DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Web Site Suggestions >> These DQs are getting out of hand
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 84, (reverse)
AuthorThread
01/22/2004 12:45:25 PM · #1
Having been recently involved in the most recent DQ (which ended up being unDQed), I think we should find a better way to deal with posting the results of a challenge. Maybe this has already been discussed, but here goes:

Why not wait 48 hrs before posting the results? That way, the top photos could be submitted for drug testing prior to everybody viewing the results. The DQs could happen "off-camera", and the winners posted would be the REAL winners.

Aa I have said before, it's a drag to get your ribbon amidst contraversy. Even worse to get bumped up, only to be bumped back down. This way, there would be no contraversy.

Just my 2 cents...
01/22/2004 12:48:23 PM · #2
I just recieved two emails stating that i've been dq'd from the current challenge. Since I don't have anything in the current challenge and I don't think it's possible to have TWO entries, something is obviously wrong here. Two of my old photos from mont's ago have been removed from my profile page as well. What's going on here?
01/22/2004 12:52:31 PM · #3
Originally posted by Rgold:

I just recieved two emails stating that i've been dq'd from the current challenge. Since I don't have anything in the current challenge and I don't think it's possible to have TWO entries, something is obviously wrong here. Two of my old photos from mont's ago have been removed from my profile page as well. What's going on here?


Is that for real? That is strange. Why not send an email to the admins & inquire.

As for the DQ's & suggestions. I think that, while it stinks tog et a ribbon & loose one as you stated, it may be worth while have people see that you will gt busted if you cheat. If everything happens 'behind closed doors" then we cant see that rules are being broken & being applied. I think it may result in more DQ's & more people cheating bc they are not seeing the enforcement of the rules.
01/22/2004 12:52:58 PM · #4
All I'll say is that we are actively pursuing people who violated the rules when submitting to a challenge. As Drew has stated several times now, cheating will not be tolerated on this site, regardless of how long ago the offense occurred.
01/22/2004 12:54:47 PM · #5
Seems to me that these DQs are now getting IN hand - thanks to the Site Council for hanging in there during this rough transition period!
01/22/2004 12:54:52 PM · #6
Originally posted by Rgold:

I just recieved two emails stating that i've been dq'd from the current challenge. Since I don't have anything in the current challenge and I don't think it's possible to have TWO entries, something is obviously wrong here. Two of my old photos from mont's ago have been removed from my profile page as well. What's going on here?


If there was no explanation in your emails, feel free to contact the Admins or Site Council for further explanation.
01/22/2004 12:55:18 PM · #7
Originally posted by Rgold:

I just recieved two emails stating that i've been dq'd from the current challenge. Since I don't have anything in the current challenge and I don't think it's possible to have TWO entries, something is obviously wrong here. Two of my old photos from mont's ago have been removed from my profile page as well. What's going on here?


Ignore the 'current challenge' wording, that's a mistake at our end. The 2 photos you were referring to have found to be illegal and have been accordingly DQd.
01/22/2004 12:57:20 PM · #8
Does anyone know why the latest one was DQed? A matter of not being able to provide proof with the original image file maybe? Certainly didn't look like it was over-manipulated, from what I can recall. Just curious.
01/22/2004 12:58:06 PM · #9
If you cheat you should be seen to have cheated.
Keep it out in the open, no secret sessions.
Just my two penneth.
Paul.
01/22/2004 12:58:22 PM · #10
Originally posted by orussell:

Does anyone know why the latest one was DQed? A matter of not being able to provide proof with the original image file maybe? Certainly didn't look like it was over-manipulated, from what I can recall. Just curious.


From Drew's post, it sounded like the EXIF file was modified to fit challenge submission dates
01/22/2004 12:59:03 PM · #11
Originally posted by Rooster:

Originally posted by orussell:

Does anyone know why the latest one was DQed? A matter of not being able to provide proof with the original image file maybe? Certainly didn't look like it was over-manipulated, from what I can recall. Just curious.


From Drew's post, it sounded like the EXIF file was modified to fit challenge submission dates


This is correct.
01/22/2004 12:59:16 PM · #12
Thanx. Nice to know.
01/22/2004 01:02:58 PM · #13
And how is it, that 6 months after a challenge has ended, and with no one asking me for exif information, did some one suddenly decided that my photo was "illegal"? Even more so.... Who would be going back through old, poorly scoring photos trying to get them dq'd anyway?
01/22/2004 01:03:33 PM · #14
Originally posted by Rgold:

And how is it, that 6 months after a challenge has ended, and with no one asking me for exif information, did some one suddenly decided that my photo was "illegal"? Even more so.... Who would be going back through old, poorly scoring photos trying to get them dq'd anyway?


Me
01/22/2004 01:07:11 PM · #15
Ok me.... Why didn't you just ask me to provide the information before you dq'd them? Or is it at your sole descretion to be judge, jury and executioner?
01/22/2004 01:08:51 PM · #16
Originally posted by Rgold:

Ok me.... Why didn't you just ask me to provide the information before you dq'd them? Or is it at your sole descretion to be judge, jury and executioner?


Didn't need it. I know the photos were submitted to the challenges illegally, and they were DQed. And your most recent offense was only 3 months ago, in the last challenge you submitted to. Are you saying they were not submitted outside the rules for the challenges?
01/22/2004 01:10:44 PM · #17
Personally, I love these DQ's! This is almost as much fun as catching people who lie at the airport. Hee hee! GOTCHA!

Very glad to see that the Admins and Site Council are taking this VERY seriously
01/22/2004 01:11:33 PM · #18
Originally posted by Rgold:

Ok me.... Why didn't you just ask me to provide the information before you dq'd them? Or is it at your sole descretion to be judge, jury and executioner?

The judge, jury, and executioner are a panel of 14 of your fellow site members and 2 administrators. There is no need to request proof when the violation is as clear as it was to us.

Drew

Message edited by author 2004-01-22 14:19:22.
01/22/2004 01:17:33 PM · #19
Got a question? Several weeks ago I had a crash and lost a number of original shots. Several were entered in challenges, obviously no ribbons but am I DQed if you ask for data on some of mine? Not telling, just asking. Van
01/22/2004 01:17:40 PM · #20
Here here to the admins!!!

Now I just got bumped to 5th and now I have to submit my original.. hmmmmmmm... I hope I remember all the steps! ;-)
01/22/2004 01:18:37 PM · #21
Originally posted by vtruan:

Got a question? Several weeks ago I had a crash and lost a number of original shots. Several were entered in challenges, obviously no ribbons but am I DQed if you ask for data on some of mine? Not telling, just asking. Van


No, We can't expect you to keep your images forever. I think we can only ask for them within 7 days of the challenge ending.
01/22/2004 01:19:26 PM · #22
Thanks, just wondering. van
01/22/2004 01:20:25 PM · #23
Originally posted by vtruan:

Got a question? Several weeks ago I had a crash and lost a number of original shots. Several were entered in challenges, obviously no ribbons but am I DQed if you ask for data on some of mine? Not telling, just asking. Van


We generally do not DQ photos older than 1 week, unless we have proof that they are illegal. It is highly unlikely that you will get asked for your original 2 weeks after, and I don't think we will ever ask for your original longer ago than that.*

*Don't quote me if we do though, lol
01/22/2004 01:22:41 PM · #24
Since there has been no response from rgold, I am assuming that the admins called this one correctly. I dont understand the motivation behind the action but how is it obvious that he cheated? Can I ask this question or am I being nosey?

BTW this thread is kinda exciting! Is it wrong that I feel thsi way? :)
01/22/2004 01:23:28 PM · #25
Originally posted by Rooster:

Since there has been no response from rgold, I am assuming that the admins called this one correctly. I dont understand the motivation behind the action but how is it obvious that he cheated? Can I ask this question or am I being nosey?

BTW this thread is kinda exciting! Is it wrong that I feel thsi way? :)


Being too nosey. lol ;)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 02/29/2024 01:13:08 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2024 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Current Server Time: 02/29/2024 01:13:08 PM EST.