DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Results >> Double Take Double Take Scores
Pages:  
Showing posts 126 - 150 of 170, (reverse)
AuthorThread
06/05/2007 09:27:58 AM · #126
Originally posted by smurfguy:


That, or your shot really does suck... =D


Most likely just overwhelmingly average with a hue of suck. :-)
06/05/2007 11:30:46 AM · #127
Watch out...the "one" voter is currently on the prowl. I just dropped .0790 in a single vote. Dropped me from my 2nd highest ever down to 3rd.

This time yesterday, I had the highest I've ever seen my score and I was getting excited. My excitement has been greatly tempered.
06/05/2007 11:35:16 AM · #128
Votes: 62
Views: 92
Avg Vote: 4.3226
Comments: 0
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 06/05/07 11:31 am
Status: Your submission has been validated, thank you.

Heh I figured people didn't think this was a valid entry, hence the low score I suppose.

I really like it though prolly just cause I was experimenting and finally succeeded :D
06/05/2007 11:36:15 AM · #129
Went from a 6.00 to a 5.93 in 3 votes.

Originally posted by larryslights:

Watch out...the "one" voter is currently on the prowl. I just dropped .0790 in a single vote. Dropped me from my 2nd highest ever down to 3rd.

This time yesterday, I had the highest I've ever seen my score and I was getting excited. My excitement has been greatly tempered.
06/05/2007 11:41:28 AM · #130
Originally posted by scalvert:

Originally posted by Hot_Pixel:

This is the scale I work with this is for my personal actual average score and not a voting scale so please do not flame.


FWIW, I changed my own voting scale recently after I finally recognized what someone (' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Brad or ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Graphicfunk) pointed out before. If you think a photo is great and give it a score of 8, then it could actually drag DOWN a photo scoring over 8. Likewise, if you think a shot is above average and give it a 6, then it would drag down a 6+ score. For that reason, I've been trying to vote one notch higher than I normally would just to make sure I pull in the "right" direction. I suppose the same would be true of the low end, but I see no reason to futher punish an already-awful score by lowering my vote a notch.


i have been thinking about this too. i have goten some nice comments that said they gave me a 6. then i thought "i'm glad you liked it but you brought my score down"
06/05/2007 11:44:40 AM · #131
I've gone from a 7 to a 5.8...Today alone I have dropped .8
This is depressing
06/05/2007 11:59:46 AM · #132
Hehe, predicted a 5.2 so I wasn´t too far off :)

Votes: 67
Views: 127
Avg Vote: 4.7015
Comments: 5
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
06/05/2007 05:20:52 PM · #133
Votes: 61
Views: 95
Avg Vote: 4.9508
Comments: 0

Didn't think this shot would do well.
06/05/2007 05:25:46 PM · #134
I think ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' stdavidson has a great approach that I have decided to follow very recently (last 5 or so challenges). Treat scores like grades in school.

A 10 is perfect - no comment that could improve
9 is an A
8 is a B
7 is a C
6 is a D
5 and below are various levels of poorer quality.

I really feel that the majority of images on the site are outstanding and should be rated as such. Yes, it is a competition, but if the image is well taken, very emotive, says something or is just plain crazy good, the score I give will reflect it. I may vote down a little for not meeting challenge, but that is purely secondary.

My scoring average was about 5.5 before I changed approaches, and already I am up to 5.8. I think we can all give each other a little love...

Originally posted by Elvis_L:

Originally posted by scalvert:

Originally posted by Hot_Pixel:

This is the scale I work with this is for my personal actual average score and not a voting scale so please do not flame.


FWIW, I changed my own voting scale recently after I finally recognized what someone (' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Brad or ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Graphicfunk) pointed out before. If you think a photo is great and give it a score of 8, then it could actually drag DOWN a photo scoring over 8. Likewise, if you think a shot is above average and give it a 6, then it would drag down a 6+ score. For that reason, I've been trying to vote one notch higher than I normally would just to make sure I pull in the "right" direction. I suppose the same would be true of the low end, but I see no reason to futher punish an already-awful score by lowering my vote a notch.


i have been thinking about this too. i have goten some nice comments that said they gave me a 6. then i thought "i'm glad you liked it but you brought my score down"


Message edited by author 2007-06-05 17:27:04.
06/05/2007 05:37:23 PM · #135
Originally posted by pccjrose:


A 10 is perfect - no comment that could improve
9 is an A
8 is a B
7 is a C
6 is a D
5 and below are various levels of poorer quality.


With an average under five, that stings a bit. To be rated at an average in a failing grade.
06/05/2007 07:50:02 PM · #136
So Pccjrose your Avg Vote Cast: 5.7993. That is a F+ so you think half of the image in the challenge of the club got a F rating.
2nd point: Top 1000 photographs in this club don't have an average of A or B+.
There are 13 B's, 22 B- and 70 C+ of the top 1000 photographs.
if use system the site counsil should throw out 1,2 and 3 because there are too many F(5, 4, 3, 2, and 1) or
A better scale for like grade in school is:

10 is an A+
9 is an A
8 is a B+
7 is a B
6 is a C+
5 is a C
4 is a D+
3 is a D
2 is a F+
1 is a F

the average of 5.5 make sense.

Originally posted by pccjrose:

I think ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' stdavidson has a great approach that I have decided to follow very recently (last 5 or so challenges). Treat scores like grades in school.

A 10 is perfect - no comment that could improve
9 is an A
8 is a B
7 is a C
6 is a D
5 and below are various levels of poorer quality.

I really feel that the majority of images on the site are outstanding and should be rated as such. Yes, it is a competition, but if the image is well taken, very emotive, says something or is just plain crazy good, the score I give will reflect it. I may vote down a little for not meeting challenge, but that is purely secondary.

My scoring average was about 5.5 before I changed approaches, and already I am up to 5.8. I think we can all give each other a little love...

Originally posted by Elvis_L:

Originally posted by scalvert:

Originally posted by Hot_Pixel:

This is the scale I work with this is for my personal actual average score and not a voting scale so please do not flame.


FWIW, I changed my own voting scale recently after I finally recognized what someone (' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Brad or ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Graphicfunk) pointed out before. If you think a photo is great and give it a score of 8, then it could actually drag DOWN a photo scoring over 8. Likewise, if you think a shot is above average and give it a 6, then it would drag down a 6+ score. For that reason, I've been trying to vote one notch higher than I normally would just to make sure I pull in the "right" direction. I suppose the same would be true of the low end, but I see no reason to futher punish an already-awful score by lowering my vote a notch.


i have been thinking about this too. i have goten some nice comments that said they gave me a 6. then i thought "i'm glad you liked it but you brought my score down"
06/05/2007 08:33:49 PM · #137
Votes: 73
Views: 95
Avg Vote: 5.5890
Comments: 0

73 votes and no comments....hmmm...pretty darn "average" score, must be the reason for no comments, huh?!!! Did start out high but took a slow decline
06/05/2007 08:47:56 PM · #138
' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' Whiterook - Like I said in my message - I have recently (in the last 5 or so challenges) changed my voting style. I think a jump of almost 0.3 on my overall average voting score with over 21000 votes cast in that amount of challenges (probably less than 1500 votes) tells the tail. I am consistently rating images much higher with my average score much closer to 7 and not 5

Everyone is free to vote any way they choose, I am just suggesting a way that I recently adopted that I am happy with...

Originally posted by whiterook:

So Pccjrose your Avg Vote Cast: 5.7993. That is a F+ so you think half of the image in the challenge of the club got a F rating

2nd point: Top 1000 photographs in this club don't have an average of A or B+.
There are 13 B's, 22 B- and 70 C+ of the top 1000 photographs.
if use system the site counsil should throw out 1,2 and 3 because there are too many F(5, 4, 3, 2, and 1) or


This is not at all what I am saying...I specifically said in the message below that I thought the images on the site were very good and that we should give some love and rate images with more respect - i.e. higher ratings.

Next time, I would recommend that you read the whole message....

Message edited by author 2007-06-05 21:07:26.
06/05/2007 09:07:58 PM · #139
Votes: 75
Views: 114
Avg Vote: 6.2667
Comments: 3
06/05/2007 09:27:39 PM · #140
Originally posted by larryslights:

Watch out...the "one" voter is currently on the prowl. I just dropped .0790 in a single vote. Dropped me from my 2nd highest ever down to 3rd.

This time yesterday, I had the highest I've ever seen my score and I was getting excited. My excitement has been greatly tempered.


Another .0146 drop and I'll be down to my 4th best.

A full 0.25 down from this time last night.

Anyone have a parachute they want to lend me?

Message edited by author 2007-06-05 21:29:26.
06/05/2007 09:29:04 PM · #141
Originally posted by larryslights:

Originally posted by larryslights:

Watch out...the "one" voter is currently on the prowl. I just dropped .0790 in a single vote. Dropped me from my 2nd highest ever down to 3rd.

This time yesterday, I had the highest I've ever seen my score and I was getting excited. My excitement has been greatly tempered.


Another .0146 drop and I'll be down to my 4th best.

Anyone have a parachute they want to lend me?


Got me too! That wasn't very nice. :/
06/05/2007 09:34:41 PM · #142
Originally posted by larryslights:

Originally posted by larryslights:

Watch out...the "one" voter is currently on the prowl. I just dropped .0790 in a single vote. Dropped me from my 2nd highest ever down to 3rd.

This time yesterday, I had the highest I've ever seen my score and I was getting excited. My excitement has been greatly tempered.


Another .0146 drop and I'll be down to my 4th best.

A full 0.25 down from this time last night.

Anyone have a parachute they want to lend me?


And thank you to whoever just dropped the 3 on me. Now it's there!
06/05/2007 11:14:46 PM · #143
How can you tell what you're getting?
06/05/2007 11:16:50 PM · #144
Originally posted by brighteyes:

How can you tell what you're getting?


should be listed on the left on your homepage. hit 'update'. (assuming you entered the challenge of course!)
06/05/2007 11:18:41 PM · #145
Originally posted by saintaugust:

Originally posted by brighteyes:

How can you tell what you're getting?


should be listed on the left on your homepage. hit 'update'. (assuming you entered the challenge of course!)


... and make sure you've got your preference set to show scores.
06/06/2007 11:42:05 AM · #146
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/thumb/527855.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/thumb/527855.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
06/06/2007 01:23:53 PM · #147
Votes: 77
Views: 107
Avg Vote: 5.2987
Comments: 1
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0

If a photo is so good it does not receive more than 1 comment, why is it voting so low.
06/06/2007 01:28:18 PM · #148
Originally posted by idnic:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/thumb/527855.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/15266/thumb/527855.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


Where can I buy one of those buttons? :)
06/06/2007 03:41:11 PM · #149
Originally posted by hywind:

Votes: 77
Views: 107
Avg Vote: 5.2987
Comments: 1
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0

If a photo is so good it does not receive more than 1 comment, why is it voting so low.


I have one that has no comments and it has a lower vote.
06/06/2007 09:23:32 PM · #150
Votes: 86
Views: 127
Avg Vote: 6.5000
Comments: 3
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 07/19/2019 08:48:06 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 07/19/2019 08:48:06 PM EDT.