DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Tips, Tricks, and Q&A >> It''s not the size of the CCD...
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 10 of 10, (reverse)
AuthorThread
06/20/2002 01:41:14 PM · #1
Hey all,

It seems the topic comes up time and again of whether more spohisticated cameras are more likely to place in challenges. To that end, I put together the following data taken from the first 14 challenges.

The following is broken down by number of effective pixels, number of photographers to place, and number of photographs to place:

1 to 1.5 mpix: 2 photographers, 2 image
1.5 to 2 mpix: 10 photographers, 13 images
2 to 2.5 mpix: 1 photographer, 1 image
2.5 to 3 mpix: 2 photographers, 2 images
3 to 3.5 mpix: 8 photographers, 12 images
3.5 to 4 mpix: 6 photographers, 9 images
Over 4 mpix: 2 photographers, 3 images

There are the numbers, I think they speak for themselves.

-Terry
06/20/2002 02:24:34 PM · #2
Although a high-end camera will help take amazing quality images, it wont help the photographer compose a winning photograph. Itís only a tool, but if you have the vision and the equipment... then watch out. Maybe one day that will be me.


06/20/2002 03:03:17 PM · #3
Originally posted by ezns:
Although a high-end camera will help take amazing quality images, it wont help the photographer compose a winning photograph. Itís only a tool, but if you have the vision and the equipment... then watch out. Maybe one day that will be me.


My thoughts exactly, and I'm glad to see the numbers support it.

-Terry
06/20/2002 04:33:28 PM · #4
I think what this really shows is that those that are serious about photography have serious equipment.

I have a friend that bought a $170 1.7MP camera at Wal-Mart that takes great pictures. Most of these cameras will take very nice photos for web posting, but the people that are serious about photography want a camera they can make great prints from.
06/20/2002 05:18:50 PM · #5
Originally posted by Zeissman:
I think what this really shows is that those that are serious about photography have serious equipment.

I don't follow. What is serious equipment? Almost 40% of the photographers who have won have cameras with 2 MP or less, and about half have 3 MP or less.
06/20/2002 05:31:30 PM · #6
These numbers are little more than proof of possibility without the number of photographers and submissions at each range of resolution to accompany them. More useful would be percentage of photographers to place using X mpix cameras, and percentage of images to place taken with X mpix cameras.
06/20/2002 05:56:21 PM · #7
The ratio of wins per camera is 50% better for the top end cameras. 3:2 for highend (3+), and about 1:1 for the low end.


* This message has been edited by the author on 6/20/2002 5:56:19 PM.


* This message has been edited by the author on 6/20/2002 5:58:16 PM.
06/20/2002 06:00:45 PM · #8
Was that in reply to me? If so, those aren't the ratios I was talking about.

Originally posted by Zeissman:
The ratio of wins per camera is 50% better for the top end cameras. 3:2 for highend (3+), and about 1:1 for the low end.



06/20/2002 06:27:31 PM · #9
First of all, I agree that a good photographer can create pretty good photos on just about any camera. But secondly, there is simply more photographers in this challenge that are using average cameras so, of course there are going to be lots of winning enteries using those average cameras. What is so great about this site, though, is that it isn't a competition about resolution. Having to post our images at 640x480 helps to keep the focus on the photos themselves. A great picture is a great picture regardless of it's potential print size.

Tim
06/20/2002 07:42:57 PM · #10
That is kind of what I was trying to say in my first post.

But I also think that those that take photography seriously are more likely to have newer cameras, that can compete with film for prints, and they would be somewhat more likely to win or place in the top.

Of course, I have a 4MP camera, so I am drapping this group down.

Originally posted by timj351:
First of all, I agree that a good photographer can create pretty good photos on just about any camera. But secondly, there is simply more photographers in this challenge that are using average cameras so, of course there are going to be lots of winning enteries using those average cameras. What is so great about this site, though, is that it isn''t a competition about resolution. Having to post our images at 640x480 helps to keep the focus on the photos themselves. A great picture is a great picture regardless of it''s potential print size.

Tim





* This message has been edited by the author on 6/20/2002 7:44:48 PM.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 06/24/2019 09:46:52 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 06/24/2019 09:46:52 PM EDT.