DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Photoshop - how do people afford it?
Pages:  
Showing posts 76 - 100 of 190, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/01/2008 12:38:54 PM · #76
My wife is an educator, so I can get lightroom for $99 but haven't yet (using Extensis Portfolio/ PSCS3). I've been giving Adobe $150-200 every few years since I bought PS 3.0 using my education discount in the mid 90s for about $200. I usually try to skip versions to save $$, but CS4 has a few features I really want, so I'm saving again.
12/01/2008 12:59:34 PM · #77
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Originally posted by yospiff:

<snip> I got a good deal on a copy of CS2 a week ago. I bought a used G4 Mac Mini for my wife, and it came with licensed copies of CS2, Office for Mac and a 17" monitor for $450. Try keeping an eye on Craigs List, which is how I ran across that deal.


Originally posted by Ristyz:

Did they transfer the license to you? If not, it doesn't count.

That copy is paid for......I don't see an issue with that. It's not like he was deliberately selling PS off of a disc.....it went with a used computer.

I have a problem with software people and the one-shot deal.

If I pay for an issue of software, and I'm not copying it and selling it, I'll do whatever I damn well please with the computer when I'm done with it....it's MINE!


I agree you own the computer but not the software, you don't actually own any software, you are purchasing the rights to use the software and that's it. Some software is tied to the machine and some to the user depending on the EULA. Most of the Adobe line is tied to the user or company that originally purchased/registered which ever the case may be and in most cases Adobe will let you transfer the license with little trouble, usually just a letter from the current registered user is sufficient.

-dave
12/01/2008 01:17:08 PM · #78
Originally posted by dknourek:

I agree you own the computer but not the software, you don't actually own any software, you are purchasing the rights to use the software and that's it. Some software is tied to the machine and some to the user depending on the EULA. Most of the Adobe line is tied to the user or company that originally purchased/registered which ever the case may be and in most cases Adobe will let you transfer the license with little trouble, usually just a letter from the current registered user is sufficient.

-dave


It is something of an open question of EULAs are even legal or enforceable.
12/01/2008 02:45:47 PM · #79
Originally posted by dknourek:

I agree you own the computer but not the software, you don't actually own any software, you are purchasing the rights to use the software and that's it. Some software is tied to the machine and some to the user depending on the EULA. Most of the Adobe line is tied to the user or company that originally purchased/registered which ever the case may be and in most cases Adobe will let you transfer the license with little trouble, usually just a letter from the current registered user is sufficient.

-dave


Originally posted by Gordon:

It is something of an open question of EULAs are even legal or enforceable.

Yeah, it would probably fall under the same sort of thing as passing on books, records, or movies.....if you're selling your personal belongings, fine, just don't be copying and making money from someone else's work.

That'd be for a different forum to argue.....8>)
12/01/2008 02:49:26 PM · #80
Originally posted by NikonJeb:


Yeah, it would probably fall under the same sort of thing as passing on books, records, or movies


You mean, how passing on books, records and movies used to be, before the companies had the means to stop you doing it.
That's my main issue with DRM, all the fair use and reasonable sharing has gone away, other than via nefarious means.
12/01/2008 03:09:03 PM · #81
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Yeah, it would probably fall under the same sort of thing as passing on books, records, or movies

Originally posted by Gordon:

You mean, how passing on books, records and movies used to be, before the companies had the means to stop you doing it.


Yeah...that.....the good ol' days.

To me that's the biggest issue with the American judicial system.

Any idiot can file a lawsuit against anyone else, and there's no repercussions if he loses.

So a record company, software company, or publisher can just run someone out of money to win a lawsuit against Joe Average for the most insignificant issue.

Originally posted by Gordon:

That's my main issue with DRM, all the fair use and reasonable sharing has gone away, other than via nefarious means.

Sigh.......yeah.....
12/01/2008 03:31:45 PM · #82
i buy all my software, but as a result must steal all of my bodies and lenses from local camera shops. the hardest thing to do is think up something obscure enough to keep them searching around in the back so I can get into the cases.
12/01/2008 03:38:33 PM · #83
Originally posted by Thaddeus_Smith:

i buy all my software, but as a result must steal all of my bodies and lenses from local camera shops. the hardest thing to do is think up something obscure enough to keep them searching around in the back so I can get into the cases.


So D'uh . . steal one of the assistants as well so he can carry the stuff for you . .

:- )
12/01/2008 03:58:45 PM · #84
So, maybe this is dishonest (is it?), but this is what I did a long time ago when I first bought PS (from memory, so forgive me if a couple of details are off, but you'll get the idea). I think the version that was out at the time was 7.0 (the one before CS) and I remember it being roughly the same price as it is now (around $600 or $700--expensive, in other words). I read that you could buy the upgrade for a lot less (again, as it is now) and that you could upgrade from a couple versions before. So...I bought the oldest version that you could upgrade (which I think was 5.0) from someone who didn't use it anymore for less than $100, then paid for the upgrade. Ended up with the newest version, for less than half the price of the new one, and as far as I know, I didn't break any laws while doing it.
12/01/2008 04:40:39 PM · #85
As long as the other person deleted it from their computer.

Originally posted by commendatori:

So, maybe this is dishonest (is it?), but this is what I did a long time ago when I first bought PS (from memory, so forgive me if a couple of details are off, but you'll get the idea). I think the version that was out at the time was 7.0 (the one before CS) and I remember it being roughly the same price as it is now (around $600 or $700--expensive, in other words). I read that you could buy the upgrade for a lot less (again, as it is now) and that you could upgrade from a couple versions before. So...I bought the oldest version that you could upgrade (which I think was 5.0) from someone who didn't use it anymore for less than $100, then paid for the upgrade. Ended up with the newest version, for less than half the price of the new one, and as far as I know, I didn't break any laws while doing it.
12/01/2008 04:40:48 PM · #86
Nice idea. Doesn't sound dishonest to me.
12/01/2008 04:48:23 PM · #87
Originally posted by Lonni:

Nice idea. Doesn't sound dishonest to me.

Can't you upgrade from Elements?
12/01/2008 05:11:39 PM · #88
Yeah, I think so, but it wouldn't be the straight upgrade price, so I don't think it would work out cheaper.
12/01/2008 06:00:48 PM · #89
I have a feeling a lott many people share single user licenses.. perhaps more than I expected;-)

Message edited by author 2008-12-01 18:00:58.
12/01/2008 06:14:52 PM · #90
Originally posted by Gordon:

That's my main issue with DRM, all the fair use and reasonable sharing has gone away, other than via nefarious means.

You might be interested in this discussion:

Originally posted by KQED Forum Program:

Making Art and Culture Thrive in the Hybrid Economy
Stanford law professor Lawrence Lessig believes heavy-handed enforcement of intellectual property rights may quash creativity and innovation. He joins us to discuss his new book, "Remix: Making Art and Culture in the Hybrid Economy."
12/01/2008 06:21:27 PM · #91
This is my path:
Photoshop CS2 Academic, upgraded to CS2 Creative Suite Standard Professional (cost a bit but cheaper than full price), skipped CS3, upgraded to CS4 Creative Suite Standard with a cross platform change as well PC to MAC ($465USD), and I will probably add on Dreamweaver when I can or need to.

Here is the rub. AND IT STINKS! I use InDesign for my course. At college they have CS3 and all this year I had CS2 at home, couldn't afford to upgrade. InDesign is not backwards compatible with earlier versions. All work done at college was not transferable to my home computer. So it kind of doubled up my work load at times. End of year is here, I have a little spare cash and upgrade. Now I have CS4 at home which is great but I can't use it at college. I still have CS2 on a separate computer (PC I can use my software on lots of machines apparently, Adobe told me so.) so I continue to use that for my assignments for college. But sometimes I forget what I'm dong... recently I was checking a 7 page assignment on my MAC machine (CS4) (preflight which checks everything is in order) and hit save automatically. I get to college and can't open my files for printing because of that moment of inattention and hitting save in CS4. AAARGH this is the last night of my course. So it's a long drive home and back to fix the job. I could have the same problem with clients as many designers do already.

How on earth can Adobe do that? At least with Illustrator there is the option to save in earlier versions or eps. I love their products but this is stupid, stupid, stupid. That'll teach me to skip a version...
12/01/2008 06:21:28 PM · #92
The cheapest way to do it, with the added bonus of learning a lot as you go, is to enrol at a college of some kind, get the student card, and buy CS3 suite for peanuts. I believe the full version costs AUS $1300, but with a student card you can get it for around $240 (including indesign, illustrator, etc etc). Lightroom is the same - as a student you can pick it up for AUS$120 instead of AUS$800. If you have access to a good evening college or part time course, do it, you'll learn a lot (advanced computer graphics teaches you everything you need to know about CS3) and you'll save heaps, even when considering the cost of the part time course. I guess it depends on what you have available in your town, but most towns and cities have very accessible colleges that do give student cards.
12/02/2008 12:17:12 PM · #93
Adobe pricing isn't too bad if you get a suite. So if you need Dreamweaver or Indesign, you can get a number of titles for a reasonable price. Note that you can upgrade to a suite and get credit for PS or some other single Adobe product that is contained in the suite.

Its when you have to buy one item that Adobe looks expensive.
12/02/2008 01:00:33 PM · #94
So how much would it cost to upgrade from 7.0 to CS4?
12/02/2008 01:08:35 PM · #95
Originally posted by bvy:

So how much would it cost to upgrade from 7.0 to CS4?


You might have to call them on that one... they only have a listing back to CS for upgrades
12/05/2008 07:36:27 PM · #96
so not to steal the thread or anything, but is it illegal to "trade" actions? never really thought about that before ..just wondering..

Message edited by author 2008-12-13 16:46:57.
12/13/2008 04:49:54 PM · #97
bump
12/13/2008 05:06:19 PM · #98
i am a teacher...my wife is getting me the new version with our educators discount for christmas. CS4 for only 299!! woot

:D
12/13/2008 05:09:04 PM · #99
Originally posted by Photomom1981:

so not to steal the thread or anything, but is it illegal to "trade" actions? never really thought about that before ..just wondering..


I am no expert. but unless it is a specific action that you have to buy...I would say no. Most of my actions come out of Steve Kirby's books and just help get smaller things done very quickly.
12/13/2008 05:26:36 PM · #100
just placed the order for CS4 Extended. oh yeah! :0)

Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/16/2019 05:10:48 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/16/2019 05:10:48 PM EST.