DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Web Site Suggestions >> Reading Private Messages?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 52, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/26/2007 09:37:59 AM · #1

Most forum software has somewhere on the main page or login page that says when you have a new private message and a link to go to your PM inbox to read them and reply. I got a e-mail notice that I had a PM and though the message has a link that I can click that lets me reply to that specific message and user, for the life of me I can not find anywhere a link to get to the PM section here on DPC.

Does it exist? If it does, I need some help finding it, because it sure isn't jumping out at me as I look at all the areas and tabs.

Mike

07/26/2007 09:40:47 AM · #2
the pm is in your own mail-box, under the message

"DPChallenge user blabla has sent you the following private message:"
07/26/2007 09:46:53 AM · #3
Yes - the PM arrives to you only as an email. You cannot access them here at the site.
07/26/2007 10:53:11 AM · #4
It's been suggested before and again, it's a great idea.
Why the hell not have an internal PM mailbox accessible insite?
It sucks having to go check email etc. during a PM converstation.

07/26/2007 11:52:24 AM · #5
While I respect the ownership of this site and their rights to run it as they see fit...

I HATE NOT HAVING INTERNAL PM'S!!!!!!!!!! GIVE US INTERNAL PM'S!!!!!! WHERE THE HELL ARE THE INTERNAL PM'S??????

any questions? ;) ::whew:: i feel better now
07/26/2007 11:55:42 AM · #6
Originally posted by rossbilly:

any questions? ;)


Yes, one, why would we want an internal PM mailbox feature when having it delivered to your email is such a superior option?
07/26/2007 12:10:49 PM · #7
I would also prefer a PM system that is internal to the site. My home email is also my work email - for 2 businesses. The mass of DPC-related PMs often get lost among other emails OR worse... work emails get lost among the PMs. Keeping them in separate places would help me a lot.
07/26/2007 12:30:44 PM · #8
I'd much rather PM's be internal too. It might be days between times I check my e-mail, but I'm here daily.
07/26/2007 12:39:15 PM · #9
Muhahahhahahahahahhaha.
If they are internal, does that mean the SC can get access to them?
Muahhaahhahahahahahhaha,
07/26/2007 12:40:04 PM · #10
Originally posted by karmat:

Muhahahhahahahahahhaha.
If they are internal, does that mean the SC can get access to them?
Muahhaahhahahahahahhaha,


ghehe, you wish, huh!

:P
07/26/2007 12:43:40 PM · #11
And when someone tries to give you a more private response to an active thread, the PM often isn't gotten until after the relevance has passed.
If I'm posting, reading responses, reposting, I'm NOT reading my emails, but if a little flash shows me there's a msg here I can respond in a timely fashion.
07/26/2007 12:54:36 PM · #12
that could be done even if pm are not internal.
As the pm is processed by the site, it could trigger an alarm so that you go an check your emails.
07/26/2007 12:57:29 PM · #13
Yes, even that would be VERY helpful :)
07/26/2007 01:01:05 PM · #14
Originally posted by mouten:

that could be done even if pm are not internal.
As the pm is processed by the site, it could trigger an alarm so that you go an check your emails.


An alert that has to be reset each time, unless u want it to only come up once and then there is a chance ull miss it by accident.
07/26/2007 01:11:24 PM · #15
Originally posted by RainMotorsports:


An alert that has to be reset each time, unless u want it to only come up once and then there is a chance ull miss it by accident.


Very true.
07/26/2007 01:14:41 PM · #16
well it could count how many pms you've received today. you could reset it manually on top of that etc. I'm not the website developer, but it seems it could be better than nothing?
07/26/2007 02:15:36 PM · #17
The main reason to have an internal mailbox is that people delete e-mails. Then they remember someone sent them an e-mail and they want to get back to them and they can't remember what the exact user name was or there was information in the e-mail that they want to go look at again, but if the e-mail was deleted, there is no way to do that.

At least it wasn't something I was missing. I hate it when I say I can't find something and then find out it was right in front of me all the time and I was missing it. As you get older, missing things becomes a bit more tramatic than when we are younger. ;D

I guess it's a good thing I don't get a lot of PM's on this site... or wait! Maybe that's why I don't, I never got the e-mail so I didn't know one was sent. Gee, I hope nobody thought I was ignoring them. At least now I have an excuse if I do want to ignore anyone. LOL!

Thanks for the info. I agree, some type of internal mailbox would be benificial.

Mike
07/26/2007 03:53:27 PM · #18
Originally posted by MikeJ:

The main reason to have an internal mailbox is that people delete e-mails. Then they remember someone sent them an e-mail and they want to get back to them and they can't remember what the exact user name was or there was information in the e-mail that they want to go look at again, but if the e-mail was deleted, there is no way to do that.

At least it wasn't something I was missing. I hate it when I say I can't find something and then find out it was right in front of me all the time and I was missing it. As you get older, missing things becomes a bit more tramatic than when we are younger. ;D

I guess it's a good thing I don't get a lot of PM's on this site... or wait! Maybe that's why I don't, I never got the e-mail so I didn't know one was sent. Gee, I hope nobody thought I was ignoring them. At least now I have an excuse if I do want to ignore anyone. LOL!

Thanks for the info. I agree, some type of internal mailbox would be benificial.

Mike


If your not getting PMs then check your spam filters and junk email box. They may be there.
07/26/2007 08:36:42 PM · #19
I have two sets of spam filters (spam gets so bad you have to filter the spam so it doesn't clog up the spam filter), one is at my hosting site that filters my e-mail stream. The second one is on my computer that is further refined to catch those pesky little spam messages that manage to slip past the industrial grade filters. While the spam that is caught on my hosting site is stored for a short period before it's deleted, I'd have to know there was something caught there before I'd go look for it. Chances are if it caught a PM from someone the first time, it would catch their question e-mail on why I hadn't responded to them, as well. So I wouldn't even know I hadn't gotten something.

But, with that said, the above was a dry sense of tounge-in-cheek humor. As far as I know, the PM I got this morning is the first I've gotten while on DPC. If not the first, it's been one of very few. This is one site where I just don't cause a lot of PM's to be generated. Since I feel my obsurity is pretty well intact, I don't suspect I've missed any PM notifacations. ;)

Mike
07/26/2007 08:43:44 PM · #20
Originally posted by idnic:

The mass of DPC-related PMs often get lost among other emails...


Yeah. I don't have that problem.
The 6 PMs since February are really easy for me to keep track of. :-)

07/26/2007 08:45:46 PM · #21
Some potential drawbacks to be considered to on-site delivery of PM's:

- If you wanted to contact someone who was no longer active on the site, a PM would no longer be an option
- If an active user disappeared and you wanted to contact them to see if they were ok, a PM would no longer be an option
- Site Administrators, and potentially Site Council, would have access to your PMs (currently they are coded as a "pass-through" and not stored on the site).

Just some things to consider...

~Terry
07/26/2007 09:00:07 PM · #22
Originally posted by ClubJuggle:

S
- Site Administrators, and potentially Site Council, would have access to your PMs (currently they are coded as a "pass-through" and not stored on the site).

~Terry


Ya'll thought I was kidding, didn't you?

Originally posted by karmat:


Muhahahhahahahahahhaha.
If they are internal, does that mean the SC can get access to them?
Muahhaahhahahahahahhaha,


Message edited by author 2007-07-26 21:04:47.
07/26/2007 10:42:24 PM · #23
Originally posted by karmat:

Ya'll thought I was kidding, didn't you?

I didn't doubt! That "Muhahahhahahahahahhaha" sent shivers up my spine!

=D
07/26/2007 10:53:02 PM · #24
Takes as much trust to believe the current PM's are getting passed through and not logged on the way as it does to believe that they are being stored here and not read. No change for the worse going with a new system.

Contacting an inactive someone - I thought the suggested approach was you still get an email notification of a waiting PM (or given the option to select an email notification at any rate).
07/26/2007 11:56:29 PM · #25
Originally posted by MikeJ:

The main reason to have an internal mailbox is that people delete e-mails. Then they remember someone sent them an e-mail and they want to get back to them and they can't remember what the exact user name was or there was information in the e-mail that they want to go look at again, but if the e-mail was deleted, there is no way to do that.


so are you opting for no way to delete the pm's? What's the difference between deleting an email and never again having access to it and deleting a PM and never again having access to it? Also, I know they wouldn't take up but a few kbs but they would still be taking up space when you consider how many probably go out in one day.

Terry puts out some good points about contacting others, there have been numerous occasions where someone, including me, has PM'd someone to just find out how they were since they hadn't logged on in days and wanted to make sure they were ok. I can see advantages on both sides but don't see the big deal of having it internal.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 10/31/2020 10:26:47 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 10/31/2020 10:26:47 PM EDT.