DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Singled Out vs. Candid
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 19 of 19, (reverse)
AuthorThread
01/13/2006 04:47:45 PM · #1
Seen a lot of threads this week about shooting candids. Getting over the fear, etc., etc.

Challenge Description -
Description: Drop your fear of candids this week and single-out a person in a crowd as your source of composition. Use minimal depth-of-field to your advantage to help isolate your subject, and as always, be creative

Seems to me, the focus for the challenge is to use minimal DOF to isolate a subject in a crowd.

Are you all taking it this way? Or are more people focusing on the "candid" part of the challenge?
01/13/2006 04:49:50 PM · #2
Its both, IMO. Shallow DOF isn't necessarily a requirement, but will definitely be the best technique to achieve it.
01/13/2006 05:04:00 PM · #3
And I'll ask a question if I may

How many people need to be in shot for them to be deemed a crowd ?

two?
three?
more?

bazz.
01/13/2006 05:06:04 PM · #4
Originally posted by sir_bazz:

And I'll ask a question if I may

How many people need to be in shot for them to be deemed a crowd ?

two?
three?
more?

bazz.


I was wondering the same thing. If there's only two or three, but it's clear somehow that there is probably a crowd around, will the image suffer? For me, I think 3 will probably constitute a crowd.

I've been out shooting candids of strangers (very painful, but satisfying in the end). However, the image I'll probably choose is the best, but could look staged to some. I'm sure it will suffer because of it.

Edit: to answer original OP

Message edited by author 2006-01-13 17:08:06.
01/13/2006 05:07:48 PM · #5
So will people be voted down if they use some other method other than DOF to isolate the subject? Color, brightness, compositional position etc.?
01/13/2006 05:08:43 PM · #6
Personally I will be looking for the following:

a) Does the photograph isolate the subject well, through any means available?
b) Does the subject seem aware they are being photographed?
c) As always, is it a good photograph technically and does it convey its purpose?

DOF, to me, seemed a hint or suggestion. I'm not canning on someone for not being "creative" so why would I do it for DOF if they succeeded otherwise?

A crowd to me seems to be more about "a bunch of people who may not know each other" rather than a number. But that's just a feeling. Like the good senator said about porn, "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."
01/13/2006 05:10:22 PM · #7
Originally posted by sir_bazz:

And I'll ask a question if I may

How many people need to be in shot for them to be deemed a crowd ?

two?
three?
more?

bazz.


dunno bazz.
I thought there needed to be a crowd, so went out and shot subjects in a crowd. Don't think I'll be a DNMC weanie for others who didn't. Just wondering how others interpreted.
01/13/2006 05:12:23 PM · #8
Originally posted by DrAchoo:

Personally I will be looking for the following:

a) Does the photograph isolate the subject well, through any means available?


Damn! I would have had a lot more keepers today if I stopped down more....

I'm bummin.

Belive me, trying to meet the Challenge even at 2.8 isn't easy
01/13/2006 05:13:33 PM · #9
Originally posted by DrAchoo:

.....Like the good senator said about porn, "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."


Hilarious. Completely agree
01/13/2006 05:15:16 PM · #10
With my voting guide, I would still expect some hits if you did not use shallow DOF...
01/13/2006 05:16:43 PM · #11
Originally posted by sir_bazz:

And I'll ask a question if I may

How many people need to be in shot for them to be deemed a crowd ?

two?
three?
more?

bazz.


"two's company, three is a crowd"

;)
01/13/2006 05:33:55 PM · #12
I should have thought this one out more before suggesting it.

Maybe it should have read:

Drop (overcome, be victorious over, best, better, conquer, exceed, excel, outdo, outplay, outrival, outrun, outshine, outstrip, overtake, overwhelm, subdue, surpass, top, transcend, triumph, vanquish, whip) your fear (anxiety, apprehension, cold feet, consternation, dismay, distress, dread, fear, fright, horror, nervousness, panic, scare, strain, stress, tension, terror, trepidation, unease, uneasiness) of candids (artful, cloak-and-dagger, closet, concealed, covert, foxy, fraudulent, furtive, hidden, hush-hush, illicit, private, sly, stealthy, surreptitious, under wraps, under-the-counter, undercover, underground) this week and single-out (choose, discriminate, elect, extract, glean, mark, opt for, optate, pluck, prefer, select, sift, take, thin, thin out, winnow) a person (being, bird, body, cat, chap, character, creature, customer, dude, fellow, guy, head, human, identity, individual, individuality, joker, lad, life, living soul, man, mortal, party, personage, personality, self, somebody, soul, specimen, spirit, unit) in a crowd (army, array, blowout, bunch, cattle, circle, clique, cloud, cluster, company, concourse, confluence, conflux, congeries, congregation, coterie, crew, crush, deluge, drove, faction, flock, flood, gaggle, great unwashed, group, herd, horde, host, jam, legion, lot, mass, masses, meet, mob, multitude, muster, organization, pack, party, people, posse, press, rabble, scores, sellout, set, stream, surge, swarm, throng) as your source of composition. Use minimal (atomic, diminutive, eentsy-weentsy, exact, exiguous, fine, inconsiderable, infinitesimal, insignificant, invisible, itsy-bitsy, itty-bitty, Lilliputian, little, microbic, microscopic, miniature, minim, minuscule, molecular, peewee, piddling, precise, pulverized, puny, slender, teensy, teeny-weeny, tiny, wee, weeny) depth-of-field to your advantage, to help isolate (detach, disconnect, disengage, dissociate, extract, isolate, part, remove, separate, steal, take away, take out, uncouple, withdraw) your subject, and as always, be creative (artistic, clever, cool, demiurgic, deviceful, fertile, formative, gifted, hep, hip, ingenious, innovational, innovative, innovatory, inspired, inventive, original, originative, productive, prolific, stimulating, visionary, way out.)

OK, I hope nobody thinks I am directing any of this at them.
Just my bizarre sense of humor.
01/13/2006 05:35:08 PM · #13
@ BradP: I like your sense of humor ;)
01/13/2006 05:47:05 PM · #14
So..

Vanquish your consternation of the surreptitious this week and optate a dude in a deluge as your source of composition. Use pulverized depth-of-field to your advantage, to help dissociate your subject, and as always, be hip.

sounds easy enough to me
01/13/2006 05:51:47 PM · #15
"two is company, three's a crowd - shoot the odd-man out."
01/13/2006 06:07:15 PM · #16
I can pretty much guarantee there will be shots of candids in which no crowd will be present, i.e. one person, or one person in a cluttered environment, etc, and so on and so on.

I know in mine, there are three, but only ONE can really be seen, not to be too specific. At least that is my present entry if I don't change it and keep it for an outtake.

Sometimes the most interesting shots can be not in a crowd, so it is a bit easier to be creative in that sense. In a crowd, many tend to act stoic, since so many others are around. When it is only one or two, you may find a shot you take of that one or two to be more interesting.

I will not be marking down based on crowds. I will only be looking for candids.

Rose

01/13/2006 06:33:37 PM · #17
Originally posted by Rose8699:

I can pretty much guarantee there will be shots of candids in which no crowd will be present, i.e. one person, or one person in a cluttered environment, etc, and so on and so on.

I know in mine, there are three, but only ONE can really be seen, not to be too specific. At least that is my present entry if I don't change it and keep it for an outtake.

Sometimes the most interesting shots can be not in a crowd, so it is a bit easier to be creative in that sense. In a crowd, many tend to act stoic, since so many others are around. When it is only one or two, you may find a shot you take of that one or two to be more interesting.

I will not be marking down based on crowds. I will only be looking for candids.

Rose


For me, the word "crowd" is pretty obviously referring to at least more than one. Candids with only one person will not do as well with me.

Bill
01/13/2006 07:41:02 PM · #18
Originally posted by BradP:

I should have thought this one out more before suggesting it.

Maybe it should have read:

Drop (overcome, be victorious over, best, better, conquer, exceed, excel, outdo, outplay, outrival, outrun, outshine, outstrip, overtake, overwhelm, subdue, surpass, top, transcend, triumph, vanquish, whip) your fear (anxiety, apprehension, cold feet, consternation, dismay, distress, dread, fear, fright, horror, nervousness, panic, scare, strain, stress, tension, terror, trepidation, unease, uneasiness) of candids (artful, cloak-and-dagger, closet, concealed, covert, foxy, fraudulent, furtive, hidden, hush-hush, illicit, private, sly, stealthy, surreptitious, under wraps, under-the-counter, undercover, underground) this week and single-out (choose, discriminate, elect, extract, glean, mark, opt for, optate, pluck, prefer, select, sift, take, thin, thin out, winnow) a person (being, bird, body, cat, chap, character, creature, customer, dude, fellow, guy, head, human, identity, individual, individuality, joker, lad, life, living soul, man, mortal, party, personage, personality, self, somebody, soul, specimen, spirit, unit) in a crowd (army, array, blowout, bunch, cattle, circle, clique, cloud, cluster, company, concourse, confluence, conflux, congeries, congregation, coterie, crew, crush, deluge, drove, faction, flock, flood, gaggle, great unwashed, group, herd, horde, host, jam, legion, lot, mass, masses, meet, mob, multitude, muster, organization, pack, party, people, posse, press, rabble, scores, sellout, set, stream, surge, swarm, throng) as your source of composition. Use minimal (atomic, diminutive, eentsy-weentsy, exact, exiguous, fine, inconsiderable, infinitesimal, insignificant, invisible, itsy-bitsy, itty-bitty, Lilliputian, little, microbic, microscopic, miniature, minim, minuscule, molecular, peewee, piddling, precise, pulverized, puny, slender, teensy, teeny-weeny, tiny, wee, weeny) depth-of-field to your advantage, to help isolate (detach, disconnect, disengage, dissociate, extract, isolate, part, remove, separate, steal, take away, take out, uncouple, withdraw) your subject, and as always, be creative (artistic, clever, cool, demiurgic, deviceful, fertile, formative, gifted, hep, hip, ingenious, innovational, innovative, innovatory, inspired, inventive, original, originative, productive, prolific, stimulating, visionary, way out.)

OK, I hope nobody thinks I am directing any of this at them.
Just my bizarre sense of humor.


I think I'm clear on almosy everything except for "the great unwashed"...my stock and trade. Now, how much soap they used I'm certain, will be a major point of contention, in the final tally. I'd also like a little more clarification about that whole middle part...between the Chicklets and the Black Lingerie

Message edited by author 2006-01-13 20:16:28.
01/13/2006 09:41:55 PM · #19
Originally posted by Gatorguy:

Originally posted by Rose8699:

I can pretty much guarantee there will be shots of candids in which no crowd will be present, i.e. one person, or one person in a cluttered environment, etc, and so on and so on.

I know in mine, there are three, but only ONE can really be seen, not to be too specific. At least that is my present entry if I don't change it and keep it for an outtake.

Sometimes the most interesting shots can be not in a crowd, so it is a bit easier to be creative in that sense. In a crowd, many tend to act stoic, since so many others are around. When it is only one or two, you may find a shot you take of that one or two to be more interesting.

I will not be marking down based on crowds. I will only be looking for candids.

Rose


For me, the word "crowd" is pretty obviously referring to at least more than one. Candids with only one person will not do as well with me.

Bill


Tis true, but you need to remember also, at least in my opinion, that it doesn't have to be a mass of people in one area. If someone is talking on a phone in a phone booth for example, and there are 2 others waiting in line but obscure to the subject and backs to the camera. That is still a crowd to me. If no one was waiting in line, but you could make out traffic and some people way in the background hailing cabs, that still means a crowd IS there, and just not so close they are breathing each others air.

I don't expect to see a lot of shots where there are 200 people massed together in one location shoulder to shoulder.

Rose

EDITED TO ADD: Then again, where I live, two people ARE a crowd! LOL...

Message edited by author 2006-01-13 21:43:28.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 03/31/2020 07:14:06 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 03/31/2020 07:14:06 AM EDT.