DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Photography Discussion >> Birds of Prey
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 26, (reverse)
AuthorThread
05/01/2004 08:30:43 PM · #1
I never get tired of birds or flowers, but I'd love to see you birds of prey! Raptors are really cool!

Here's my latest:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6870/thumb/73532.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6870/thumb/73532.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Do you have nifty ones?
05/01/2004 09:19:54 PM · #2
Not so nifty maybe, but itís the best hawk shot I got yesterday. I got much better photos of the Blue Herons and geese though.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/16230/thumb/73609.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/16230/thumb/73609.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

--Mick

05/01/2004 09:34:22 PM · #3
Originally posted by dsidwell:

I never get tired of birds or flowers, but I'd love to see you birds of prey! Raptors are really cool!

Here's my latest:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6870/thumb/73532.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6870/thumb/73532.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Do you have nifty ones?


Is this taken with your F-707? Super shot and very nice work in post processing, definately done in the "spirit" of better photography.
05/01/2004 09:47:35 PM · #4
That is an amazing shot!
05/01/2004 10:19:32 PM · #5
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6520/thumb/73629.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6520/thumb/73629.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
A composite from a year ago, I liked it then but not too much now!
Nice work on your picture David!Animals that hunt in numbers like the harris hawk have a much higher kill ratio, they really are amazing!

Message edited by author 2004-05-01 22:22:45.
05/01/2004 11:02:59 PM · #6
She does not look very threatening, but she is technically a raptor :)

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/489/thumb/73639.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/489/thumb/73639.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Edit: I am a rotten typist.

Message edited by author 2004-05-01 23:03:45.
05/01/2004 11:10:20 PM · #7
here are a few Red Tail Hawks

Red 1

Red 2

James

Message edited by author 2004-05-01 23:10:50.
05/01/2004 11:11:49 PM · #8
Originally posted by Dim7:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6520/thumb/73629.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6520/thumb/73629.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
A composite from a year ago, I liked it then but not too much now!
Nice work on your picture David!Animals that hunt in numbers like the harris hawk have a much higher kill ratio, they really are amazing!


Wow! A really fun and spooky shot!
05/01/2004 11:12:11 PM · #9
Originally posted by richterrell:

She does not look very threatening, but she is technically a raptor :)

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/489/thumb/73639.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/489/thumb/73639.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Edit: I am a rotten typist.


What makes this shot so interesting is that, knowing it is a raptor, the contrast between what we expect (a sharp hunter with perhaps a bit of wildness) and what we get (a demure-looking, cute bird) is very engaging.
05/01/2004 11:12:40 PM · #10
Originally posted by micknewton:

Not so nifty maybe, but itís the best hawk shot I got yesterday. I got much better photos of the Blue Herons and geese though.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/16230/thumb/73609.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/16230/thumb/73609.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

--Mick


Sure, a little out of focus, but the composition is good, and you managed to really highlight the red on the tail!
05/01/2004 11:27:01 PM · #11
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6388/thumb/73643.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6388/thumb/73643.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

on the way home from work last summer...
05/02/2004 12:06:23 AM · #12
Originally posted by Pedro:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6388/thumb/73643.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6388/thumb/73643.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

on the way home from work last summer...

Wow, how did manage to get this shot? It looks like you either had a very long lens, or the bird let you get real close.
05/02/2004 12:09:33 AM · #13
Originally posted by micknewton:

Originally posted by Pedro:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6388/thumb/73643.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6388/thumb/73643.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

on the way home from work last summer...

Wow, how did manage to get this shot? It looks like you either had a very long lens, or the bird let you get real close.


I was maybe 10 feet away. She wasn't willing to leave her lunch unless it was absolutely necessary. I used my coolpix which has a 35mm equivalent lens that zooms to about 280mm.

The hawks around here aren't too scared of us...we're more scared of them ;)
05/02/2004 12:30:58 AM · #14
Originally posted by Pedro:

The hawks around here aren't too scared of us...we're more scared of them ;)

Make eye contact, keep your head up and shoulders back, project confidence, and don't let them know that you're afraid. :)

It's cool that they will let you get that close. I've just started photographing the birds around here, but so far I'm lucky to get within a hundred yards or so. The encounters are usually very brief too. There is very little time to think about lighting, composition, focus, aperture, shutter speed, etc., etc. It can be frustrating at times, but it's a lot of fun too.
05/02/2004 12:34:22 AM · #15
Originally posted by micknewton:

Originally posted by Pedro:

The hawks around here aren't too scared of us...we're more scared of them ;)

Make eye contact, keep your head up and shoulders back, project confidence, and don't let them know that you're afraid. :)

It's cool that they will let you get that close. I've just started photographing the birds around here, but so far I'm lucky to get within a hundred yards or so. The encounters are usually very brief too. There is very little time to think about lighting, composition, focus, aperture, shutter speed, etc., etc. It can be frustrating at times, but it's a lot of fun too.


these ones start dive bombing if you get too clse to the nest. Once I stopped to...um...'water' a tree, and apparently that tree housed a nest. talk about scared. they're diving at me and clawing at my head while I've got my...well, you gett he idea. :)
05/02/2004 01:09:04 AM · #16
Originally posted by dsidwell:

Sure, a little out of focus, but the composition is good, and you managed to really highlight the red on the tail!

Yes, the focus isn't very sharp. I was using autofocus and it kept changing as I tracked the moving bird. Maybe I should try focusing manually. I also need to get a dioptric adjustment lens for my camera so I don't have to use my reading glasses to see clearly in the viewfinder.

BTW, I got a special issue of National Geographic magazine in the mail the other day. It has an article about Bald Eagles that is very interesting, and the photos by Norbert Rosing are just astounding! Here's a couple links I found...
nationalgeographic.com feature
nationalgeographic.com assignment
Bald Eagle photos
05/02/2004 01:15:06 AM · #17
Originally posted by Pedro:

these ones start dive bombing if you get too clse to the nest. Once I stopped to...um...'water' a tree, and apparently that tree housed a nest. talk about scared. they're diving at me and clawing at my head while I've got my...well, you gett he idea. :)

That's hilarious! I bet it would have made a great photo too. :)
05/02/2004 01:16:42 AM · #18
Originally posted by micknewton:

Originally posted by Pedro:

these ones start dive bombing if you get too clse to the nest. Once I stopped to...um...'water' a tree, and apparently that tree housed a nest. talk about scared. they're diving at me and clawing at my head while I've got my...well, you gett he idea. :)

That's hilarious! I bet it would have made a great photo too. :)


it's not that kind of site... :)
05/02/2004 01:22:52 AM · #19
Originally posted by micknewton:

Originally posted by dsidwell:

Sure, a little out of focus, but the composition is good, and you managed to really highlight the red on the tail!

Yes, the focus isn't very sharp. I was using autofocus and it kept changing as I tracked the moving bird. Maybe I should try focusing manually. I also need to get a dioptric adjustment lens for my camera so I don't have to use my reading glasses to see clearly in the viewfinder.

BTW, I got a special issue of National Geographic magazine in the mail the other day. It has an article about Bald Eagles that is very interesting, and the photos by Norbert Rosing are just astounding! Here's a couple links I found...
nationalgeographic.com feature
nationalgeographic.com assignment
Bald Eagle photos


Fun articles and photos. With birds, I'm a complete novice. However, I have discovered that you just have to start shooting, and keep shooting. Good thing we're digital! No wasted film!

05/02/2004 01:43:52 AM · #20
' . substr('//groups.msn.com/beckmanfrankandjan/hawk.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=960', strrpos('//groups.msn.com/beckmanfrankandjan/hawk.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=960', '/') + 1) . '
05/02/2004 09:55:00 AM · #21
A red tailed hawk took one of my chickens and left this print in the snow. It's about four feet across.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/2764/thumb/58646.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/2764/thumb/58646.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
05/02/2004 10:53:44 AM · #22
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/11895/thumb/67045.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/11895/thumb/67045.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
Sharp-shinned Hawk
05/02/2004 11:51:05 AM · #23
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/12223/thumb/73091.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/12223/thumb/73091.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/12223/thumb/73738.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/12223/thumb/73738.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/12223/thumb/73739.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/12223/thumb/73739.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/12223/thumb/73740.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/12223/thumb/73740.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
05/02/2004 11:55:36 AM · #24
I dont seem to get much luck with raptors. Either I have the wrong lens on when I do spot one, they are too far away, or I'm driving on the freeway at 70mph.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/187/thumb/60584.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/187/thumb/60584.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Got this one at the zoo, but it looked more cool watching him do it than the capture shows.
05/02/2004 04:22:22 PM · #25
Here are a few of what I did recently:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/9932/thumb/73810.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/9932/thumb/73810.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' - ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/9932/thumb/73811.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/9932/thumb/73811.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' - ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/9932/thumb/73812.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/9932/thumb/73812.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/28/2020 09:00:27 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/28/2020 09:00:27 AM EST.