DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> What to bring on long journeys
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 18 of 18, (reverse)
AuthorThread
01/22/2007 06:51:12 AM · #1
I'm planning on backpacking in Southeast Asia (Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam) for about 2 months (hopefully) coming up soon. Of course I feel it's necessary to bring my camera and I've heard there won't be any danger in doing so but I'm worried about what to do with the pictures I take, which will no doubt be far more than I can fit on a 2 gig CF card. Has anybody ever done anything like this? Did you bring tons of memory? A laptop? Some sort of external harddrive? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Davy
01/22/2007 06:58:09 AM · #2
I got the 80 gb version of this portable hardrive. It worked great for me, and I could shoot all I wanted. The only downside to this version is I believe you have to format it all at once, and you can't view the photos, only storage. But it works great. Hope this helps.
01/22/2007 06:59:13 AM · #3
I hiked around New Mexico for 9 days with one of these but I had access to electricity. If you don't, you will need A LOT of batteries and cards. If the XT sucks batteries like the 300D does, you will need a few extra batteries anyway. I bought mine from here and they hold a charge longer than the canon batteries for a much better price. Even came with a charger when I bought 2.
01/22/2007 07:01:59 AM · #4
Originally posted by jdannels:

I got the 80 gb version of this portable hardrive. It worked great for me, and I could shoot all I wanted. The only downside to this version is I believe you have to format it all at once, and you can't view the photos, only storage. But it works great. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah mine had an internal battery but could recharged, it would download about 4-6 gigs before it needed to be recharged.
01/22/2007 07:30:22 AM · #5
If you are on a tight budget you could always bring along a card reader and hit up the internet cafes. Most places have computers with CD burners.
01/22/2007 08:04:03 AM · #6
Personally, I took my external HD to Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand only for the internal card reader to break mid-journey. I found it easy to borrow computers (in hotels or internet cafes) to transfer images across, however.

I then had three 1GB cards and just about coped - there is so much to see and photograph that I would strongly recommend another CF card or two (just in case).

I can confirm that there are plenty of CD burning options around Vietnam and Cambodia - the locals definitely caught on quickly to the digital revolution! However, You might find it moderately expensive and time consuming to constantly be transferring images, especially if you use RAW. An appropriate external HD might be a good investment if you plan on taking a lot of RAW images.

On that note, I found RAW to be invaluable for early mornings in Cambodia especially around Siem Reap and the Angkor complex, one of the most photogenic places I have ever visited!

PS - You mention that you have heard your destinations to be safe - I very rarely feel in any kind of danger when travelling, and Vietnam and Cambodia are no exception. Sad to say, it makes me realise what dangerous places we live in by comparison.

Message edited by author 2007-01-22 08:06:32.
01/22/2007 08:27:35 AM · #7
I'm in Tokyo right now, so any regional suggestions of where to buy any of these things would be awesome.

Thanks a lot for all the responses people, man this is exciting!

Anybody that's been to the places I listed have any personal tips? Access to electricity will be good, I'm guessing. I'll always be able to charge batteries (of which I have 2)?
01/22/2007 09:21:05 AM · #8
When I took my trip I decided quickly to buy a laptop for the next one. You can get a pretty good deal on laptops now days. It would be ideal to get the wireless capability, and a cd burner, along with Photoshop. I found a big problem was finding time to process after you get a ton of photos. In saying that come up with a systematic way of organizing your photos right off the bat, I didn't, and I wished I would of. It sounds like a life altering adventure, good luck, and stay safe.
01/22/2007 09:22:18 AM · #9
Originally posted by NerdJNerdBird:

Anybody that's been to the places I listed have any personal tips? Access to electricity will be good, I'm guessing. I'll always be able to charge batteries (of which I have 2)?


I stayed in nice hotels and had no problems re: electricity! Canon has a factory in Vietnam, but I did not get to spend any real time looking at camera equipment while I was there, so I don't know if it is any cheaper than Japan (I am guessing not).
01/22/2007 10:03:09 AM · #10
This stuffs good to know. I've been looking at that wolverine for an alaska trip this summer. Thanks.
01/22/2007 11:19:47 AM · #11
Originally posted by NerdJNerdBird:

I'm in Tokyo right now, so any regional suggestions of where to buy any of these things would be awesome.

Thanks a lot for all the responses people, man this is exciting!

Anybody that's been to the places I listed have any personal tips? Access to electricity will be good, I'm guessing. I'll always be able to charge batteries (of which I have 2)?


Go to Shinjuku and check out the Yodobashi Camera near the station, there is also a BIC camera in the area.
01/22/2007 09:57:56 PM · #12
Originally posted by NerdJNerdBird:

I'm planning on backpacking in Southeast Asia (Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam) for about 2 months (hopefully) coming up soon. Of course I feel it's necessary to bring my camera and I've heard there won't be any danger in doing so but I'm worried about what to do with the pictures I take, which will no doubt be far more than I can fit on a 2 gig CF card. Has anybody ever done anything like this? Did you bring tons of memory? A laptop? Some sort of external harddrive? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Davy

Sent you a PM.
01/22/2007 10:11:37 PM · #13
Also.

When I was in New Zealand for 9 weeks earlier this year I took a laptop along. My problem was that while there we did a number of 4 day hikes. I investigated solar charging for the camera and an external drive for the photos, but eventually decided the cheapest option for my requirements was to buy another battery and card - both of which are of on-going use today.

edit to correct typos.

Message edited by author 2007-01-22 22:12:18.
01/22/2007 10:15:39 PM · #14
I use an Epson P4000. I had 3 batteries for the camera (actually 5 but 2 crapped out almost immediately on arrival at destination), 2 batteries for the hard drive. I only had to charge the battery for the hard drive after about a week of shooting.

Also, if power is iffy, I'd recommend a surge protector to plug your toys into for recharging.
01/22/2007 10:27:57 PM · #15
i'd bring along the laptop if it isn't too heavy or inconvenient.
it's the best tool to have along with the camera.
imagine lying on the hotel bed after a whole day out shooting, browsing images on the large screen, and filtering out the bad shots along the way.
01/23/2007 01:28:58 AM · #16
I sent you another PM :)
01/23/2007 01:32:36 AM · #17
a good woman...


01/23/2007 01:55:53 AM · #18
Of course ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' soup! I totally forgot to add that to the list I sent him :)
... what was I thinking? I put dust cleaning supplies & bug spray instead ;-) lol
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/09/2019 12:47:38 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/09/2019 12:47:38 AM EST.