DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> How do you vote?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 23 of 23, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/25/2005 02:16:12 PM · #1
Ever wonder how your challenge voting habits compare to the "average" voter?

I put together a utility that will analyze your votes on any particular challenge and generates a report. The results aren't saved anywhere nor shared with anyone.

If you want to try it out, I posted it at //www.sn3creations.com/trollcheck.asp

Instructions for how to feed your challenge votes into it are on the page. The instructions look long, but it just spells everything out in detail.
11/25/2005 02:18:31 PM · #2
booooring

nee just kidding :D

still i wouldnt mind havin the formula on how people vote ;)
prolly get me a ribbon or two ;)
11/25/2005 02:27:18 PM · #3
Greetings,
OK, the above listed steps yeilded this for the trypytch challenge...

SUMMARY

Total votes: 232
Average difference from final score: -0.4654
Average ABSOLUTE difference from final score: 0.8932
# of votes more than 1 pt off final score: 82
# of votes more than 2 pts off final score
# of votes Below the final score 179
# of votes Over the final score 53

Now, could someone please put this in english? What does it all mean?

Mike
//www.mikefairbanks.com

Message edited by author 2005-11-25 14:27:53.
11/25/2005 02:36:12 PM · #4
Well here are my results from single light source.

Total votes: 287
Average difference from final score: -0.2271
Average ABSOLUTE difference from final score: 0.5906
# of votes more than 1 pt off final score: 52
# of votes more than 2 pts off final score
# of votes Below the final score 174
# of votes Over the final score 112

So what exactly does all of this mean? BTW thats some pretty cool work to get that done.

MattO



11/25/2005 02:38:32 PM · #5
While this is an interesting exercise, when I run it repeatedly over the same challenge, I get a different number of votes cast/analyzed each time...

R.
11/25/2005 02:48:04 PM · #6
Originally posted by mfairbanks:

Greetings,
OK, the above listed steps yeilded this for the trypytch challenge...

SUMMARY

Total votes: 232
Average difference from final score: -0.4654
Average ABSOLUTE difference from final score: 0.8932
# of votes more than 1 pt off final score: 82
# of votes more than 2 pts off final score
# of votes Below the final score 179
# of votes Over the final score 53

Now, could someone please put this in english? What does it all mean?

Mike
//www.mikefairbanks.com


Here's the author's interpretation:

On average, your vote was .465 below how the universe voted. This measures your scoring relative to everyone else.

The absolute difference is a measurement of how far from the final score (+ or -) your typical vote is.

The difference between the average and absolute is that if you had 2 votes, one 1pt above and one 1pt below the score, your average would be a difference of zero, while the absolute variance would be 1. Kinda like the beta coefficient for stocks.

82 votes (rougly 33%) of the votes cast were more than one point different than the final score - it just shows that you didn't agree with the consensus on a significant # of the entries.

The numbers below and above the final score shows that you had more of a tendency to vote below the average score than above it.

The far right column on the report flags the entries where your vote was more than 1 pt off from the average.

How to use the data? It can be helpful to see if you have a trend of voting up or down certain types of entries, or for self-inspection of whether you are being more harsh or more generous than the general population.

Think of it as useful trivia.
11/25/2005 02:49:36 PM · #7
Originally posted by bear_music:

While this is an interesting exercise, when I run it repeatedly over the same challenge, I get a different number of votes cast/analyzed each time...

R.


Not happy to hear that - would you be willing to PM me the source you used as input? I would love to use it for debugging.

Thanks.
11/25/2005 03:02:53 PM · #8
Originally posted by northrop3:

Originally posted by bear_music:

While this is an interesting exercise, when I run it repeatedly over the same challenge, I get a different number of votes cast/analyzed each time...

R.


Not happy to hear that - would you be willing to PM me the source you used as input? I would love to use it for debugging.

Thanks.


Whoot. I tried that and it looks as if the whole thing was sent as HTML to you. I used single light source, where I voted on all images, and got a range of between 60 and 167 votes cast on 3 tries.

Let me know if I can help further.

R.
11/25/2005 03:20:33 PM · #9
That's weird Robert, I tried it several times on Tryptich, which I voted on all, and I get the same results every time....
11/25/2005 03:28:41 PM · #10
Originally posted by bear_music:

Originally posted by northrop3:

Originally posted by bear_music:

While this is an interesting exercise, when I run it repeatedly over the same challenge, I get a different number of votes cast/analyzed each time...

R.


Not happy to hear that - would you be willing to PM me the source you used as input? I would love to use it for debugging.

Thanks.


Whoot. I tried that and it looks as if the whole thing was sent as HTML to you. I used single light source, where I voted on all images, and got a range of between 60 and 167 votes cast on 3 tries.

Let me know if I can help further.

R.


Thanks - I just finished going through what you sent - I did see a problem where it is stumbling on the DQ'd images and have fixed that, but have tried inputting the data you sent multiple times and keep getting the same results. I will keep looking though.

Thanks for the assistance!
11/25/2005 03:39:39 PM · #11
Just tried it with pumpkins and it works fine.

R.
11/25/2005 03:42:57 PM · #12
Very nice. One thing that I would like to see, and it's probably already being summed/averaged, is my avg vote for the entire challenge that I plug in. I know it shows the +/- difference at the end of mine against the total avg...just being lazy. ;^)
11/25/2005 03:46:19 PM · #13
Triptych

Total votes: 150
Average difference from final score: -0.0054
Average ABSOLUTE difference from final score: 0.7737
# of votes more than 1 pt off final score: 30
# of votes more than 2 pts off final score 8
# of votes Below the final score 86
# of votes Over the final score 64
Your average vote: 5.6667

Fauna - the first challenge I voted/entered just for comparison

Total votes: 312
Average difference from final score: -0.4142
Average ABSOLUTE difference from final score: 1.1454
# of votes more than 1 pt off final score: 107
# of votes more than 2 pts off final score 44
# of votes Below the final score 210
# of votes Over the final score 102
Your average vote: 4.8462


Message edited by author 2005-11-25 15:53:43.
11/25/2005 03:48:52 PM · #14
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Very nice. One thing that I would like to see, and it's probably already being summed/averaged, is my avg vote for the entire challenge that I plug in. I know it shows the +/- difference at the end of mine against the total avg...just being lazy. ;^)


Good thought - just added it to the bottom of the report.
11/25/2005 03:52:33 PM · #15
Originally posted by northrop3:

Originally posted by glad2badad:

Very nice. One thing that I would like to see, and it's probably already being summed/averaged, is my avg vote for the entire challenge that I plug in. I know it shows the +/- difference at the end of mine against the total avg...just being lazy. ;^)


Good thought - just added it to the bottom of the report.


That's a good idea, interesting you called it a trollcheck !!
11/25/2005 03:54:17 PM · #16
what do the 4 stars off to the right mean?
11/25/2005 03:55:25 PM · #17
Originally posted by keegbow:

That's a good idea, interesting you called it a trollcheck !!


My sense of humor is a bit dry. Glad you noticed.
11/25/2005 03:56:45 PM · #18
Originally posted by wavelength:

what do the 4 stars off to the right mean?


It just flags the entries where your vote was more than one pt of the final score that entry got - makes it easier to see the ones you may want to look at to see why your opinion differed from the crowd.
11/25/2005 04:12:02 PM · #19
bust post...

Message edited by author 2005-11-25 16:17:14.
11/25/2005 04:25:16 PM · #20
I kept getting a exceeded time to execute error...

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'
Script timed out

/trollcheck2.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.


Message edited by author 2005-11-25 16:28:20.
11/25/2005 04:33:50 PM · #21
Well, that error was on single light source. I got triptych to work.

Total votes: 228
Average difference from final score: 0.3675
Average ABSOLUTE difference from final score: 0.8269
# of votes more than 1 pt off final score: 63
# of votes more than 2 pts off final score 14
# of votes Below the final score 86
# of votes Over the final score 142
Your average vote: 6.0044

Looks like I'm officially off the troll list.
11/25/2005 04:50:33 PM · #22
Originally posted by DrAchoo:

I kept getting a exceeded time to execute error...

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'
Script timed out

/trollcheck2.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.


I just upped the timeout to 2 minutes..
01/06/2021 08:41:51 PM · #23
Originally posted by Nobody:

Ever wonder how your challenge voting habits compare to the "average" voter?

I put together a utility that will analyze your votes on any particular challenge and generates a report. The results aren't saved anywhere nor shared with anyone.

If you want to try it out, I posted it at //www.sn3creations.com/trollcheck.asp

Instructions for how to feed your challenge votes into it are on the page. The instructions look long, but it just spells everything out in detail.

Some things don't last forever (or as long as DPChallenge anyway). I was looking thru my 'Watched Threads' and thought this would be interesting to play with. Dead link now. :-(
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/17/2021 05:15:14 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/17/2021 05:15:14 PM EST.