DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Photography Discussion >> Congrats, Joey Lawrence! Movie Poster
Pages:  
Showing posts 126 - 150 of 238, (reverse)
AuthorThread
03/30/2009 03:36:17 PM · #126
Who CARES?

Originally posted by cujee:

Originally posted by rugman1969:

Wow! A movie poster! The art of photo editing. Why does everyone praise this kid on his pictures? I'm not saying he doesn't take a decent picture, but it seems he has mastered the art of editing instead of photographing. Anyone can take a picture. How you edit it will always make or break a photo, and if you can't take a good picture, you really need to know how to edit. Let's get it straight, the boy does some great photo editing, but falls short on the art of taking a great picture. I know a lot of ya'll are not going to like this, but let's face it, the truth hurts. Congrats to having an agent to help you land this gig. I'm not trying to take away your glory, but I just can't take this kind of praise anymore on decent pictures with a lot of editing. Go ahead, nail me to the wall now. Thanks. My hands and feet are bleeding from the nails. Congrats Joey on the poster. I'm sure many others would have liked to get that job. What's next, a $500.00 dvd on how to land and edit a movie poster?


Saying that he falls short of taking great photos is very ambiguous. What do you mean he doesn't take great photos, have you not seen his africa shots and the obstacles he went through just to take a photograph (video blog). His efforts are clearly conveyed through his works. Normally I would agree with you to the extent that just because you land a huge gig doesn't deem you as an amazing photographer, but Joey doesn't fit this description, there's a reason why he lands good gigs. He probably does have a great agent, but i think you need to produce more than just "good" or "decent" photographs to land a gig like Twilight or get published into magazines consistently. In terms of his editing, I commend him for being able to create such a distinctive editing style. But based on the majority of his photographs, it's his lighting techniques that make his photographs so appealing.
03/30/2009 03:42:11 PM · #127
Originally posted by alanfreed:


And of course it's worth mentioning that he has been a great member of DPC since 2004.

If you can't give a nod of the hat to someone who has accomplished all that he has, you might just have a few unresolved issues to tend to...


I second that emotion

03/30/2009 03:51:58 PM · #128
Originally posted by rugman1969:

Who CARES?

I do. He's a nice guy. He deserves his success. :-)
03/30/2009 04:01:28 PM · #129
Regardless of how Joey is as a person (I have never really spoken to him personally, but by all accounts he is a top bloke) you cant deny he has an incredibly natural talent at creating marvellous imagery - regardless of how he does it, his work stand head and shoulders above some of the best in the world in my opinion. It has everything, its emotive, its narrative, it provokes reactions and it is great eyecandy to boot. To dismiss him as a guy who is `good at photoshop`, is doing him a massive disservice, I daresay his stuff straight out of the camera is pretty darn tasty. The guy is tremendously skilled/talented whether you like his work or not..

I detect a wee bit of the green eyed monster lurking.. I know I am as jealous as f**k when I look at his young age and his massive success. For the future I definitely see him moving into movies in a big big way. I would make some other predictions, but I dont want to end up sounding like a faggy fanboy..
03/30/2009 04:05:17 PM · #130
Awww, but Simms, I do so love it when you sound like a faggy fanboy.... ;)

By the way, I don't think Joey did the editing on the posters. He did all the shots but I think someone else edited them. And my mom, who is not a teenaged girl, has one of those pictures on a key ring. She was delighted when I told her I knew the guy that took the pictures. She said to tell him he does lovely work. :-)
03/30/2009 04:15:28 PM · #131
Originally posted by Melethia:

Awww, but Simms, I do so love it when you sound like a faggy fanboy.... ;)

By the way, I don't think Joey did the editing on the posters. He did all the shots but I think someone else edited them. And my mom, who is not a teenaged girl, has one of those pictures on a key ring. She was delighted when I told her I knew the guy that took the pictures. She said to tell him he does lovely work. :-)


Pffft..

Like I said, I don't `know` him, and I wont jump on the DPC bandwagon of saying "Oh yeah, he is a close friend of mine", I have commented on his images a few times, he has commented on mine - that doesn't get him an invite to Xmas dinner.*

However I do chuckle at those who are `bestest buds` just because they have passed a few pleasantries with him on this website.

*Joey, if you are in the area at Xmas and you do fancy popping in for dinner that's fine, just make sure you call ahead, and dont take the piss and stay all day OK, just dinner, a game of charades then make your excuses and leave. oh, and bring a bottle.

Message edited by author 2009-03-30 16:16:11.
03/30/2009 04:23:15 PM · #132
I wonder if Joey gets any cash from keychains, DVD covers, Cups...etc...

Originally posted by Melethia:

Awww, but Simms, I do so love it when you sound like a faggy fanboy.... ;)

By the way, I don't think Joey did the editing on the posters. He did all the shots but I think someone else edited them. And my mom, who is not a teenaged girl, has one of those pictures on a key ring. She was delighted when I told her I knew the guy that took the pictures. She said to tell him he does lovely work. :-)
03/30/2009 05:13:02 PM · #133
Originally posted by rugman1969:

Who CARES?


Obviously, a lot of us do. And why shouldn't we? SOME of us really are happy for others' accomplishments, though you may find this hard to understand, since it seems by your comments made that you don't feel the same.

You know, I really feel sorry for people who can't share in each others' joy.

Message edited by author 2009-03-30 17:15:09.
03/30/2009 05:14:48 PM · #134
Originally posted by kenskid:

I wonder if Joey gets any cash from keychains, DVD covers, Cups...etc...


He wouldn't, because the copyrights belong to Summit. (The first time I saw one of the prints I checked to see if his name was on it.)

Message edited by author 2009-03-30 17:15:26.
03/31/2009 04:18:50 AM · #135
It's a testament to the dpc community that it took so many pages of replies before the jealous comments started coming out. I've been a member of this site on and off since about 2005 and have watched joey progress at an alarming rate. What's impressive, and what the negative people here can't deny, is that at 19 years old joeys become very successful in this field. Hobby or not for us, that's impressive. I didn't go into photography professionally and I enjoy my career but that doesn't mean I'm not envious of joeys drive and ambition to succeed on a notoriously crowded career path.
03/31/2009 09:10:25 AM · #136
Originally posted by rugman1969:

Who CARES?



Well obviously you do, LOL or you wouldn't have responded to this thread to start with.

As for editing, if you watched any of the videos or read any of the articles about the Twilight posters you would have known that Joey had NOTHING to do with the final editing. Though it is in his style he had no control over the final released picture.

I also wondered if his contract with Summit included any royalties off the merchandising of the products. Would have been a sweet ride while it lasts.

So rugman1969, do yourself a favor, go have a nice long walk, take a deep breath and chill. For those of us who have watched Joey grow and learn and teach on this site for the past several years, its exciting and fun to watch and say, "Hey, I knew him way back when he was just a hyper little kid on DPC! Look him go now!"

And honestly, if half the adults in the world had Joey's level of maturity and passion and focus this world would be a much better place. I know I would be if I did.

Deannda
totally immature, unfocused and impassionate, :)
03/31/2009 09:31:11 AM · #137
Let's say Joey who is from Canada I think....makes it BIG. Lets say he makes $500,000 US dollars next year. Here in the US he would lose up to 37% of that in income taxes. Why should he pay 37% in taxes while a person who sells camera's at the camera shop pay only 20% ?

Here in the US and many other countries Joey is penalized for his success.

Chew on that for awhile...LOL !

Originally posted by Neuferland:

Originally posted by rugman1969:

Who CARES?



Well obviously you do, LOL or you wouldn't have responded to this thread to start with.

As for editing, if you watched any of the videos or read any of the articles about the Twilight posters you would have known that Joey had NOTHING to do with the final editing. Though it is in his style he had no control over the final released picture.

I also wondered if his contract with Summit included any royalties off the merchandising of the products. Would have been a sweet ride while it lasts.

So rugman1969, do yourself a favor, go have a nice long walk, take a deep breath and chill. For those of us who have watched Joey grow and learn and teach on this site for the past several years, its exciting and fun to watch and say, "Hey, I knew him way back when he was just a hyper little kid on DPC! Look him go now!"

And honestly, if half the adults in the world had Joey's level of maturity and passion and focus this world would be a much better place. I know I would be if I did.

Deannda
totally immature, unfocused and impassionate, :)
03/31/2009 10:17:22 AM · #138
Originally posted by kenskid:

Let's say Joey who is from Canada I think....makes it BIG. Lets say he makes $500,000 US dollars next year. Here in the US he would lose up to 37% of that in income taxes. Why should he pay 37% in taxes while a person who sells camera's at the camera shop pay only 20% ?

Here in the US and many other countries Joey is penalized for his success.

Chew on that for awhile...LOL !


Hijack of the month! WTG Ken!

R.
03/31/2009 10:23:30 AM · #139
Originally posted by kenskid:

Let's say Joey who is from Canada I think....makes it BIG. Lets say he makes $500,000 US dollars next year. Here in the US he would lose up to 37% of that in income taxes. Why should he pay 37% in taxes while a person who sells camera's at the camera shop pay only 20% ?

Here in the US and many other countries Joey is penalized for his success.

Chew on that for awhile...LOL !



That analogy isn't really the way it works in real life. I don't know what Joey does with his 500k a year but people in the US who make that kind of money have tax shelters and writeoffs. Someone making 500k could well pay 37% of 150k. If they payed taxes on 500k then they probaly grossed 2-4 million and are really paying far less than 20%.
03/31/2009 10:25:58 AM · #140
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by kenskid:

Let's say Joey who is from Canada I think....makes it BIG. Lets say he makes $500,000 US dollars next year. Here in the US he would lose up to 37% of that in income taxes. Why should he pay 37% in taxes while a person who sells camera's at the camera shop pay only 20% ?

Here in the US and many other countries Joey is penalized for his success.

Chew on that for awhile...LOL !


Hijack of the month! WTG Ken!

R.

I think it would be 40% or more in Canada??? So the US is better that way... until you start looking at health care... and the quality of beer...
03/31/2009 10:35:37 AM · #141
My healthcare and beer are just fine.

Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by kenskid:

Let's say Joey who is from Canada I think....makes it BIG. Lets say he makes $500,000 US dollars next year. Here in the US he would lose up to 37% of that in income taxes. Why should he pay 37% in taxes while a person who sells camera's at the camera shop pay only 20% ?

Here in the US and many other countries Joey is penalized for his success.

Chew on that for awhile...LOL !


Hijack of the month! WTG Ken!

R.

I think it would be 40% or more in Canada??? So the US is better that way... until you start looking at health care... and the quality of beer...
03/31/2009 10:37:51 AM · #142
Originally posted by kenskid:

My healthcare and beer are just fine.

Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by kenskid:

Let's say Joey who is from Canada I think....makes it BIG. Lets say he makes $500,000 US dollars next year. Here in the US he would lose up to 37% of that in income taxes. Why should he pay 37% in taxes while a person who sells camera's at the camera shop pay only 20% ?

Here in the US and many other countries Joey is penalized for his success.

Chew on that for awhile...LOL !


Hijack of the month! WTG Ken!

R.

I think it would be 40% or more in Canada??? So the US is better that way... until you start looking at health care... and the quality of beer...

You just don't know any better. :-P
03/31/2009 10:38:03 AM · #143
So someone in the US that now makes 2-4 million only pays in reality....20% tax on that income ?!?!?
Well then...it's time to raise the rate to 70% so they end up paying 37%. I can buy into that.

Originally posted by Niten:

Originally posted by kenskid:

Let's say Joey who is from Canada I think....makes it BIG. Lets say he makes $500,000 US dollars next year. Here in the US he would lose up to 37% of that in income taxes. Why should he pay 37% in taxes while a person who sells camera's at the camera shop pay only 20% ?

Here in the US and many other countries Joey is penalized for his success.

Chew on that for awhile...LOL !



That analogy isn't really the way it works in real life. I don't know what Joey does with his 500k a year but people in the US who make that kind of money have tax shelters and writeoffs. Someone making 500k could well pay 37% of 150k. If they payed taxes on 500k then they probaly grossed 2-4 million and are really paying far less than 20%.


Message edited by author 2009-03-31 10:58:46.
03/31/2009 10:38:18 AM · #144
All I'm going to say is, go take a look at Joey's page here on the site, at shots he was taking as a 14-15 year old with a p&s.

And as for the diff between Cdn and American beer...well like we say up here, American beer is like making love in a canoe...

F***in' near water! :-)
03/31/2009 11:25:22 AM · #145
Ken, seriously, if you want to start a thread on a completely different subject, have at it. Let's keep this on topic.

Originally posted by kenskid:

So someone in the US that now makes 2-4 million only pays in reality....20% tax on that income ?!?!?
Well then...it's time to raise the rate to 70% so they end up paying 37%. I can buy into that.

03/31/2009 11:44:32 AM · #146
Ok...but I think it got off topic when Rugman1969 came in. It changed from a "Go Joey" thread to a "Defend Joey" thread....

....I was just trying to defend Joey from a greater threat than Rugman....the TAXman.

Originally posted by alanfreed:

Ken, seriously, if you want to start a thread on a completely different subject, have at it. Let's keep this on topic.

Originally posted by kenskid:

So someone in the US that now makes 2-4 million only pays in reality....20% tax on that income ?!?!?
Well then...it's time to raise the rate to 70% so they end up paying 37%. I can buy into that.
03/31/2009 12:16:13 PM · #147
Speaking of "Go Joey!!", does anyone know if he got the contract for New Moon as well? I sure hope so, he did such a fantastic job with the original series it would be a shame to screw it up now.

And yes, there are several promotional Twilight items throughout my house, are you kidding, I have a 13 year old daughter who is now obsessed with Volvos and thinks that old school vampires are stupid, only Twilight vampires are the true ones, LOL! :)

Deannda
More a werewolf kind of gal myself, :)
03/31/2009 12:49:02 PM · #148
Originally posted by Neuferland:

Speaking of "Go Joey!!", does anyone know if he got the contract for New Moon as well? I sure hope so, he did such a fantastic job with the original series it would be a shame to screw it up now.

And yes, there are several promotional Twilight items throughout my house, are you kidding, I have a 13 year old daughter who is now obsessed with Volvos and thinks that old school vampires are stupid, only Twilight vampires are the true ones, LOL! :)

Deannda
More a werewolf kind of gal myself, :)


Yup, heard he is on as long as the current director is on the project.
03/31/2009 03:57:10 PM · #149
Originally posted by Simms:

Originally posted by Neuferland:

Speaking of "Go Joey!!", does anyone know if he got the contract for New Moon as well? I sure hope so, he did such a fantastic job with the original series it would be a shame to screw it up now.

And yes, there are several promotional Twilight items throughout my house, are you kidding, I have a 13 year old daughter who is now obsessed with Volvos and thinks that old school vampires are stupid, only Twilight vampires are the true ones, LOL! :)

Deannda
More a werewolf kind of gal myself, :)


Yup, heard he is on as long as the current director is on the project.


But the current director isn't on the project any more...
05/19/2009 02:25:54 PM · #150
The New Moon poster has been released and it looks fantastic!

Message edited by author 2009-05-19 14:47:06.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 10/26/2020 03:55:16 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 10/26/2020 03:55:16 AM EDT.