and dots up close and have the painting be completely abstract - step away and BOOM you've got a scene... :0

Originally posted by GeneralE:

It's also very similar to the painting technique of pointillism, which in turn forms the underlying framework for all digital and analog electronic image reproduction.

04/12/2009 08:19:40 PM · #25
Originally posted by undieyatch:

780825.jpg

seriously...Now that my mom is retired, I think I will talk her into doing random things like this just for my amusement :)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 05/20/2019 12:34:10 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 05/20/2019 12:34:10 PM EDT.