DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Out and About >> 21 and under club...
Pages:  
Showing posts 26 - 50 of 131, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/14/2005 04:34:31 PM · #26
Originally posted by OdysseyF22:

I'm 20 and a photog for my school paper, where I dominate the sports section :D Boo-yah!! I'm a Creative Writing major but have far more fun taking pictures than actually doing school work...
Speaking of which, I've got my last final tomorrow, and it's gonna eat me alive!! Why'd I take forensic anthropology, anyway??


My last final is tommorow morning at 7:30 AM....why do they torture us like this? 7:30...that's just cruel.

I wish I could dominate any section of a newspaper...I need to get a job.... Well....at least I dominate the freelance section of my house.
12/14/2005 05:07:43 PM · #27
Originally posted by stare_at_the_sun:

My last final is tommorow morning at 7:30 AM....why do they torture us like this? 7:30...that's just cruel.

I wish I could dominate any section of a newspaper...I need to get a job.... Well....at least I dominate the freelance section of my house.

Geeze, and I was irate over my 830 final this morning...I feel for ya' man! They just LOVE to torture us, for the sheer sadistic pleasure of it ;D
I suppose I should qualify a bit about dominating...I've always got pics in the sports section, but it's more because we have a shortage of newspaper staff, and I'm about the only one that makes all the meetings and takes assigments. *sigh* Not as glamourous as it sounds.
Wish I were the Photo Editor - especially 'cause we just got 2 20Ds.
12/14/2005 05:42:36 PM · #28
I'm 21 for... well till a few days after new years. I'll be a second semester senior at Udel in the spring. Music Performance major (violin). I'll be staying in Newark Delaware to study with my current violin teacher, during my year off before grad school. Hopefully gettin my first apartment in june. Should be exciting, and fun I hope.
12/14/2005 05:44:36 PM · #29
One of the film showing groups here shows a porn movie every semester :)
12/14/2005 05:48:26 PM · #30
I'm Justin, 17, a senior in High school. I'll be attending college next fall at which time I hope to get on as a photographer for the school newspaper.
12/14/2005 06:02:04 PM · #31
Originally posted by kyebosh:

I'm 21 for... well till a few days after new years. I'll be a second semester senior at Udel in the spring. Music Performance major (violin). I'll be staying in Newark Delaware to study with my current violin teacher, during my year off before grad school. Hopefully gettin my first apartment in june. Should be exciting, and fun I hope.


That's a sweet major...deffinately a lot more interesting than most.

I'm going to see King Kong tonight...should be a good time.
12/14/2005 06:32:36 PM · #32
Hi everyone. My name is Kita and I am only 8. Even though I haven't won any ribbons yet I really enjoy my photography and viewing all the wonderful images on this site. Good luck to all of you.

Kita
12/14/2005 08:12:05 PM · #33
I'm 20, but not for too much longer! I'm a junior at the University of Denver, majoring in Digital Media Studies, but I'm spending this year abroad in China, which is completly unrelated to my major. That said, its still a great experience. I finished the first semester, I'm currently home for a break but I'll be going back in February.
12/14/2005 08:21:41 PM · #34
Originally posted by bfox2:

I'm 20, but not for too much longer! I'm a junior at the University of Denver, majoring in Digital Media Studies, but I'm spending this year abroad in China, which is completly unrelated to my major. That said, its still a great experience. I finished the first semester, I'm currently home for a break but I'll be going back in February.

I went to china for a month on a study abroad last winter. It really is an amazing thing, and i'd love to go back.
12/14/2005 08:28:54 PM · #35
Hello!, Im Justin 17 year old senior in high school and I obviously like to take photographs. Im thinking to study photography in college and hope to study abroad somewhere, but as of now im undesised (don't know what field I would be best at). I shoot family portraits, executive portraits, model portfolios, and senior portraits but Im getting tired of it because it feels like a job (something im going to have to get used too plus it gets me $$$$)...mmm i take photos for my schools newspaper and i like to enter contests (specially with prizes!) ;) thats all LOL

12/14/2005 10:11:48 PM · #36
Ok, it seems like many of you college guys are studying photography, or are on the school newspaper and stuff. I'm wondering what benefits you get from that? I've never taken a photography class and, to be ignorant and honest, I dunno how I feel about them.
For example, I know that you don't really go to film school to learn filmmaking, but to meet people who can give you a leg up in the industry. The only way you'll ever learn film is to be on a set, not a classroom. But photography is so independent I wonder what you can really get out of studying it? With taking those basic classes you have to take, wouldn't you just be re-learning things you already do naturally (saying if you're like elsapo and rock naturally)? And wouldn't that kind of set you back?

I dunno, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with my life. I mean, I know what I want, but I was just wondering what all your guys' take was on the college thing.

Thanks. :)

12/14/2005 10:16:53 PM · #37
I started on the student paper as a writer last year, but they screwed me over, so I changed departments. Photography is more fun, anyway. But in our paper at least, they don't teach us a lot. Our editor has everyone shoot on App or Time Priority, doesn't teach them to use full M mode, doesn't teach any real skills, just sort of advanced point, shoot, and submit. It's disappointing. I just do it to see my stuff in print ;D
As far as classes go, BU doesn't really offer many, and I wouldn't take many if they did. The "School of Hard Knocks" is better, in my mind. I'm actually interning with the campus photographer for a credit, and I've learned more from just working with him on shoots than I ever would in a class. It's awesome!
And I haven't heard from you in forever, drop a line sometime! :D
12/15/2005 12:50:38 AM · #38
Originally posted by NightShy:

Ok, it seems like many of you college guys are studying photography, or are on the school newspaper and stuff. I'm wondering what benefits you get from that? I've never taken a photography class and, to be ignorant and honest, I dunno how I feel about them.
For example, I know that you don't really go to film school to learn filmmaking, but to meet people who can give you a leg up in the industry. The only way you'll ever learn film is to be on a set, not a classroom. But photography is so independent I wonder what you can really get out of studying it? With taking those basic classes you have to take, wouldn't you just be re-learning things you already do naturally (saying if you're like elsapo and rock naturally)? And wouldn't that kind of set you back?

I dunno, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with my life. I mean, I know what I want, but I was just wondering what all your guys' take was on the college thing.

Thanks. :)


I'm studying photojournalism and for me, it really is just re-learning things you already know. But that makes the classes really easy and fun....as opposed to being a first timer. But I think the real reason I'm doing it is because most magazines and newspapers won't really look at your portfolio unless you have a colelge diploma. So it's not really a matter of learning new things....it's just a matter of getting a signed piece of paper that tells employers that you know what you are doing.

That's my take on it...
12/15/2005 04:10:58 AM · #39
I don't think I'm likely to ever take a photography class...it's just something for me to do and I don't plan on making it part of my career, and besides, my schedule's already packed full (I'm a CS major taking an art minor >_<)
12/15/2005 04:15:35 AM · #40
Originally posted by modgethanc:

I don't think I'm likely to ever take a photography class...it's just something for me to do and I don't plan on making it part of my career, and besides, my schedule's already packed full (I'm a CS major taking an art minor >_<)


My roomate is a CS major...fun stuff...

Hey...do you have yahoo messenger? I'm still up at 3 a.m. and don't have anyone to talk to...al my roomies are asleep.
12/15/2005 04:39:42 AM · #41
Hey Im 21! its 4:30am and im writing my LAST essay! i cant take it anymore. ugh! gotta get back instead of looking at pictures :(
12/15/2005 05:11:34 AM · #42
Originally posted by stare_at_the_sun:



My roomate is a CS major...fun stuff...

Hey...do you have yahoo messenger? I'm still up at 3 a.m. and don't have anyone to talk to...al my roomies are asleep.


Once upon a time, Y!M was my favorite messenger, but I couldn't convince enough AIM users to convert so I stopped using it.

I could potentially go download it again, but if you have AIM (me: andhismodgethanc) it'll be easier :D (as I type this I'm already browsing for Y!M anyway...I'll be on as 'helzula')

Add: and I'm on skype (modgethanc), as well, if you use it.

Message edited by author 2005-12-15 05:13:29.
12/15/2005 07:11:43 AM · #43
I'm a loser.

and still 15.

what, now?
12/15/2005 10:05:11 AM · #44
Originally posted by modgethanc:

(I'm a CS major taking an art minor

I'm probably going to major in CS as well. What can I expect?
12/15/2005 10:07:20 AM · #45
Originally posted by elsapo:

Hello!, Im Justin 17 year old senior in high school...

Hey there Justin ;-)
12/15/2005 10:11:58 AM · #46
Originally posted by danica22:

bachelor of commerce in business management... four years-so i'm pretty excited that i'm finally finished, and no better way to celebrate it like a holiday to brazil-leaving on friday!!


Ooh Cool, where are you going? I lived there for a year!
12/15/2005 12:21:37 PM · #47
Staying in rio, ipanema to be exact... Stayed in copacabana last yr which was really nice as well but hoping its a little less dangerous in ipanema. Where did u stay?
12/15/2005 12:29:48 PM · #48
yo, I'm topher.
I'm 18 and studying at ohio institute of Photography (the number two photography school in the nation!). I have finals this week too, but I'm on dpc also...
I am around, some weeks more than other. I also work at sears port. studio so I'm always busy and don't hardly ever get to shoot for myself anymore. I will have three weeks off from school at the end of this week though so I'm hoping to get to shoot and process and post for myself then.
12/15/2005 12:52:22 PM · #49
Originally posted by danica22:

Staying in rio, ipanema to be exact... Stayed in copacabana last yr which was really nice as well but hoping its a little less dangerous in ipanema. Where did u stay?


I stayed in Sao Paulo, but went to Rio for a week and we had our hotel on Copacabana. Maybe I'm crazy but it didn't seem to dangerous with all the lights, and police walking around. :-P Do you speak any portuguese?
12/15/2005 01:35:37 PM · #50
I'm 21.. for nine more days, at least.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 05/26/2020 06:11:54 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 05/26/2020 06:11:54 AM EDT.