DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Side Challenges and Tournaments >> Team UK Lounge is now open!
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 195, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/18/2008 02:04:54 PM · #1
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/41337/orig/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_646849.gif', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/41337/orig/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_646849.gif', '/') + 1) . '' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/41337/orig/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_646848.gif', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/41337/orig/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_646848.gif', '/') + 1) . '
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/41337/orig/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_646796.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/41337/orig/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_646796.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Join us for cups of tea, warm beer and cucumber sandwiches! National stereotypes be damned!
02/18/2008 06:35:13 PM · #2
Evening Barry, thanks for starting us a thread :o) Don't really know any of my fellow Olympic team mates so this will be a great place to learn a bit about you all :o)
02/18/2008 06:51:33 PM · #3
Hello, I wondered when there would be a thread for us Brits :D
I don't know anyone on here yet, as i've only just become a 'proper' member, so this does look like a good way to get to know you all! x
02/18/2008 06:58:36 PM · #4
Originally posted by Zodiac:

Hello, I wondered when there would be a thread for us Brits :D
I don't know anyone on here yet, as i've only just become a 'proper' member, so this does look like a good way to get to know you all! x


Hey Zoe, really glad you joined the team :o) Look forward to getting to know you during the 'games' :o)
02/19/2008 10:17:44 AM · #5
Howdy from Texas. I moved over here 4 years ago. Still a Brit, just working and living over the pond.

My question to you all is, during the DPL the private thread allowed comments to be made on each others entries, I found this very valuable, is there a way to do this outside DPL?

It might be useful to know what post processing options people have. As these will be Open challenges we will probably be restricted to basic editing, but knowing the limitations of peoples software can help with improvement suggestions.

I currently use Photoshop Elements 4.0, Gimp and Neat Image (Freeware).
02/19/2008 01:10:51 PM · #6
Greetings from London :)

When does this thing start anyway??!

N
02/19/2008 01:15:34 PM · #7
Originally posted by Quasimojo:

Greetings from London :)

When does this thing start anyway??!

N


Tomorrow. Schedule details are in first post of original Olympics thread.
02/19/2008 01:21:48 PM · #8
Quasimojo, Can you point me to the "'Nature and camera mode' forum thread" you mention in your excellent Birds II shot?
02/19/2008 01:59:40 PM · #9
Here
02/19/2008 03:05:55 PM · #10
Evening all. How are we this chilly evening?

In case you didn't see it, rules are here:

1. All teams must have at least 4 members enter the challenge. In addition the top 4 scores will be calculated under the weekly average for the team. I've decided to use the top 4 because this allows everyone to bring their "A" game to this tournament. Also, a lot of teams have 2-3 great players, and they can simply dominate the entire competition. This is a team effort, so 2 or 3 players shouldn't be doing everything.
2. In terms of the point system, I've decided to adopt a simple one with giving a certain amount of points for the top 5 teams.
1st - 10
2nd - 6
3rd - 4
4th - 3
5th - 2
If you guys have a problem or questions about the system, please feel free to e-mail me.
3. The competition will be 8 weeks worth of challenges. The challenges will be
ONLY Exclusive Open Challenges, since some teams don't have members that belong to DPC. The first challenge will be on February 20th 2008. We are NOT entering the current challenges (Leading Lines, and Peace) we are entering the ones that come out on February 20th.
3. After 8 weeks, the top 3 teams with the highest amount of points will receive medals that they can put up on their profile J
4. As team captains, it is your job to inspire your teammates and make sure they participate every week or nearly every week.
5. To check out results of your team and the other teams, go to this link //www.treasureshackonline.com/DPC_Olympics.htm courtesy of ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Dirt_Diver

Dates
February 20th, February 27th, March 5th, March 12th, March 19th, March 26th, April 2nd, and April 9th.

Edit: for some reason when I did copy and paste there were lots of HTML-type encoding. Weird.

Message edited by author 2008-02-19 15:32:46.
02/19/2008 03:18:28 PM · #11
Hi from Chilly Berkshire!

I know some of you from the forums, the others will become good friends by the end of this, I am sure. Haven't been scoring too well lately as I have just gone back to Canon, and having another go with the 30D, so hopefully I will improve soon:)

I am awaiting tomorrow for the onset of the Olympics. Good Luck to one and all.

Steve
02/19/2008 03:51:46 PM · #12
Best of luck team mates :o)
02/20/2008 02:02:56 AM · #13
Morning all. So we've begun :-)

"Black and white in colour" and "Colour in colour". Interesting. Both grab me, but no ideas yet (It's 7am though, not my most creative time)

The rollover fairies have bought me a new PB! Nice early birthday present as I turn 30 on Friday.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/816/120/645720.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/816/120/645720.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Just outside the top 10. In fact, if it wasn't for Ecce I'd have been in ;-)

Oh, and talj, thanks for the comment :-)
02/20/2008 06:19:30 AM · #14
No worries Barry, congrats on the new PB!! I thought it was ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' wingyisleeds, he's a friend and lives up that way but turns out it's you ;o)

02/20/2008 06:39:59 AM · #15
Congrats!
Hmm both challenges strike a chord, but i'll have to have a wander around town and see what I can find!

I think im the only non Canon user in this team :(
Owain i use CS3, very badly i might add, as I have only just been given it!
For most of the Olympics ill be based in Devon, where is everyone else?
02/20/2008 07:15:34 AM · #16
<---- I'm a non-Canon user.

I'm in Peterborough :-)
02/20/2008 07:27:43 AM · #17
Originally posted by Limbo:

Howdy from Texas. I moved over here 4 years ago. Still a Brit, just working and living over the pond.

My question to you all is, during the DPL the private thread allowed comments to be made on each others entries, I found this very valuable, is there a way to do this outside DPL?

It might be useful to know what post processing options people have. As these will be Open challenges we will probably be restricted to basic editing, but knowing the limitations of peoples software can help with improvement suggestions.

I currently use Photoshop Elements 4.0, Gimp and Neat Image (Freeware).


I use Paint Shop Pro XI for most things, Raw Therapee or Silkypix for RAW conversions, and a freeware prog I can't remember for HDR (writing this at work.) Can't afford CS3 *looks jealously at Zodiac* ;-)

As for collaborating, I'm quite happy to collaborate but we're going to have to agree in advance not to vote on each other's pics or we'd be rule breaking (we can't exactly be relied upon to be impartial as we want each other's entries to succeed.)

As other users would be able to see our links if we posted them in this thread, I'd suggest perhaps posting them via private messages. Maybe send a pm to everyone in the team with a link if you've got a entry you want advice on?
02/20/2008 07:45:31 AM · #18
Good idea on the collaborating thingys :)
Yay, another Sony user, mines still not as good, but it was the best i could do with £200 :)
Peterbourgh isnt that far from me when im at home, im from Lowestoft, Suffolk :D


02/20/2008 07:51:29 AM · #19
Nice challenges...should be good. Are we allowed to discuss each other's entries if we agree to not vote on them?? I mean, will the other teams be doing it??

Man o man..I am pissed off this morning....my Panning shot didn't even break 6 because I received an unnecessary amount of trolling in the 1, 2 and 3 department. Am really demotivated as a result of it...why goto the effort to have the wnackers vote it down??

Can any of you think of a reason why this photo would be considered a 1, 2 or 3?? (or anything less than average for that matter?)

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/816/120/646354.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/816/120/646354.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

N
02/20/2008 08:53:55 AM · #20
Nope, i would have voted 9, as i love the stripyness of the background!
02/20/2008 10:24:12 AM · #21
Originally posted by Quasimojo:

Nice challenges...should be good. Are we allowed to discuss each other's entries if we agree to not vote on them?? I mean, will the other teams be doing it??

Man o man..I am pissed off this morning....my Panning shot didn't even break 6 because I received an unnecessary amount of trolling in the 1, 2 and 3 department. Am really demotivated as a result of it...why goto the effort to have the wnackers vote it down??

Can any of you think of a reason why this photo would be considered a 1, 2 or 3?? (or anything less than average for that matter?)

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/816/120/646354.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/816/120/646354.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

N


I'm surprised it didn't break 6 but I wouldn't be too hard on the trolls. Even the top scores get some 1-3 voting. The trolls seem to be consistent at least, though you did seem to get an unfair number of 2's :-(

I think the main reason you didn't break the 6 is the red blur on the right. It pulls your eye over away from the rider, but not in a "he's going that way" kinda way. It doesn't deserve 1-3 voting in any way, shape or form. I would have tried a tight square crop though you wouldn't have any space then. Hard to say. This is DPC and these things happen. It is the public we are dealing with and the public are a-holes ;-)

I was a little disappointed by this result. Thought it would at least break the 5.5.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/811/120/642578.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/811/120/642578.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
Checkout my count of 1-3 and 8-10 voting ;-) I got marmite voting on this, lol.

Message edited by author 2008-02-20 10:34:14.
02/20/2008 10:34:52 AM · #22
Originally posted by SoulMan1978:

Morning all. So we've begun :-)

"Black and white in colour" and "Colour in colour". Interesting. Both grab me, but no ideas yet (It's 7am though, not my most creative time)

The rollover fairies have bought me a new PB! Nice early birthday present as I turn 30 on Friday.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/816/120/645720.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/816/120/645720.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Just outside the top 10. In fact, if it wasn't for Ecce I'd have been in ;-)

Oh, and talj, thanks for the comment :-)


I think you need to do some major Bio updating!!!
02/20/2008 04:29:27 PM · #23
Originally posted by Limbo:

I think you need to do some major Bio updating!!!


Yes I do. I've been threatening to do that for ages. ;-)

ETA: Done :-)

Message edited by author 2008-02-20 17:03:15.
02/20/2008 06:12:07 PM · #24
Originally posted by SoulMan1978:

Originally posted by Limbo:

I think you need to do some major Bio updating!!!


Yes I do. I've been threatening to do that for ages. ;-)

ETA: Done :-)


Good job.

Did you get my PM with the link?
02/21/2008 02:01:50 AM · #25
Originally posted by Limbo:

Did you get my PM with the link?


Yep. Left you a comment :-)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 06/18/2021 09:10:39 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 06/18/2021 09:10:39 AM EDT.