DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> A public Thank You
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 23 of 23, ascending (reverse)
AuthorThread
09/09/2008 09:27:53 PM · #1
Many of you know that I lost my father a few years ago. A few of you may also remember that he was a decorated military hero.

Recently ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Hatchet (Molly) enter a photo into a challenge that was taken at the Congressional Medal of Honor monument in Indiana. Until I saw this photo I did not realize that this memorial existed.

Today I received a wonderful gift from Molly. She drove back to the memorial and took photographs of my father name on the wall. I was in tears, both of the happy kind bust also of the grateful kind.

I have long been of the belief that DPC is filled with wonderful caring people. This is another example of the kindness of strangers. Thank you again ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Hatchet, I will long remember your kindness.
09/09/2008 09:41:05 PM · #2
Now that is what DPC is all about..... Just wonderful.....
09/09/2008 09:48:14 PM · #3
There surely is some really wonderful and caring people here that seem to go out of their way to help others.
09/09/2008 09:54:41 PM · #4
I have goosebumps all over - what a warm and wonderful, bittersweet story.
09/09/2008 10:26:43 PM · #5
Barbara it was my pleasure and I was honored to do this for you! I recently went on the website and read the story about your father. www.medalofhonor.com/DavidBleak.htm He was an amazing man and well deserving of this medal. I was so touched when you emailed me about the memorial photo, and I am really touched to know this meant so much to you. I hope you can make it to Indiana some time to see the memorial yourself.

Molly

09/10/2008 02:16:26 AM · #6
Wow!
What a nice thing to do.
You're the best Molly.
09/10/2008 03:30:49 AM · #7
Originally posted by Hatchet:

Barbara it was my pleasure and I was honored to do this for you! I recently went on the website and read the story about your father. www.medalofhonor.com/DavidBleak.htm...

Holy CRAP! That story is worth copying and posting here:

Originally posted by medalofhonor.com:

An Army medics strong-arm tactics help to carry the day
Medic on a Mission

Chances are there would be casualties, and someone would be needed to take care of them. After all, thats a medics job, and Sgt. David B. Bleak had no illusions about what he would be called on to do after volunteering to accompany a reconnaissance patrol. A medic with the Armys 223rd Infantry Regiment, 40th Infantry Division, Bleak had heard the patrols mission was to engage the enemy and capture a prisoner for interrogation.

At daybreak on June 14, 1952, as he and his fellow Americans forged up Hill 499 near Minari-gol, Korea, they came under withering enemy machinegun fire. As men began to fall around him, the 20-year-old Idaho Falls, Idaho, native swung into action, darting to those who needed medical aid, pulling them to cover or offering words of encouragement.

During the battle, Bleak, a large man, saw a grenade bounce off a soldiers helmet and roll a few feet away. Without giving it a second thought, he threw himself at the soldier and they both tumbled to the ground, unhurt as the grenade exploded.

Three Chinese soldiers began firing at Bleak. After tackling the first and breaking his neck, Bleak used his massive hands to crush the windpipe of the second, then plunged his trench knife into the third mans chest. Meanwhile, the troops he accompanied drove the last of the enemy from the hill, except for a previously undetected machinegun. It opened fire, and three men fell.

As Bleak rushed to them, a bullet struck him in the leg. He dressed the wound and returned to the others. Two of the wounded soldiers could walk on their own, but the third had to be hoisted by Bleak onto his broad shoulders. As they headed down the hill, two Chinese soldiers charged Bleak with bayonets. He quickly lowered the soldier from his shoulders to the ground then focused on the enemy. Dodging their thrusts, Bleak managed to get a huge hand around each mans head, then slammed both heads together, cracking their skulls. He again picked up the American and continued on to safety.

On Oct. 27, 1953, David E. Bleak received the Medal of Honor from President Eisenhower.


Kudos for Molly (Hatchet) <-- Hey, I just made that connection for the first time! LOL
and I'm so happy for Barbara for receiving the photos.

That is an AMAZING story!
09/10/2008 03:51:05 AM · #8
And the citation is impressive also;

(Copied from medalofhonor.com)
Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Medical Company 223d Infantry Regiment, 40th Infantry Division. Place and date: Vicinity of Minari-gol, Korea, 14 June 1952. Entered service at: Shelley, Idaho. Born: 27 February 1932, Idaho Falls, Idaho. G.O. No.: 83, 2 November 1953. Citation: Sgt. Bleak, a member of the medical company, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and indomitable courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. As a medical aidman, he volunteered to accompany a reconnaissance patrol committed to engage the enemy and capture a prisoner for interrogation. Forging up the rugged slope of the key terrain, the group was subjected to intense automatic weapons and small arms fire and suffered several casualties. After administering to the wounded, he continued to advance with the patrol. Nearing the military crest of the hill, while attempting to cross the fire-swept area to attend the wounded, he came under hostile fire from a small group of the enemy concealed in a trench. Entering the trench he closed with the enemy, killed 2 with bare hands and a third with his trench knife. Moving from the emplacement, he saw a concussion grenade fall in front of a companion and, quickly shifting his position, shielded the man from the impact of the blast. Later, while ministering to the wounded, he was struck by a hostile bullet but, despite the wound, he undertook to evacuate a wounded comrade. As he moved down the hill with his heavy burden, he was attacked by 2 enemy soldiers with fixed bayonets. Closing with the aggressors, he grabbed them and smacked their heads together, then carried his helpless comrade down the hill to safety. Sgt. Bleak's dauntless courage and intrepid actions reflect utmost credit upon himself and are in keeping with the honored traditions of the military service.
09/10/2008 04:48:25 AM · #9
This is one of the real reasons, why I LOVE DPC.....

You have made my lousy day, so much brighter.
09/10/2008 06:17:02 AM · #10
I have read this before and its reads like something out of a movie.

amazing.

Originally posted by Delta_6:

And the citation is impressive also;

(Copied from medalofhonor.com)
Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Medical Company 223d Infantry Regiment, 40th Infantry Division. Place and date: Vicinity of Minari-gol, Korea, 14 June 1952. Entered service at: Shelley, Idaho. Born: 27 February 1932, Idaho Falls, Idaho. G.O. No.: 83, 2 November 1953. Citation: Sgt. Bleak, a member of the medical company, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and indomitable courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. As a medical aidman, he volunteered to accompany a reconnaissance patrol committed to engage the enemy and capture a prisoner for interrogation. Forging up the rugged slope of the key terrain, the group was subjected to intense automatic weapons and small arms fire and suffered several casualties. After administering to the wounded, he continued to advance with the patrol. Nearing the military crest of the hill, while attempting to cross the fire-swept area to attend the wounded, he came under hostile fire from a small group of the enemy concealed in a trench. Entering the trench he closed with the enemy, killed 2 with bare hands and a third with his trench knife. Moving from the emplacement, he saw a concussion grenade fall in front of a companion and, quickly shifting his position, shielded the man from the impact of the blast. Later, while ministering to the wounded, he was struck by a hostile bullet but, despite the wound, he undertook to evacuate a wounded comrade. As he moved down the hill with his heavy burden, he was attacked by 2 enemy soldiers with fixed bayonets. Closing with the aggressors, he grabbed them and smacked their heads together, then carried his helpless comrade down the hill to safety. Sgt. Bleak's dauntless courage and intrepid actions reflect utmost credit upon himself and are in keeping with the honored traditions of the military service.
09/10/2008 06:28:57 AM · #11
That is truly amazing... you must be so proud.

You just have to love this site... the things folks do for each other.

Ray
09/10/2008 02:43:31 PM · #12
Your father is most definately someone to be proud of!! That was an awesome thing for Molly to do, and that is why I love DPC!! The caring, sharing spirit here just blows m y mind!
09/10/2008 03:10:28 PM · #13
If I were authorized, I will give Molly a special ribbon just for that. It shows DPC is so much more than just a challenge forum.
09/10/2008 03:19:03 PM · #14
What a great story! I grew up in Idaho Falls, ID! I don't often see that town mentioned.

There are some really great DPC'ers out there, I'm glad you shared that with us!
09/10/2008 04:10:07 PM · #15
Originally posted by Prash:

If I were authorized, I will give Molly a special ribbon just for that. It shows DPC is so much more than just a challenge forum.


The inspiration was more than enough for me to institute an award on "Extraordinary Outreach" (a glimpse on my profile page), and I have honorably requested Molly to accept it. I sincerely hope she accepts it and continues setting examples for us.
09/10/2008 04:26:41 PM · #16
Originally posted by Prash:

Originally posted by Prash:

If I were authorized, I will give Molly a special ribbon just for that. It shows DPC is so much more than just a challenge forum.


The inspiration was more than enough for me to institute an award on "Extraordinary Outreach" (a glimpse on my profile page), and I have honorably requested Molly to accept it. I sincerely hope she accepts it and continues setting examples for us.


Wow.. I am speechless! When I joined the site, I thought I'd take a few pictures and it would just be something fun to do when time permitted. I never imagined it would open up a new world of such wonderful people! You really are an amazing bunch! Thank you so much for the ribbon Prash, I accept it with honor and will proudly display it on my profile page!

Thank you so much!!

Molly
09/10/2008 05:22:51 PM · #17
Originally posted by Hatchet:

Originally posted by Prash:

Originally posted by Prash:

If I were authorized, I will give Molly a special ribbon just for that. It shows DPC is so much more than just a challenge forum.


The inspiration was more than enough for me to institute an award on "Extraordinary Outreach" (a glimpse on my profile page), and I have honorably requested Molly to accept it. I sincerely hope she accepts it and continues setting examples for us.


Wow.. I am speechless! When I joined the site, I thought I'd take a few pictures and it would just be something fun to do when time permitted. I never imagined it would open up a new world of such wonderful people! You really are an amazing bunch! Thank you so much for the ribbon Prash, I accept it with honor and will proudly display it on my profile page!

Thank you so much!!

Molly


You are welcome, Molly!

Here is a link to the thread that will track all the winners.
09/10/2008 05:30:25 PM · #18
One of the reasons I joined was because I read some of the forum /threads and found the community to be a nice- usually honest / giving /caring family like network of people = this just proves it yet again :-)
09/10/2008 05:32:16 PM · #19
Originally posted by iamwoman:

I have goosebumps all over - what a warm and wonderful, bittersweet story.


I was just realising that I had goosebumps, then this was the next comment I read :)
09/10/2008 06:26:27 PM · #20
The friendship and love that people on this site exhibit everyday are what it's all about!!
Molly, you are wonderful to do this for Barbara....Barbara, your dad was an amazing soldier and I'm sure a very wonderful man.

You all are what makes this community such a community!!! I'm glad I live here! :)
09/11/2008 12:56:46 AM · #21
wow....just....WOW

What an amazing story, true hero...
Not the best day at work today, this was just the antidote I needed!
09/11/2008 01:10:38 AM · #22
This is a great thread for Sept 11th! Thanks. I also appreciate the men and women who have defended our freedom in the past and and in the present.


09/17/2008 08:23:30 PM · #23
For those of you who have expressed and interest in my father, I give you the "Badass of the Week". This was forwarded to me by my brother. We enjoyed a good chuckle over it.

Badass of the Week, David Bleak

Might not be safe for young readers.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/13/2019 06:17:32 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/13/2019 06:17:32 AM EST.