DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Got to be a New Low
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 63, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/21/2007 02:38:49 AM · #1
Final number of entries in the two open challenges: 62 and 63, for a total of 125 entries. For that matter, there's only 138 entries in the members' challenge, making a total of only 163 images in the voting stage this week.

What (if anything) is this telling us?

R.

Message edited by author 2007-11-21 02:40:52.
11/21/2007 02:42:46 AM · #2
eat more chicken?
11/21/2007 02:46:33 AM · #3
Folks here in the US too busy getting ready for Thanksgiving coming up? :-)

11/21/2007 02:47:43 AM · #4
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Final number of entries in the two open challenges: 62 and 63, for a total of 125 entries. What (if anything) is this telling us?

R.


that the challenges arguments are very not interesting. that there are a lot of photos submitted only because the number of photo was low. that I hope in an extra contest for see some good photo. the next open challenge don't will better, we will have 300 submissions with still life with pencil, glasses and similar subjects.....
11/21/2007 03:00:18 AM · #5
I called stephen hawking and he said he's on the case.
11/21/2007 03:03:10 AM · #6
It could be because of the holiday, but it also could be that scare of DNMC.

IMHO, I think there should not be any challenge details. Simply state the subject matter and let everyone shoot what they want. With challenge details, folks are reading too much into it, that they are afraid of DNMC, so they don't enter.

For example, the "Alone in a Crowd" challenge says, "Create a photo in which someone or something is clearly on its own in a crowded situation." Voters will vote low if there are two people in a crowded situation, because two people does not equal "someone" .

I would rather just have a topic presented without any details explaining it.

11/21/2007 03:11:30 AM · #7
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

What (if anything) is this telling us?


i think that interest for DPC (type of websites) is falling, ... maybe ... huh ?
11/21/2007 03:14:41 AM · #8
Originally posted by AperturePriority:

It could be because of the holiday, but it also could be that scare of DNMC.

IMHO, I think there should not be any challenge details. Simply state the subject matter and let everyone shoot what they want. With challenge details, folks are reading too much into it, that they are afraid of DNMC, so they don't enter.

For example, the "Alone in a Crowd" challenge says, "Create a photo in which someone or something is clearly on its own in a crowded situation." Voters will vote low if there are two people in a crowded situation, because two people does not equal "someone" .

I would rather just have a topic presented without any details explaining it.


something in a crowd will be: a purple pencil between yellow pencils(good for two contests and will submitted where the number of submissions will be low) a square glass between circular glasses(with wine and green background will be good for two challenge as the previous...), some shot with setup near some metro station(for the lucky peoples that live in a city where there is a metro)
11/21/2007 03:18:09 AM · #9
Originally posted by goc:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

What (if anything) is this telling us?


i think that interest for DPC (type of websites) is falling, ... maybe ... huh ?


Dpc will survive, but I begin to think with some member less
11/21/2007 03:18:27 AM · #10
That the challenge ideas were lame? Maybe?

I think Turkey day probably has quite a bit to do with it. Anyone looked back to years past?
11/21/2007 03:19:44 AM · #11
Originally posted by AperturePriority:

I would rather just have a topic presented without any details explaining it.


I'm starting to lean your way on this, except that I think *technical* challenges should be spelled out to get people on the same page.

R.
11/21/2007 03:21:24 AM · #12
Originally posted by fotomann_forever:

That the challenge ideas were lame? Maybe?

I think Turkey day probably has quite a bit to do with it. Anyone looked back to years past?


I thought about that (' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_N.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_N.gif', '/') + 1) . ' heatherd brought it up too) but isn't it a bit early for that effect? Wouldn't that more likely have affected the current challenges, the ones that need to be shot this week?

R.
11/21/2007 03:29:03 AM · #13
Yeah, you do have a point. Unless everyone is having to work OT for Christmas, since gas is so high.
11/21/2007 08:24:25 AM · #14
My opinion on why there are so few entries for the 2 open challenges:

-these are concept challenges, much harder to know what to shoot for them.

-they both seem to require a person, not everyone has access to a model

-we just came off 2 very low scoring challenges. When people are scoring low in a challenge there is less motivation to enter the next one
11/21/2007 08:29:57 AM · #15
I was going to go to the rough part of town and take photos of some gangs for the Street Smart challenge but was too afraid I wouldn't make it back home.
11/21/2007 08:34:07 AM · #16
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

What (if anything) is this telling us?

R.


Maybe the challenge topics have become/or were too vague/not interesting/too discrete to stimulate more people to enter??

Personally, I have been very disappointed in challenge topics the past months.

I think a lot of challenges sound good when you think about them, but in reality they are just not very appealing to the masses.
11/21/2007 08:38:47 AM · #17
Originally posted by fotomann_forever:

Yeah, you do have a point. Unless everyone is having to work OT for Christmas, since gas is so high.


LOL, if you are referring to petrol then I can make you fel better by saying that we are currently paying $7.54 per US gallon of fuel over here at the moment.

how much are you guys paying out of interest?

Its ok, just found it, about $3 per gallon. jeez. thats virtually giving it away!

Message edited by author 2007-11-21 08:41:37.
11/21/2007 08:51:03 AM · #18
Originally posted by Simms:

Originally posted by fotomann_forever:

Yeah, you do have a point. Unless everyone is having to work OT for Christmas, since gas is so high.


LOL, if you are referring to petrol then I can make you fel better by saying that we are currently paying $7.54 per US gallon of fuel over here at the moment.

how much are you guys paying out of interest?

Its ok, just found it, about $3 per gallon. jeez. thats virtually giving it away!


WOW, that is a lot!!! I am paying $3.00 a gallon over here in North Florida...
11/21/2007 08:59:49 AM · #19
how much Liters go in one Gallon? 'cause if I calculate this back to Euro's one gallon will be something like 5.35 euro's.

for one liter of gasoline we pay 1,40 euro's

edit:

found it: 1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters

edit #2: so we pay 5.30 euro for a gallon, about the same :-)

Message edited by author 2007-11-21 09:08:04.
11/21/2007 09:02:18 AM · #20
Originally posted by Puckzzz:

how much Liters go in one Gallon? 'cause if I calculate this back to Euro's one gallon will be something like 5.35 euro's.

for one liter of gasoline we pay 1,40 euro's

edit:

found it: 1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liters


same price here, 1.38 self service 1.40 with service

Message edited by author 2007-11-21 09:02:38.
11/21/2007 09:02:52 AM · #21
IMO, I think several factors may be at play

1. People shopping before the big rush.
2. People having to work longer hours.
3. People still getting use to the time change. (shorter day light)
4. Traveling to see family out of town.
5. Users tired of seeing sequel challenges. (II, III, IV, etc.)


11/21/2007 09:05:15 AM · #22
Certainly a lack of drinkspiration all round...
11/21/2007 09:05:58 AM · #23
Honestly, the reason why I have not been entering challenges, is well my creative side has kind of taken a turn for the worse, and I am having the hardest time thinking of things to enter into the challenges.

I think you are right though swhiddon, all of the things you listed are def. factors of why people are not entering.
11/21/2007 09:08:46 AM · #24
Related thread on the open challenges being discussed (low number of entries) ==> Book and Street Smarts?
11/21/2007 09:10:09 AM · #25
oh and OT: I found book and streetsmart dull subjects :-) and I think the results I see now in the challenge confirm that ;-)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 09/25/2021 07:38:25 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 09/25/2021 07:38:25 PM EDT.