DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Bokeh V scores
Pages:   ...
Showing posts 226 - 250 of 352, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/19/2008 03:58:52 AM · #226
Originally posted by CarlvanHeerden:

As I told above - the biggest turnaround for me came one day when a pro told me to my face that my photos are crap. It stunned me and it opened my eyes. I am better off now.


Actually, he gave you a lot of feedback and advice. Would you still think the same if he said "1" and then walked off without further comment?
12/19/2008 04:19:31 AM · #227
Of course it would not have meant the same. But he did not owe it to me. It would have made me look at myself though. The process would definitely been harder and I was lucky that day. So some-one comments, consider yourself lucky. Don't fret about the ones that don't comment. They owe you nothing.
12/19/2008 04:38:02 AM · #228
CarlvanHeerden: I agree with everything you said. Thanks for your insightful and positive comments. Really.

It's definitely given me something to think about and take on board.

Message edited by author 2008-12-19 04:40:05.
12/19/2008 04:44:15 AM · #229
Originally posted by Rainbow-Coloured-Soul:

CarlvanHeerden: I agree with everything you said. Thanks for your insightful and positive comments. Really.

It's definitely given me something to think about and take on board.


Now THAT was a nice comment. Thanks.
12/19/2008 04:49:15 AM · #230
1

;)
12/19/2008 04:59:57 AM · #231
Originally posted by mikeee:

1

;)


LOL! You made me choke on my beer!
12/19/2008 05:10:32 AM · #232
Originally posted by CarlvanHeerden:

Originally posted by Rainbow-Coloured-Soul:

CarlvanHeerden: I agree with everything you said. Thanks for your insightful and positive comments. Really.

It's definitely given me something to think about and take on board.


Now THAT was a nice comment. Thanks.


Well, I do try to give feedback ;)

But seriously. I was nodding in agreement!
12/19/2008 05:36:39 AM · #233
Anyway, back on thread

Votes: 122
Average: 6.1148
Faves: 0
Comments: 5 (4% of voters)

I can't see the score changing much from now on.
12/19/2008 06:41:00 AM · #234
Went down a little.

Votes: 124
Views: 184
Avg Vote: 6.1129
Comments: 15
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
12/19/2008 07:21:29 AM · #235
Originally posted by mindbottling:

Originally posted by jhomrighaus:

I just wish more of them would actually make comments on other than just the great photos.


Exactly

I can get told "Oof" or "nice photo," but am I really learning from that? Am I supposed to be learning to take photos of water droplets (or Christmas ornaments) instead of what I choose as my subject? There are other sites where I participate that offer far more constructive comments than anything I have received here.

Perhaps what I have learned from the most is commenting on others' images. But I don't need to enter my own to do that nor do I need to pay $25.

Anyways, I'm not gone yet but one last *grumble*

Now I'm done whining.


Maybe when you are being told again and again that your object is out of focus and you should use a better one people may be right and you should fix those things. I think every comment that contain critics is helpful. If you prefer other sites than DPC, i really can't understand why are you still participating the challenges and threads. I'm not trying to ofend you, but i think your post doesn't make sense, since you are participating challenges and threads now.
12/19/2008 07:23:11 AM · #236
Votes: 113
Views: 174
Avg Vote: 4.5398
Comments: 3
Favorites: 0

I received 3 good comments.
12/19/2008 07:24:14 AM · #237
Votes:118
Views:159
Avg Vote:4.6441
Comments:0

I actually like this score... My computer didn't seem to work while I was editing... It didn't save anything after editing and so there is a little bit of blahness to mine...(colors for example)

But no comments is whats making me laugh... Ive read through this and see people with 6 and 7 comments... Hmm...
12/19/2008 07:44:49 AM · #238
Originally posted by mindbottling:


I can get told "Oof" or "nice photo," but am I really learning from that? Am I supposed to be learning to take photos of water droplets (or Christmas ornaments) instead of what I choose as my subject? There are other sites where I participate that offer far more constructive comments than anything I have received here.


I guess I'd make two comment on judging "standard shots" (water drops or Christmas ornaments in this instance)
1. Not everyone (newbies in particular) has done these shots before, so it is a new shot to them.
2. Guessing which shots will be overdone in a challenge and trying to avoid them is a pretty inexact science if you ask me.

Scoring a tiny fraction above 5 at the moment. Was at 4.3 after 50 votes (shakes head at how this place works sometimes -- maybe we need a bigger rock)

12/19/2008 08:51:42 AM · #239
Votes: 118
Views: 186
Avg Vote: 6.0508
Comments: 8
Favorites: 2
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 12/19/08 08:51 am
12/19/2008 09:13:56 AM · #240
Originally posted by jhomrighaus:

(Bokeh) is about the interaction between the background and the foreground, does the background reinforce the message the photographer was trying to send? Does it create drama or interest in the subject? Does the OOF area of the photo draw the viewer deeper into the photo?

It is not about the pattern or the shape or the distance to the background at all as some have implied A good use of Bokeh could just be something slightly out of focus just behind the main subject, it is about the way the subject and the OOF background(or foreground thought this is less common) interact with one another. Think harmony or fung-shei or those kinds of thoughts, it is an abstract concept about harmony, tension or dynamic interaction of the entire image.

These things describe the USE of Bokeh. there is a secondary consideration which is the quality of Bokeh which has to do with the way the lens renders the OOF areas of the image, is it Creamy smooth with soft even transisions or is it harsh and uneven. This is the QUALITY of Bokeh which in my opinion is a secondary consideration to the USE of Bokeh.

Now where did I leave my beer?

I think you've had enough beer.
12/19/2008 09:49:33 AM · #241
You have rated 107 of 215 images (50%) in this challenge.
You have commented on 107 images (50%) in this challenge.

Ok...half way...
But i don't know if i'm going to continue with my comments..i'm starting to feel guilty or insecure about beeing a newcomer and comment all the photos...Ok..i'm beeing dramatic..but sometimes my comments can be wrong, if that exists.

Votes: 114
Views: 176
Avg Vote: 4.5175
Comments: 4
Favorites: 0

12/19/2008 09:52:15 AM · #242
Originally posted by jhomrighaus:

Originally posted by citymars:

Originally posted by basssman7:

I think far to many people here have heard about "little points of light" which really has nothing at all to do with bokeh. Bokeh can have them, or not, they are not the definition of bokeh. sigh.

I thought a bokeh effect was a "pattern" in the background (or foreground) of a photo with a shallow DOF. If it's not that, what is it? If it's just shallow DOF, why have a special name for it?


It is about the interaction between the background and the foreground, does the background reinforce the message the photographer was trying to send? Does it create drama or interest in the subject? Does the OOF area of the photo draw the viewer deeper into the photo?

It is not about the pattern or the shape or the distance to the background at all as some have implied A good use of Bokeh could just be something slightly out of focus just behind the main subject, it is about the way the subject and the OOF background(or foreground thought this is less common) interact with one another. Think harmony or fung-shei or those kinds of thoughts, it is an abstract concept about harmony, tension or dynamic interaction of the entire image.

These things describe the USE of Bokeh. there is a secondary consideration which is the quality of Bokeh which has to do with the way the lens renders the OOF areas of the image, is it Creamy smooth with soft even transisions or is it harsh and uneven. This is the QUALITY of Bokeh which in my opinion is a secondary consideration to the USE of Bokeh.

Now where did I leave my beer?

TY someone who understands Bokeh, as I am getting a 4 and the only and I mean only comment I got was it was an oof background read this link sayig how to measure the effect as refrence to points of light or rings of light.
if you look carefully at my photo I have 3 objects 1 subject and the other 2 1 is in fore ground and other background only subject is in focus the OOF effect on other 2 is very well defined and smooth....reminds me of why I hate this site
12/19/2008 10:08:39 AM · #243
Originally posted by nemesise1977:


TY someone who understands Bokeh, as I am getting a 4 and the only and I mean only comment I got was it was an oof background read this link sayig how to measure the effect as refrence to points of light or rings of light.
if you look carefully at my photo I have 3 objects 1 subject and the other 2 1 is in fore ground and other background only subject is in focus the OOF effect on other 2 is very well defined and smooth....reminds me of why I hate this site


Yep..i knew this points of light were going to be a problem to some voters. I thought bokeh was all about circles of light before some explanations and articles.
12/19/2008 10:30:47 AM · #244
Hi Pedro thanks for your comments .. much appreciated.
12/19/2008 10:51:53 AM · #245
Originally posted by nemesise1977:

...reminds me of why I hate this site

Then why are you here?

I don't appreciate your negativity toward the voters (of which I am one). If your entry isn't scoring as well as you'd like, it's your own fault, not the voters'. I mean come on, people. This is Bokeh V. If you haven't figured out by now that what bokeh actually means has no relevance to your score, then bitching about it after the fact isn't going to help. We're playing a game here. Just like any other game you have to know what it takes to win. If you want a high score, give the voters what they want. Again, if they're too stupid to know the real definition of bokeh (according to you), then give them a photo with their definition of bokeh. Better yet, give them a photo with everyone's definition of bokeh all at once!
12/19/2008 10:59:45 AM · #246
Originally posted by freakin_hilarious:

Originally posted by nemesise1977:

...reminds me of why I hate this site

Then why are you here?

I don't appreciate your negativity toward the voters (of which I am one). If your entry isn't scoring as well as you'd like, it's your own fault, not the voters'. I mean come on, people. This is Bokeh V. If you haven't figured out by now that what bokeh actually means has no relevance to your score, then bitching about it after the fact isn't going to help. We're playing a game here. Just like any other game you have to know what it takes to win. If you want a high score, give the voters what they want. Again, if they're too stupid to know the real definition of bokeh (according to you), then give them a photo with their definition of bokeh. Better yet, give them a photo with everyone's definition of bokeh all at once!


Lol sorry that comment was a bit harsh, just frustrated. it isnt because of the low score is the fact I have 1 and exactly one comment and it illistrated the fact the person has a very limited understanding of the subject
12/19/2008 11:08:27 AM · #247
It's all good. I can understand the frustration. I remember what that used to be like 170 challenges ago. :)
12/19/2008 11:27:12 AM · #248
Votes: 137
Views: 212
Avg Vote: 6.4088
Comments: 8

Thank you pedrobop for a nice and meaningful comment. :)
12/19/2008 11:29:15 AM · #249
I'm amazed that it's actually climbing a little. Still in brown territory, however. Having fun with this one. Pass another slice of pizza this way, please.

Votes: 128
Views: 215
Avg Vote: 3.4141
Comments: 13
12/19/2008 11:33:10 AM · #250
Originally posted by pedrobop:

You have rated 107 of 215 images (50%) in this challenge.
You have commented on 107 images (50%) in this challenge.

Ok...half way...
But i don't know if i'm going to continue with my comments..i'm starting to feel guilty or insecure about beeing a newcomer and comment all the photos...Ok..i'm beeing dramatic..but sometimes my comments can be wrong, if that exists.

Votes: 114
Views: 176
Avg Vote: 4.5175
Comments: 4
Favorites: 0


Your comments as long as they are put forth as being your "opinion" are just that. They can never be wrong because you are just voicing your own opinion on the photo. :) Keep going, it is appreciated. :)
Pages:   ...
Current Server Time: 12/07/2019 10:04:06 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/07/2019 10:04:06 AM EST.