DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Announcements >> Reflections Without Mirrors III Recalculated
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 141, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/16/2006 02:00:21 PM · #1
The results for this challenge have been recalculated due to the disqualification of the first-place image. Congrats to ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' gsal on the new ribbon.
11/16/2006 02:18:52 PM · #2
Wow, I moved up to 348th place :-)
11/16/2006 02:21:42 PM · #3

' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' fotomann_forever -See that's why I always say...there is HOPE!! lol
11/16/2006 02:26:11 PM · #4
Originally posted by fotomann_forever:

Wow, I moved up to 348th place :-)


lol
11/16/2006 02:32:37 PM · #5
see... this is why i think 4th and 11th place are the worst places to be in the standings... i causes the moral delima of wanting and relishing in some other poor sap's DQ...

"one more... come on... just one more DQ!..."

(this is, of course, only a joke... mostly...)
11/16/2006 03:12:25 PM · #6
Sorry folks, rather than cropping my image, I used the Distort tool to "crop" the photo rather than diminish its full size by cropping. It appears that this is illegal. I must admit that the pilings were slightly elongated due to this, but I see the effects as subtle.

I really did read the rules, and it seems to me I read them carefully, but I didn't find anything about this in them. Perhaps an addition to this effect would be appropriate.

Congratulations to the new winners!

Sorry Team Ice & Us!
11/16/2006 03:18:15 PM · #7
Hey, are you calling me a "poor sap?" (just kidding)

Originally posted by kudzu:

see... this is why i think 4th and 11th place are the worst places to be in the standings... i causes the moral delima of wanting and relishing in some other poor sap's DQ...

"one more... come on... just one more DQ!..."

(this is, of course, only a joke... mostly...)

11/16/2006 03:40:51 PM · #8
Originally posted by kudzu:

see... this is why i think 4th and 11th place are the worst places to be in the standings... i causes the moral delima of wanting and relishing in some other poor sap's DQ...

"one more... come on... just one more DQ!..."

(this is, of course, only a joke... mostly...)


Don't forget my 6th place finish... bumps me up to my first honorable mention. Seriously, I don't like getting it this way and I'm sorry to see the DQ of a top image on such a minor issue.
11/16/2006 03:40:52 PM · #9
David, I had to go into CS2 and see what you used. The Distort has many possibilities. Did you use the Distort - Lens Correction? To me, those look the same as the Transform which I understand is legal. Oops - that's in advanced.

So, in Advanced, would this be considered okay and similar to using the Transform to fix the perspective?

Becky
11/16/2006 03:52:23 PM · #10
Originally posted by dsidwell:


I really did read the rules, and it seems to me I read them carefully, but I didn't find anything about this in them. Perhaps an addition to this effect would be appropriate.

Congratulations to the new winners!

Sorry Team Ice & Us!

David, sorry to hear about your Dq, and I am impressed by how well you are handling it. In the new rule set they are starting to use it says you may not disort your photo in basic editing.
Somehow I knew you couldn't free transform, but as I re-read the rules several times I can't see where it is either that you can't do this. Still a great image and wished I had taken it!
11/16/2006 04:00:20 PM · #11
I am not sure about the DQ on this (because its none of my business) but now that I know distort was used I can really see it in the hills in the background (kinda makes it look weird now that I see it).

From what I can tell you made an honest mistake and you weren't trying to "sneak one by" or anything. Too bad because I really liked this. Of course that obviously makes you feel soooo much better.

One thing I will say is I actually prefer PilingsNov0602.jpg over the one you actually submitted. Just my 2 cents really.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6870/thumb/427982.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6870/thumb/427982.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

11/16/2006 04:11:28 PM · #12
Originally posted by Citadel:


One thing I will say is I actually prefer PilingsNov0602.jpg over the one you actually submitted. Just my 2 cents really.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6870/thumb/427982.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6870/thumb/427982.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


i agree
the vanishing point, rule of thirds, and colors are better than teh submitted photo.

but what do i know, it won the blue ribbon :P (techincally)
11/16/2006 04:14:29 PM · #13
David, its difficult to accept a DQ from one of the top spots. I feel so sorry for you and know exactly what you are going through. Accept it with grace, learn from the experience and move on quickly.
11/16/2006 04:17:24 PM · #14
Originally posted by Falc:

David, its difficult to accept a DQ from one of the top spots. I feel so sorry for you and know exactly what you are going through. Accept it with grace, learn from the experience and move on quickly.


I've been there too....but I still say I was robbed...heh.
11/16/2006 04:18:16 PM · #15
Originally posted by Falc:

Accept it with grace, learn from the experience and move on quickly.

He's certainly done that.
11/16/2006 04:37:35 PM · #16
Originally posted by Louis:

Originally posted by Falc:

Accept it with grace, learn from the experience and move on quickly.

He's certainly done that.


Absolutely and has gained kudos for doing so!
11/16/2006 04:37:43 PM · #17
Originally posted by Louis:

Originally posted by Falc:

Accept it with grace, learn from the experience and move on quickly.

He's certainly done that.


Agreed.
11/16/2006 04:46:08 PM · #18
Originally posted by Louis:

Originally posted by Falc:

Accept it with grace, learn from the experience and move on quickly.

He's certainly done that.


true. he's accepted the dq like a man. very honorable, he is...

i still say he's a poor sap though... ;)


11/16/2006 05:21:47 PM · #19
So you can rotate in basic, just not distort in basic.
11/16/2006 05:25:23 PM · #20
Originally posted by boomtap:

So you can rotate in basic, just not distort in basic.

Yes
11/16/2006 05:29:42 PM · #21
Originally posted by dsidwell:

Sorry folks, rather than cropping my image, I used the Distort tool to "crop" the photo rather than diminish its full size by cropping. It appears that this is illegal. I must admit that the pilings were slightly elongated due to this, but I see the effects as subtle.

I really did read the rules, and it seems to me I read them carefully, but I didn't find anything about this in them. Perhaps an addition to this effect would be appropriate.


It's already there, I think:

You may not "distort or stretch your image in any way"...

R.
11/16/2006 05:40:49 PM · #22
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

It's already there, I think:

You may not "distort or stretch your image in any way"...


Yup it is. It's a shame, because its a much better way to fix a skewed horizon or other line than using rotate. Not saying it should change in the rules, just that it is a better way to fix that sort of thing and is worth learning how to use.
11/16/2006 06:09:05 PM · #23
I still can't find it in the Rules IV, even with Bear's quote, but I can imagine that it should be obvious (I can't see the forest through the trees?) and I did find this rule that could feasibly include it:

"Additionally, the use of any type of selection tool is prohibited except to select a non-feathered, non-anti-aliased rectangular area for cropping." The selection tool was non-feathered and non-anti-aliased and rectangular, but was not used for cropping. It did include the entire image, though.

In any case, I think the Site Council is consistent and wise, and I still enjoy photography and DPC immensely. In fact, my b/w photo is doing quite well, though it probably won't ribbon. I'm sure that if I keep trying, I'll get more ribbons if I really try hard. I'll have to work extra hard to get my WPL3 team's scores back up now.

Originally posted by Gordon:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

It's already there, I think:

You may not "distort or stretch your image in any way"...


Yup it is. It's a shame, because its a much better way to fix a skewed horizon or other line than using rotate. Not saying it should change in the rules, just that it is a better way to fix that sort of thing and is worth learning how to use.

11/16/2006 06:16:32 PM · #24
I agree. I like this one much better. However, I don't think it would have done as well. It's a bit more subtle in both reflection and composition. Thanks!

Originally posted by slide12345678:

Originally posted by Citadel:


One thing I will say is I actually prefer PilingsNov0602.jpg over the one you actually submitted. Just my 2 cents really.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6870/thumb/427982.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/6870/thumb/427982.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


i agree
the vanishing point, rule of thirds, and colors are better than teh submitted photo.

but what do i know, it won the blue ribbon :P (techincally)

11/16/2006 06:31:46 PM · #25
Originally posted by dsidwell:

I still can't find it in the Rules IV...


It isn't there. It is in the new ruleset Here, which applies to challenges that begin between November 6th and November 29th. Reflections III started on November 1st, and is governed by Basic Editing IV, which does not contain that specific language.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 07/26/2021 02:43:32 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 07/26/2021 02:43:32 PM EDT.