DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Web Site Suggestions >> Suggestion: Add watch user
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 16 of 16, (reverse)
AuthorThread
01/20/2007 11:51:41 AM · #1
It would be helpful, especially for those of us trying to learn from this site, to be able to watch a user. This would allow you to be emailed (or other notification) whenever a user puts up a new picture. With so many users it is often hard to keep up my favorites.
01/20/2007 11:55:13 AM · #2
Originally posted by agrimace:

It would be helpful, especially for those of us trying to learn from this site, to be able to watch a user. This would allow you to be emailed (or other notification) whenever a user puts up a new picture. With so many users it is often hard to keep up my favorites.


Only problem I see is that it could get messy with those people who post a LOT of pictures, and this would probably generate a pretty big server email load. Maybe a tick on the "favorites" page that says "This member has uploaded photos since you last visited their portfolio" or something like that.

It would also have to be filtered so that rollovers didn't trigger a big bunch of announcements because of all the challenge entries getting dumped into portfolios.

Just thoughts.
01/20/2007 11:57:31 AM · #3
I'd like to see something similar although without email notification. It'd be nice if you could browse recently uploaded filtered by your favorites, either through the Browse area or through the Favorites area.
01/20/2007 12:03:02 PM · #4
Originally posted by mk:

...It'd be nice if you could browse recently uploaded filtered by your favorites, either through the Browse area or through the Favorites area.


I like the way you think!
In general, I think that an idea like this, i.e. something to make it easier to "keep up" with those photographers whos work we admire, would really add value to the "favorites" system. I especially like mk's very elegant solution. It would, I think, be pretty easy to code (but what I know about coding might fill a thimble) and the server load would be pretty small, I think.
I'll definitely point the attention of the SC and Admins to this thread.
01/20/2007 12:12:39 PM · #5
I don't have anything meaningful to add to this other than I like this idea too.
01/20/2007 12:18:04 PM · #6
Originally posted by NathanW:

I don't have anything meaningful to add to this other than I like this idea too.


Ditto, the MK version.
01/20/2007 01:59:18 PM · #7
I hadn't thought about the email overload. This does seem like a better idea.

Originally posted by mk:

I'd like to see something similar although without email notification. It'd be nice if you could browse recently uploaded filtered by your favorites, either through the Browse area or through the Favorites area.
04/04/2007 09:13:17 PM · #8
I'd like to be be able to keep track of some photographers without adding them to my favorites. There wouldn't have to be statistics kept on who or how many, there wouldn't have to be email notices everytime they posted a photo... it wouldn't even have to be public. Just a private list of people who may not deserve "favorite" status (yet), but whose progress as a photographer you want to keep an eye on.

Just an idea!

-- Larry in NYC

Message edited by author 2007-04-04 23:09:47.
04/04/2007 09:37:13 PM · #9
Great idea, I've been thinking about this option too, favourites should be one thing and "links" or "watch" list another. Even better if it's possible to let it show if users, both in favourites and the watch-list, upload new images... some kind of icon maybe.

For some time I've been thinking about another idea for the user profiles. It would be great when I log into dpchallenge (open the page) that some kind of "new-in-profile"-icon shows next to my user name at the top to the right. And then when I open my profile it says:

NEW! since last log in:
123 views on photos
28 views on profile
7 comments on photos
3 photo favourites
1 user favourite
5 replies in the forums

or something like this...
Some info that shows the activity on my profile-site.

Amason
04/04/2007 09:43:31 PM · #10
Originally posted by O.P.:

Sugestion: Add watch user

Hasn't Leroy been asking for this repeatedly for a couple years?
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/28742/thumb/493044.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/28742/thumb/493044.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
04/04/2007 10:22:05 PM · #11
re: watch user.

Langdon was actually working on something similar to this some time ago. I'll bring it back up and see what was decided, if anything.
04/04/2007 10:24:13 PM · #12
Scary.. lol
04/04/2007 10:24:33 PM · #13
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Originally posted by O.P.:

Sugestion: Add watch user

Hasn't Leroy been asking for this repeatedly for a couple years?
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/28742/thumb/493044.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/28742/thumb/493044.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


Could be...but who pays attention to Leroy :O)
04/04/2007 10:27:29 PM · #14
Originally posted by RayEthier:

Could be...but who pays attention to Leroy :O)

He *is* Wisconsin's official state mascot ...
04/04/2007 11:19:21 PM · #15
What I'd like is that there was a page that listed my fav'd photographers and below their name was a row of images. The number of images would be from the setting in your profile. The page would look a bit like the DPC front page but with more rows.

I'd then like to be able to toggle between seeing "Recent challenge entries" or "recent portfolio uploads" as the images shown for each user.

This way I can quickly see what my fav photogs have been up to.
04/05/2007 01:09:45 AM · #16
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Originally posted by O.P.:

Sugestion: Add watch user

Hasn't Leroy been asking for this repeatedly for a couple years?
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/28742/thumb/493044.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/28742/thumb/493044.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


Might cut down on Leroy's posting, since it's difficult to type one handed.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/07/2019 10:03:06 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/07/2019 10:03:06 AM EST.