DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Out and About >> 3rd Annual Redrock Destination GTG June 11-16
Pages:  
Showing posts 76 - 100 of 187, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/10/2009 02:19:20 PM · #76
Originally posted by Rebecca:

Well, it's not looking good for me this year... I'm hopeful that I'll have a job by then, but without guarantees I just can't justify the expense. It might have been another story if there were Couchsurfers at a reasonable distance from Kanab (closest are in Hurricane or Colorado City, roughly an hour away, which makes keeping up with the group difficult) or a hostel (there MIGHT be one, and it would be $15/night, but I can't find any solid info about it which makes me wonder if it's actually there), and I can't realistically afford $60/night plus gas right now. I would camp, but I have no equipment and all the local campgrounds appear to be RV only.

Ah well, I pulled out all my best Scroogy tricks, Kanab just looks to be too small for them to work.


I found info on the hostel, too, except that the phone is disconnected and the booking places say there is no vacancy. I imagine that it is a summer only establishment and won't be available until later in the spring. That's the USA Hostels Grand Canyon @ 143 E. 100 S. Kanab

I also found the Paria Canyon Adventure Ranch which has 16 hostel rooms. It's 43 miles from Kanab, between Kanab & Page. We'll be doing some of our stuff from right there, so it's possible it could work out.
02/10/2009 02:27:50 PM · #77
Originally posted by rjkstesch:

Originally posted by Rebecca:

Well, it's not looking good for me this year... I'm hopeful that I'll have a job by then, but without guarantees I just can't justify the expense. It might have been another story if there were Couchsurfers at a reasonable distance from Kanab (closest are in Hurricane or Colorado City, roughly an hour away, which makes keeping up with the group difficult) or a hostel (there MIGHT be one, and it would be $15/night, but I can't find any solid info about it which makes me wonder if it's actually there), and I can't realistically afford $60/night plus gas right now. I would camp, but I have no equipment and all the local campgrounds appear to be RV only.

Ah well, I pulled out all my best Scroogy tricks, Kanab just looks to be too small for them to work.


I found info on the hostel, too, except that the phone is disconnected and the booking places say there is no vacancy. I imagine that it is a summer only establishment and won't be available until later in the spring. That's the USA Hostels Grand Canyon @ 143 E. 100 S. Kanab

I also found the Paria Canyon Adventure Ranch which has 16 hostel rooms. It's 43 miles from Kanab, between Kanab & Page. We'll be doing some of our stuff from right there, so it's possible it could work out.


I'm actually thinking that the hostel doesn't exist - even if it was a summer-only establishment, there are no pictures, no reviews, nothing to indicate that anyone has ever stayed there at any time. It should at least have its own website noting summer-only availability.
02/10/2009 07:55:42 PM · #78
I have two backpacking tents, a 1 person and a 3 person, that I would not mind bringing down with me and loaning out. I'm driving down and already have a room reserved. Let me know if your interested.
02/13/2009 06:10:07 PM · #79
going to have to count me out---can't get the time Hope everyone gets some great shots!!! make sure i get to see some!!!
02/13/2009 06:26:34 PM · #80
Originally posted by rider:

going to have to count me out---can't get the time Hope everyone gets some great shots!!! make sure i get to see some!!!


Bummer! Sometime work gets in the way of life, doesn't it. Take care.
02/17/2009 01:12:24 AM · #81
Possible, should have the new home finished and moved in by then.
Don
02/17/2009 12:41:13 PM · #82
Originally posted by PhantomEWO:

Possible, should have the new home finished and moved in by then.
Don


Don, that would be fantastic. Unfortunately, there's nowhere to drive extremely fast, but I'm sure there will be some other risky behaviors while we're there. Just don't expect the rest of us to indulge. ;-)
02/18/2009 08:08:54 AM · #83
Don't worry, I'm sure I'll do something.
I'm still not afraid of heights....

Message edited by author 2009-02-18 08:14:57.
02/19/2009 04:18:50 PM · #84
Reminder time: I have only had 3 people apply for their permits to The Wave area (Coyote Butte). The odds are not good, so we need all of us to make our application. Please PM me when you send in the application.

It's time for our next step on the 4th Annual Red Rock GTG. We'd love to get permits to go to the Coyote Buttes area and hike to the Wave as part of our GTG. It does take permits which are hard to get. Now is the time to apply for the permits. There are only 10 permits available per day, and many have already applied, so the odds are not great.

To apply, go to: https://www.blm.gov/az/paria/lotteryapply.cfm?areaid=2&CFID=81239&CFTOKEN=63736200&jsessionid=903087678bcd1b627e12TR
If the site won't come up, change a security setting on your net by going to Tools - Internet Options - Advanced tab - & scroll to the bottom to check Use TLS 1.0 , hit enter and then try again.

Once on the application site, make 3 choices of dates, making sure to use the dates you'll be there. We anticipate arriving on June 11th and leaving on the 16th. Then fill out the rest of the application.

After that, we wait until we hear back. Hopefully some of us will get permits.

Take care, and PM me back to let me know when you apply for the permit.
02/24/2009 08:23:59 PM · #85
We're down to the final few days to apply for a chance at Coyote Butte permits that will allow us to get to the Wave. There are only 10 slots available per day. Look at how many slots have been applied for:
Number of Requests:
Coyote Buttes North
Requested Date # of Requests # of People
Wed. 6/03/2009 78 244
Mon. 6/01/2009 76 248
Tue. 6/02/2009 76 235
Fri. 6/05/2009 75 243
Sat. 6/06/2009 74 287
Thu. 6/11/2009 70 183
Thu. 6/04/2009 69 199
Fri. 6/12/2009 69 179
Sun. 6/07/2009 62 221
Tue. 6/09/2009 62 173
Wed. 6/10/2009 62 163
Sat. 6/13/2009 58 201
Mon. 6/08/2009 55 170
Thu. 6/18/2009 49 166
Wed. 6/17/2009 46 133
Mon. 6/15/2009 41 123
Mon. 6/29/2009 39 124
Sat. 6/20/2009 38 124
Sun. 6/14/2009 37 125
Fri. 6/19/2009 37 108
Tue. 6/30/2009 37 127
Tue. 6/16/2009 36 115
Tue. 6/23/2009 36 97
Sun. 6/28/2009 36 124
Sun. 6/21/2009 35 115
Mon. 6/22/2009 32 95
Wed. 6/24/2009 31 85
Fri. 6/26/2009 30 85
Thu. 6/25/2009 29 80
Sat. 6/27/2009 28 85

If we want a chance, each of us must apply. Look at the post above for the link to apply.
02/25/2009 07:40:23 AM · #86
With all the talk of "The Wave" and the difficulty of getting permits to it, there is another incredible geologic photo opportunity in that area called "The Rimrocks" by the BLM that requires no permits at all.

The Rimrocks, often called "The Toadstools" by common folks like me, is about 20 miles west of Page, Arizona and a short hike off Highway 89. It is just a few miles past the turnoff to "The Wave" when driving from Kanab and on the north side of the highway. It is a cluster of delicate hoodoos found mostly within an eroded alcove below a cliff. They are not visible from the highway.

You can see pictures here:
Paria Rimrocks Photos

You can learn more about it including how to find The Rimrocks here:
The Paria Rimrocks

It is a south facing and probably best photographed at sunrise. Unfortunately, my pictures were taken in the afternoon. :(

Message edited by author 2009-02-25 07:42:53.
02/25/2009 08:15:08 AM · #87
For those intending to go to Antelope Canyon outside Page, I recommend stopping at another world class photo opportunity just a few miles away from it. It is called Horseshoe Canyon or Horseshoe Bend. It is due south of Page about 5 miles or so and another short hike off 89 on the west side of the highway.

Again, like The Rimrocks, there are no access fees.

My photographs don't do the place justice but here are a couple by others to give you an idea what you'll find there:
Fisheye View of Horseshoe Canyon
Another More Traditional View

This place is best photographed with a wide-angled lens or as a panorama of multiple frames. You are facing west so gauge the time of day you'd like to photograph it accordingly. You will need a higher sun to get light deep into the canyon. Overcast skies are good in order to prevent harsh shadows.

WARNING:
The canyon is easily more than 700 feet deep and it is straight down without any protective fencing of any kind. Be advised there is a very real danger that you could slip and plummet to your death. Be careful!

But, heck, if you don't put your life in danger to get a great shot then where is the fun?

Message edited by author 2009-02-25 08:16:08.
02/25/2009 07:01:46 PM · #88
Excellent photos of Horseshoe Bend. It's difficult to get the entire bend without a very wide lens. I'm heading down to Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, and everywhere between Utah and there the first week of March for at least a week. Nothing to do but take photos and videos. I guess I'll have a head start on ya'll.
03/01/2009 03:13:11 PM · #89
looks like my permit app was not one select:

Lottery run date: March 1, 2009
Dear J.B. Smith,

Unfortunately the dates and entries you chose did not become available to you in our lottery application process for a Coyote Buttes North permit...

Your unsuccessful lottery application was for:
Area: Coyote Buttes North
Number in group: 6
Requested Dates: 6/12/2009, 6/14/2009, 6/13/2009

Thank you for using the Paria Canyon/Coyote Buttes Permit System


Hope someone else is successful!

Message edited by author 2009-03-01 16:00:05.
03/01/2009 03:48:53 PM · #90
:-(
Unfortunately the dates and entries you chose did not become available to you in our lottery application process......
03/01/2009 04:21:34 PM · #91
I got the unfortuately letter, too.

Becky
03/01/2009 04:30:42 PM · #92
I guess that's all 3 of us out....time to formulate a plan B
03/01/2009 04:31:20 PM · #93
Originally posted by Artifacts:

With all the talk of "The Wave" and the difficulty of getting permits to it, there is another incredible geologic photo opportunity in that area called "The Rimrocks" by the BLM that requires no permits at all.

The Rimrocks, often called "The Toadstools" by common folks like me, is about 20 miles west of Page, Arizona and a short hike off Highway 89. It is just a few miles past the turnoff to "The Wave" when driving from Kanab and on the north side of the highway. It is a cluster of delicate hoodoos found mostly within an eroded alcove below a cliff. They are not visible from the highway.

You can see pictures here:
Paria Rimrocks Photos

You can learn more about it including how to find The Rimrocks here:
The Paria Rimrocks

It is a south facing and probably best photographed at sunrise. Unfortunately, my pictures were taken in the afternoon. :(
03/01/2009 04:49:24 PM · #94
That was just one of the many places to see and photograph. I got us 6 permits to the other side of Coyote Butte for Monday, June 15th. It requires more exploring and a longer drive, but should be terrific.

I think that for 1 day we ought to go to:
Horseshoe Bend
Antelope Canyon and the Page area,

Another day,
Paria Rimrock at sun up,
Buckskin Gulch - part way

Another day,
Kanab area and Zion's NP

etc.

03/01/2009 05:06:49 PM · #95
Sounds good Becky. Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend sound like morning also.

I plan to go down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon also since I have only been to the south rim but can fill that in any day.
03/01/2009 05:09:29 PM · #96
Originally posted by jbsmithana:

Sounds good Becky. Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend sound like morning also.

I plan to go down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon also since I have only been to the south rim but can fill that in any day.


That makes a good day/morning/afternoon trip.
03/01/2009 05:15:59 PM · #97
Originally posted by rjkstesch:

Originally posted by jbsmithana:

Sounds good Becky. Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend sound like morning also.

I plan to go down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon also since I have only been to the south rim but can fill that in any day.


That makes a good day/morning/afternoon trip.


Are you saying that the North Rim will be an all dayer? There is also Bryce. I went throught there a couple of years ago but did not get a chance to hike any of it.
03/01/2009 05:24:53 PM · #98
Unless we hike or mule ride, etc. North Rim doesn't need to be all day trip, but would take over 1/2 day. So, either morning to mid-day or mid-day to evening.

I love the idea of going to Bryce too.

I've found some unusual slot canyons near Kanab, too.
03/01/2009 05:29:07 PM · #99
Originally posted by rjkstesch:

Unless we hike or mule ride, etc. North Rim doesn't need to be all day trip, but would take over 1/2 day. So, either morning to mid-day or mid-day to evening.

I love the idea of going to Bryce too.

I've found some unusual slot canyons near Kanab, too.


Thanks for the info on North Rim timeframe. Slot Canyons, yeah!
03/01/2009 05:48:25 PM · #100
Travel times and possible combinations:

Bryce Canyon National Park - 1hr 15 min. - Wonderful early morning and late afternoon
Cedar Breaks National Monument - 1hr 15 min. - Small and could be included w/ Bryce

Grand Canyon National Park - 1 hr 30 min. - About 2/3 of a day trip

Grand Staircase National Monument - 20 min. (the Wave and Paria are here), the Rimrocks, Buckskin Gulch Slot Canyon and the other end of Coyote Butte (lots of hiking and exploring) - we have 6 permits for Monday, June 15 for this end.

Glen Canyon (Lake Powell) NRA - 1 hour - Lake Powell, some slot canyons,
Page, Arizona - 1 hr 30 min. - Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend

Zion National Park - 30 min. - Some terrific shooting with early, mid-day and late afternoon shots. Could be included with some Kanab area shooting.

We can add the other suggested shoots in this, just making sure the timing is right.

That's 5 days or more of intensive shooting.

Pages:  
Current Server Time: 04/09/2020 07:32:26 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 04/09/2020 07:32:26 AM EDT.