DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> DVD to AVI/MPEG?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 24 of 24, (reverse)
AuthorThread
03/14/2006 09:25:35 PM · #1
Can anyone suggest a decent -- and preferably cheap -- program that will rip DVDs and convert content to AVI or MPEG? I want to be able to take stuff that I've recorded on my DVD recorder and be able to convert it to something I can edit and convert to WMV, etc.

I have no interest in ripping copyrighted DVDs or stuff like that... I want to be able to videotape things with the camcorder or take stuff I've recorded on the DVD recorder, and be able to edit it in such a way I can convert it to for web viewing or mastering back to DVD.

Suggestions appreciated! :)

Message edited by author 2006-03-14 21:30:42.
03/14/2006 09:30:45 PM · #2
DVD Copy from Roxio
03/14/2006 09:41:00 PM · #3
I use a combination of DVDShrink and AutoGK.

That combo worked for doing about 450 movies for a project for my boss - ripped them to 700MB AVI's for storage on an Xbox.
03/14/2006 09:51:42 PM · #4
I assume these aren't filled with spyware...? I might eventually buy the Roxio one (I actually looked at that one today)... but if I can find some freeware that works, all the better :)

Originally posted by MadMan2k:

I use a combination of DVDShrink and AutoGK.

That combo worked for doing about 450 movies for a project for my boss - ripped them to 700MB AVI's for storage on an Xbox.
03/14/2006 10:04:03 PM · #5
Originally posted by alanfreed:

I assume these aren't filled with spyware...?


Not at all. They're freeware, and pretty widely accepted as the easiest free way to rip DVD's. Play around with them a little, see what works/doesn't as well.
03/14/2006 10:04:48 PM · #6
Super -- I appreciate the tips! I'm converting one as we speak.

Originally posted by MadMan2k:

Originally posted by alanfreed:

I assume these aren't filled with spyware...?


Not at all. They're freeware, and pretty widely accepted as the easiest free way to rip DVD's. Play around with them a little, see what works/doesn't as well.
03/14/2006 10:06:02 PM · #7
Dvd decrypter/Shrink is safe, its the staple for converting-- try it..

Message edited by author 2006-03-14 22:07:09.
03/14/2006 10:06:14 PM · #8
DVDshrink 3.2 does not contain spyware or any other nefarious features. However, consider that DVD files with the extension .vob are actually mpeg2 files. Copy them from the DVD and rename them using .mpg as the file extension. These files can be opened in many video editors including the mpeg2 version of VirtualDub, and then saved in .avi format with any of a variety of video codecs.
03/14/2006 10:20:51 PM · #9
Yeah, I've actually tried that, but with fairly limited success. I've renamed them, and tried playing them in a couple different players, and they'll start out fine but stall out after a minute or so.

For example, if I try playing a file like that in Windows Media Player, the progress line zips from the start to finish within just a matter of seconds, and then the video starts sputtering out. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong there...

Originally posted by ElGordo:

DVDshrink 3.2 does not contain spyware or any other nefarious features. However, consider that DVD files with the extension .vob are actually mpeg2 files. Copy them from the DVD and rename them using .mpg as the file extension. These files can be opened in many video editors including the mpeg2 version of VirtualDub, and then saved in .avi format with any of a variety of video codecs.
03/14/2006 10:26:40 PM · #10
I use Nero. It's very good all around software. And I've never had a problem with upgrades trashing my system as at least older versions of Adaptec/Roxio did (they would remove your CD/DVD device drivers from the registry when upgrading, which often required an uninstall).

Nero does everything you need, and there's a free unencumbered trial. On the other hand, if you don't need burning software, one of the little freeware/shareware utilities will work fine too.

A good resource for information on such software and techniques is:

//www.videohelp.com/
03/14/2006 10:27:39 PM · #11
Another problem with that is that in DVD's the VOB files are split into several parts... encoding software like AutoGK (actually a suite of open source apps that run in sequence) encodes it into a single .AVI or .MPG file, with a low enough bitrate that systems can actually play it back.

EDIT: was referring to the straight renaming technique.

Message edited by author 2006-03-14 22:29:17.
03/15/2006 12:20:48 PM · #12
Ok... I downloaded and installed the DVDShrink and AutoGK programs and the codec package, and it seems like everything worked. I can view the resulting AVI in Windows Media Player without any trouble.

BUT when I open the AVI in any editing program (Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere) it actually crashes the program when I try to do anything with the file.

So close, but yet so far...! Any ideas where I could be going wrong? Is there a setting I could be missing in either of these programs? Is it better to encode in DiVX or the other one...?

Argh, I wish I knew what I was doin'!
03/15/2006 12:41:25 PM · #13
Try this newer Xvid codec (if you encoded with Xvid, which I think is the best one):
//www.koepi.org/XviD-1.1.0-30122005.exe
03/15/2006 12:47:17 PM · #14
I shall give it a try -- thanks again for all your help!

Originally posted by MadMan2k:

Try this newer Xvid codec (if you encoded with Xvid, which I think is the best one):
//www.koepi.org/XviD-1.1.0-30122005.exe
03/16/2006 01:24:46 PM · #15
Try this....

I use Shrink, DVD Decryptor, and DVDXCOPY for burning DVDs only.

It took me months of trial and error to figure out a way to convert any video file to .avi, .mov., or .wmv (for Movie Maker to put on the net.)

I found Ashampoo Movie Shrink & Burn (free trial shareware.) I liked it so much that I bought the full program. You can convert your files to what you need and compress them to any specified size. It even rates your compression...bad, good, great....so you don't lose quality.

I used to get the "codec" error........but downloaded DivX player (free) and it fixed all.

This site has always been reliable for me......and the forums help alot.

www.doom9.net (shareware and freeware)
03/16/2006 01:32:35 PM · #16
Thanks for the additional info!

I've been able to successfully convert DVD to AVI now with the Dvd decrypter/Shrink software. I'm a little worried about the DiVX component of it, because I noticed that one of the pieces of software having to do with DiVX was described as a trial version, set to expire in 15 days... so I'm not sure about all that.

Plus, it puts a little "DiVX" logo on the corner of the AVI file for the first several seconds.

Perhaps I'll shell out some money for the Roxio product if I get ambitious :)

I'll have to look into the Ashampoo one to see what it's like!

Originally posted by m_martinhere:

Try this....

I use Shrink, DVD Decryptor, and DVDXCOPY for burning DVDs only.

It took me months of trial and error to figure out a way to convert any video file to .avi, .mov., or .wmv (for Movie Maker to put on the net.)

I found Ashampoo Movie Shrink & Burn (free trial shareware.) I liked it so much that I bought the full program. You can convert your files to what you need and compress them to any specified size. It even rates your compression...bad, good, great....so you don't lose quality.

I used to get the "codec" error........but downloaded DivX player (free) and it fixed all.

This site has always been reliable for me......and the forums help alot.

www.doom9.net (shareware and freeware)
03/28/2006 10:46:19 AM · #17
Sorry to be Off Topic, (actually reverse topic), but any thoughts on how to burn from AVI/MPEG to DVD?
03/28/2006 11:00:48 AM · #18
Originally posted by alanfreed:

but if I can find some freeware that works, all the better :)


You should have said something further about coming to Toronto and maybe started a GTG. As for freeware/shareware or trial programs I'd suggest checking out this site.

TUCOWS
03/28/2006 11:16:18 AM · #19
Considering that the trip was designed as a getaway with my wife & daughter (and a very brief one at that), I kinda doubt they would have been too enthused if I had turned it into a GTG :)

I'd probably make the trip, though, if someone came up with one up there sometime!

Originally posted by notonline:

You should have said something further about coming to Toronto and maybe started a GTG.


Message edited by author 2006-03-28 11:17:05.
03/28/2006 11:21:01 AM · #20
Originally posted by alanfreed:

I'd probably make the trip, though, if someone came up with one up there sometime!


Ok here it is.

Toronto GTG
03/28/2006 01:27:33 PM · #21
I don't know much about it, but I've successfully used HandBrake (Mac only for now) to rip DVDs to MPEG-4 format. It's a free download.

Message edited by author 2006-03-28 13:32:28.
12/22/2006 08:56:10 PM · #22
Originally posted by notonline:

As for freeware/shareware or trial programs I'd suggest checking out this site.

TUCOWS


I have heard a lot that Tucows has a lot of spyware filled programs. MajorGeeks.com is very careful about spyware. If they detect any spyware on their downloads they remove it from the site.
02/11/2009 02:53:46 AM · #23
Originally posted by alanfreed:

Can anyone suggest a decent -- and preferably cheap -- program that will rip DVDs and convert content to AVI or MPEG? I want to be able to take stuff that I've recorded on my DVD recorder and be able to convert it to something I can edit and convert to WMV, etc.

I have no interest in ripping copyrighted DVDs or stuff like that... I want to be able to videotape things with the camcorder or take stuff I've recorded on the DVD recorder, and be able to edit it in such a way I can convert it to for web viewing or mastering back to DVD.

Suggestions appreciated! :)


Pavtube DVD Ripper. It converts DVD to AVI, WMV, MPEG, MP4, etc.
Cheap and easy-to-use.
02/11/2009 08:51:49 AM · #24
Try Cucusoft . It is fairly cheap and does a decent job, It is the program I use to rip DVDs to my ipod.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/24/2020 12:58:01 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/24/2020 12:58:01 PM EST.