DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> WildlifeIV Scores thread
Pages:   ... ...
Showing posts 201 - 225 of 667, (reverse)
AuthorThread
10/20/2008 08:24:49 PM · #201
Just have to say, I went through a moment ago to look at everyone else's entries and I'm SO impressed with SO many of them. Considering where my shot currently is I'd bet there will be many high scores by the end of this week.

Votes: 88
Views: 158
Avg Vote: 6.5227
Comments: 7
Favorites: 1

And for the record, no zoo for me, but I did go to a wildlife preserve (so I suppose that's not truly wild by some accounts) ;)
10/20/2008 08:40:22 PM · #202
Votes: 86
Views: 169
Avg Vote: 6.5000
Comments: 9
Favorites: 0

Wahhooooo!!!!! I don't care if I don't ribbon, I'm just thrilled with how well the shot is doing, it's DEFINITELY going to be my new PB!!!
10/20/2008 08:54:35 PM · #203
Whinning about a Zoo shot? C'mon... try shooting something out of the box and get lambasted for it!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For editing this post Scalvert!!!!

Message edited by author 2008-10-26 01:45:18.
10/20/2008 08:55:26 PM · #204
Votes: 90
Views: 187
Avg Vote: 6.3667
Comments: 12
Favorites: 1

hangin in there pretty well, I really didn't expect this much out of this one, i liked the shot, but that usually doesn't translate to high scores. The 12 comments and the fav is a great addition as well.
10/20/2008 08:57:03 PM · #205
Originally posted by ryand:

Votes: 90
Views: 187
Avg Vote: 6.3667
Comments: 12
Favorites: 1

hangin in there pretty well, I really didn't expect this much out of this one, i liked the shot, but that usually doesn't translate to high scores. The 12 comments and the fav is a great addition as well.


Votes: 91
Views: 178
Avg Vote: 6.4286
Comments: 5

I'll trade you 0.0619 in score for 7 of your comments and your fav.
10/20/2008 09:12:49 PM · #206
Votes: 88
Views: 176
Avg Vote: 6.5227
Comments: 9
Favorites: 0
10/20/2008 09:21:47 PM · #207
:)
10/20/2008 09:47:50 PM · #208
Originally posted by K10DGuy:

Originally posted by ryand:

Votes: 90
Views: 187
Avg Vote: 6.3667
Comments: 12
Favorites: 1

hangin in there pretty well, I really didn't expect this much out of this one, i liked the shot, but that usually doesn't translate to high scores. The 12 comments and the fav is a great addition as well.


Votes: 91
Views: 178
Avg Vote: 6.4286
Comments: 5

I'll trade you 0.0619 in score for 7 of your comments and your fav.


tell you what why don't we combine our scores, comments, and faves, we'll probably up there with ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' alexsaberi and ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' simms then, lol.

Message edited by author 2008-10-20 21:48:05.
10/20/2008 09:50:43 PM · #209
Originally posted by ryand:

Originally posted by K10DGuy:

Originally posted by ryand:

Votes: 90
Views: 187
Avg Vote: 6.3667
Comments: 12
Favorites: 1

hangin in there pretty well, I really didn't expect this much out of this one, i liked the shot, but that usually doesn't translate to high scores. The 12 comments and the fav is a great addition as well.


Votes: 91
Views: 178
Avg Vote: 6.4286
Comments: 5

I'll trade you 0.0619 in score for 7 of your comments and your fav.


tell you what why don't we combine our scores, comments, and faves, we'll probably up there with ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' alexsaberi and ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' simms then, lol.


Well, considering the comment you gave my shot, I don't think I should even be talking to you anymore ;)
10/20/2008 10:02:44 PM · #210
Originally posted by K10DGuy:

Well, considering the comment you gave my shot, I don't think I should even be talking to you anymore ;)


yeah my only negative comment was to a dnmc, and that was even nicely worded, lol, so i don't know what you're talkin about.

Message edited by author 2008-10-20 22:28:31.
10/20/2008 10:10:39 PM · #211
Well - I an fairly new to this site. This is my third Challenge. I have really appreciated the comments and kind words.

Votes: 93
Views: 170
Avg Vote: 6.1290
Comments: 8
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0

Message edited by scalvert - Details of current entry removed during voting.
10/20/2008 10:12:37 PM · #212
Originally posted by ryand:

Originally posted by K10DGuy:

Well, considering the comment you gave my shot, I don't think I should even be talking to you anymore ;)


yeah my only rude comment was to a dnmc, and that was even nicely worded, lol, so i don't know what you're talkin about.


Oh, it wasn't rude or anything, you just didn't give me a 10 ;)
10/20/2008 10:18:54 PM · #213
Come on voters... I need 2 more votes for the "100 votes check in" :)
10/20/2008 10:29:03 PM · #214
Originally posted by K10DGuy:

Originally posted by ryand:

Originally posted by K10DGuy:

Well, considering the comment you gave my shot, I don't think I should even be talking to you anymore ;)


yeah my only rude comment was to a dnmc, and that was even nicely worded, lol, so i don't know what you're talkin about.


Oh, it wasn't rude or anything, you just didn't give me a 10 ;)


oh i gotcha, well we're even then, cause im yet to get a comment with a 10 from you, lol
10/20/2008 10:29:50 PM · #215
Originally posted by ryand:

Originally posted by K10DGuy:

Originally posted by ryand:

Originally posted by K10DGuy:

Well, considering the comment you gave my shot, I don't think I should even be talking to you anymore ;)


yeah my only rude comment was to a dnmc, and that was even nicely worded, lol, so i don't know what you're talkin about.


Oh, it wasn't rude or anything, you just didn't give me a 10 ;)


oh i gotcha, well we're even then, cause im yet to get a comment with a 10 from you, lol


I'm saving my commenting for the Free Study. Takes a lot of energy.
10/20/2008 10:38:47 PM · #216
Votes: 96
Views: 198
Avg Vote: bout what it deserves for the challenge
Comments: 8

It's really a great shot imo but I'm loving some of the comments. Actually got an awesome one from photInterest.

Oh and I should be expecting one from ryand soon? dnmc comments come on baby.... I had a prediction for this one.
10/20/2008 10:55:23 PM · #217
100 votes results: 6.2500 with 8 comments.
10/20/2008 10:57:00 PM · #218
I am late in commenting on the whole wildlife/zoo debate.
These days 90% of what I shoot is wildlife. I would like to think I am a wildlife photographer.
It is NOT easy to do. Finding wildlife is tough. I am not looking for backyard birds and squirrels (tho they are fun too) but bears, bobcats and coyotes, animals that are potential dangerous and definitely aloof.

The first few times I found bears in the wild I was shaking so much I could not shoot. It was a sow in a tree with 2 cubs, I was about 10 feet away from the sow (thankfully I was in my car but still shaking because I knew she could reach me before I could get out of there safely. Sadly, I later found out this mom and cubs were shot and killed, but I digress.

On average for every 8 hrs of looking for wildlife IF, IF I get 10 minutes of finding an animal I am thrilled. Those 10 minutes make the waiting with a full bladder, often in the cold, barely moving, make me come back day after day and wish I could be there more.
In the 10 minutes I do get to see something, I hope:
It is not just the hind end running away.
That I have some kind of light to work with.
That the animal does something of interest and that my settings are right to capture the action.
Most times, I do not get those things working together.

Wildlife, true wildlife shots are the hardest to take. Your subject is completely unpredictable. It can leave at any time, move where it wants or not at all.
It is a pure gift to get a wildlife shot. It is miraculous to get a truly wow/ great wildlife shot. It is not the same as shooting in a zoo. I agree that it is sometimes hard to know if a shot was taken in the wild or not. But if you are a reputable wildlife photographer and submit a shot to say National Geographic and try to pass a zoo shot off as a wildlife shot and get caught you will never work with them again.

But more importantly, if you are shooting 'wildlife' in a zoo you are completely missing the joy and magic of it. The beauty of shooting wildlife is its "wildness".
You are not just doing a disservice to just your viewer, but to yourself if you think shooting in a zoo is shooting wildlife.

10/20/2008 10:59:45 PM · #219
89 Votes, Avg. 5.0000, 2 Comments.
10/20/2008 11:15:16 PM · #220
Was waiting for vote # 100 but I,m tired and going to bed soon :)

Votes: 99
Views: 208
Avg Vote: 6.7071
Comments: 17
Favorites: 0
10/20/2008 11:38:36 PM · #221
Votes: 99
Views: 194
Avg Vote: 6.4242
Comments: 8
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 10/20/08 11:34 pm
A personal best so far! I've been waiting for the 100 vote rollover, but it seems everyone's gone to bed. That's where I'm headed. Good night all!


10/20/2008 11:46:21 PM · #222
wow, i've never gone from 5.1 to 5.94 in one day. whatever youze is smokin', keep smokin!

ellamay - you go goyle. bears are yikesifying! i haven't been able to get a decent shot off yet when they've threatened. (i have a picture of bear poop tho, any takers??) and though i've had a wealth of wildlife this summer - once the challenge was announced, the temp dropped to the 20s F and pow, zero wildlife. and then when you find some, ha, make them hold still for a picture! fuh. they're cold too! bleh.
10/20/2008 11:54:42 PM · #223
Originally posted by ellamay:

I am late in commenting on the whole wildlife/zoo debate.
These days 90% of what I shoot is wildlife. I would like to think I am a wildlife photographer.
It is NOT easy to do. Finding wildlife is tough. I am not looking for backyard birds and squirrels (tho they are fun too) but bears, bobcats and coyotes, animals that are potential dangerous and definitely aloof.

The first few times I found bears in the wild I was shaking so much I could not shoot. It was a sow in a tree with 2 cubs, I was about 10 feet away from the sow (thankfully I was in my car but still shaking because I knew she could reach me before I could get out of there safely. Sadly, I later found out this mom and cubs were shot and killed, but I digress.

On average for every 8 hrs of looking for wildlife IF, IF I get 10 minutes of finding an animal I am thrilled. Those 10 minutes make the waiting with a full bladder, often in the cold, barely moving, make me come back day after day and wish I could be there more.
In the 10 minutes I do get to see something, I hope:
It is not just the hind end running away.
That I have some kind of light to work with.
That the animal does something of interest and that my settings are right to capture the action.
Most times, I do not get those things working together.

Wildlife, true wildlife shots are the hardest to take. Your subject is completely unpredictable. It can leave at any time, move where it wants or not at all.
It is a pure gift to get a wildlife shot. It is miraculous to get a truly wow/ great wildlife shot. It is not the same as shooting in a zoo. I agree that it is sometimes hard to know if a shot was taken in the wild or not. But if you are a reputable wildlife photographer and submit a shot to say National Geographic and try to pass a zoo shot off as a wildlife shot and get caught you will never work with them again.

But more importantly, if you are shooting 'wildlife' in a zoo you are completely missing the joy and magic of it. The beauty of shooting wildlife is its "wildness".
You are not just doing a disservice to just your viewer, but to yourself if you think shooting in a zoo is shooting wildlife.


While this is a wonderful write-up, and I'd recommend reading it for any aspiring wildlife photographer, I think you've missed the point in the context of the website that you're posting this on.

This is not National Geographic, it's Lowest Common Demographic. What most people here want to do is to get a shot that will look great and will get the masses to vote on it with glee. If we all stuck to this noble concept of getting out there into the wilds and going all professional wildlife hunter, we'd have, what, a dozen entries? Maybe?

So I respect that true wildlife shooting is amazingly difficult and rewarding, but this is DPC. We have a wide range of people with a wide range of abilities, equipment, and access to wilderness. So kudos to everyone that got out there and got muddy, seriously, but kudos to everyone else that got out there and got creative in a zoo too, because dammit, zoo shooting can be difficult as well, and rewarding. The next time someone tells me that I didn't work after sitting near the tiger cage for 6 hours on a cold wet bench just waiting for the damn thing to come out of his shelter, I'ma cram my 80-200mm lens somewhere! ;)

*Disclaimer: My entry isn't a Tiger*

So be proud everyone for simply getting out there and submitting! To hell with all this silly nonsense!

*EDIT* Dang, forgot to post my score again:

Votes: 99
Views: 191
Avg Vote: 6.4040
Comments: 7

In danger of losing my 6.4. *sob*

Message edited by author 2008-10-20 23:56:57.
10/21/2008 12:05:24 AM · #224
Votes: 97
Views: 163
Avg Vote: 5.4536
Comments: 3
Favorites: 1

Originally posted by ellamay:


But more importantly, if you are shooting 'wildlife' in a zoo you are completely missing the joy and magic of it. The beauty of shooting wildlife is its "wildness".
You are not just doing a disservice to just your viewer, but to yourself if you think shooting in a zoo is shooting wildlife.


I think shooting in the wild is fantastic and love to do just that, but this is a challenge where everyone is given one week to get a shot of wildlife and the shots are not going to go to National Geographic. I think it may be a little bit much to expect everyone who wants to participate to be able to track down wild animals in suburbia in October. So either we limit the challenge to a handful of entries or we just relax and enjoy what everyone submits, after all this is really just for fun!
10/21/2008 12:10:55 AM · #225
I couldn't agree more!! I'm not in this challenge because I knew this debate would ensue .. I'm in the city and submitting a squirrel or pigeon is just not going to get the votes anyone hopes for. Next time this challenge comes up maybe the description should read "zoo or nature" to prevent the bickering!

Originally posted by PapaBob:

I think shooting in the wild is fantastic and love to do just that, but this is a challenge where everyone is given one week to get a shot of wildlife and the shots are not going to go to National Geographic. I think it may be a little bit much to expect everyone who wants to participate to be able to track down wild animals in suburbia in October. So either we limit the challenge to a handful of entries or we just relax and enjoy what everyone submits, after all this is really just for fun!
Pages:   ... ...
Current Server Time: 04/08/2020 01:47:05 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 04/08/2020 01:47:05 AM EDT.