DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> still life III
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 33, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/22/2007 04:25:21 AM · #1
take a look at this for inspiration.

still life
07/22/2007 08:59:31 AM · #2
Where are Still Life I & II? I go to challenge history, press f3, and nothing happens.
07/22/2007 09:03:51 AM · #3
Only for you ragamuffin :-)

Still Life II

Still Life

07/22/2007 04:28:46 PM · #4
Just curious... is this still life as in something that represents something to do with life in a still image?

I keep thinking if I take what I see as a still life image, it might get alot of comments saying something like "does not meet challenge, it's not even alive!".

Or do I just not have enough faith in the voters?
07/22/2007 04:31:45 PM · #5
Originally posted by Atropos:

Just curious... is this still life as in something that represents something to do with life in a still image?

I keep thinking if I take what I see as a still life image, it might get alot of comments saying something like "does not meet challenge, it's not even alive!".

Or do I just not have enough faith in the voters?


compositions with objects.
07/22/2007 04:34:35 PM · #6
Oh. So, any photo ever taken. Sweet, thanks.
07/22/2007 04:52:39 PM · #7
Originally posted by Atropos:

Oh. So, any photo ever taken. Sweet, thanks.


not any photo. still life often is studio photography. hence you need lights, composition and technical perfection and a great idea :)
07/22/2007 05:07:28 PM · #8
a still life is an arrangement of objects, usually in a studio. the artist needs to arrange them, they cannot just be found. that would be found objects. there must be the obvious effects of your arranging them, the objects should be influenced by the artist. usually a still life does not contain living things (except for plants), frequently contain dead things, but these rules can be broken. the only true rule with a still life is that you must arrange it.

does that make sense?
07/22/2007 05:15:56 PM · #9
Yes that makes alot more sense, thanks.
07/22/2007 05:21:17 PM · #10
some examples

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/72/thumb/13363.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/72/thumb/13363.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/27/thumb/4114.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/27/thumb/4114.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/35/thumb/6663.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/35/thumb/6663.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/41/thumb/7973.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/41/thumb/7973.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/41/thumb/8153.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/41/thumb/8153.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/59/thumb/11204.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/59/thumb/11204.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/76/thumb/14720.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/76/thumb/14720.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/99/thumb/22239.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/99/thumb/22239.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

there are others, lovely ones, but i can't find them, and i have to make supper now...
07/22/2007 05:44:27 PM · #11
Originally posted by xianart:

some examples

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/72/thumb/13363.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/72/thumb/13363.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/27/thumb/4114.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/27/thumb/4114.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/35/thumb/6663.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/35/thumb/6663.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/41/thumb/7973.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/41/thumb/7973.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/41/thumb/8153.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/41/thumb/8153.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/59/thumb/11204.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/59/thumb/11204.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/76/thumb/14720.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/76/thumb/14720.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' . ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/99/thumb/22239.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/99/thumb/22239.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

there are others, lovely ones, but i can't find them, and i have to make supper now...


...perhaps someone too much confused :)
07/22/2007 05:49:08 PM · #12
Originally posted by Rino63:

...perhaps someone too much confused :)


?
07/22/2007 05:52:02 PM · #13
Originally posted by xianart:

Originally posted by Rino63:

...perhaps someone too much confused :)


?


I think that there are too much elements in the photos. perhaps i like too minimalist still lifes :)
07/22/2007 06:06:23 PM · #14
the ones i showed are traditionally composed still lifes. a still life can consist of two objects...
07/22/2007 06:18:09 PM · #15
Originally posted by xianart:

the ones i showed are traditionally composed still lifes. a still life can consist of two objects...


I think that the best composition is with 2 or 3 objects. If there are too object often someone is distracting. But obiously every image is different.
07/22/2007 06:19:25 PM · #16
Originally posted by xianart:

a still life is an arrangement of objects, usually in a studio. the artist needs to arrange them, they cannot just be found. that would be found objects. there must be the obvious effects of your arranging them, the objects should be influenced by the artist. usually a still life does not contain living things (except for plants), frequently contain dead things, but these rules can be broken. the only true rule with a still life is that you must arrange it.

does that make sense?


But of course those rules are open to a artists interpretation, and you know artists they rarely if ever follow rules.. :p
07/22/2007 06:21:30 PM · #17
one can also think of the historical uses of still lifes. in ancient rome, they were memento morii - reminders of death - both on the 'eat, drink, for tomorrow we die' side, and a reminder not to become too proud.

frequently, in renaissance still lifes, you will see rotting fruit, a fly, or a dead animal, serving as a similar device.
07/22/2007 06:27:29 PM · #18
the still lifes are son of their time. I like the classical still lifes but there are very good works in every time. For personal inclination I rate always with very high votes images with classical construction. This is probably an error but It's a mine idea that a great light with an old book and some other things is better that glass and paper.

the strange thing is that I am in with a modern image :)

Message edited by author 2007-07-22 18:29:42.
07/23/2007 07:54:16 AM · #19
Some of those examples are stunning but they scored 4.9-5.9? My image in Still Life III is quite basic compared to these. Hmm, how to add a wow factor w/o much time left...
07/23/2007 11:06:17 AM · #20
Originally posted by xianart:

the ones i showed are traditionally composed still lifes. a still life can consist of two objects...


The winner of the last Still Life consisted of one object, unless you count all those push pins.
07/23/2007 11:23:58 AM · #21
Still Life III
Challenge Details: N/A

I suppose N/A, by reading this thread, means strictly follow the rules of art history and working hard to compose your entry to look like a renaissance cluster of objects. For too many voters this week, anything but a classical painting "Still Life" will be slapped with a DNMC and voted down.

Seems pretty B/W to me: Details are "Not Applicable"! For all you renaissance wannabes, try voting up the folks who read N/A as meaning "use your 21st century imagination" rather than "fit inside the 15th century art history box".

Personal note: I'm a big fan of renaissance art and the whole classic genre of "Still Life" painting. I'm just not a big fan of literalist DPC voters, especially when the challenge details clearly allow for as much wiggly room as you can imagine and still have it be "still".

07/23/2007 12:42:25 PM · #22
p.s. - i was in no ways implying that the works have to be retrograde, cod-renaissance works. it's possible to have a consideration oof history and still produce modern, or post-modern, work.
07/23/2007 07:24:48 PM · #23
Originally posted by charliebaker:

I'm just not a big fan of literalist DPC voters, especially when the challenge details clearly allow for as much wiggly room as you can imagine and still have it be "still".


AMEN
07/24/2007 11:40:29 AM · #24
Submissions: 154

will be 250?
07/24/2007 12:17:34 PM · #25
Well, this thread successfully erased any preconception I had about how my entry might do. Now I'm just confused again.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 10/22/2019 02:31:45 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 10/22/2019 02:31:45 PM EDT.