DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Web Site Suggestions >> Parental Controls
Pages:  
Showing posts 51 - 75 of 138, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/21/2003 04:23:28 PM · #51
Originally posted by OneSweetSin:

The fact that we disagree with you does not mean we are making your suggestion into a joke. It just means that we disagree with you.

-Terry


Read the beginning of the thread. You and Setz were making it a joke about nude cats![/quote]

A bit of a stretch to turn that into ridiculing your suggestion. It was a sidebar to the conversation, not an attempt to hijack it.

-Terry
07/21/2003 04:46:31 PM · #52
Originally posted by OneSweetSin:

I am sorry that sight council thinks this isn't serious and is such a joke. One of these days someone is going to get fired cause photos like the 1st and 3rd place winners in the nude challenge are showing on a computer screen at work.

We can already mark comments if we like them, we can block photos that the photographer lists as a nude but what about photos that are placed in other catagories or the photographer doesn't consider nude work. Why not install a box in the voting so each person can set what is visable later?

What is it going to take a member of site council getting fired before this is taken seriously?


If someone gets fired at work for looking at a web site that they should not be looking at, at work - it is not the fault of the people who provide the site. If you think that it is, I suggest you re-evaluate your ideas on responsibility.

It also isn't the site owners responsibility to provide filtering for any other particular type of content, in fact you acknowledged an agreement that it is your own personal responsibility for anything you view here, not the owners of the site.

You already have complete control over what you view on dpchallenge and when you do so. Nothing further needs to be implemented to provide controls, although there has been some attempt to provide filtering on nudity. Again - you already have the control on what you view and click on. It is as simple as exercising some of that control and judgement.

Message edited by author 2003-07-21 16:52:22.
07/21/2003 04:49:48 PM · #53
since i don't have children, perhaps i'm not qualified to join this thread. i will tell something that i remember from my childhood, though.

when i was a kid, my mom didn't keep me from seeing things that were offensive. what she did do, however, was sit down with me and explain what i was seeing, what it meant, and (if it went against what she was teaching me in life)how it differed from the life we lived. then she would always answer any questions i had about what i saw...honestly and openly. i will always be grateful to her for taking so much time with me.

as i said, i'm probably not qualified to make a comment. it just seems to me, these days, some parents look for the quick fix instead of taking responsibility.

anyway...just my opinion.
07/21/2003 05:02:41 PM · #54
would of this thread went better had I entitled it options to hide?
07/21/2003 05:02:43 PM · #55
Originally posted by sher9204:

since i don't have children, perhaps i'm not qualified to join this thread ....

As a former child I'd say you're perfectly qualified. Thanks for offering up the kid's perspective, even if in hindsight. As I said in another post, I think it's the seeming lack of time to do what your mom did which is the biggest problem.

No kid can tell good from bad if they don't see the bad as a basis for comparison. If they only see/know good, they will come to expect it in all situations ... certainly not a recipe for survival in the "civilized" Western world.
07/21/2003 05:09:06 PM · #56
Why should someone have the right to hide a nude photo when I don't have the right to hide a photo I find offensive or simply don't want to ever see again?

Now there I just said it AGAIN! I have never had a problem with the nude photos I was only pointing out that others were having problems with not all nude photos being hidden!
07/21/2003 05:10:18 PM · #57
Originally posted by OneSweetSin:

would of this thread went better had I entitled it options to hide?


probably not, as , has been explained at length, it isn't a particularly reasonable request. Particularly as you already have complete control over which images you view and when you view them.

It might promote requests to implement kill files ala newsreaders though.
07/21/2003 05:12:10 PM · #58
Originally posted by OneSweetSin:

would of this thread went better had I entitled it options to hide?

I think it's all the "engaging in personalities" (legal expression) which creates the problem; the typewritten/disjointed nature of the "conversation" doesn't help.

As I've said, we've gone through the issue many times, and any change would be a significant coding project which the site can't "afford" at this time.

Perhaps if we adopted a flag more like the movies (PG-17) rather than just "Nudity" to describe objectional photos, and put a button requesting the photo be flagged (similar to requesting a DQ), the system would be a little more generic. A also like John's idea of letting the photographer flag their own photo at the time of submission.
07/21/2003 05:12:45 PM · #59
Originally posted by OneSweetSin:

Why should someone have the right to hide a nude photo when I don't have the right to hide a photo I find offensive or simply don't want to ever see again?

Now there I just said it AGAIN! I have never had a problem with the nude photos I was only pointing out that others were having problems with not all nude photos being hidden!


Because you are under the misunderstanding that it is a 'right'

It is not.

It is a feature, and it has been explained at least once already that to provide an arbitrarily flexible exclusion feature is unreasonable to implement.

Message edited by author 2003-07-21 17:13:01.
07/21/2003 05:15:27 PM · #60
This thread has become absolutely ridiculous. The original thread about nude photos was started by me, because I clicked on a linked photo and a nude came up, while I'm on a break at work. Yes, I clicked the link. Yes, I know I didn't have to click the link. Did I know it wasn't safe for work/kids? Nope. Not a clue.
I've noticed that many users at other sites, will include a NSFW (Not Safe For Work) tag next to the link for those of us that have enough freedom to surf at work. Mostly I was wondering if this was the case here.

For those people that haven't bothered to read the whole thread and choose to comment anyway, I'll restate what I wrote before. I'm new here, and my original post was to ask about the 'hide nude photos' option. I had already checked it off, but nudes appeared anyway.

I come here because I like to view nice photos. I like to learn new things. I like to interact with talented people. I really don't understand the reaction "Don't come here then if you don't like it! You don't have to enter dpchallenge.com in the address box!" Why is everyone so hostile around here? Shouldn't new users be welcomed? I did not come here to ask the site developers to change the whole site, place a whole bunch of new rules on everyone. I was asking a simple question and people jumped on me and proceeded to do the same with OneSweetSin when she agreed that we should have the option to censor material that some would deem offensive.

07/21/2003 05:24:16 PM · #61
I browse the site at work. I just don't go and click through the section with the word 'Nudes' at the front. I don't go and read the threads about nudes, nor do I click on the pictures that are linked from those threads.

I take the responsibility for the content that I view at work - I don't expect to find some sanitised version of the internet that is available for me at certain times of the day.

None of the content on this site is pushed - there are no pop-up ads with nipples in them or any unrequested content. Most of it is also pretty obviously marked.

The hide nude photos says 'Hide Nude Photos -After voting, do not show thumbnails containing nudity.' It does not say 'this hides nude pictures at all times'.

When signing up for an account, all users acknowledge an agreement that states that :

You understand that by using the Website, you may be exposed to content that is offensive, indecent or objectionable. Under no circumstances will DPChallenge.com be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, for any errors or omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed, transmitted or otherwise made available via the Website.

The site is not 'safe for work' or 'kid friendly' In some cases, people have requested that their children can use the site and as I understand it agreed to further stipulations on what sort of content they accept.

I am sorry if there has been some misunderstanding when you acknowledged this agreement, but the site has never had a policy of being 'safe for work' (for whatever conditions you feel that actually means, or in which countries set of moral codes you feel should apply)
07/21/2003 05:30:35 PM · #62
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Originally posted by OneSweetSin:

would of this thread went better had I entitled it options to hide?

I think it's all the "engaging in personalities" (legal expression) which creates the problem; the typewritten/disjointed nature of the "conversation" doesn't help.

As I've said, we've gone through the issue many times, and any change would be a significant coding project which the site can't "afford" at this time.

Perhaps if we adopted a flag more like the movies (PG-17) rather than just "Nudity" to describe objectional photos, and put a button requesting the photo be flagged .


That is the best thing I have heard all day. Why couldn't the nudity option be changed to include objecitonal photos. I sent some to Terry that I really don't like seeing and out of my examples I sent to him there are 3 that I positively don't think we should be subjected to in thumbnails anymore than I think someone who doesn't want to see nudes should be subjected too.
07/21/2003 05:33:17 PM · #63
Originally posted by OneSweetSin:

Originally posted by GeneralE:

Originally posted by OneSweetSin:

would of this thread went better had I entitled it options to hide?

I think it's all the "engaging in personalities" (legal expression) which creates the problem; the typewritten/disjointed nature of the "conversation" doesn't help.

As I've said, we've gone through the issue many times, and any change would be a significant coding project which the site can't "afford" at this time.

Perhaps if we adopted a flag more like the movies (PG-17) rather than just "Nudity" to describe objectional photos, and put a button requesting the photo be flagged .


That is the best thing I have heard all day. Why couldn't the nudity option be changed to include objecitonal photos. I sent some to Terry that I really don't like seeing and out of my examples I sent to him there are 3 that I positively don't think we should be subjected to in thumbnails anymore than I think someone who doesn't want to see nudes should be subjected too.



My only problem with that is that I don't think any of the current nudes would even be considered PG-17. Should they all be re-enabled ?

which moral standards would you like to apply to which pictures are allowed ? Personally I'd vote for French standards.
07/21/2003 05:35:55 PM · #64
Actually, Gordon, I made the mistake of clicking on a link of a nude photo. It was a text link. I can't even remember where it was that I clicked. I know that I have not clicked on the nude category while i'm at work. I was also browsing one of the galleries and a photo of a nipple showed up. I think it was in contrasts. And actually there is a photo of someone's breasts in the contrast challenge. It's a thumbnail, that's not hidden. Am I mistaken or is that how it works? Or it's only when the challenge is over? My whole reason for asking is because I don't understand it. Explain it to me. Please.

And yup, I agreed to that. Definitely. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

I also take responsibility for what I look at on the web while at work. That is why I didn't click on the nudes category while here, and also why I'm asking how the 'hide nude photos' option works. Stop arrogantly assuming that I'm asking for changes to the website. I'm asking how it works, that is all. I mentioned the NSFW thing because other sites have 'unoffically' used that system and it works very well.
07/21/2003 05:36:18 PM · #65
Originally posted by kellyrae3:

For those people that haven't bothered to read the whole thread and choose to comment anyway, I'll restate what I wrote before. I'm new here, and my original post was to ask about the 'hide nude photos' option. I had already checked it off, but nudes appeared anyway.


Where did the nudes appear? Please note the option to hide nudes is limited to hiding THUMBNAILS of nudes AFTER VOTING. It will not hide the actual full images, nor will it hide the thumbs during voting.

That said, I agree that users should post a warning on any links to nude photos in the forums.

-Terry
07/21/2003 05:37:16 PM · #66
i like disturbing and brutal photos, what about my preferences?
07/21/2003 05:40:07 PM · #67
OK, I meant PG-17 as an example only. Most of the people who have "problems" with nudes seem to be adults.
And besides, it's not these nudes which are being objected to either ....

And it is a separate problem that only the thumbnail is suppressed; that doesn't make sense. I think user's with blocking on should be served the generic "blank" image and then have the option of being forwarded to the actual image.

Message edited by author 2003-07-21 17:40:39.
07/21/2003 05:41:43 PM · #68
Originally posted by achiral:

i like disturbing and brutal photos, what about my preferences?

1. Go to your Preferences page and uncheck the "Hide Nudes" box.
2. Make sure you set your alarm for no later than 1 a.m. so you can get to the bookstore before they close.
3. Check whether your company health plan covers extended psychotherapy.
4. Quit using methamphetamine and whiskey and smoke a joint.
5. Ignore suggestions 2-4 as necessary.

Message edited by author 2003-07-21 17:46:50.
07/21/2003 05:42:16 PM · #69
Originally posted by kellyrae3:

Actually, Gordon, I made the mistake of clicking on a link of a nude photo. It was a text link. I can't even remember where it was that I clicked. I know that I have not clicked on the nude category while i'm at work. I was also browsing one of the galleries and a photo of a nipple showed up. I think it was in contrasts. And actually there is a photo of someone's breasts in the contrast challenge. It's a thumbnail, that's not hidden. Am I mistaken or is that how it works? Or it's only when the challenge is over? My whole reason for asking is because I don't understand it. Explain it to me. Please.

And yup, I agreed to that. Definitely. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

I also take responsibility for what I look at on the web while at work. That is why I didn't click on the nudes category while here, and also why I'm asking how the 'hide nude photos' option works. Stop arrogantly assuming that I'm asking for changes to the website. I'm asking how it works, that is all. I mentioned the NSFW thing because other sites have 'unoffically' used that system and it works very well.


I like you already kellyrae... =o)
07/21/2003 05:42:22 PM · #70
Originally posted by GeneralE:

OK, I meant PG-17 as an example only. Most of the people who have "problems" with nudes seem to be adults.
And besides, it's not these nudes which are being objected to either ....

And it is a separate problem that only the thumbnail is suppressed; that doesn't make sense. I think user's with blocking on should be served the generic "blank" image and then have the option of being forwarded to the actual image.


They're being served a blank thumbnail. If they choose to click on that thumbnail there is an implicit request to be forwarded to the actual image.
07/21/2003 05:47:45 PM · #71
Originally posted by ClubJuggle:

Where did the nudes appear? Please note the option to hide nudes is limited to hiding THUMBNAILS of nudes AFTER VOTING. It will not hide the actual full images, nor will it hide the thumbs during voting.

That said, I agree that users should post a warning on any links to nude photos in the forums.

-Terry


Thanks Terry, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll vote from home then.
07/21/2003 05:52:37 PM · #72
Originally posted by ClubJuggle:



They're being served a blank thumbnail. If they choose to click on that thumbnail there is an implicit request to be forwarded to the actual image.

But that doesn't work if someone posts a text link to a flagged image, or as people are automatically forwarded to the next full image while voting.

Why not have blanks show for both by default, but have clicking on a "Go Ahead-Show Me" button in the middle take you to the actual image. That lessens the "danger" of unexpected displays while not skipping those images in the random queue.
07/21/2003 05:56:14 PM · #73
what's the point of that though, why would someone just be clicking on random text links without knowing what the thread is about or what the picture has to do with? doesn't sound like anyone i know.

sorry i thought you were talking about the problem with text linked pictures showing nudes. my point still stands though

Message edited by author 2003-07-21 17:59:25.
07/21/2003 05:58:56 PM · #74
Originally posted by achiral:

what's the point of that though, why would someone just be clicking on random text links without knowing what the thread is about or what the picture has to do with? doesn't sound like anyone i know


Edited because I thought you were talking about something else.

Message edited by author 2003-07-21 17:59:33.
07/21/2003 06:06:07 PM · #75
Do I need to put parental warning on My Hard Rock photo?
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 06/03/2020 10:46:45 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 06/03/2020 10:46:45 PM EDT.