DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> Remove My Tutorials
Pages:   ...
Showing posts 101 - 125 of 318, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/19/2004 02:41:27 AM · #101
Originally posted by darcy:

do i have to start throwing the word "lame" around again?

toocool, your name says it all.

moodville, its comments like the one you just made that give me grief, because its all based on some short-term trend and a fear that leads to assumption.


Whereas your assumption that it is short-term based on, what, hope? is perfectly ok?

Originally posted by darcy:

and mood, your last paragraph almost defies recourse. no one is downloading hot babes off the internet or building window frames in 3D. yes, a knife was created in a paint program - but that kind of painstaking labor will never become the norm here because no amount of piwel-based ribbons could ever be worth the amount of work you'd have to put into creating such things from digital scratch every week - let alone stuff that looks good enough to win.

try and keep a handle on the paranoia, gang. producing such irrational suspicions can't be good for your health.


The first place picture in the windows challenge explains in his details how he created his fake window frame. The second place photograph, who has since removed his details, explained how he found a picture of a model on the internet and placed her on his couch before adding the fake shadows and heel impression. So yes, people are doing such things. It also depends on what you class as the 'norm'. Will everyone be doing it? No. Will more people do it if it's deemed legal, which it has been so far? Yes. The past has shown that a lot of people have gone to great lengths to obtain a virtual ribbon whether that be traveling 500+ miles for a shot, spending 5+ hours on PS work, buying a lot of money's worth of props etc etc. You seem to fail to understand the desire of some people to win.
04/19/2004 02:41:51 AM · #102
Originally posted by Koriyama:

Originally posted by Pedro:

Originally posted by darcy:

and mood, your last paragraph almost defies recourse. no one is downloading hot babes off the internet or building window frames in 3D.


uh...actually, yes they are. :)

Damn, beaten by 13 seconds and a faster wit.


must have been the Canadian exchange rate. The yen is a little slow today.
04/19/2004 02:46:19 AM · #103
lol - anyone got any ketchup? my hat tastes a little dry... ;)

ok, so here we have two winners that are both known for their photoshop ability. why labuda has removed the details of the photographing/photshoping process this time around is beyond me, but its unfortunate.

anyway, i still stand by the spirit of my post, which is to give this some time and to try to keep calm while we wait and see.

lamely yours,

darcy
04/19/2004 02:48:39 AM · #104
I agree this site is going into the wrong direction. My main reason for joining was the emphasis on achieving things photographically.

And your tutorials show people that it is possible to achieve great images without heavy editing.

I personally think removing the tutorials only would encourage people to do more editing. If they are not stimulated to think how things can be achieved photographically they will more and more resort to editing.
04/19/2004 02:51:40 AM · #105
sorry mood, bad wording on my part.

by short-term, i meant that the heavy-edited winning has only been happening for a short while. its too soon, imho, to say that this is now the norm.

its going on 4:30am where i live, in newfoundland, canada (where, in the island portion that i live on, time is a half hour off from all other zones), and i lose my effectiveness to make sense after 3!

goodnight all. i have faith that photography will still exist in the morning...
04/19/2004 02:55:42 AM · #106
the site went through a period like this when pictures started getting validated. there were a bunch of shots that did not meet the rules for one reason or another and were being dq'd left and right.

the addition of validating the top 5 is the reason we even know about these manipulated images at all.

this will just be another adjustment period, and soon you will see no "digital art".
04/19/2004 02:57:01 AM · #107
Originally posted by darcy:

sorry mood, bad wording on my part.

by short-term, i meant that the heavy-edited winning has only been happening for a short while. its too soon, imho, to say that this is now the norm.

its going on 4:30am where i live, in newfoundland, canada (where, in the island portion that i live on, time is a half hour off from all other zones), and i lose my effectiveness to make sense after 3!

goodnight all. i have faith that photography will still exist in the morning...


I'm not saying this is the norm, I'm saying that each week it has become progressively worse for the last three weeks. Yes, it is too early to tell how long this trend will continue, but I'd rather those people who want the site to be about photography be vocal now so that a decision can be made now rather than go silent and hope that people will just stop submitting digital art. I do believe, just from my observation of human nature, that if people see digital art winning ribbons that they will attempt to use the same methods to try and win ribbons.
04/19/2004 03:04:30 AM · #108
setzler
any chance the percentile of your last 5 challenges have anything to do with your current unhappyness on DPC?

Message edited by author 2004-04-19 03:06:25.
04/19/2004 03:06:09 AM · #109
Originally posted by MadMordegon:

setzler
any chance the percentile of your last 5 challenges, being much lower than your past scores, have anything to do with your current unhappyness on DPC?


No. I submitted shots that I knew would not perform well intentionally. Some of those don't even come close to meeting the challenge.

04/19/2004 03:08:18 AM · #110
Originally posted by jmsetzler:

Originally posted by MadMordegon:

setzler
any chance the percentile of your last 5 challenges, being much lower than your past scores, have anything to do with your current unhappyness on DPC?


No. I submitted shots that I knew would not perform well intentionally. Some of those don't even come close to meeting the challenge.


why would you do that?
04/19/2004 03:09:21 AM · #111
Originally posted by MadMordegon:

Originally posted by jmsetzler:

Originally posted by MadMordegon:

setzler
any chance the percentile of your last 5 challenges, being much lower than your past scores, have anything to do with your current unhappyness on DPC?


No. I submitted shots that I knew would not perform well intentionally. Some of those don't even come close to meeting the challenge.


why would you do that?


For simple lack of inspiration. I don't care much about scores.
04/19/2004 03:13:00 AM · #112
Originally posted by moodville:

I'm not saying this is the norm, I'm saying that each week it has become progressively worse for the last three weeks. Yes, it is too early to tell how long this trend will continue, but I'd rather those people who want the site to be about photography be vocal now so that a decision can be made now rather than go silent and hope that people will just stop submitting digital art. I do believe, just from my observation of human nature, that if people see digital art winning ribbons that they will attempt to use the same methods to try and win ribbons.


My feeling is that a lot of members want this site to be one that puts heavy emphasis on photgraphic skills to uphold photographic integrity as opposed to photo manipulation techniques in digital art. I think we need to put a lid on it and do it quickly to restore order on the site and make it more fun just like before. I'm all for Photoshop manipulation if it only involves dodging/burning/cloning unwated spots. Anything more than that is leaning towards digital art, especially if you're adding new elements to the photo. That's pushing it.
04/19/2004 03:14:09 AM · #113
Originally posted by jmsetzler:

Originally posted by MadMordegon:

Originally posted by jmsetzler:

Originally posted by MadMordegon:

setzler
any chance the percentile of your last 5 challenges, being much lower than your past scores, have anything to do with your current unhappyness on DPC?


No. I submitted shots that I knew would not perform well intentionally. Some of those don't even come close to meeting the challenge.


why would you do that?


For simple lack of inspiration. I don't care much about scores.


Isnt purposefully entering photographs that have nothing to do with the challenge detrimental to the direction of the site as well? If the purpose of the site is for people to take photographs that meet a weekly theme and everyone started posting photographs because they wanted to or because they didnt care then the weekly theme would collapse. Just like introducing digital art into a photography site. You are going away from the initial intention.
04/19/2004 03:16:22 AM · #114
Originally posted by moodville:


Isnt purposefully entering photographs that have nothing to do with the challenge detrimental to the direction of the site as well? If the purpose of the site is for people to take photographs that meet a weekly theme and everyone started posting photographs because they wanted to or because they didnt care then the weekly theme would collapse. Just like introducing digital art into a photography site. You are going away from the initial intention.


Yes. That's why I quit doing it.
04/19/2004 03:17:37 AM · #115
By the way everyone, a new set of advanced rules have been written, we are just finalizing them to make sure no digital art can slip through in the future, whilst still keeping the editing as open as possible. For those who've shown any, thanks for your patience.
04/19/2004 03:17:56 AM · #116
just to let you know setzler, your "exposure" PDF has helped me alot in my photography. thanks
04/19/2004 03:20:12 AM · #117
Originally posted by MadMordegon:

just to let you know setzler, your "exposure" PDF has helped me alot in my photography. thanks


I have an updated version of it that fixes some errors and typos that never found its way onto this site. I will make it availabe to you if you are interested in it.
04/19/2004 03:20:18 AM · #118
Bottom line:
Photography - created with the camera
Digital art - created with a computer

ps....John, did you get my postcard? It was a photograph of a squirrel.
04/19/2004 03:20:55 AM · #119
Originally posted by TommyMoe21:

Bottom line:
Photography - created with the camera
Digital art - created with a computer

ps....John, did you get my postcard? It was a photograph of a squirrel.


It's probalby in my mailbox. I havne't checked it this week yet.. i'll get it tomorrow :)
04/19/2004 03:22:50 AM · #120
I told you so !
04/19/2004 03:27:33 AM · #121
Originally posted by Konador:

By the way everyone, a new set of advanced rules have been written, we are just finalizing them to make sure no digital art can slip through in the future, whilst still keeping the editing as open as possible. For those who've shown any, thanks for your patience.


That's good news Ben, thanks. But if we are really going to keep the DA out I think it will take a new willingness on the part of the SC to enforce the spirit and intent, and not get hung up on the fine points of the letter of the law. You will have everyone's support if you show that.
04/19/2004 03:32:28 AM · #122
Originally posted by MadMordegon:

setzler
any chance the percentile of your last 5 challenges have anything to do with your current unhappyness on DPC?


That was a cheap shot. You need to eat some soap.
04/19/2004 03:34:27 AM · #123
My comment on Labuda's photo:

Here says location"my bedroom"?
The red roofs on those houses look like a post card from Italy or Spain,Montreal homes are using shingles,not red bricks!And the greenery,kind of too early for Canada?
The whole photo looks fake and if it realy is you should be banned from the site!
04/19/2004 03:39:01 AM · #124
Originally posted by Konador:

For those who've shown any, thanks for your patience.

This made me laugh out loud. Nicely phrased.
04/19/2004 03:43:04 AM · #125
Originally posted by Konador:

By the way everyone, a new set of advanced rules have been written, we are just finalizing them to make sure no digital art can slip through in the future, whilst still keeping the editing as open as possible. For those who've shown any, thanks for your patience.


Does this mean I can cancel my latest order at Adobe and dust off my camera again?
Pages:   ...
Current Server Time: 08/02/2021 05:22:05 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 08/02/2021 05:22:05 AM EDT.