DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Cameras for Children??
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 20 of 20, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/04/2003 09:14:42 PM · #1
My oldest son is almost 3 and loves taking pictures with the digital camera. We usually hold the camera, but let him point it and push the button he likes looking at the picture right after he takes it. I haven't seen anything like this, but I was wondering is there anything out there that we could let him use with a bit less trepidation??

Suggestions...


12/04/2003 09:19:37 PM · #2
Instant gratification is good. Try using a non-digital camera and the kids get really upset that there's no picture in the back .lol.

Most really low priced cameras don't have a screen in the back for them to look at right after taking the picture.
12/04/2003 09:33:59 PM · #3
My son is the same way! Hes got a lot of play old little cameras but he wants to look through mine! Last year I looked at ToysRus and they had a miniture digital camera for about $ 45 it was a replica of my first digital or looked like it a samsung. I have seen advertised small cameras on the net that are palm size small. Try looking at toy stores you might have luck for first time cameras for kids.
12/04/2003 09:42:40 PM · #4
I found some hp's that were 79$ at staples, (cnd.) it was refurbished. 2.1 megapixels
12/04/2003 09:47:24 PM · #5
Originally posted by tolovemoon:

My son is the same way! Hes got a lot of play old little cameras but he wants to look through mine! Last year I looked at ToysRus and they had a miniture digital camera for about $ 45 it was a replica of my first digital or looked like it a samsung. I have seen advertised small cameras on the net that are palm size small. Try looking at toy stores you might have luck for first time cameras for kids.


They have a "Barbie" or "Hot Wheels" one made for kids there, but no screen.
12/04/2003 09:53:58 PM · #6
While not a digital camera, how about giving your son a polaroid camera?
12/04/2003 10:06:31 PM · #7
Hi Spaz. I did a quick search and found these:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Hope they help.
12/04/2003 10:12:20 PM · #8
Originally posted by spoons:

While not a digital camera, how about giving your son a polaroid camera?


If not a regular polaroid, you may want to check out the "izone" polaroids cameras that make those tiny stickers directly from the camera.

He can stick pictures that he takes in a scrapbook or something. Could be great family fun.

Also the "JamCam" is really durable. The body is reinforced with a rubberized cladding covering the camera.Perfect for kids.

Message edited by author 2003-12-04 22:15:33.
12/04/2003 11:02:18 PM · #9
You might also try finding a discontinued model, like the Fuji A101. I got one for Isaac, but he really wanted to move up to a zoom lens (he's 6) and outgrew it, but it takes darned good pictures for a fixed-focus, 1.3mp camera (takes SmartMedia cards) -- it was around $100 also.
12/05/2003 08:47:43 AM · #10
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It's not going to be a present for Christmas, but for his birthday in March, so the search goes on. ZYou have given me some greeat starting points and ideas.

We have one of the Polaroids, but the film gets expensive fast. He can use a whole roll in minutes. The pictures are funny and he enjoys them, but he'll take them as fast as the camera is loaded. Plus, he likes it when Daddy pulls up pictures on the computer.
12/05/2003 09:17:10 AM · #11
Does anyone have experience with the little I-Zone Digital/Film combo? I'm looking for my kiddos - we bought one of those really cheap (320x240) Polaroid digitals a couple years ago, but the quality was really the pits. This one says it's got a 640x480 res and they could also use the sticky or pocket instant film. They're all over eBay and can be picked up pretty cheap. Any thoughts?
12/05/2003 09:22:14 AM · #12
Originally posted by kaycee:

Does anyone have experience with the little I-Zone Digital/Film combo? I'm looking for my kiddos - we bought one of those really cheap (320x240) Polaroid digitals a couple years ago, but the quality was really the pits. This one says it's got a 640x480 res and they could also use the sticky or pocket instant film. They're all over eBay and can be picked up pretty cheap. Any thoughts?


I was just reading about it here

Link


12/05/2003 09:27:22 AM · #13
Thanks! That looks like a resounding "no-go" to me! Maybe I'll just let 'em use my old eBay digital Polaroid. It at least has a screen on back!
12/05/2003 10:33:05 AM · #14
My son will be two in January, and when anyone takes his picture, he runs over and says, "See." The look on their faces is hilarious.

We have a little digital camera (got it free for sitting through one of those time share things) that we are going to give him for Christmas. Doesn't matter that quality is bad, he turns it the wrong way (lens on his nose) anyway. He just likes "takin' peektures" Heck, he likes using the tripod, too, even if there isn't a camera on it!

snapshot of future photographer
12/05/2003 11:12:37 AM · #15
Originally posted by karmat:

My son will be two in January, and when anyone takes his picture, he runs over and says, "See." The look on their faces is hilarious.

We have a little digital camera (got it free for sitting through one of those time share things) that we are going to give him for Christmas. Doesn't matter that quality is bad, he turns it the wrong way (lens on his nose) anyway. He just likes "takin' peektures" Heck, he likes using the tripod, too, even if there isn't a camera on it!

snapshot of future photographer

He looks like quite the professional to me ...
12/05/2003 01:46:30 PM · #16
guess it is never too early to start.
just want to say that it's great that the kids are into the cameras.

too cute! :o)
12/05/2003 04:58:34 PM · #17
Isaac trying to get a picture of the Lunar eclipse last May.
Isaac Shoots the Moon
' . substr('//www.pbase.com/image/16825269/small.jpg', strrpos('//www.pbase.com/image/16825269/small.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
12/05/2003 05:19:54 PM · #18
Sony U10/U20 are pretty much point and shoot with a (very small) screen on the back. I don't know about other countries, but their prices have come down drastically in South Africa over the past year. The improvement in our currency may have something to do with that though.
12/09/2003 10:01:00 PM · #19
I actually got my 3 1/2 year old an olympus for about $150. He is actually a pretty good photographer and loves taking pictures and seeing them. My main criterion was that he could operate it himself. This one has a clamshell cover and it just turns on when he opens it. The shutter button is also very logically placed. So he can just pick it up, take pictures, and turn it back off again himself. Also fits well in his hands.

This is one he took, albeit with my 5050.
' . substr('//www.orourkelabs.com/2003/october/october-Thumbnails/16.jpg', strrpos('//www.orourkelabs.com/2003/october/october-Thumbnails/16.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Message edited by author 2003-12-09 22:04:59.
12/09/2003 10:20:39 PM · #20
my little boy uses an Argus DC 1500 for shcool field trips and he uses my Fuji 2600 Zoom when we go places together.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/11/2019 09:40:22 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/11/2019 09:40:22 AM EST.