DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Results >> There are no trolls????I think there is
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 47, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/20/2006 01:29:58 PM · #1
Among MANY other reasons, I off er the following voting on a recent (black & white III)challenge:
Blue ribbon winner- one vote of 1
one vote of 3
two votes of 4
Red ribbon winner- one vote of 1
one vote of 2
two votes of 3
four votes of 4
Yellow ribbon winner- one vote of 1
one vote of 3
four votes of 4
11/20/2006 01:33:07 PM · #2
375158.jpg
11/20/2006 01:34:27 PM · #3
If you look at the winning photo comments, someone thought they entered a 10 for the photo, but it came out as a 1 - a glitch, an honest mistake, etc. That person stepped up and said that they were the '1'. Therefore, the troll blame game is not in order here.
11/20/2006 01:36:24 PM · #4
Well, it's a perpetual topic, as MK so wittily has indicated.

But I'd gently point out, as one mitigating factor, that the top two places in this challenge are highly-processed, HDR-looking images, and some people just don't like those as a matter of principle. I'm not surprised to see those getting some low votes. Then the third place image has a LOT of grain/noise, which certainly was an artistic choice, but plenty of people think "noise" is always a flaw, so there you have it... IMO anyway.

Nobody should have to defend their taste. Nobody should have to put up with being labeled a troll because they vote their personal aesthetic. Live with it.

R.

Message edited by author 2006-11-20 13:36:49.
11/20/2006 01:39:41 PM · #5
426659.jpg

Don't forget the cat hata'z ;)
11/20/2006 01:41:02 PM · #6
LOL @ mk!
To the OP: the troll debate will rage on no matter how many times it's beat to death. Bottom line, I don't think anyone will try argue that there are *no* troll votes, ever. There are, however, *very* few, and so they make no discernable difference in challenge outcomes. This can be supported by statistics... and yes, I've done the statistics.
We are constantly looking at ways to bring additional tools to our arsenal to dig out voting irregularities, and address them as need be.
11/20/2006 01:48:00 PM · #7
My Free Study XIV entry had no 1s, 2s or 3s. I believe that is a first for me. Maybe the trolls just didn't get around to my image. ;-)

411332.jpg
11/20/2006 01:50:23 PM · #8
Originally posted by scarbrd:

My Free Study XIV entry had no 1s, 2s or 3s. I believe that is a first for me. Maybe the trolls just didn't get around to my image. ;-)


Two possibilities...

1) The trolls were working the opposite side of the scale.

or

2) You are king of the trolls hence no "troll" votes.
11/20/2006 01:51:39 PM · #9
Originally posted by TechnoShroom:

Originally posted by scarbrd:

My Free Study XIV entry had no 1s, 2s or 3s. I believe that is a first for me. Maybe the trolls just didn't get around to my image. ;-)


Two possibilities...

1) The trolls were working the opposite side of the scale.

or

2) You are king of the trolls hence no "troll" votes.


I'm not easy, but I'm no troll. ;-)

Edit to say I just looked at your average vote. Your average is the average of a troll!

Message edited by author 2006-11-20 13:53:39.
11/20/2006 01:51:44 PM · #10
Originally posted by dfstevenson:

Among MANY other reasons, I off er the following voting on a recent (black & white III)challenge:
Blue ribbon winner- one vote of 1
one vote of 3
two votes of 4
Red ribbon winner- one vote of 1
one vote of 2
two votes of 3
four votes of 4
Yellow ribbon winner- one vote of 1
one vote of 3
four votes of 4

Ya man, I got trolled-out more than the other two ribbon winners. It's a conspiracy against Canada! A conspiracy I tell you!!! ;-)
11/20/2006 01:54:42 PM · #11
i really think such obviously racist threads have no place in the forums...

i mean... my grandmother was a troll, making me 1/4 troll myself. i'm deeply offended...


11/20/2006 01:55:00 PM · #12
Wow... threads like this make this site pathetic. I would love it if it was not for all the bashing going around. Why don't you guys see that this issue has been debated to death last week (again!) and leave it be??? This is getting freaking retarded. I find it stupid that if someone REALLY hates a photo and gives it a 1 he gets called a troll. What about freedom of speech and expression for them as well?

Message edited by author 2006-11-20 13:55:42.
11/20/2006 01:55:08 PM · #13
I don't think statistics is the right approach. For example, in a challenge I saw only the first vote I received then shut down for the night. It was an 8. When I awoke my entry had 42 votes and a score of 4.12. Then, with 200+ votes the score had climbed to 5.76 and had moved up, not fluctuated, consistently the whole week. The conclusion: it depends on where in the vote count the trolls vote. If early on, the lower votes have a larger effect. If later on not as much. If the 'trolls' hadn't voted the entry so low to begin with, it would not have had such a hard time climbing back up and I dare say if it wasn't voted low in the first six hours of voting it would have been over a six. Troll votes DO have an effect if they vote when an individual vote carries more weight. All the comments on the image also stated that it is an excellent shot...if it is that good it should be higher than 5.76.
11/20/2006 01:55:22 PM · #14
Originally posted by kudzu:

i really think such obviously racist threads have no place in the forums...

i mean... my grandmother was a troll, making me 1/4 troll myself. i'm deeply offended...


PIPE DOWN! Back to your bridge youngster.
11/20/2006 01:59:01 PM · #15
yeah, I've never seen this thread before. trolls are out there, get over it.
11/20/2006 02:00:26 PM · #16
Originally posted by Alienyst:

I don't think statistics is the right approach. For example, in a challenge I saw only the first vote I received then shut down for the night. It was an 8. When I awoke my entry had 42 votes and a score of 4.12. Then, with 200+ votes the score had climbed to 5.76 and had moved up, not fluctuated, consistently the whole week. The conclusion: it depends on where in the vote count the trolls vote. If early on, the lower votes have a larger effect. If later on not as much. If the 'trolls' hadn't voted the entry so low to begin with, it would not have had such a hard time climbing back up and I dare say if it wasn't voted low in the first six hours of voting it would have been over a six. Troll votes DO have an effect if they vote when an individual vote carries more weight. All the comments on the image also stated that it is an excellent shot...if it is that good it should be higher than 5.76.


Huh? If I had 100 votes of 2 and 100 votes of 10, that would be 1,200 points. Divided by 200, that would be a 6 average. It would make no difference to my average if the 100 2 votes came in at the beginning or at the end. As for the comments, typically most of my comments come from people who LIKE my image a lot; if ribbons were decided by scoring the comments, not the votes, I'd be doing a whole lot better :-)

R.

Message edited by author 2006-11-20 14:00:58.
11/20/2006 02:03:17 PM · #17
"Larger effect" is correct but not in the mathematical sense. Seeing the low votes early on has a "larger effect" on one's perception of there being trolls not the overall score.

Message edited by author 2006-11-20 14:03:49.
11/20/2006 02:03:17 PM · #18
Originally posted by candlerain:

Wow... threads like this make this site pathetic. I would love it if it was not for all the bashing going around. Why don't you guys see that this issue has been debated to death last week (again!) and leave it be??? This is getting freaking retarded. I find it stupid that if someone REALLY hates a photo and gives it a 1 he gets called a troll. What about freedom of speech and expression for them as well?

Please PM me your address. I will be over straight away to give you a massage, because if you've only been reading these forums for a month and already feel this strongly about re-hashed troll discussions, I'm afraid you'll have a heart attack before the new year. ;-)

Personally, I'm all about re-hashed discussions. It helps that I'm senile, so every discussion seems shiny and new to me.

:-)
11/20/2006 02:05:05 PM · #19
Originally posted by scarbrd:

Edit to say I just looked at your average vote. Your average is the average of a troll!


And I hail you my king. :)
11/20/2006 02:05:07 PM · #20
Originally posted by dfstevenson:

Among MANY other reasons, I off er the following voting on a recent (black & white III)challenge:
Blue ribbon winner- one vote of 1
one vote of 3
two votes of 4
Red ribbon winner- one vote of 1
one vote of 2
two votes of 3
four votes of 4
Yellow ribbon winner- one vote of 1
one vote of 3
four votes of 4


I have no problems admitting that I'm the 3 voter on the blue ribbon, and I don't consider myself a troll - I just don't like the picture and voted accordingly.
11/20/2006 02:05:15 PM · #21
** Warning: This post has been hidden as it may content mature content. Click here to show the post.
11/20/2006 02:05:18 PM · #22
Originally posted by candlerain:

Wow... threads like this make this site pathetic. I would love it if it was not for all the bashing going around. Why don't you guys see that this issue has been debated to death last week (again!) and leave it be??? This is getting freaking retarded. I find it stupid that if someone REALLY hates a photo and gives it a 1 he gets called a troll. What about freedom of speech and expression for them as well?


Relax, most of it is tongue in cheek. In your 5 weeks of experiece and 1 challenge entered you should have this depth of knowledge by now.

Usually people figure everything out in the first week. Try harder to keep up! ;-)
11/20/2006 02:06:41 PM · #23
Originally posted by scarbrd:

My Free Study XIV entry had no 1s, 2s or 3s. I believe that is a first for me. Maybe the trolls just didn't get around to my image. ;-)

411332.jpg

Sorry, I went to bed early and didn't get to finish...:P
11/20/2006 02:13:51 PM · #24
Originally posted by silverscreen:

I have no problems admitting that I'm the 3 voter on the blue ribbon, and I don't consider myself a troll - I just don't like the picture and voted accordingly.


well... if voting a 3 on an image makes you a troll, then was does that make me? i voted a null. if you look at my voting statistics and the lenght of time i've been registered, you'll see that i typically vote null.

guess that makes me an uber-troll. go me!
11/20/2006 02:41:28 PM · #25
Originally posted by MrEd:

Originally posted by scarbrd:

My Free Study XIV entry had no 1s, 2s or 3s. I believe that is a first for me. Maybe the trolls just didn't get around to my image. ;-)

411332.jpg

Sorry, I went to bed early and didn't get to finish...:P


Obviously not a dedicated troll! ;-)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 06/24/2019 08:10:13 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 06/24/2019 08:10:13 AM EDT.