DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Photography Discussion >> Ultimate Comment
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 18 of 18, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/27/2008 11:42:26 AM · #1
Regards of the day to you all.

Recently it was my extreme pleasure to have received what I believe to be the ultimate complimentary comment in regards to my photo artwork "Transitional Approximation" which placed 217 out of 225 in the Purple III event.

"Very brave of you to post this. You know how people are."

So few words that say so much!

08/27/2008 12:04:41 PM · #2
lol...well my comment of the day is.................... ???? (and thats it...lmao)
08/27/2008 12:24:55 PM · #3
When I read this gem, it was like my computer was screaming at me.

"STUPID PICTURE!"

I've received lots of good comments, but that one sticks in my mind to this day simply for the ferocity of the attack.
08/27/2008 12:34:23 PM · #4
Originally posted by lpatrick:

.... the ultimate complimentary comment ...

I think you meant to say, "This photo is so outstanding, it's almost Strikeslippish."
08/27/2008 12:38:47 PM · #5
Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Originally posted by lpatrick:

.... the ultimate complimentary comment ...

I think you meant to say, "This photo is so outstanding, it's almost Strikeslippish."


When I got that comment, I reported it for being offensive...
08/27/2008 12:42:28 PM · #6
Originally posted by posthumous:

Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Originally posted by lpatrick:

.... the ultimate complimentary comment ...

I think you meant to say, "This photo is so outstanding, it's almost Strikeslippish."


When I got that comment, I reported it for being offensive...


When I got that comment I checked my hair...
08/27/2008 12:59:21 PM · #7
Keep up with the abstracts. Your entry fit the challenge and was a nice change from all the oversaturated skies.

With abstracts you have to go in knowing it will have limited appeal to the masses, but there is a small audience that really loves such things.
08/27/2008 01:43:34 PM · #8
I have the only UNhelpful comment on that image. :) FWIW, I didn't really give it a one, but I didn't give it a 10 either. Here's my serious commentary: While a few think it's a good "study" of abstract or light & shadow, if I look at it as a serious entry, I find it boring and unimaginative. I'm not a huge fan of abstracts unless they wow me. Sorry, that's just me - call me one of "the masses". Also, to be honest, this struck me as a non-serious entry - we get a few of them in every challenge and I've submitted more than a few myself and have been appropriately beat up for them as well.

Regarding the comment you mentioned in your OP, if it was a serious entry that you put some thought and effort into, I might agree that you were "very brave" to enter it if you had some expectation that it would get hammered and that the hammering would somehow be painful or very uncomfortable. I am curious as to how you thought it would be received?
08/27/2008 01:58:34 PM · #9
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

I have the only UNhelpful comment on that image. :)


Actually, there were two; yours, and the one immediately above it on the page :-)

R.
08/27/2008 02:09:06 PM · #10
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

I have the only UNhelpful comment on that image. :)


Actually, there were two; yours, and the one immediately above it on the page :-)

R.

I sit corrected. :)

To the OP: I did go check out your website and will happily admit that I really did like about 80% of the images in your slideshow. Just didn't like the one you entered in the challenge. :(
08/27/2008 03:27:04 PM · #11
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

I have the only UNhelpful comment on that image. :) FWIW, I didn't really give it a one, but I didn't give it a 10 either. Here's my serious commentary: While a few think it's a good "study" of abstract or light & shadow, if I look at it as a serious entry, I find it boring and unimaginative. I'm not a huge fan of abstracts unless they wow me. Sorry, that's just me - call me one of "the masses". Also, to be honest, this struck me as a non-serious entry - we get a few of them in every challenge and I've submitted more than a few myself and have been appropriately beat up for them as well.

Regarding the comment you mentioned in your OP, if it was a serious entry that you put some thought and effort into, I might agree that you were "very brave" to enter it if you had some expectation that it would get hammered and that the hammering would somehow be painful or very uncomfortable. I am curious as to how you thought it would be received?


Thank you Art for your well written reply. My image was submitted as a serious entry. Before placing it on DPC I was very well aware of the hammering it would get. The few images that I will submit to DPC will all be left of center or is that right of center.

IMO too many photo artists are so wrapped up in competitiveness and or perfection they don't see the forest for the trees. With some photographs I "feel" the passion that went into the work. Conversely, when I look at others, all I see is another variation of a extremely well executed but repetitive theme. I hope we all realize that there is much more to art and beauty than mastery of the process. I am humbled by the tremendous technical skills that abound among today's digital photographers. While I do not personally have such skill sets I do have a spot in my little Grey cells that enable me to compose an image without fear of criticism. It is my wish to attract your attention, to expose you to individuality, to present am image that may cause you to pause and ponder. With no fear of winning or losing there is no defeat.

In closing, personally I do not find "Transitional Approximation" very attractive but rather I took satisfaction in giving its "plainness" an opportunity to be seen. Look for my work primarily in challenges that lend themselves to the abstract, surreal or minimalist.

With respect.
08/27/2008 03:28:41 PM · #12
Thanks for watching my back Yostiff.
08/27/2008 03:47:15 PM · #13
recent backhanded comment:

"I expect this looked much more impressive in reality than in this picture."

...ouch
08/27/2008 04:04:33 PM · #14
Originally posted by lpatrick:

IMO too many photo artists are so wrapped up in competitiveness and or perfection they don't see the forest for the trees. With some photographs I "feel" the passion that went into the work. Conversely, when I look at others, all I see is another variation of a extremely well executed but repetitive theme. I hope we all realize that there is much more to art and beauty than mastery of the process.


I think you will always find some here who appreciate and/or find the beauty in just about anything someone submits here. Scoring well in a challenge is a whole different story though. If you're ok with submitting abstracts in non-abstract challenges and expecting to just appeal to a minority, you won't be disappointed and like I said, you will get some appreciation for it. I do the same with many of my humorous entries - if it makes a few people chuckle, I couldn't care less about the score.

Welcome to DPC. Enjoy!
08/27/2008 04:14:14 PM · #15
my one comment so far today was actually one I could find no reason to feel bad about.....that is rare for me!
08/27/2008 04:21:27 PM · #16
Originally posted by lpatrick:


IMO too many photo artists are so wrapped up in competitiveness and or perfection they don't see the forest for the trees. With some photographs I "feel" the passion that went into the work. Conversely, when I look at others, all I see is another variation of a extremely well executed but repetitive theme. I hope we all realize that there is much more to art and beauty than mastery of the process. I am humbled by the tremendous technical skills that abound among today's digital photographers. While I do not personally have such skill sets I do have a spot in my little Grey cells that enable me to compose an image without fear of criticism. It is my wish to attract your attention, to expose you to individuality, to present am image that may cause you to pause and ponder. With no fear of winning or losing there is no defeat.


AMEN!

please continue the way you do and see things, i hope we'll see more of your work in the future.
08/29/2008 09:20:18 AM · #17
Originally posted by Mephisto:

Originally posted by lpatrick:


IMO too many photo artists are so wrapped up in competitiveness and or perfection they don't see the forest for the trees. With some photographs I "feel" the passion that went into the work. Conversely, when I look at others, all I see is another variation of a extremely well executed but repetitive theme. I hope we all realize that there is much more to art and beauty than mastery of the process. I am humbled by the tremendous technical skills that abound among today's digital photographers. While I do not personally have such skill sets I do have a spot in my little Grey cells that enable me to compose an image without fear of criticism. It is my wish to attract your attention, to expose you to individuality, to present am image that may cause you to pause and ponder. With no fear of winning or losing there is no defeat.


AMEN!

please continue the way you do and see things, i hope we'll see more of your work in the future.


i agree, AMEN!
very well said statement indeed

as for the entry, personally i liked it. it immedietely caught my attention, it was well executed and stood out from alot of the same old, same old shots. i tend to lean towards abstracts and different perspectives of things too...gave it a 7 and was suprised it ended where it did
08/29/2008 09:51:41 AM · #18
Thank you all for your replies.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/08/2019 05:30:47 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/08/2019 05:30:47 PM EST.