DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Will I be dissapointed going from a G6 to a 70d?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 19 of 19, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/19/2005 12:57:44 AM · #1
Or a 50d? Obviously the SLRS are capable of more. I was thinking in terms of image quality and the ability to crop. Would the difference in sensor size make the SLRS shots better? 7.1 mp vs. 6.1. Would this make a difference with the quality of these cameras?
12/19/2005 01:01:58 AM · #2
no you won't be dissapointed.
the diff btwn 6 and 7 mp is negligible.
the image quality on dSLRs is pretty much always better.
A print from a 4 mp dslr will usually look better than a print from a 7 mp p/s at same size. Bigger sensors (which the dslr's have) make better image quality.
12/19/2005 01:09:05 AM · #3
Originally posted by petrakka:

no you won't be dissapointed.
the diff btwn 6 and 7 mp is negligible.
the image quality on dSLRs is pretty much always better.
A print from a 4 mp dslr will usually look better than a print from a 7 mp p/s at same size. Bigger sensors (which the dslr's have) make better image quality.

So would I be able to crop fairly aggresively and have noticably better results from an dslr?
12/19/2005 01:35:50 AM · #4
Originally posted by A4wheelin:


So would I be able to crop fairly aggresively and have noticably better results from an dslr?


Definitely.

R.
12/19/2005 02:30:39 AM · #5
I made exactly this transition (from G6 to d70) about a year ago.

i would not say that the image quality is always noticeably better on dSLR - Canon G6 was able to capture pretty good quality images if conditions were right. However the range of conditions in which d70 will not fail you is MUCH wider than for a G6. with G6 I had hard time focussing at poor light conditions, or on moving subjects, or controlling DOF, to name a few. A dSLR will give you a chance to take a shot which you would not be able to take with G6.

However, there were a couple of things which I missed from my G6 era - the ability to carry the camera anywhere, and the ability to shoot surreptitiously, "from the lap". So, I went "back" and just bought a new Canon Powershot S2. It is going to be a complement to my d70, so I can take it on skiing trips, and I can take wonderful candid shots with it (200mm zoom and image stabilization come in handy :)). In other words, my advice is to definitely get a dSLR, but keep your G6, too.

Message edited by author 2005-12-19 03:54:16.
12/19/2005 01:10:44 PM · #6
Yeah, whatever I do I'm definitely keeping my G6. It's a great camera, and capable of some amazing shots.
12/19/2005 01:39:49 PM · #7
you won't be dissapointed, i went from 6.3mp to 4.06 and i'm not going back to my old camera, and it was a DSLR.
12/19/2005 01:43:37 PM · #8
I've been waiting for someone to say something like "Of course you'll be disappointed. You're switching to Nikon". I wouldn't say anything like that myself, you understand.
12/19/2005 02:18:49 PM · #9
I recently had to crop an engagement picture from my d70 to about 30-40% of its original size. My 8x10 picture came out flawless when printed. Im so amazed at the amount of detail a d70 picture can hold.

Crop without concern.
12/19/2005 02:22:34 PM · #10
In a word: No.
12/19/2005 02:22:48 PM · #11
Originally posted by Damian:

I recently had to crop an engagement picture from my d70 to about 30-40% of its original size. My 8x10 picture came out flawless when printed. Im so amazed at the amount of detail a d70 picture can hold.

Crop without concern.


...almost as much detail as a Canon...couldn't resist. ;o)
12/19/2005 06:21:36 PM · #12
Originally posted by Brent_Ward:

Originally posted by Damian:

I recently had to crop an engagement picture from my d70 to about 30-40% of its original size. My 8x10 picture came out flawless when printed. Im so amazed at the amount of detail a d70 picture can hold.

Crop without concern.


...almost as much detail as a Canon...couldn't resist. ;o)

LOL.
12/19/2005 07:24:25 PM · #13
I did a print of 20x24 inc. and it was flawless. A bit of upsampling and a original tiff might helped it but it was fantastic. I love my D70 (that's why I have 2 of them and not a Canon... Ok I also couldn't resist :) )
12/19/2005 07:56:37 PM · #14
Originally posted by Nuno:

I did a print of 20x24 inc. and it was flawless. A bit of upsampling and a original tiff might helped it but it was fantastic. I love my D70 (that's why I have 2 of them and not a Canon... Ok I also couldn't resist :) )


It's aproven fact that the current nikon chip technology is inferior to Canon's line of sensors. At least you wide angle glass is better. :P
12/19/2005 07:58:18 PM · #15
You'll love it! I've switched from Canon S40 to D70 and interestingly enough I learned how to take better pictures with my P&S. So I keep them both handy.

Speaking of ski trips… I never go without my S40.
//www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php?action=read&FORUM_THREAD_ID=317489

Nick


12/19/2005 08:03:46 PM · #16
what I don't understand is why you would want to switch to Nikon, you have a Canon, you probably know your camera pretty well, know all settings and what they do, and yet you are thinking about switching to Nikon.. why?

all Canon Cameras are the same, that is.. if you learn all settings on one camera you can use them all. the DSLR cameras have the same settings as the Powershot, they just have interchangable lenses, better CCD, higher ISO, cost more and are bigger and heavier ;)

but to go from Canon to Nikon, you'd have to learn everything from scratch... different settings, diffferrent places for the buttons, and more...

stick to Canon, get the 350D or the 20D, you can take it directly from the box, put a lens on it and start shooting, there's nothing you'll need to learn to start, the extra knowledge comes later ;)
12/19/2005 08:53:16 PM · #17
Originally posted by DanSig:

what I don't understand is why you would want to switch to Nikon, you have a Canon, you probably know your camera pretty well, know all settings and what they do, and yet you are thinking about switching to Nikon.. why?

all Canon Cameras are the same, that is.. if you learn all settings on one camera you can use them all. the DSLR cameras have the same settings as the Powershot, they just have interchangable lenses, better CCD, higher ISO, cost more and are bigger and heavier ;)

but to go from Canon to Nikon, you'd have to learn everything from scratch... different settings, diffferrent places for the buttons, and more...

stick to Canon, get the 350D or the 20D, you can take it directly from the box, put a lens on it and start shooting, there's nothing you'll need to learn to start, the extra knowledge comes later ;)


I know. I want a 20D but can't afford it. And I don't like the way the 350xt "feels". So I would be settling if I got the Nikon. I'm still going to wait and see if Canon replaces the 20d this spring. Then I'll just pick up the "old" one for cheaper.
12/20/2005 12:37:35 PM · #18
Good move, except I would make one further recommendation.

Don't see what the 350 feels like by itself, check it out with a battery grip. You might be amazed at what it does for the camera.

The feel of a 350 with a battery grip is arguably better than a 20d without one.

The bonus is that if you really want to take something small with you one day, you can pull it off and slap a 50mm lens on it to use as a more portable alternative.

Ultimately, it's up to you, but definitely don't make a decision against the 350 until you have actually held it with the battery grip.

An ex-pro friend of mine felt the same way about his 300D until he got the BG. He used to shoot top end Nikon F series pro bodies. He feels his 300D has the same feel, but is lighter and more portable.

If you are at all considering moving to the 20d later (as I am doing, waiting until after the replacement comes out in feb... hopefully), DEFINITELY don't go Nikon. Nikon makes great cameras and great lenses, but tend to be a bit more costly on the glass and you will lose a bunch of money switching back over.

Bide your time, consider slowly and make wise decisions.

You still have the G6.
12/20/2005 09:05:55 PM · #19
Originally posted by eschelar:

Good move, except I would make one further recommendation.

Don't see what the 350 feels like by itself, check it out with a battery grip. You might be amazed at what it does for the camera.

The feel of a 350 with a battery grip is arguably better than a 20d without one.

The bonus is that if you really want to take something small with you one day, you can pull it off and slap a 50mm lens on it to use as a more portable alternative.

Ultimately, it's up to you, but definitely don't make a decision against the 350 until you have actually held it with the battery grip.

An ex-pro friend of mine felt the same way about his 300D until he got the BG. He used to shoot top end Nikon F series pro bodies. He feels his 300D has the same feel, but is lighter and more portable.

If you are at all considering moving to the 20d later (as I am doing, waiting until after the replacement comes out in feb... hopefully), DEFINITELY don't go Nikon. Nikon makes great cameras and great lenses, but tend to be a bit more costly on the glass and you will lose a bunch of money switching back over.

Bide your time, consider slowly and make wise decisions.

You still have the G6.


Thanks for tip. I'll try that out.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 03/28/2020 09:12:52 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 03/28/2020 09:12:52 AM EDT.