DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Rant >> Am I Paranoid or is this mine?????
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 73, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/05/2003 12:09:57 PM · #1
Ok...I didn't enter the Grace challenge so I didn't vote on any of them either because I haven't had much time lately...anyway I happened to be scrolling through a few of them and came across a picture that I sware is one of mine look at it closely it has been changed but let me know what you think...

ok this one is my original... Correction: I didn't actually mean my "original" I just mean my photo from my portfolio...sorry for the confusion.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6668/orig/40543.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6668/orig/40543.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
And this is the photo entered by Bitz in the Grace challenge...
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/153/44425.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/153/44425.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

If I am way off on this I give my apologies to bitz...but it is too close to think that I am wrong...especially if you look in the center of my photo where the curve ends and it is a bit overexposed and it is the same on hers. Please let me know what you guys think...I hate to think that I am just being paranoid.

Shannon

Message edited by author 2003-11-05 13:02:28.
11/05/2003 12:19:56 PM · #2
I'm inclined to say that they look the same to me - many distinguishable features appear in both, such as line patterns, etc. But, I'm not sure what it is, either. Is it a shell found naturally on the sand, or is it a manufactured thing? What is this thing?
11/05/2003 12:21:52 PM · #3
It is a close-up shot of a vase that I received as a wedding gift...I liked the curves in it and did a trial macro shots. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who sees the incredible similarities. What do I do about this?
11/05/2003 12:23:25 PM · #4
It seems very close but has some differences, especially around the center. I also ask, what is it?
11/05/2003 12:25:34 PM · #5
Before this goes any futher and a "witch hunt" continues. Might I suggest you request a dq from site council and allow them to request the orginal and then this can be cleared up one way or the other.
11/05/2003 12:27:19 PM · #6
How do you go about requesting a dq after a challenge has ended? Where is the link?
11/05/2003 12:27:24 PM · #7
It could be that you both have the same vase. The contrast and darker lines make it look different, but there are also a lot of similarities too, but those could be manufactured flaws. It reminds me of a similar debate about a jet in the flight challenge. It turned out two people were at the same event and took the same shot at the same time just a few feet apart totally unaware of the other person. I'd like to assume they are different, but you could contact a member of the Site Council to make sure.
11/05/2003 12:27:29 PM · #8
Well, Bitz's one is bigger and it has more detail, so I don't see how they could have stolen it. I expect they just have the same vase as you :)

Message edited by author 2003-11-05 12:31:27.
11/05/2003 12:27:33 PM · #9
It's an incredible coincidence, but they look different to me. Look at the center of the piece, the lower picture has more separation, a gap, as it curves to the center.
Why don't you ask Bitz?

11/05/2003 12:32:16 PM · #10
Originally posted by Shannon:

How do you go about requesting a dq after a challenge has ended? Where is the link?


If you click on 'contact' under 'Help' in the top nav bar it will open up a page where you can contact the site admin.
11/05/2003 12:32:59 PM · #11
Originally posted by OneSweetSin:

Before this goes any futher and a "witch hunt" continues. Might I suggest you request a dq from site council and allow them to request the orginal and then this can be cleared up one way or the other.


Woah there. I think the first step would be to contact the photographer by PM. Just point out the similarities of the photos and ask her if she got the vase as a wedding present as well. She probably did.
11/05/2003 12:35:56 PM · #12
Looks a little too close to me to be coincidence. Where did you have your shot posted?
11/05/2003 12:36:04 PM · #13
Looks exactly same to me,purple shirts should investigate this!
11/05/2003 12:36:20 PM · #14
After further analysis of the vases, I think they are not the same picture, but rather the same type of vase. Look closely out from the center. Follow the ripples along the edge and you will notice differences.

Pretty amazing coincidence though.
11/05/2003 12:41:58 PM · #15
Assuming that someone trying to copy your Macro challenge entry "The Wave" would not have access to your original, it would have been easier to make a comparison if you had used the entry in your post. However they are, IMHO, close enough to merit an inquiry by the Admins/Site Council. Until they render a decision further discussion here is not needed.
11/05/2003 12:44:28 PM · #16
Originally posted by mariomel:

Originally posted by OneSweetSin:

Before this goes any futher and a "witch hunt" continues. Might I suggest you request a dq from site council and allow them to request the orginal and then this can be cleared up one way or the other.


Woah there. I think the first step would be to contact the photographer by PM. Just point out the similarities of the photos and ask her if she got the vase as a wedding present as well. She probably did.


First thought would have been not to start this thread, but since it has been brought out into the public best to let site council clear it all up. All doubt can be erased that way. Had it not been made public I would say the pm but it is to late to do it one on one.
11/05/2003 12:45:17 PM · #17
Originally posted by coolhar:

Assuming that someone trying to copy your Macro challenge entry "The Wave" would not have access to your original, it would have been easier to make a comparison if you had used the entry in your post. However they are, IMHO, close enough to merit an inquiry by the Admins/Site Council. Until they render a decision further discussion here is not needed.


I did enter a similar photo "The Wave" into the macro challenge but the one I posted that I find to be so similar is from my portfolio..a take of the shot that I didn't enter into the challenge simply titled "Curves"
11/05/2003 01:02:20 PM · #18
Hey Shannon, when I was voting I though that was your photo.....
Very close....
11/05/2003 01:18:37 PM · #19
If you paste one as a new layer into the other, you'll find that they don't line up to each other quite right.
11/05/2003 01:24:20 PM · #20
Even the border colour is the same!
11/05/2003 01:27:33 PM · #21
Oh my God, Shannon, I cannot believe this strange coincidence. I was visiting a friend in my city and as always had my camera with me. She has a large deep pink shell in her bathroom and I asked if I might bring the shell home to photograph it. I can understand how you might have drawn the conclusion that I took your image, but I assure you I did not. I would not for one moment ever think of doing what you feel I might have done. The coincidence is enormous, I agree, even down to the same composition, but to plagiarize and to pass your image off as my own, is simply not in my mentality. I value my standing with the members of DPC, and I also value my reputation. I cannot explain what has happened, but I reiterate - this was my own photo.

Bitz
11/05/2003 01:33:42 PM · #22
Sorry Shannon. I didn't see Curves, just found The Wave and went no farther.
11/05/2003 01:52:29 PM · #23
Originally posted by Shannon:

It is a close-up shot of a vase that I received as a wedding gift...


And they told you it was one-of-a-kind....

Glad that is settled. I could not imagine someone doing something even remotely that low.

Pretty amazing coincidence indeed! You two should compare portfolios. Maybe you're long lost sisters or something. ;-)
11/05/2003 02:10:20 PM · #24
Originally posted by mariomel:

You two should compare portfolios. Maybe you're long lost sisters or something. ;-)


Maybe there's a split personality here. Schizophrenia can be a wonderful thing!!! ' . substr('//smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_108.gif', strrpos('//smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_108.gif', '/') + 1) . '
11/09/2003 10:56:31 PM · #25
Originally posted by Bitz:

Oh my God, Shannon, I cannot believe this strange coincidence. I was visiting a friend in my city and as always had my camera with me. She has a large deep pink shell in her bathroom and I asked if I might bring the shell home to photograph it. I can understand how you might have drawn the conclusion that I took your image, but I assure you I did not. I would not for one moment ever think of doing what you feel I might have done. The coincidence is enormous, I agree, even down to the same composition, but to plagiarize and to pass your image off as my own, is simply not in my mentality. I value my standing with the members of DPC, and I also value my reputation. I cannot explain what has happened, but I reiterate - this was my own photo.

Bitz

I have to say that I just don't believe this is a coincidance. I'm not trying to call anyone a lier, but these ARE the same photos. One couldn't possibly be part of a vase, and one be part of a shell...what are the odds?? Sheesh people!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/28/2022 10:53:31 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2022 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Current Server Time: 11/28/2022 10:53:31 AM EST.