DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> peek-a-WHAT???
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 29, (reverse)
AuthorThread
03/03/2008 05:12:29 AM · #1
so for us non native speakers, what exactly is this challenge about?
03/03/2008 05:30:49 AM · #2
That's a really interesting question for us, the rest of the world...

Álex.
03/03/2008 05:38:26 AM · #3
Originally posted by Mephisto:

so for us non native speakers, what exactly is this challenge about?


Sth. like "Kuckuck!" for us. Not sure if this is common in Neufünfland, though.
03/03/2008 05:40:20 AM · #4
Peekaboo can refer to:

* Peekaboo, a baby's game
* Peekaboo (album), by Greek female synthpop duo Marsheaux
* Peekaboo (Rose Is Rose), the family cat in the comic strip Rose Is Rose
* Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, PCAOB, a U.S. organization

Peek-a-Boo can refer to:


* Peek-a-Boo (boxing style), a boxing style
* Peek-a-Boo (comics), supervillain
* "Peek-a-Boo" (song), by Siouxsie & The Banshees
* "Peek-a-Boo!" (Devo song), by Devo

From Google define: Peek-A-Boo:


* Any part of the garment which has been cut out to reveal skin.
www.dressking.com/search/glossary.htm

* Peek-a-Boo is a boxing style where the hands are placed in front of the boxer's face. It offers extra protection to the face and makes it easier to jab the opponent's face.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peek-a-Boo

* "Peek-a-Boo" is a song written, produced and recorded by English rock band Siouxsie & the Banshees. It was released in 1988 as the first single from the band's ninth studio album Peepshow.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peek-a-Boo (song)

* Peek-a-Boo is a DC Comics supervillain and a member of Wally West's Rogue's Gallery. She first appeared in Flash v2, #180, (January 2002), and was created by Geoff Johns and Scott Kolins.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peek-a-Boo (comics)

Most common useage in the US is really the child's game, where a child (or adult) hides behind their hands, uncovering one or both eyes for a second, while an adult (or similar) says "Peek-A-Boo" !
' . substr('//tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:MYW2OvnBkgHtfM://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2472994/2/istockphoto_2472994_peek_a_boo.jpg', strrpos('//tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:MYW2OvnBkgHtfM://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2472994/2/istockphoto_2472994_peek_a_boo.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

That should about cover it - or uncover it: Peek-A-Boo!
03/03/2008 05:53:48 AM · #5
cool, thanks!

Originally posted by Brad:



* Any part of the garment which has been cut out to reveal skin.

i think this one should do it for me! ;-D
03/04/2008 06:52:51 PM · #6
Originally posted by Brad:

Most common useage in the US is really the child's game, where a child (or adult) hides behind their hands, uncovering one or both eyes for a second, while an adult (or similar) says "Peek-A-Boo" !


Or the child hides and then leaps out from his/her "hiding place" in plain view next to the couch and yells, "Peek-a-Boo!" giving an obviously terrible fright to the adult. Or the adult spoils the fun and says first, "Peek-a-boo, I see you!" and the child argues that s/he still wins the game.

Or you play with feathered children, like my parrot, who climbs out from under the blanket I put over her head and says, "Peek-a-boo" as her head emerges. Or says, "Peek-a-boo" so I will remove the blanket. We have variations on all our games; she's always either narrating or demanding action ;-)

Any image involving something/someone not quite hidden or spotted in a hiding place would be a safe bet. For my vote, anyway (does anyone else's opinion count?).

I don't know nuthin' about those peek-a-boo outfits y'all mentioned. I'm sticking to respectable interpretations ::she said in her very best ladylike voice::
03/04/2008 06:57:41 PM · #7
We need to find you some more friends Mary!!!

(joking sweets!)
03/04/2008 07:14:26 PM · #8
I think people will tend to vote with the child's game idea in mind. I'm not saying they should, but I think that will likely happen.
03/04/2008 07:18:21 PM · #9
Originally posted by mirdonamy:

I think people will tend to vote with the child's game idea in mind. I'm not saying they should, but I think that will likely happen.

I agree! If I was trying to go for a respectable score, I wouldn't dare use any of the other interpretations.
03/04/2008 07:18:40 PM · #10
Of course, there's always Picabo Street...

"Her given name was inspired by the nearby Idaho town of Picabo, Idaho, (pronounced "PEEK-uh-boo"), which in turn takes its name from a Native American word meaning "shining waters"."
03/04/2008 07:43:56 PM · #11
Personally, I would vote against this since the Challenge is Peek-a-Boo... not picabo. But, that's just one opinion.

I'll vote for the child game as that's what's normally meant by "Peek-a-boo" in my opinion.

It's definitely a fun topic to think about. :)
03/04/2008 08:07:38 PM · #12
Originally posted by LydiaToo:

I'll vote for the child game as that's what's normally meant by "Peek-a-boo" in my opinion.


Perhaps you could broaden your interpretation to include others. When I just searched Google images for "peekaboo," the children's game was the 8th picture, not the first (note that I have safesearch set to show all images).
03/04/2008 08:12:20 PM · #13
There's a Peek-a-boo poledancing kit :)

N

EDIT: only 50 quid for you really dedicated DPCers...

Message edited by author 2008-03-04 20:13:06.
03/04/2008 09:17:54 PM · #14
Originally posted by Quasimojo:

There's a Peek-a-boo poledancing kit :)

N

EDIT: only 50 quid for you really dedicated DPCers...


OMG :::blushes::: THAT'S not ladlylike at all!!
03/04/2008 09:27:03 PM · #15
Originally posted by MaryO:

Originally posted by Quasimojo:

There's a Peek-a-boo poledancing kit :)

N

EDIT: only 50 quid for you really dedicated DPCers...


OMG :::blushes::: THAT'S not ladlylike at all!!


And the problem is?? :P
03/04/2008 09:39:54 PM · #16
there's a pole-dancing kit with my name on it??!! sheesh!!
03/04/2008 09:42:55 PM · #17
somebody was peekin'!!
03/04/2008 09:43:48 PM · #18
Picabo Street
03/04/2008 09:46:38 PM · #19
nah, she's bigger than me
03/04/2008 10:24:16 PM · #20
Originally posted by pikaboo:

nah, she's bigger than me


I've met her. She's a lovely person, but driven, and a seriously fit woman.
03/05/2008 11:04:54 AM · #21
Something like this perhaps. Taken last year, a little too early for this challenge. ;(
[thumb]654867[/thumb]
03/05/2008 11:11:41 AM · #22
Originally posted by JR:

Something like this perhaps. Taken last year, a little too early for this challenge. ;(
[thumb]654867[/thumb]
no no he/she is saying it wrong! ;D definitely DNMC
03/06/2008 12:53:57 AM · #23
Originally posted by LydiaToo:

Personally, I would vote against this since the Challenge is Peek-a-Boo... not picabo. But, that's just one opinion.

I'll vote for the child game as that's what's normally meant by "Peek-a-boo" in my opinion.

It's definitely a fun topic to think about. :)


One of the first things I thought about when I saw this challenge was "Picabo Street" and the challenge details state "Let your imagination run wild!"... it disturbs me when people vote against or lower their votes on a technically great picture that definitely falls into the challenge description.

My thoughts on voting go something like this... I figure if it didn't get disqualified, it deserves a fair vote. I try to vote on technical basics (level horizons, rule of thirds, focus, etc...) first, then weather I find the picture interesting/engaging, and that's about it. Not sayin everyone is supposed to vote like I do... just thought I'd put it out there.
03/06/2008 10:50:05 AM · #24
It's a real shame I didnt shoot this two days later than I did. it would have fallen right into the challenge. :(

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/80000-84999/80904/120/655121.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/80000-84999/80904/120/655121.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
03/06/2008 10:55:00 AM · #25
Originally posted by JaimeVinas:

It's a real shame I didnt shoot this two days later than I did. it would have fallen right into the challenge. :(

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/80000-84999/80904/120/655121.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/80000-84999/80904/120/655121.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


Most definitely. ;\

Great shot.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/15/2019 11:29:24 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/15/2019 11:29:24 AM EST.