DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Rant >> Let's keep DPC photography related please!
Pages:  
Showing posts 51 - 75 of 119, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/25/2007 06:26:36 AM · #51
Originally posted by Manic:

Originally posted by MikeOwens:

The truth of the matter is these people are not 'strangers' and that is what make this site special.

The people who are signed into the site may not be strangers, but unless you post to the members-only forum, it'll be publically readable by anyone and everyone on the internet, and likely to be cached in searchengines etc indefinitely as well...


Yes I fully understand how it all works.


07/25/2007 08:27:23 AM · #52
Originally posted by Chiqui:

Everyone wants to tell the world about those things but please don't go into detail about how the episiotomy ripped and you had a bowel movement following the baby (I don't think anyone's actually started such a thread btw)

Well, it's about time someone *did* start a thread about it.
07/25/2007 08:47:01 AM · #53
Originally posted by Chiqui:

The point I'm trying to make is that most people wouldn't just walk up to a group of strangers and pour out their most intimate and personal details just because they need to share. Why do it here?


But those who post the kind of threads you are talking about, don't feel that this is a community of strangers but of support. We as humans, all need communication and support. Sometimes typing on a screen is easier than speaking face to face. So walking up to a group of strangers and posting in a forum are very different. In the forums you are speaking about, I have seen nothing but support for the OPs. You are asking to stop the support system that has been created here. Yes its accessible by the internet, so is everything else. If the OPs of personal information put it out there, that's their choice and you have a choice of not reading it. If you look on the front page of DPC, I'd say 95 to 99% is photography related.

Message edited by author 2007-07-25 08:47:34.
07/25/2007 08:54:10 AM · #54
It really all comes down to why you are here. Im here to waste time and to learn, the messageboards are just something to read. As nice as some of you may be, I really have no urge of having a relationship with anyone here (except smokin hot honeys if im ever single, wakka wakka) other then a professional/educational one. For that reason, I dont care about a lot of the stuff posted.

On the other hand, there are other message boards I post on where I have made life long (in real life) friends that I can count on for anything. So I can see how this becomes an outlet for you to tell your "friends" something all at once. It really is just a matter of what you are looking to get out of this site.

But keep in mind, often throwing your personal business around on the internet can be troublesome, because as stated, you never know who is reading this.

Example - you dont want the IT guy at your company looking at this site cause he sees you are constantly on it, and then proceeding to go through your threads, photos, etc.
07/25/2007 09:45:18 AM · #55
I don't see what's so wrong with someone posting their troubles here. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it, and you can pretty much tell from the subject line of a thread if it's going to be personal problems or not. In that case, just ignore it. Everybody has their own difficulties in life, and for some people, maybe they aren't lucky enough like you or I to have close family or friends who can help them through it. On the other hand, maybe they would rather "talk" about it online in a more anonymous atmosphere with people who are familiar to them, but would rather not bring their whole family into their troubles.

If you really want to "keep DPC photography related", maybe that should include things like birthday threads, but I didn't see any objection to any of those recently. ;-) This site is a plethora of kind people willing to lend a helping hand, be it photography related or otherwise, and is what sets it apart from other sites.

07/25/2007 09:58:23 AM · #56
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

And one last thing, I get Chiqui and Aliqui mixed up. Are they related?


Nope. Clearly, since I'm older, June tried to copy me.

Aliqui = Latin-ish for "someone" or "something"
Chiqui = A banana
07/25/2007 02:18:43 PM · #57
One danger of sharing too much personal info on the net.

"Nerd"
07/25/2007 02:47:30 PM · #58
Originally posted by Chiqui:

please don't go into detail about how the episiotomy ripped and you had a bowel movement following the baby

Once again, I think one of my posts is being singled out. :(
07/25/2007 02:56:16 PM · #59
I agree - and I have said it a few times recently. There is just WAY TOO MUCH personal crap posted here with WAY TOO MANY details of one's personal life that is just not appropriate here. There are thousands of forums that thrive on this sort of drivel, this one is supposed to have a center focus - an ESCAPE from the drivel. We are a community in the sense that we are all participating in the same forum under the guise of a common interest. We are NOT a family in any sense of the word and do not need to know or participate in the discussions that should be left to family and close PERSONAL friends, not anonymous persons on the web. It is the severe influx of this type of forum activity that has really turned me off to participating here in any way. Not to be cold, but when I am trying to learn about and participate in photography (something I obviously need help with) to constantly see the top threads on the front page related to marriage, religion, politics, he/she did this or that to me or she/he left me, etc. just makes this no better than the average crappy message board on the web and quite frankly I only care about your life in the most peripheral sense - we both have camera's and quite possibly I can learn something from or teach something to 'you.'

I do feel better now, but I know nothing will change except my participation level on DPC.
07/25/2007 03:13:49 PM · #60
For what it's worth, I just did a quick tally of the 30 most recent threads on my front page. I don't have any folders hidden. The breakdown of the number of threads by topic was as follows:

"On-topic" photography and challenge-related posts - 23
Social posts - 3
Admin Announcements & Meta-Discussions - 2
Religion & Politics - 1
Personal "life issues" - 1

Are we sure we're not making this into more than it is?

~Terry
07/25/2007 03:20:25 PM · #61
Originally posted by CEJ:

I agree - and I have said it a few times recently. There is just WAY TOO MUCH personal crap posted here with WAY TOO MANY details of one's personal life that is just not appropriate here. There are thousands of forums that thrive on this sort of drivel, this one is supposed to have a center focus - an ESCAPE from the drivel. We are a community in the sense that we are all participating in the same forum under the guise of a common interest. We are NOT a family in any sense of the word and do not need to know or participate in the discussions that should be left to family and close PERSONAL friends, not anonymous persons on the web. It is the severe influx of this type of forum activity that has really turned me off to participating here in any way. Not to be cold, but when I am trying to learn about and participate in photography (something I obviously need help with) to constantly see the top threads on the front page related to marriage, religion, politics, he/she did this or that to me or she/he left me, etc. just makes this no better than the average crappy message board on the web and quite frankly I only care about your life in the most peripheral sense - we both have camera's and quite possibly I can learn something from or teach something to 'you.'

I do feel better now, but I know nothing will change except my participation level on DPC.


Is someone forcing you to read this stuff? If it's a voice in your head, consider professional help. If it's another person, you should call law enforcement. If neither of those apply the solution is simple -Don't read those threads!

Your post comes across as angry and bitter. There are many sites that forbid off-topic forum threads, I find them to be better sources of facts, yet somewhat cold and sterile, perhaps you would feel more at home there.
07/25/2007 03:20:34 PM · #62
I kinda side with Chiqui here.

I don't think she meant that the site should be 100% Photo talk only but I will say that those really heavy, heavy personal stuff threads absolutely make my skin crawl. Too hairy for me and pretty much contrary to what I come here for.

Morbid curiosity, I guess lures me to them (or I just read the OP)...it's almost unavoidable. I split as fast as I can.

Having said that, I don't think I'd tell people to stop posting that type of thread.

Message edited by author 2007-07-25 15:24:13.
07/25/2007 03:21:13 PM · #63
Originally posted by ClubJuggle:

For what it's worth, I just did a quick tally of the 30 most recent threads on my front page. I don't have any folders hidden. The breakdown of the number of threads by topic was as follows:

"On-topic" photography and challenge-related posts - 23
Social posts - 3
Admin Announcements & Meta-Discussions - 2
Religion & Politics - 1
Personal "life issues" - 1

Are we sure we're not making this into more than it is?

~Terry


The molehill becomes a mountain.
07/25/2007 03:21:31 PM · #64
Why not ad another forum section for Personal Problems and Life Issues. SC can monitor post of that nature and move them to the proper thread when need be but for the most part people would select that section in the first place.

For those who do not want to see it, They can block it. Problem not solved but will be not as bad.

I for one do not mind if people use the forums to get things off their minds but I agree that horrid details should be reserved for those who ask.
07/25/2007 03:37:21 PM · #65
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

Why not ad another forum section for Personal Problems and Life Issues. SC can monitor post of that nature and move them to the proper thread when need be but for the most part people would select that section in the first place.

For those who do not want to see it, They can block it. Problem not solved but will be not as bad.

I for one do not mind if people use the forums to get things off their minds but I agree that horrid details should be reserved for those who ask.


Isnt the GENERAL DISCUSSION and RANT forum that essentially though?
07/25/2007 03:44:52 PM · #66
Originally posted by ajdelaware:

Originally posted by Bugzeye:

Why not ad another forum section for Personal Problems and Life Issues. SC can monitor post of that nature and move them to the proper thread when need be but for the most part people would select that section in the first place.

For those who do not want to see it, They can block it. Problem not solved but will be not as bad.

I for one do not mind if people use the forums to get things off their minds but I agree that horrid details should be reserved for those who ask.


Isnt the GENERAL DISCUSSION and RANT forum that essentially though?


Yes and its under OTHER. I believe it was made so that we could talk about the other things in our lives. I love photography but I do have other interest that I have going on. This is starting to sound like we all have to be politically correct (which I think in the most part is crap). One person doesn't like it, then the whole system has to change. Just ignore the threads you don't like to read. Its just as easy as that.
07/25/2007 03:46:39 PM · #67
Originally posted by pawdrix:

Morbid curiosity, I guess lures me to them

BAN MORBID CURIOSITY! :)
07/25/2007 03:59:34 PM · #68
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Originally posted by pawdrix:

Morbid curiosity, I guess lures me to them

BAN MORBID CURIOSITY! :)


But if they did that...what would you do?? And more over, what would we do without you buring villages to keep our curiosity?? LOL!!

Message edited by author 2007-07-25 15:59:50.
07/25/2007 04:10:35 PM · #69
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Originally posted by pawdrix:

Morbid curiosity, I guess lures me to them

BAN MORBID CURIOSITY! :)


And Id also like to see an end to the letter C and have it replaced with the CH. ANYTHING C CAN DO K CAN DO BETTER.
07/25/2007 09:42:49 PM · #70
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

Why not ad another forum section for Personal Problems and Life Issues.


but we already have the General Discussion for non-photography related stuff. members just need to learn to post photography related stuff into the "photography discussion" forum instead. i think it is largely underused.
07/25/2007 11:15:05 PM · #71
Wouldn't this be a cold heartless place if everyone just talked lens filters and photo critique?

DPC is more then that. I think it's a good thing.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a pefect life, or a lot of friends to get advice, or a shoulder to cry on. If DPC can be that place for some people, it's better then the alternative.

I've seen this site donate to causes, help each other when needed, and even run a nation wide man hunt! That's what makes DPC great.

People can get camera info and advice anywhere (though probably not as good!).
07/25/2007 11:19:20 PM · #72
Originally posted by ajdelaware:

And Id also like to see an end to the letter C and have it replaced with the CH. ANYTHING C CAN DO K CAN DO BETTER.


*sigh*

You're obviously still learning the ropes around here. The correct lyrics are:

ANYTHING U CAN DO MK CAN DO BETTER.

Study up. This will be on the test.

~Terry ;-)

Message edited by author 2007-07-25 23:19:41.
07/25/2007 11:23:40 PM · #73
I still say, if a thread bugs ya... well...
' . substr('//www.louissteiner.com/img/ignore.gif', strrpos('//www.louissteiner.com/img/ignore.gif', '/') + 1) . '
07/25/2007 11:35:31 PM · #74
this site does include humans as members dosent it? good rant...
07/25/2007 11:36:28 PM · #75
Originally posted by Louis:

I still say, if a thread bugs ya... well...
' . substr('//www.louissteiner.com/img/ignore.gif', strrpos('//www.louissteiner.com/img/ignore.gif', '/') + 1) . '


I say this thread isnt photography related......
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 06/23/2021 01:18:46 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 06/23/2021 01:18:46 PM EDT.