DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Web Site Suggestions >> Time to up the number of challenges?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 22 of 22, (reverse)
AuthorThread
05/24/2007 06:52:51 AM · #1
Seems the implementation of the DPL has spurred a rash of submissions - to the extent voting is an overwhelming task, especially if vote 100% and you want to comment along the way. Perhaps it's time to consider two member challenges per week (555 entries this week tops some Free Studies!) and possibly three open challenges per week.

One of the negative aspects is trying to find enough topics for that many challenges, and to keep them so that everyone doesn't flock to one choice. Perhaps consider pairing a philosophical/theme challenge with a technical one? Or have the same topic, but two challenges, and a random number generator to decide whether your entry goes into Pool A or Pool B at the time of submission.

Other ideas?
05/24/2007 07:07:42 AM · #2
Originally posted by Melethia:

Seems the implementation of the DPL has spurred a rash of submissions - to the extent voting is an overwhelming task, especially if vote 100% and you want to comment along the way. Perhaps it's time to consider two member challenges per week (555 entries this week tops some Free Studies!) and possibly three open challenges per week.

One of the negative aspects is trying to find enough topics for that many challenges, and to keep them so that everyone doesn't flock to one choice. Perhaps consider pairing a philosophical/theme challenge with a technical one? Or have the same topic, but two challenges, and a random number generator to decide whether your entry goes into Pool A or Pool B at the time of submission.

Other ideas?


I don't understand how this helps with voting? It still means I have to vote on a lot of images but that they are just spread out over more challenges.

My feeling is we have plenty of challenges.
05/24/2007 07:26:08 AM · #3
Originally posted by tooohip:



I don't understand how this helps with voting? It still means I have to vote on a lot of images but that they are just spread out over more challenges.

My feeling is we have plenty of challenges.

If there were two member challenges, I'd only vote one - I do vote 100% and try to comment at least 10-20% when I can. I hate to only vote part of a challenge, which may be the way it will have to be if they stay this big from now on. It's simply a matter of availble time and to some extent, saturation level from viewing so many pictures with the same theme.
05/24/2007 07:28:46 AM · #4
Originally posted by Melethia:

[If there were two member challenges, I'd only vote one - I do vote 100% and try to comment at least 10-20% when I can. I hate to only vote part of a challenge, which may be the way it will have to be if they stay this big from now on. It's simply a matter of availble time and to some extent, saturation level from viewing so many pictures with the same theme.


As the DPL is set now, any additional challenges besides the 3 currently scheduled would not be used for DPL play(Free Studies and speed challenges do not count) so it would not change the high number of entries due to the fact that those 3 would still have all of the DPL players entering them.

MattO
05/24/2007 07:30:51 AM · #5
Originally posted by Melethia:


If there were two member challenges, I'd only vote one - I do vote 100% and try to comment at least 10-20% when I can. I hate to only vote part of a challenge, which may be the way it will have to be if they stay this big from now on. It's simply a matter of availble time and to some extent, saturation level from viewing so many pictures with the same theme.


That makes sense, however for those of us who try to vote on all images, it doesn't make a difference either way.

I wonder how many would vote on all images with more challenges, or just vote one or the other? I wonder which one they would vote on then? Would they vote on the challenge they have entered, or on the other?

Just curiosities on my part...
05/24/2007 07:31:23 AM · #6
Originally posted by MattO:


As the DPL is set now, any additional challenges besides the 3 currently scheduled would not be used for DPL play(Free Studies and speed challenges do not count) so it would not change the high number of entries due to the fact that those 3 would still have all of the DPL players entering them.

MattO


That could easily be changed.
05/24/2007 07:44:50 AM · #7
I think the number of challenges is fine the way it is... and i'm just guessing, but the large number of entries is most likely due to

a) DPL encouraging people to enter (sure worked for me)
b) Selective desat is a very easy topic to come up with an entry for
05/24/2007 07:44:53 AM · #8
I vote on the one I'm in, but there are a lot of people who DON'T vote on a challenge if they've entered it. If that's the case, two member challenges (exclusive) would perhaps increase the votes overall - those that don't vote a challenge they are in will vote the other one. As it is now, members who don't vote challenges they enter don't vote member challenges at all, and registered users can't vote in those either.
05/24/2007 07:58:47 AM · #9
There are two open challenges. Why not have two member challenges? Have the member challenge also be exclusive - you can enter one but not both.

Message edited by author 2007-05-24 07:59:03.
05/24/2007 08:02:07 AM · #10
I feel there is too much going on as it is. Add me to the "don't change a thing" crowd...
05/24/2007 08:48:25 AM · #11
I think I would be in the this is a good change crowd. I would love to have two member challenges a week. sometimes it's hard to find an idea to fit the member challenge of the week, and the open challenges don't really allow for much editing to be done.
05/24/2007 09:28:37 AM · #12
I'm with ya Deb. I agree it's easier to vote on two 300 shot challenges than a single 600 shot challenge, or at least it feels more is accomplished. It also allows voting on a more finite number that may better reflect talent. By the time ya get to the end of 600 votes I believe people realy don't care as much anymore. AND for those who really think getting a ribbon is sooooo important, it doubles your chance. I think voting would be more balanced and the voting based on DPL winning may, and I say again "may" be slightly diminished. We can also learn more from the best photogs with more options, subjects and techniques. Heck let them all count for DPL, no big deal, this is for fun anyway. I'm with ya on this one ;)
05/24/2007 09:32:19 AM · #13
Originally posted by PhantomEWO:

I'm with ya Deb. I agree it's easier to vote on two 300 shot challenges than a single 600 shot challenge, or at least it feels more is accomplished.


To an extent its true but lets say you take a would be 600 entry challenge and make two member challenges out of it.

- In an exclusive memebr challenge split sure two 300 entry challenges.

- If its non exclusive then you might end up with a 450 and a 300 entry challenge. Two non exclusive challenges will generate a few mor entries, but not too many more.

See the minor problem with the idea? Making two memebr challenges and have them like the opens would help keep entries from increasing over what they would be if you can enter both.

Message edited by author 2007-05-24 09:33:19.
05/24/2007 09:34:17 AM · #14
Give it a month... some people will be out of the running in the DPL due to losses and they will quit entering the challenges... remember, there were an obcene number of entries when the WPL was going on as well but it petered off... maybe give it two months LOL
05/24/2007 09:38:00 AM · #15
Yeah, Rain, I'm advocating exclusive member challenges - you enter one or the other but not both. That way you hopefully split up those 550 entries into a more manageable size.
05/24/2007 09:38:00 AM · #16
I was looking at how many entries we had this week in just the members and two exclusive open challenges. A total of 1261 entries, an average of 420 per challenge, and thats great. I looked back and I'm finding it hard to see a week where there were that many entries in just the members and exclusive challenges. I'm personally glad to see all the participation.

05/24/2007 09:45:08 AM · #17
I believe there should be 2 different Member challenges on the go just as there are 2 Open challenges. The guys picking the topics should avoid a situation as sometimes happens where 80% of entrants go for the less specific (or tricky) topic. Things like "Cultural Events" unfortunately will be less popular than the other option, purely because there is not a cultural event happening near everyone in that week.

Splitting the same Member challenge into 2 groups (A and B) is not a great idea in my opinion.

If the DPL is having the effect of getting people off the couch, then the SC must monitor this seriously and if it is sustained, then act.
05/24/2007 09:51:31 AM · #18
Another idea for big 600+ challenges is to have 2 tiers of voting. For 5 days say, the voters vote on the entire set. At the end of the 5 days, the top 50 images go into the finals where people can vote or tweak their past vote once they see the other top entries. Just a thought...
05/24/2007 09:54:00 AM · #19
I agree on the two member challenges, but only being able to enter one or the other like in the Open. My reasoning is as some have said, firstly it will give us a better chance at being able to shoot something if one topic is not possible, and secondly it will alleviate having to vote on so many pictures of one subject which becomes boring after the first 300 and I am sure affects people's voting. Also it may cut down on the number of substandard pictures that people shoot just to have an entry in. JMHO

05/24/2007 09:56:09 AM · #20
Originally posted by craigester:

Another idea for big 600+ challenges is to have 2 tiers of voting. For 5 days say, the voters vote on the entire set. At the end of the 5 days, the top 50 images go into the finals where people can vote or tweak their past vote once they see the other top entries. Just a thought...


I dont think this will work because it is hard enough for us to vote on 500+ entries in 7 days let alone 5 and a lot of people will go back and tweek their votes right up to the last minute.

05/24/2007 10:04:35 AM · #21
Originally posted by loriprophoto:

I agree on the two member challenges, but only being able to enter one or the other like in the Open. My reasoning is as some have said, firstly it will give us a better chance at being able to shoot something if one topic is not possible, and secondly it will alleviate having to vote on so many pictures of one subject which becomes boring after the first 300 and I am sure affects people's voting. Also it may cut down on the number of substandard pictures that people shoot just to have an entry in. JMHO


No need to add my 2cents as you summed up my opinion on the subject.
05/24/2007 10:53:19 AM · #22
Originally posted by loriprophoto:

I agree on the two member challenges, but only being able to enter one or the other like in the Open. My reasoning is as some have said, firstly it will give us a better chance at being able to shoot something if one topic is not possible, and secondly it will alleviate having to vote on so many pictures of one subject which becomes boring after the first 300 and I am sure affects people's voting. Also it may cut down on the number of substandard pictures that people shoot just to have an entry in. JMHO


There is no need to force yourself to vote for all the images if you are bored after the first 300. 20% is acceptable.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/06/2023 08:06:08 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2023 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Current Server Time: 12/06/2023 08:06:08 PM EST.