DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> How not to start your day!
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 32, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/28/2007 09:51:59 PM · #1
Here's how I started mine today. I was halfway to work, stopped for a school bus picking up some kids, when I saw a silver flash in my rear view mirror. Before I could react a Toyota RAV4 had slammed into me.
477356.jpg 477355.jpg
The driver was reaching for a cigarette and didnít see me or the school bus stopped and never touched her brakes. After spending four hours in the ER they let me go. Iím sore and stiff but I walked away and so did the other driver.

I'm trying to look on the bright side, maybe itís good that I was there because If I wasnít it would have been the school bus that she hit.
02/28/2007 09:57:10 PM · #2
damn!
02/28/2007 09:58:19 PM · #3
oooo thats tough. but I would agree. as long everyone is ok, it might be for the best that it wasn't a school bus that was hit. none the less that stinks. at least it is more likely to go up rather then down from here.
02/28/2007 09:58:57 PM · #4
well
your car is pretty messed up
good to hear you are alright
02/28/2007 09:59:15 PM · #5
damn smokers...















anyone seen my lighter?
02/28/2007 09:59:51 PM · #6
Glad everyone is ok. Too bad about your truck.
02/28/2007 10:01:17 PM · #7
wow glad you are ok. Hard to believe that the person couldn't see the big yellow(?) school bus with flashing lights and all. Must have been reaching into the backseat for that cigarette to be looking away that long. Amazing.
02/28/2007 10:02:22 PM · #8
if it makes you feel any better :p

Message edited by author 2007-02-28 22:09:43.
02/28/2007 10:02:23 PM · #9
Notice that my first reaction, after checking on the other driver, was to get my camera and start taking pictures.

Is that a hard-core DPCer or what? :-)
02/28/2007 10:06:05 PM · #10
Originally posted by DJWoodward:

Notice that my first reaction, after checking on the other driver, was to get my camera and start taking pictures.

Is that a hard-core DPCer or what? :-)


start complaining of neck/back pain and demand to be sent to a acqupuncture and take shots of their shop for the alternative medicine challenge. :)
02/28/2007 10:06:52 PM · #11
Originally posted by sabphoto:

...Hard to believe that the person couldn't see the big yellow(?) school bus with flashing lights and all...


Yes, it was big and yellow with all of the flashing lights. It wasn't even the short bus ;-)

Message edited by author 2007-02-28 22:08:56.
02/28/2007 10:07:35 PM · #12
This just happened to my daughter yesterday! She is sore and going to a doctor but fine. Her car will probably get totaled, she was hit by a F10 and drives a Nissan.

Glad to hear you are ok too! I'd be taking pictures too and sharing with the insurance company ;)
02/28/2007 10:12:29 PM · #13
At first I was hopeful that the truck wouldn't be totaled. But when I callled the garage that towed it to ask if it was drivable they laughed and said it wouldn't even roll in neutral because the frame was bent and the drive-shaft was buckled. Now I'm not so sure I want it fixed.
03/01/2007 01:23:21 AM · #14
Thankfully you're ok Del and none of the kids were hurt ...... sorry bout your truck though.
03/01/2007 01:39:52 AM · #15
Originally posted by DJWoodward:

At first I was hopeful that the truck wouldn't be totaled. But when I callled the garage that towed it to ask if it was drivable they laughed and said it wouldn't even roll in neutral because the frame was bent and the drive-shaft was buckled. Now I'm not so sure I want it fixed.


No, of course you don't. The other party's insurance is gonna have to pay anyway. You do NOT want a vehicle that's had to be straightened, they never seem to get it quite right.

R.
03/01/2007 03:18:51 AM · #16
And even though you may feel pretty good right now, don't be too quick to say you're fine. With soft tissue damage you might feel a lot worse in a couple days than you do now, and it can take a fair bit to heal it.
If you tell them now that you're okay, of course they're going to hesitate to believe you if you claim whiplash in a week or two.

I was hit pretty much the same way you were, stopped at a red light. I felt okay other than feeling bruised where the seatbelt crossed my chest, but by late afternoon had quite a headache. I went to the doctor immediately, he said mild whiplash, OTC pain meds, and insurance paid everything, lost wages, pain and suffering, right down to the bottle of Tylenol, with no argument. Actually, I didn't even ask for the pain and suffering payment, they offered it!

So just make sure to take care of yourself as carefully as you are your vehicle :)

(and good work getting photos :D )
03/01/2007 08:02:47 AM · #17
Wow, from the damage looks like she was going pretty fast!
03/01/2007 08:08:25 AM · #18
Ugh - what an idiot.

Glad you are okay.
03/01/2007 08:29:38 AM · #19
I'm not an expert on accidents since I've never been in one or seen one happen, but was she speeding? That looks like a lot more than a mild 'love tap' on the fender.

03/01/2007 08:37:21 AM · #20
Just glad you are ok.

Peace

g
03/01/2007 09:02:43 AM · #21
Originally posted by BeeCee:

And even though you may feel pretty good right now, don't be too quick to say you're fine. With soft tissue damage you might feel a lot worse in a couple days than you do now, and it can take a fair bit to heal it.
If you tell them now that you're okay, of course they're going to hesitate to believe you if you claim whiplash in a week or two.


Thanks for the advice... It's day two and I definitely feel worse physically than I did yesterday but that's no surprise the ER doc told me I would.

It's pretty interesting that the driver's insurance representative wants to come talk to me in person as soon as possible. I made it clear that at this point I just want to start the processes of getting my truck repaired/replaced and getting my ER bills submitted and I didn't think that needed to be done in person. He said he wanted to talk about my "personal claim" (his words) first. I suspect they're looking to pressure me to settle completely as soon as possible to avoid any future expense. I'm really not the kind to unreasonably take advantage of a situation like this but I'm not signing anything away until I know I'm well either.
03/01/2007 09:07:12 AM · #22
Call an attorney. Don't deal with the insurance company on your own. Here's a link to someone licensed in NH Northeast Attorney Thety take care of your property damage at no extra cost.
03/01/2007 09:24:20 AM · #23
Originally posted by neophyte:

Call an attorney. Don't deal with the insurance company on your own. Here's a link to someone licensed in NH Northeast Attorney Thety take care of your property damage at no extra cost.


Absolutely. Don't try to settle with an insurance company yourself. Just like others said, your might not have felt pain right after the impact but sometimes it is because your body is in a shock and it will take a few days for real pain to show up. I have been in several car accidents and can attest to that.

Hire professional help to represent you. Insurance companies will try to get away with paying as little as possible, and that might not cover your future medical bills. And make sure to see a chiropractor.
03/01/2007 09:33:58 AM · #24
I got hit like this in a PT Cruiser - knocked me and my poor little car over the island into oncoming traffic!

I hurt for two weeks. just like you - I was released at the scene/same day. I hope your larger vehicle absorbed more of the energy than mine did.

Basic physics says it would have been better for the car to hit the bus. The bus might not have even realized it had been hit.

A friend of mine in high school hit a city bus in his 1968 bonneville. He ran up to the door and knocked on it "are you all right, is everyone all right". The driver opened the door and asked what he was talking about - had no idea he had even been hit.

Good luck dealing with the whole thing.

Message edited by author 2007-03-01 09:34:28.
03/01/2007 01:07:12 PM · #25
Originally posted by DJWoodward:

It's pretty interesting that the driver's insurance representative wants to come talk to me in person as soon as possible. I made it clear that at this point I just want to start the processes of getting my truck repaired/replaced and getting my ER bills submitted and I didn't think that needed to be done in person. He said he wanted to talk about my "personal claim" (his words) first. I suspect they're looking to pressure me to settle completely as soon as possible to avoid any future expense. I'm really not the kind to unreasonably take advantage of a situation like this but I'm not signing anything away until I know I'm well either.

The cynical side of me says that the insurance rep wants to record your conversation, and will start with "how do you feel" to which most people answer good or great or OK because they don't want to get into a conversation about their health with a stranger. Then the agent has a record that you feel great, even though you have soft tissue damage....

Just have someone else tell the insurance agent that you're in too much pain to talk to him. I find that its always painful to talk to insurance agents :-)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 06/15/2019 05:02:54 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 06/15/2019 05:02:54 PM EDT.