DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Canon 50mm 1.8 lens making whirring noise in MF
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 13 of 13, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/23/2008 07:50:58 PM · #1
Hey,

I just got the famous 50mm f1.8 canon lens in the mail from BH. When using it in Automatic focus mode it works fine (although kinda noisy), but when I go in Manual focus, most of the time I hear a non-stop whirring noise and the camera won't take a picture.

Now I know usualy when the camera doesn't take the pic it's because it can't focus, but this is happening while in manual focus mode. This happens about 90% of the time. The other 10% it makes a short whirr and take the picture.

Is this normal?

Thanx,

Carlop.
02/23/2008 08:26:12 PM · #2
That doesn't seem normal at all. I think you got a bad copy.

~Terry
02/23/2008 09:57:02 PM · #3
I assume that lens does not have a built in AF motor? That does sound very odd. It doesn't happen with any other lens(s) you have? Not a Canon guy so I don't know this lens. Have you tried removing the lens and putting it back on?
02/23/2008 10:03:28 PM · #4
I thought I was the only one that has shit luck when buying something.Send it Back! Before they won't take it back. B&H must have a return policy that will allow you to test it out for a few days.I have one it and doesn't do that.
That sucks.

Good Luck.
02/24/2008 01:31:44 AM · #5
Originally posted by echoman:

I assume that lens does not have a built in AF motor? That does sound very odd. It doesn't happen with any other lens(s) you have? Not a Canon guy so I don't know this lens. Have you tried removing the lens and putting it back on?


Canon EF lenses, with very few exceptions, (Tilt shift & MPE Macro) have internal AF motors. Some have an "ultrasonic" ring motors, while others have less expensive, noisier motors.
02/24/2008 04:50:06 AM · #6
Sounds like the MF/AF switch is stuck or something. Return it.
02/24/2008 05:10:06 AM · #7
mark, the manual focus switch on those 50mm is a cheapo.. try switching it to auto and wiggle the focus ring very gently or get the camera to focus (to rotate the gears) then try flicking the switch to manual.. untill you feel that its in place...
if you're switch is in manual and you can smoothly rotate the ring without it making funny noises and still can't get the camera to snap.. then something might indeed be wrong with it..

02/24/2008 07:11:51 AM · #8
Originally posted by rami:

mark, the manual focus switch on those 50mm is a cheapo


So? It's a new lens, it should work. Period. BH will have no problem taking it back and providing a new one on behalf of Canon.
02/24/2008 07:29:03 AM · #9
That sucks. Send it back. It's their responsibility to you, the customer, to replace the product with something worth the money.

Great lens though!
02/24/2008 11:07:33 AM · #10
Send it back? Ugh... It's probably gonna cost me more in shipping and handling for the back and forth than what the lens is worth... I guess that's the chance you gotta take when you do online shopping...

Thanx for the input!

Message edited by author 2008-02-24 11:38:29.
02/24/2008 12:07:24 PM · #11
Call B&H explain the problem to them, Then you should ask them to send you a return label. If they sent you a defective product, They will be more than willing to exchange it.

ETA> they may have sent a return label with the lens, Check through all the papers that came with the package. I seem to recall having a return label included with one or two lenses I purchased from them.

Message edited by author 2008-02-24 12:09:19.
02/24/2008 12:31:12 PM · #12
Well, I just tested the lens again and the noise stopped completely. I dont know what I did different but the camera is snapping no problem when I switch it to manual focus. I even tried popping the lens out then back in, switching between Auto Focus and Manual Focus... Still no whirring sound...

So I guess the crisis is averted... sweet! (I hope!)

Thanks for the help.
02/24/2008 12:50:25 PM · #13
I was going to mount mine partially and see if that may have been the problem. What are the chances you just didn't quite have it all the way on. I know a few times when I have switched lenses I don't always quite get that good 'click' when I mount the lense. So now when I mount a lense if I don't hear a solid click I'll go ahead and reseat the lense.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 06/24/2021 03:29:20 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 06/24/2021 03:29:20 AM EDT.