DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> These Scores are A Crime
Pages:  
Showing posts 76 - 100 of 125, (reverse)
AuthorThread
06/16/2008 05:15:27 PM · #76
Originally posted by littlegett:

Originally posted by pffree:



One question:
Why do bagheaders often hide themselves during voting?


Because there are people who may not like the comment and reply during voting and it is not always pretty. I would prefer to be messaged after the voting has ended. Which also gives people time to reflect and or calm down from a comment they view as extreme.

People get emotional attached to their images, and feel it is a personal attack. I used to feel that way and pissed off a lot of people by commenting to them right after I read their comments. But after a few years of learning and growing... just try to let it roll now.

Though, that is the reason I baghead. ( I already admitted in this thread) Not that I am putting peoples images down, I just prefer to give time for the comment to soak in before being messaged about my stupidity of comment.


I'm sorry to hear that you / others get negative responses back. Whats all that about, some people with no sense of humour, can't take criticism. As I only got one baghead, I thought your comment was fair, thank you.
06/16/2008 06:12:49 PM · #77
well, I'm in Personal Best territory right now. I have to say, the voting response to this image really surprised me. The comments that I received so far, I believe whole heartedly and what I knew when submitting.

Votes: 85
Views: 197
Avg Vote: 6.1647
Comments: 6
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 06/16/08 06:10 pm
06/16/2008 07:04:48 PM · #78
Votes: 86
Views: 215
Avg Vote: 5.2907
Comments: 5

This is good for bringing my ego back where it should be... It was a tad bit high this morning after my blue. :)


06/16/2008 09:13:42 PM · #79
damn ive been 6+ since the start and it just dropped under 6 :(
06/16/2008 10:26:37 PM · #80
Originally posted by raish:

Votes: 51
Views: 129
Avg Vote: 3.7647
Comments: 1

it's a fair cop...


I'm stickin' with my alibi: I was with ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_N.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_N.gif', '/') + 1) . ' raish!
Votes: 90
Views: 193
Avg Vote: 3.1778
Comments: 6
Updated: 06/16/08 10:13 pm
06/16/2008 11:00:49 PM · #81
Originally posted by noisemaker:

damn ive been 6+ since the start and it just dropped under 6 :(


Mine keeps going over, then back under. I bet yours will go back over. Keep the faith!
06/16/2008 11:11:25 PM · #82
s'okay...

Votes: 100
Views: 198
Avg Vote: 6.1000
Comments: 3

06/16/2008 11:38:15 PM · #83
I have ton's of comments...just not exactly the rating I want.

I am stuck at 4.8 atm.
06/17/2008 08:46:42 PM · #84
Originally posted by Magno:

This is why I rarely enter these type of challenges! Some folk interpret these contests too literaly and don't think outside the box. At the end of the day, people have to remember this is about photography and the quality of the image as an end product! don't get too caught up on technicalities...sure, you have to meet the remit of the challenge, but for christ sake, have a liberal view on the matter. At the end of the day, I'd rather see an image win because its technically, a well executed photo that just about meets the criteria, rather than an image which meets the challenge remit word for word, but which is poorly executed!!! And believe you me...it happens!

This is why I feel Free Studies are the gold standard on dpchallenge...as the images tend to be judged in most part on photographic merit, and without the influence of personal interpretation.


sigh...

i'm getting frustrated with the response to my shot. :-(

these challenges for me seem to be just a stab in the dark.
06/17/2008 10:58:03 PM · #85
Votes: 124
Views: 320
Avg Vote: 5.0887
Comments: 9
Favorites: 0

Approaching the score I predicted which would be in the 4.X range! :-) Good thing is I like my shot and I'm getting a few chuckles from the voters.
06/17/2008 11:44:38 PM · #86
Eh...

Votes: 126
Views: 277
Avg Vote: 6.0159
Comments: 4
06/17/2008 11:45:31 PM · #87
Votes: 118
Views: 450
Avg Vote: 4.7966
Comments: 24

I just want a 5..

:(
06/18/2008 10:26:56 AM · #88
Crime Scene

Votes: 126
Views: 309
Avg Vote: 6.0317
Comments: 17

I had dipped to 5.9 for a while, but I'm back!
06/18/2008 01:02:27 PM · #89
I am just amazed at the high number of views on this challenge..
06/18/2008 01:26:24 PM · #90
Originally posted by bauerfan71:

I am just amazed at the high number of views on this challenge..


It only has 62 entries. More people who vote will get to them all versus a 400 entry challenge.
06/18/2008 03:03:59 PM · #91
Originally posted by Magno:

This is why I rarely enter these type of challenges! Some folk interpret these contests too literaly and don't think outside the box. At the end of the day, people have to remember this is about photography and the quality of the image as an end product! don't get too caught up on technicalities...sure, you have to meet the remit of the challenge, but for christ sake, have a liberal view on the matter. At the end of the day, I'd rather see an image win because its technically, a well executed photo that just about meets the criteria, rather than an image which meets the challenge remit word for word, but which is poorly executed!!! And believe you me...it happens!

This is why I feel Free Studies are the gold standard on dpchallenge...as the images tend to be judged in most part on photographic merit, and without the influence of personal interpretation.


I have never seen anyone change their mind on this topic in my short time here. To stray off crime scene for a moment so as not give poeple ulcers. If the the topic is Yellow Fruit and someone takes a great picture of a Red Apple, I'll give them a "1", as I feel they deliberately ignored/bent/shoehorned the rules to make it easier for themselves to find a subject. There are others that will rate a great Red Apple photo a "7" or "8" becuse it is a great photo and falls within a liberal/creative/"outside the box" interpretation of the challenge. I am upset on the challenges when the Red Apple beats out most if not all of the Yellow Fruit and others are upset when a superior photo loses because of narrow DNMC voting. We are probably never going to convince the other we are right.

My score, by the way.

Votes: 128
Views: 332
Avg Vote: 5.4609
Comments: 12
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 06/18/08 02:10 pm


06/18/2008 04:11:22 PM · #92
Originally posted by charliebaker:

Originally posted by raish:

Votes: 51
Views: 129
Avg Vote: 3.7647
Comments: 1

it's a fair cop...


I'm stickin' with my alibi: I was with ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_N.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_N.gif', '/') + 1) . ' raish!
Votes: 90
Views: 193
Avg Vote: 3.1778
Comments: 6
Updated: 06/16/08 10:13 pm


Not a good alibi - we were committing a crime, remember?

Votes: 128
Views: 393
Avg Vote: 3.7266
Comments: 4
06/18/2008 04:25:31 PM · #93
Votes: 132
Views: 610
Avg Vote: 4.7674
Comments: 27
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0

SIX HUNDRED AND TEN VIEWS!!!!
and such a low ranking..

:(

at the very least...I got your attention!

:)

Message edited by author 2008-06-19 09:16:35.
06/19/2008 09:50:40 AM · #94
anyone else having this many views with so little voting?
06/19/2008 09:54:49 AM · #95
No where near your views, but close in score, lol...

Votes: 140
Views: 327
Avg Vote: 4.8214
Comments: 2
06/19/2008 10:58:12 AM · #96
Low scoring batch IMO.

You have rated 61 of 62 images (98%) in this challenge.
You have commented on 38 images (61%) in this challenge.
You have given an average score of 4.4754

Highest I gave was a single 8 score. Three 7s in the mix as well.
06/19/2008 11:02:30 AM · #97
Originally posted by posthumous:

Originally posted by Love6:

its interesting the longer i'm here the more i notice these threads disinigrate into petty arguments about the meaning of the challenge and who interperted what about it- why isn't this discussed better before the challenge entries are submitted ? hrm; just an observation...


oh, but it is! the arguments go on before, during and after the challenge!


Or before, during, and after the voting. :)

I think a good number of voters don't read the forums. They come and post their entries, then come back to vote. They vote how THEY view the theme of the challenge and no amount of posting in the threads or "group consensus" is going to change their mind on their view of the entries.

And that's just fine.
06/19/2008 11:27:30 AM · #98
Originally posted by HawkeyeLonewolf:


I think a good number of voters don't read the forums. They come and post their entries, then come back to vote. They vote how THEY view the theme of the challenge and no amount of posting in the threads or "group consensus" is going to change their mind on their view of the entries.

And that's just fine.


yea. I don't mind how or why other's vote. I just wanted to validate that my voting criteria would be viewed as fair and acceptable.

CRIME SCENE UPDATE:
Votes: 133
Views: 623
Avg Vote: 4.7669
Comments: 30

Message edited by author 2008-06-19 11:30:08.
06/20/2008 09:25:15 AM · #99
Votes: 149
Views: 694
Avg Vote: 4.7718
Comments: 34

dangit...I really want to break 5....

Message edited by author 2008-06-20 09:25:36.
06/20/2008 05:16:39 PM · #100
Am sure many will think mine is a crime, post challenge results, but this is how it is voted:

Votes: 168
Views: 439
Avg Vote: 6.1845
Comments: 19

Will be my first score above 6.0 if it stays this way, so i'll be happy.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 09/21/2021 06:45:22 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 09/21/2021 06:45:22 PM EDT.